Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Summer 2008 Mapmaking Competition
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 07-04-08 03:32 PM EDT (US)   
Mapmaking Competition

It’s here.. it’s time… for the Summer 2008 AOW1 Mapmaking Competition!!!!!

We've still got some life in us.... let's make some more maps so we can have some fun!!! Also.... we want to have a 1v1 tourney and we will use the winning map for the tourney

Map Categories

1. AoW1 Multi-Player Maps 1v1

2. AoW1 Anything goes category (for those of you that don't want to make a 1v1 map)

The Rules
All maps must be NEW maps so if it's currently available in the downloads section it is not eligible for this competition. Submit maps to the downloads section in the normal way then put a post in this thread to let us know the name of the map submitted, and which category (or categories) you want it entered into.

Category 1 for 1v1 maps - All maps must be playable under standard Triumph Studios TS136 ruleset. Any size, any races, etc just keep in mind that putting 12 races and 3 levels on a huge map for a 1v1 game may not be the best course of action (just a tip from one of the judges )

Category 2 for anything goes maps - Any ruleset can be used for the second category, any size, any number of players... it's anything goes!

You can enter as many maps as you want, and you can enter them in either category 1 or 2 (but not both). Tip.... if you don't want your map to be used in the tourney then just submit it to the anything goes category.

The closing date for submissions is Sept 15, 2008 (23:59 US Eastern time).

Any forum member can submit a map, but it must be a map they have created themselves, although other people can be involved (help playtest, translate, write story, etc).

The Judges and Scoring

Maps will be scored by a panel of judges (yet to be determined but I'll be one of them). These judges will score the map based on several criteria

Category 1 (1v1 maps) - Balance, playability, and is it worthy of being the map for the tourney.

Category 2 (antyhing goes maps) - Fun, Originality, Creativity, playability

Prizes

Eternal Fame and Glory will be given to the winners. In addition.... the winner of the 1v1 map will have the honor of having that map used in our Fall 2008 1v1 single elimination tournament (details to come in a month or so).

Resources

If you need some cool tips for creating good AoW1 maps, you can go to our Custom Map Makers Resource, created by the highly talented Blue Collar Heaven. AOW Custom Map Makers' Resource

Once maps are registered in this thread I'll create a list of all the maps.

Feel free to comment or ask any questions about the competition in this thread.

Registered Maps

Category 1 - 1v1 head to head maps

Mirages - by Skout
Lineage - by Skout
Snowscapes and Mirages - by Arctic Wolf is the Winning Map
An Ode to A.E Van Vogt - Arctic Wolf late
The Seventh Closure - Crazyslyhawk
Roots of chaos - Crazyslyhawk

Category 2 - Anything Goes Maps

Shadows of the past II - Skout
The Warren - by Iguanaonastick is the Winning Map
War of the ways of living - by Eriksson
From North - by Raupe

(edit - corrected the date, updated registered maps list,added winners)

[This message has been edited by Enginerd (edited 11-01-2008 @ 07:19 PM).]

Replies:
posted 07-05-08 03:16 AM EDT (US)     1 / 90  
Good to hear this, I wondered whether there will be a mapmaking contetst this summer, now seems I'll have to get down to editor and make some maps (Even though I'm rather aiming at the second cathegory). Anyway, let's the contest start!

PS: I find it odd that there's no news item about this on the main site. Could something be done with this Engineerd?

Proud author of Finbar's Quest, the winning SP scenario of AoW1 Summer 2007 Mapmaking Competition.
Btw, you guys should really listen to Gandalf, he is very wise
- Josh AoW, Triumph Studios game developer
But does he talk to himself because he's the oldest man around, or does he just talk to himself because... ya'know... ?
- Chow Guy, AoW Heaven Cherub
posted 07-05-08 06:16 AM EDT (US)     2 / 90  
The closing date for submissions is Sept 15, 2007 (23:59 US Eastern time).
Seems it's only for those that can travel back in time

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
posted 07-05-08 07:57 AM EDT (US)     3 / 90  
Thanks for this, Engine and crew!

I, too, am aiming for the second category.

However, I have always wanted to make a winning 1 vs. 1 map! Better break out the editor

PawelS, you cheeky monkey

Token Irish Gamer!
posted 07-05-08 11:02 AM EDT (US)     4 / 90  
2007??? Fixed it

A news post is in the works, busy week vacationing with family, hope to have the newspost out by tomorrow.
posted 07-08-08 06:35 AM EDT (US)     5 / 90  
Have seen the news yesterday, and it's interesting - and very good - idea to post it on the AoWII Heaven too. I hope it will help to lure some of the sequle players to participate
posted 07-09-08 09:24 AM EDT (US)     6 / 90  
Glad to see there's people like you guys that still care for this great game. Might submit a map or two myself.
posted 07-11-08 02:05 AM EDT (US)     7 / 90  
I will definately try to build a map or two. Good initiative Enginerd!

Itīs nice to be important, but itīs more important to be nice.
posted 07-11-08 03:20 AM EDT (US)     8 / 90  
Seeking to achieve three victories in a row, aren't you, Dan? Anyway, I'll look forward too getting my hands on some new maps of yours !
posted 07-14-08 03:34 AM EDT (US)     9 / 90  
Ok, just finished editing a small 1v1 map called "Mirages" that I'd like to register to the 1v1 category. Have fun with it

[This message has been edited by sKout77 (edited 07-14-2008 @ 03:35 AM).]

posted 07-14-08 06:30 PM EDT (US)     10 / 90  
Yipee

First map registered!
posted 07-15-08 09:14 AM EDT (US)     11 / 90  
umm are the maps submited for the contest going to be added in the downloads section? I really need some new maps to play

[This message has been edited by sKout77 (edited 07-15-2008 @ 09:14 AM).]

posted 07-15-08 11:54 AM EDT (US)     12 / 90  
Yes, go ahead and upload them to the downloads section as you normally do for maps. All maps will be made available once they are submitted.

If you upload your map and want to "tweak" it a bit we won't judge the map until the close of the tourney so you can fine tune things if you like.
posted 07-15-08 02:05 PM EDT (US)     13 / 90  
sweet
posted 07-18-08 03:49 AM EDT (US)     14 / 90  
Hi, i'm new to the website/forum, but have been playing AOW for about 7 years. It's good to see other out there that are still enjoying this great game after all these years. I've got a great map in store for this website, but had a few questions first.

For this map to qualify, what patches/mods do i need to have downloaded?(i haven't downloaded any yet, and would prefer to keep the game the way i've been playing it)

Also wondered how the hell do i find someone to play online?
posted 07-18-08 07:24 AM EDT (US)     15 / 90  
Hey, Prince of Azria! Great to hear you found your way here

You need the 1.36 patch, which can be found here

If you're looking for someone to play online, make a post in general discussions.

Token Irish Gamer!

[This message has been edited by CrazySlyHawk (edited 07-18-2008 @ 07:26 AM).]

posted 07-19-08 02:48 AM EDT (US)     16 / 90  
well crazy hawk...... i installed the 1.36 patch. but now i have a problem, when i try to run the game, i'm getting a message that there is no disc in the drive.(and there is) although the map editor is working, and a noticed a couple minor changes, like the way the tabs are arranged(grass, steppe, desert, etc..) AM I MISSING SOMETHING?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

^UPDATE^ so i reinstalled the game, and everything went back to its normal, original state. i reinstalled the 1.36 patch once again, and the same problem came back!(no disc in drive)
AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

by the way, it's King of Azria....i can throw down with some azracs. prince of azria is my son.

[This message has been edited by King_of_Azria (edited 07-19-2008 @ 09:02 PM).]

posted 07-20-08 12:41 PM EDT (US)     17 / 90  
I'm making this map, Haldnir Islands, for the second category. I'm using five different races. Highmen, Dwarves, Orcs, Humans and Azracs. So far the story is that the Dwarves want to get to Haldnir and this guy attempts to take them there, however, the Humans have inhabited the area after having settlements burned down by Orcs, who continue to pursue them. The Highmen approach hoping to enter into diplomatic negotiations with the Dwarves and the Keepers. As Haldnir seems to be becoming more and more of a myth the Dwarves hear that the Governor of Haldnir has been captured by Pirates (azracs), this gives Dwarves hope.

Is it that good a storyline?

And also how do you make a campaign on Editor?

This is a dignified place for dignified people, young man. Top hats and monocles are not only recommended, they're required.

Black Hound
posted 07-20-08 01:19 PM EDT (US)     18 / 90  
It seems like a solid story-plot that can provide a lot of ideas and creativity for the map. My only question is how does the capturing of the Haldnir Governor give the Dwarves more hope to reach their? Is he a tyrant or bad ruler?
posted 07-20-08 02:50 PM EDT (US)     19 / 90  
i meant it increases their belief in Haldnir. The fact that Dwarven scouts have actually seen the azracs tie her up in a treasure trove really strengthens belief.

And could anybody tell me how to make campaigns? I've had AoW for ages but I've never actually used the editor that much, I'm basically a rookie.

This is a dignified place for dignified people, young man. Top hats and monocles are not only recommended, they're required.

Black Hound
posted 07-20-08 03:31 PM EDT (US)     20 / 90  
...i installed the 1.36 patch. but now i have a problem, when i try to run the game, i'm getting a message that there is no disc in the drive.(and there is)...
Try this...reinstall the game and then run it without any patch and look in the lower right corner of the main menu page to check which version you have.

I have an idea that maybe your game was already patched to 1.36...and when you try to install the patch for a second time it messes things up.

I hope that my suggestion helps, good luck!
posted 07-20-08 05:23 PM EDT (US)     21 / 90  
sweet, thanks.... it says "version 1.36.0054". i bought this particular AOW disc a couple years ago, because my original was lost. maybe since it's a newer disc, it has already been patched. i'm going to cross reference the changes to double check(ex: character stats).

although, when i installed the patch, the editor worked fine, and the layout of the buttons were slightly different. i'll have to double check that as well.

^UPDATE^some changes listed in the 1.36 patch "readme" file seem to check out. thanks for the help flyguy! now i can continue on with my map, without worrying.

[This message has been edited by King_of_Azria (edited 07-20-2008 @ 06:05 PM).]

posted 07-20-08 09:01 PM EDT (US)     22 / 90  
I'm glad to hear that you got it running, King_of_Azria.

I had a hunch about your disk being already patched because I went through the same thing before and I have also run across a couple of other people with the same problem.

Happy gaming!
posted 07-21-08 00:09 AM EDT (US)     23 / 90  
Ah, I see Dazzle. I think the story sounds very good.

I don't have background in Campaign-Making in AoW, I think Beren V, Artic Wolf, and Gandalf might have some knowledge in those areas. Perhaps they can help if you give them a call.

Good luck!

Lord Naismith
posted 07-21-08 05:21 AM EDT (US)     24 / 90  
And could anybody tell me how to make campaigns? I've had AoW for ages but I've never actually used the editor that much, I'm basically a rookie.
Actually, the editor itself isn't enough here. As you might know, the campaign technically consist of two types of files - campaign scenarios (.csm files), and .CAM files that include story and order of missions. To create thses, you will need:
1) Developer's Editor (more commonly known as DevEd). It's a add-on to map editor, which allows you to save your maps as campign scenarios (.csm files) and edit their settings like max hero level on specified mission.It's avaible here at AoW Heaven downloads section.
2)AoW Campaign and Graphics Editor - a handy tool created by SmurfHero, which allows to create new campaign files, i.e. setting order in which missions are played, their location on continent map, adding story etc. You can get it here at AoW Heaven downloads section.
Both files are provided with a helpful readme (that's escpecially true about AOwCGE), so one can quickly learn how to yo use them, and the Campaign and Scenario forum section contains a lot of valuable info on the campaign design. Finally, if you happen to have difficulty with something, don't hesistate to ask at forums!

Proud author of Finbar's Quest, the winning SP scenario of AoW1 Summer 2007 Mapmaking Competition.
Btw, you guys should really listen to Gandalf, he is very wise
- Josh AoW, Triumph Studios game developer
But does he talk to himself because he's the oldest man around, or does he just talk to himself because... ya'know... ?
- Chow Guy, AoW Heaven Cherub

[This message has been edited by Gandalf theWhite (edited 07-21-2008 @ 05:23 AM).]

posted 07-21-08 06:07 AM EDT (US)     25 / 90  
thank you gandalf! greatly appreciated. the problem is i have AoW on my other computer, which is Windows 95, the old games are the best games thats what i say. Would the files be transferrable through USB drive?

and lord naismith. are you making a map?

Black Hound
posted 07-21-08 08:24 AM EDT (US)     26 / 90  
Well, I can't aspire to title of ,,computer wizard", but I don't see any reason why they wouldn't... these aren't big files, if you're asking about this. I think you shouldn't have any problem with downloading them somewhere and there transferring to your AoW PC via USB.
posted 07-21-08 09:52 AM EDT (US)     27 / 90  
i thought so.

Black Hound
posted 07-22-08 03:24 PM EDT (US)     28 / 90  
No, I'm not making a map, I just enjoy helping where I can.

^_^
posted 07-23-08 09:23 AM EDT (US)     29 / 90  
personally, i doubt my map will be good enough. but i at least thought i'd give it a shot.

Black Hound
posted 07-24-08 11:22 AM EDT (US)     30 / 90  
I have not played for ages, but I have two old maps of mine that with a little rework may be suitable for this competition. What's the deadline for entries?
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder » Summer 2008 Mapmaking Competition
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames