AoW1 Technical Help
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AoW crashing on Win7
posted 04-17-11 01:42 PM EDT (US)   
Hey guys.
I've got a problem. As the headline says AoW crashs often without any reason in the game. ( I mean, without doing anything special. E.g. just moving a unit, BAM crash ... ) I have Windows 7 so I guess that's the problem, because on my old computer with win XP (sp2) it runs without problems. So I've tried to run AoW in kompatibility ( hard word .. ) mode. I don't know, if it helped but now my own created maps didn't appear on the list ..
Please help ! ^^

Edit: So, if the crash happens the game freezes and when I swith to the desktop there are tons of errors. One I can remember, something like: "exception during draw" . It happens on custom Maps but also on original maps, like after the fall.
OR it just switchs to the desktop and it says "AoW is broken" or something like that ( don't know the english version of it ) And it says it's looking for a Solution for this Problem, but nothing happens.

UPDATE: Okay, even though nobody helped me I'll update the thread for people, that maybe will have the same problems.
To run AoW on Win7 you have to use the Compatibility Mode of Win98. Also you have to install the Game outside of the Program-Files folder , because otherwise you won't be able to see your custom maps - neither in the folder , nor ingame in the list. I actually run the game with administrator-rights, but I don't know if that is needed.

greetings,
TheHiddenOne

[This message has been edited by TheHiddenOne (edited 04-21-2011 @ 07:53 AM).]

Replies:
posted 05-16-11 07:56 AM EDT (US)     1 / 2  
Will it atleast start in Win7. Or is there any way to force it to run?
posted 05-16-11 01:17 PM EDT (US)     2 / 2  
One thing you should know is that Windows 7 has something called User Account Control (UAC). Which basically means your game files will be held in a virtual folder under you user account on the disk;

So for example;

Original: C:\Program Files (x86)\Age of Wonders\Custom

Virtual: C:\Users\*UserName*\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Age of Wonders\Custom

One thing which may help is for you to turn off the UAC. Just Google "Disable UAC in Windows 7".

Also your crashes may be caused by the graphics settings, it might be worth it to run the setup again, make sure the resolution is a native resolution for the screen (i.e. the same as what you run Windows in, or try Windowed).

Also make sure you have the latest graphics driver for your device and DirectX is up to date.
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Technical Help » AoW crashing on Win7
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames