Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: September PBEM Tourney - Round 1 Started
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 08-23-07 11:31 PM EDT (US)   
PBEM Tourney Sign Up Begins NOW!

With close to 15 new multiplayer maps to choose from we will start a PBEM tourney. We’ll see how many participants we get but this is how I imagine it will play out….

Map Choice I will choose a few maps from the multi-player maps submitted during the Aug 2007 mapmaking competition (feel free to recommend but the judges score card will likely dictate what maps we play).

Type of game depending on the map we will play a 1v1 and/or a 4 person FFA. (I’m thinking the early round will be a couple FFA’s on more than one map then the next rounds will go to a 1v1).

Example With 8 participants (wouldn’t it be nice if we had 20 ) and with 3 maps I’ll randomize players so there are 3 games going on 4 person FFA games. Points will be given based on the WL scoring for FFA games. Take the top 4 and play a 1v1, then the finals with another 1v1.

The intent is to get many games going with the new maps. Early round will be at least 3 games for all participants.

Sign up below, I’ll add registered players names as they sign up (yes, I’m signing up)

Also, I’d like to know if you want these games to be Wizard Ladder games, make your preferences known.

Registration is now open and will close Sept 9th with games starting as soon as I can throw it all together.

Registered Players

1.Enginerd
2.Artic Wolf
3.Talic
4.Dan Petersson
5.CrazySlyHawk
6.Disenchanted
7. Zsaber
8.Jetrall
9.Xiados
10. Codius
11. Eriksson
12. ZiggySparrow Thorongil
13. GillB
14. Themak3

Round 1 Games Bracket!

Whispers in the Wind
(Humans - CSH)(Elves - AW)(Goblin - Xiad)(Drow - Gill)
(Humans - Thorongil)(Elves - Jetrall)(Goblin -Eng)(Drow - AW)
(Humans -Talic)(Elves -Cod)(Goblin - Zsaber)(Drow - Jetrall)
(Humans -Xiados)(Elves -Disen)(Goblin -Thorongil)(Drow - Codius)

The Days of the Charlatan
(Highman -Thorongil)(Half - Zsaber)(Elf - Gillb)(Dwarf - Eriksson)
(Highman -Disen)(Half - CSH)(Elf - DanP)(Dwarf - Zsaber)
(Highman - Gillb)(Half - Themak)(Elf - Jetrall)(Dwarf - Disenchanted)
(Highman -Codius)(Half -Erik)(Elf - Enginerd)(Dwarf - CSH)

Wargod Tourney
(Human - Codius)(Lizard - AW)(Elf - DanP)(Half - TheMak)
(Human - TheMak)(Lizard - Talic)(Elf - CSH)(Half - Thorongil)
(Human - Xiados)(Lizard -DanP)(Elf - Eriksson)(Half - Jetrall)

Circle of Life
(Elf - Disen)(Half -Talic)(Dwarf - AW)(Highman - Eriksson)
(Elf - Zsaber)(Half - Enginerd)(Dwarf - Themak)(Highman - Xiados)
(Elf - DanP)(Half - Gillb)(Dwarf - Talic)(Highman - Enginerd)

Turn logs and Turns sent out!

Those in favor of WL

Enginerd - yes
Disenchanted - yes
Eriksson - yes
Xiados - yes
Zsaber - yes

[This message has been edited by Enginerd (edited 09-17-2007 @ 07:46 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08-24-07 06:20 PM EDT (US)     1 / 113  
If the maps are kept small (ie small or medium sixed maps only) for the first couple of rounds and safeguards are in place for absenteeism then I shall participate.

These tournament tend to bog down if larger maps are used and if players take a week off at a time without appointing a proxy.

(Afterall Enginerd needs at least one player to thump!)
posted 08-25-07 07:35 AM EDT (US)     2 / 113  
2.Talic

a) but I have problems with installing Warlock (Enginerd you said you will figure it out)

b) I am not so sure that my AoW1 experiences are high enough
posted 08-25-07 10:40 PM EDT (US)     3 / 113  
Artic Wolf - Well.... if one of your maps is small enough it will likely be a suitable choice for a game in one of the rounds.... you know how I love your insane versions . Yes... we'll work hard to keep the tourney flowing and not take years to complete, posted absences will be expected and I'll do what I can keep it moving.

Talic - We won't be playing warlocks, this will be standard TS136 (and yes... we must help figure out that warlocks thing, thanks for the reminder). The best way to improve your skills is to keep playing and you may be surprised how well you do, don't let your lack of experience slow you down.

Only 2!!!! I'm sure there will be more.... Everyone must be busy finishing up their maps
posted 08-26-07 04:26 PM EDT (US)     4 / 113  
Count me in. I love playing AoW1 again!

Itīs nice to be important, but itīs more important to be nice.
posted 08-26-07 06:25 PM EDT (US)     5 / 113  
After mulling it over for awhile, I decided I'll play too. Sign me up

Edit; Not my own map, lol!!

Token Irish Gamer!

[This message has been edited by CrazySlyHawk (edited 08-28-2007 @ 08:37 AM).]

posted 08-28-07 03:05 AM EDT (US)     6 / 113  
This is going to great - sign me up!

I think they should all be ladder games.

edit: maybe you could explain your math - why would you want to make 3 games on a 4-player map for 8 players? That's 12 slots for 8 players?? Help I'm confused!

(at least I got to use a new emoticon)

[This message has been edited by disenchanted (edited 08-28-2007 @ 05:37 AM).]

posted 08-28-07 06:10 PM EDT (US)     7 / 113  
maybe you could explain your math
I'd love to.... but I have to figure it out first

Basically... we'll wait to see how many people sign up. Then I'll figure out the best way to make brackets out of that... the goal is for everyone to get a chance to play at least 3 games in the first round before being knocked out. I'm thinking the first round will be FFA games with 4 players that may move into 1v1 games in the latter rounds. It also depends on the maps as I want to highlight ones from the tourney. I must see what is available.

Sorry to be vague... but we'll certainly have fun and I will certainly spell out the math to you before we start so everyone knows what the structure looks like.

And... it looks like I need to update the header and add some names
posted 08-31-07 01:31 AM EDT (US)     8 / 113  
Oh good, I'm not too late to sign up for the tourney. Count me in! That would make me the 7th player. Hopefully we'll get a few more .

Edit: maybe we should advertise it in the main forum or something.

[This message has been edited by Zsaber81 (edited 08-31-2007 @ 01:37 AM).]

posted 08-31-07 05:16 PM EDT (US)     9 / 113  
I agree with Zsaber. I suggest that you put up some advertisement on the AoW Heaven start page and also add a topic in the PBEM section. That could do the trick!

Itīs nice to be important, but itīs more important to be nice.
posted 08-31-07 05:56 PM EDT (US)     10 / 113  
I'll take care it, there will be a big news announcement about the tourney maps submitted and I'll mention the PBEM tourney starting... expect to see something before the weekend is over. I'll also create a sticky in the PBEM section... in my spare time tonight

I'm thinking of waiting until the end of next weekend to close the signups (sept 9th).

Zsaber has been added to the list, header updated
posted 08-31-07 06:50 PM EDT (US)     11 / 113  
I'd like to sign up for this too. I figure, I sign up to submit a map to the contest, might aswell get involved with the site. =)

Slow down and I sail on the river
Slow down and I walk to the hill
And there's no way out...
posted 08-31-07 09:05 PM EDT (US)     12 / 113  
I've been wanting to play a few games, so I wouldn't mind signing up.

Age of Wonders 1 Online Players Listing - Here
posted 09-03-07 07:34 PM EDT (US)     13 / 113  
Sign me up too. I do alright against the computer, so I think it's time I try against real people.
posted 09-05-07 08:00 AM EDT (US)     14 / 113  
can I have question (questions)?

1) turn time limit?

2) fast combat against AI?

1... I am generally playing slow because I want be 100% sure i havent forgot something

2... FC are mostly annoying because the AI always want to kill the highest lvl unit (and you cant the unit call back) and healing in the first turn is also annoying (when some units havent 1-2 HP the priests though that are healing them)
posted 09-05-07 06:15 PM EDT (US)     15 / 113  
Turn time limit - naturally we'll want to see fast play which imo is playing with 24 hrs of receiving the turn. If turns can be played within 3 days this is not unreasonable with real life. I think if it would take 3 to 7 days to play a turn then a short post in the absentee list will let others know. The key is to let people know how long it might take. Generally speaking the forum members here don't mind waiting if they know a turn is coming.

Combat with AI - you pick, use TC/FC to your advantage.

Codius makes 10... I wonder if we can get to 12??? I'm still working through all the MP maps (several I haven't even looked at yet). I should have an update soon about the maps for round 1.
posted 09-06-07 01:07 AM EDT (US)     16 / 113  

I'll email Eriksson and see if he wants to play. Does someone else want to email Naismith? I can't think of anyone else whom I would have expected to sign up.

Edit: Er, I mean, sign up, 4x + 2 people, where x is a nonnegative integer!

[This message has been edited by disenchanted (edited 09-06-2007 @ 01:10 AM).]

posted 09-07-07 11:02 AM EDT (US)     17 / 113  
Ok, I'm in.

Don't fear me to much though, I've noticed I'm more of a "build a happy little kingdom" player than a "count every hex and calculate every battle" player nowadays.

/Eriksson
Life is nothing but a game
poe@telia.com
posted 09-07-07 06:20 PM EDT (US)     18 / 113  
Most excellent, that makes 11. I'll keep things open through tomorrow (or so). I'm hoping to get to 12 (or 16 or ...) and I still need to go through a few more of the MP maps. Expect more info before the weekend is out and go ahead and try and recruit another player (or 4 or...).
posted 09-09-07 09:48 AM EDT (US)     19 / 113  
Tell me I didn't miss the deadline??
If not count me in!!
posted 09-09-07 10:16 AM EDT (US)     20 / 113  
Sorry, had family staying. But me please if still possible ... and I ditto Erikson's comments on his playing style

'Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened' Moving Pictures

[This message has been edited by GillB (edited 09-09-2007 @ 10:17 AM).]

posted 09-09-07 10:55 AM EDT (US)     21 / 113  
Sure slot me in to
posted 09-09-07 01:50 PM EDT (US)     22 / 113  
14 now!

Great news... I'll get to work on some creative brackets to make this work out....... but 16 would sure make it easier.

Header updated and yes there is time if more are interested.
posted 09-11-07 08:17 PM EDT (US)     23 / 113  
What a fun project this has been....

Okay... here is how the brackets are standing right now...

I'm hoping to give all players a chance to play with several new players, get to know some of the new maps and have some fun. I've been working hard to make it as even as I could and since we didn't have a really nice number (like 12 or 16) I was forced to do some really creative stuff with the brackets (imho )

Each player in the tourney will play 4 (yes, you heard me... 4) games. Each game will be a 4-player Free For All! We will also be using 4 (yes you heard me... 4) maps. There is one big bracket (yikes). Each player will get to play against 12 of the 13 other players (one unlucky person doesn't get to play against me.... wonder who it is?). Each player will get to play 3 of the 4 maps (one map will be played twice with a different starting position).

Scoring will be the standard FFA scoring point system. You get points for kills and surviving until the end. When it all shakes out we'll look and see where the standings are for all 4 games and then we'll figure out what round 2 (and possibly final round) will look like.

Soon.... (once I randomize the names and maps) I'll get an updated matrix posted in the main header to explain what all the games are. I'll then start setting up the games and get them out (this will take a day or two as there are a mere 14 games to figure out ).

Oh... the four maps that I think we'll use for round 1 will be (disclaimer: this is in no particular order nor does the use of these maps imply any score good/bad in the map making tourney as the judges are still actively scoring and I reserve the right to change my mind and pick another map... wheh)

Whispers in the Wind by Elquien
Shadowfall II by Dan Donnard
Days of the Charlatan - 4 good races (insane/regular?) by Artic Wolf
Shield Isle by Codius

Oh... I'm inclined to have the two mapmakers that are in this tourney NOT play the maps they created, although I may change my mind on that one too

Still up for debate.... at least one player has recommended that all these games be WL games.... no one else has really commented much so that makes me think majority rules here... 1 to 0.... unless there are more thoughts on that subject posted here (or you could debate it here)
posted 09-12-07 07:42 PM EDT (US)     24 / 113  
Anything sounds fine with me.

And so I don't lose any e-mail (as I don't check my profile e-mail regularly what with 1000 spam a week) could you have mine as Xiados@gmail.com instead of my profile one.

Age of Wonders 1 Online Players Listing - Here
posted 09-13-07 10:17 PM EDT (US)     25 / 113  
Okay... after consulting some I've changed my mind on a couple maps. We'll go a bit smaller and use Circle of Life and Wargod Tourney instead of Shadowfall and Shield Isle.

Also... real life will be busy the next couple days (going camping with the scouts). I'm a little behind schedule on things so be patient. New games expected to be out on Sunday.

Also, it appears that several of those that have signed up for this tourney have not registered for the wizard ladder. It is not a requirement to sign up. Since several have not then it would be difficult at this point to say all games will be ladder games. I'll gladly play all my games as ladder games if the others are registered (or go register) and agree to it.
posted 09-14-07 06:56 AM EDT (US)     26 / 113  
Ladder or not, either is fine with me.

/Eriksson
Life is nothing but a game
poe@telia.com
posted 09-14-07 09:28 PM EDT (US)     27 / 113  
I'd been assuming they'd be ladder games and feel strongly that they should be. (Mostly because my game time is so limited I won't be able to play any other games. Maybe one.)

This does raise some questions though.

1. how many are not registered?
2. is it already decided that registration is not required?
3. does anyone feel strongly about NOT registering?
4. could some games be ladder games but not others?

Edit: More to the point...the question for anyone who signed up for the tournament and is not yet registered for the ladder:

Are you planning to register? If not, why not?

(sorry for yelling, I had to get your attention)

[This message has been edited by disenchanted (edited 09-15-2007 @ 11:24 PM).]

posted 09-16-07 10:03 PM EDT (US)     28 / 113  
1 - less than half are not registered
2 - registration not required (but encouraged)
3 - ???
4 - yes (I will encourage my games to be ladder)

There has been little discussion about the ladder despite some requests. Those that are registered seem to not mind playing a ladder game. There is still time to get more registered on the ladder. WL sign up

Also - header updated with all the games, turn logs created, turns sent out soon, Take your time, don't rush it, we'll be playing these games for a couple months!

Also - I changed Circle of Life and fixed the teleportor underground that was sending you to the rocks. Wargod - AI is set to King. It was only 14 games so I'm sure I messed up at least one email address... if there are problems we'll work through them.

I appreciate all of your willingness to play and have fun. This has been a massive undertaking (making maps, judging maps, creating a tourney and now playing the games). It has also brought new life to this part of the Forums. You have all contributed. Thanks for your efforts....

Now... let the games begin!
posted 09-16-07 10:35 PM EDT (US)     29 / 113  
Oh... All games are leaders OFF (sorry I didn't put much detail in the thread turn logs but there were 14 of them ).

So far those for ladder games (I think I got everyone)

Enginerd - yes
Disenchanted - yes
Eriksson - yes
Xiados - yes

Others - no response
posted 09-16-07 11:18 PM EDT (US)     30 / 113  
I vote all the games to be ladder games too .
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder » September PBEM Tourney - Round 1 Started
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames