Please login or register

AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: age of wonders masters collection
posted 08-24-04 06:59 AM EDT (US)   
i just recently purchased aow from a local target store. it's not the medieval masters compilation though. it's just the first two aow games on two disks. [oddly, the disks are labelled wrong and aow2 is on the disk labelled just plain aow, and vice versa.] anyhow, i can't seem to patch the game, and was looking forward to trying out some of the mods.

can anyone help me? thanks in advance.

Replies:
posted 08-24-04 07:08 AM EDT (US)     1 / 8  
oh yeah. it comes prepatched to version 1.36.0054. but none of the patches or mods seem to like the filesize or whatever and won't load correctly.
posted 08-24-04 09:22 AM EDT (US)     2 / 8  
Well, 1.36 is the most recent patch for AoW1, so that'd be why you can't patch it

Not sure about AoW2, haven't played that one in a while.

posted 08-24-04 10:09 AM EDT (US)     3 / 8  
However, 1.36.0054 is the version which came with the Medieval Masters compilation, from whence DevEdit came...

Try running the 1.36.0053 patch on it. If that doesn't work you could try running the 1.00 patch on it first, but do so AT YOUR OWN RISK (no guarantee your computer won't die....).

===================================== Alphax =====================================
============= LASFS Operative #4 =============
The VoW Inn
"I'll bribe you to change the inn link in your sig." -- TDK
================================================================================
posted 08-24-04 01:48 PM EDT (US)     4 / 8  
thanks for y'all help so far. which patch is the 1.36.0053 patch? i tried a patch that didn't say invalid filesize, but it now asks for the disk, even though the aow disk is in the drive.
posted 08-26-04 10:23 AM EDT (US)     5 / 8  
What?? I don't think I had to put the disk in when I patched it - I know I did for AoW2...

The 1.36.0053 (aka. 1.36) patch should be here, if it still doesn't work, email me and I'll try to send you the files that are required.

===================================== Alphax =====================================
============= LASFS Operative #4 =============
The VoW Inn
"I'll bribe you to change the inn link in your sig." -- TDK
================================================================================

[This message has been edited by Alphax (edited 08-26-2004 @ 10:25 AM).]

posted 09-17-04 12:51 PM EDT (US)     6 / 8  
So i'm not the only one with the problem.. I tried patching to 1.36.0053, myself, and it's asking for the disc, even though it's in the drive. It's almost as if the masters collection discs.. are, well... fake. It's like they are illegal copies of AoW and AoW2 with labels put on them improperly.
posted 09-17-04 08:44 PM EDT (US)     7 / 8  
There is no point whatsoever in downpatching from 1.36.0054 to 1.36.0053, and (as you've discovered) attempting to do so will actually break the game.

Build 1.36.0053 was the last revision level for the game distributed, and applies only if you have the 1.00 disks. Build 1.36.0054 was made later specifically for the Medieval Masters Collection and incorporated all of the patches to date. Additionally, it removed the disk checking code of the original 1.00+ release. Hence "patching" that down to 1.36.0053 adds in copy protection code that will fail, since it looks for a verification signature that was not included on the CD.

There was a "patch" for the Mrdieval Masters CD, but it was merely to correct a graphics file placement problem in the installer. Itdid not add or update any code, data files, or maps. Your best option then is to reinstall from your original CD's You lose no functionality by doing so.

ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum

[This message has been edited by ChowGuy (edited 09-17-2004 @ 08:44 PM).]

posted 09-18-04 03:27 AM EDT (US)     8 / 8  
Actually, there is a reason, unless we can downpatch, there's no way for those of us with the Medieval/Masters Collection to install any of the AoW mods. Since the EXE version is 1.36.0054 instead of 1.36.0053.
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies » age of wonders masters collection
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames