Please login or register

AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Summer 2008 Co-Op Challenge
posted 05-26-08 02:33 PM EDT (US)   
It’s what you’ve all been waiting for (or maybe not but it’s coming anyways)…. What is it… the first ever Co-Op Challenge… (at least the first I can remember ) Here are some of the finer points:

2 player teams, you get to pick your own partner. Save your game every 5 days in case I ask to go back to double check (it doesn't matter which player saves them). Send your last turn to me at mjschuck at fidnet dot com. The final battle must be winnable in FC. When sending your turn tell me how many turns, if you have the red/blue ring and how many teams points you get (that way I don't have to dig around for it).

Map – I have modified a map that will place 2 players (evil races) against 1 strong AI (good race). It is intended that the map can be completed in 20-40 turns (I’ve playtested it hotseat/solo once and finished it somewhere in that time). The map is now available --> Map Downloads Section

We will largely follow the single player Monthly Challenge format, points will be awarded in a similar fashion.

Fastest time to victory – 1 to 10 points 1st place 10 points, 2nd place 7 pts, 3rd place 5 points, 4th place 3 points, and 1 point for everyone else who participates.
Bonus item points – 0 to 4 points (2 points for red ring, 2 points for blue ring)
Multiple team bonus (playing on more than one team, yes it will be allowed) – 0 to 4 points. Total number of teams each player is playing minus 2. If each player is playing in one game then it is player A (1 game) + player B (1 game) – 2 = 0 points. If each player is in 3 games then player A (3 games) + player B (3 games) – 2 = 4 points.

Total team points for each team = time to victory points + items points + multiple team points.

Time frame – Game submissions must be turned in by Aug 15th midnight GMT. This gives you over 70 days at 1 turn per day you have plenty of time. (so try it more than once and play on more than one team)

FAQ

Can I play on more than one team – yes, you can play on up to 3 teams

Can my team submit more than one entry – yes, you can submit up to 3 entries per team but only the one with the highest score will be used in the final standings

Can I play a turn for my ally who is on vacation and can’t play – yes, you can play turns for your partner under the following conditions: Player must post in absentee logs that they will be absent, you can play 1 turn for every day that your ally is gone for a max of 5 turns for each absence. You can play no more than 10 turns total for your partner during the entire game (it can be in groups of 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 day spurts). Oh, make sure your parter is ok with you playing the turns while gone.

Why would I want to play on more than one team - well, maybe you want to play both sides of the map, maybe it helps encourage players to play more games and get more people involved, make friends, enjoy the community and share are your super secret strategies with everyone else , it is optional and your choice.

Can I restart my turn and try again to get the best advantage – no, you must play by the house rules as far as restarts go. Also, don’t abuse this to gain an advantage when covering for your ally on vacation.

Can I restart the game and start over – yes, you can start over from day 1 with your ally as many times as you like without penalty (other than it takes time)

Do I have to find the items – no, they are bonus points, you can choose to find them or not find them.

Can I play solo – you can playtest the map solo as many times as you want to work out your strategy however only team games can be submitted for a final score.

What if I can’t find a partner to team up with me – post in this Co-op Challenge thread and request a partner. I’m sure we can find one for you.

How do I sign up – If it helps folks keep track of their teams they can register on the Challenge thread stating the names of the team players. It is optional to do this, just get the final turn submitted before the deadline.

How can I find out how many points another team received - they'll have to tell you because I wasn't planning on it.

Does it matter which race I play and which one my partner plays – no, it’s up to you.

Do I have to have turn logs for my game – No, but you can post your turn logs, have fun with them, let others see your strategy (or your deception).

What if my partner leaves and stops playing and won't finish the map, can I get a permanent sub - yes, provided the sub is not on more than 3 teams (or you could just start over with the new player), oh, only one permanent sub allowed per game (remember, you can play for your partenr while on vacation)

The map is password protected, why – So no one modifies the map and submits an entry on that map (plus, I’m trying to hide things and I want you to work to find them )

This map is very similar to one in the downloads section, can I look at that map in the editor – Yes, although there are some changes so it’s not exactly the same.

Is there going to be a round 2 or is this it – depends on how many teams play this time around. If there is great excitement then there will be more Co-op Challenges.

[This message has been edited by Enginerd (edited 05-26-2008 @ 07:56 PM).]

Replies:
posted 05-26-08 04:47 PM EDT (US)     1 / 7  
Brilliant!

Now, who to buddy up with...

Token Irish Gamer!
posted 05-26-08 07:54 PM EDT (US)     2 / 7  
The map is now available, link is here (and I'll put in the main header). Have fun (I did while playtesting )

map downloads section
posted 05-26-08 09:35 PM EDT (US)     3 / 7  
Thank you Enginerd for doing this! You put a lot of work in.
posted 05-27-08 01:32 PM EDT (US)     4 / 7  
Sounds great! Now I just need a partner... any takers?

If you've come for a visit, you'd be welcome with fewer, if you've come to take me away, you'll need a lot more.
posted 05-27-08 08:29 PM EDT (US)     5 / 7  
If you likey the Orcs, I likey the Gobbos. Know what I'm sayin'?

Token Irish Gamer!
posted 05-29-08 02:23 PM EDT (US)     6 / 7  
Orcs is cool...

If you've come for a visit, you'd be welcome with fewer, if you've come to take me away, you'll need a lot more.
posted 05-30-08 12:15 PM EDT (US)     7 / 7  
Unfortunately I doubt that I have not enough time for this.
Such a shame..

-/X\(++)/X\-L.E.D. Frozen Warrior-/X\(++)/X\-
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder » Summer 2008 Co-Op Challenge
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames