AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Fall 2008 1v1 Tourney
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 10-06-08 10:19 AM EDT (US)   
That’s right… you guessed it… time for the 1v1 tourney. Here’s what it is all about…

Description
This will be a 1v1 single elimination tournament. Seeding of players will be randomized and we’ll have as many rounds as necessary to find a winner. In the most likely event that the number of players does not make a full bracket (something other than 2, 4, 8, 16, etc) then there will be some wildcard games to get us to a full bracket. I haven’t worked out the details of that piece but everyone who wants to join the tourney will be allowed entry even if it makes the brackets really ugly.There will be a max of 16 players in this tourney. I will give a seeding preference (to avoid the wildcard entries) if you sign up early. The sooner you sign up the better position you are in to not have to play that wildcard round.

Rules – We’ll be playing standard house rules and games will be treated as if they were Wizard Ladder games.

Map – Snowscapes and Mirages by Arctic Wolf - the link to the downloads section is here

Speed of play – We want players to be reliable and fast. It is understood that real life happens and sometimes you cannot play for a period of time. If you cannot get your turn played within 3 days then you must post in the absentee logs otherwise you risk forfeiting the game. There will be no subs.

Signup CLOSEDpost in this thread that you want to join the tourney. Post your email address that you want used for the tourney (ex: I want to join the tourney, mjschuck at fidnet dot com). Signup is open… it will be closed two weeks after the map making tourney results are finalized (estimating Oct 25) on Oct 25 at Noon ET or sooner if we get 16 players signed up. .... still don't have the map so we'll give it a little more time. 16 players max and maybe until the 26th???, sign up fast two slots remaining!!!

Winner – In addition to eternal fame and glory, this may be used as the opportunity to revamp the wizard ladder standings/brackets, etc and the winner will crowned the WL Champ

List of those who have joined (and order they signed up)

1... Crazyslyhawk - emacfallon at hotmail dot com Lost in Qtr Finals
2... Froster - branneji at yahoo dot ca lost in round 1
3... Dazzle94 - darryl dot peers at dsl dot pipex dot com dropped out of round 1
4... Mad87ger - mad87ger at yahoo dot de lost in round 1
5... Dan Petersson - dan-petersson at bredband dot net lost in round 1
6... Zsaber - zhengzjm at hotmail dot com
7... Blixten - johandavidsson91 at msn dot com dropped out of round 1
8... Gandalf the White - gandalf_the_mapmaker at yahoo dot co dot uk lost in round 1
9... Eriksson - poe at telia dot com
10.. Thorongil - Th0r0ngil at hotmail dot com
11.. Ecthelion_21 - ecthelion21 at gmail dot com Lost in Round 1
12.. Draco - francermak at juno dot com
13.. Disenchanted -
14.. Dafyth - Dwcarless at yahoo dot com Lost in Qtr Finals
15.. Enginerd - mjschuck at fidnet dot com
16.. Slipkyes - Slipkyesbass at gmail dot com Lost in round 1

Tourney Brackets:

Game 1 Crazyslyhawk vs Slipkyes CSH wins as Frostlings
Game 2 Gandalf vs Eriksson Eriksson wins as Azracs
Game 3 Mad87ger vs Disenchanted Disenchanted wins as Azracs
Game 4 DanPetersson vs Draco Draco wins as Azracs
Game 5 Froster vs Enginerd Enginerd wins as Azracs
Game 6 Blixten vs Thorongil Thorongil wins by default
Game 7 Dazzle vs Dafyth Dafyth wins by default
Game 8 Zsaber vs Ecthelion Zsaber wins as Frostlings

Qtr Game 1 Winner Game 1 Crazyslyhawk vs Winner Game 2 Eriksson Eriksson wins as Frostlings
Qtr Game 2 Winner Game 3 Disenchanted vs Winner Game 4 Draco
Qtr Game 3 Winner Game 7 Dafyth vs Winner Game 6 Thorongil Thorongil wins as Frostlings
Qtr Game 4 Winner Game 5 Enginerd vs Winner Game 8 Zsaber

Semi Game 1 Winner Qtr 1 Erkisson vs Winner Qtr 2
Semi Game 2 Winner Qtr 3 Thorongil vs Winner Qtr 4

Finals Winner Semi 1 vs Winner Semi 2

Race Selection in games

Round 1 games – since the seeding was based on when you signed up (I was going to randomize it and then this just sort of worked out) the higher seeded person is listed first and will play first which is the Frostlings and the second player listed will play Azracs.

Quarter Final Games - Where possible, both players will play a different race from the Round 1 games. Where this is not possible the player that signed up earlier will be given the race preference.

Semi Final Games – If a player has played the same race twice then that player will play the other race. If both players have played the same race twice, or if both players have already played both races then the player that signed up earlier will be given the race preference.

Finals - The player that signed up earlier will be given the race preference. Exception: if one of the players has played the same race in the three earlier rounds then he will get to play the other race.

Turn Logs – Please keep them up to date and post in them even if it is only with a “turn sent” comment. Have fun with your turn logs as other players may wish to read them.

Tourney Discussion thread A new thread will be opened to discuss the tourney games.(Never got around to this so just use this thread) Speculation and voting on who you think will win, which matches are the ones to watch, who is the favorite, what are the strategies you wish to use, etc. It will be an open forum to discuss things about the tourney while this thread will remain open to document progress with the tourney, results, etc

Results – post your results in this thread. Example – “Forster beat Enginerd in Game 5” (yes Forster… you will be the lucky one to play me it looks like )

(edit - added ending date of signups and max# players, added tourney brackets. Updated games finished 11/25, updated games finished 12/13, updated games finished 12/29, updated games finished 2/28)

[This message has been edited by Enginerd (edited 02-28-2009 @ 02:31 PM).]

Replies:
posted 10-06-08 01:26 PM EDT (US)     1 / 109  
Throw me in for it

Pardon my manners: emacfallon@hotmail.com

Token Irish Gamer!

[This message has been edited by CrazySlyHawk (edited 10-07-2008 @ 01:35 PM).]

posted 10-06-08 08:35 PM EDT (US)     2 / 109  
I'll join the tourney.

branneji@yahoo.ca

Jim Brannen
Email: branneji@yahoo.ca
Timezone: -5 GMT (New York Time)

[This message has been edited by Froster (edited 10-07-2008 @ 03:16 PM).]

posted 10-07-08 11:03 AM EDT (US)     3 / 109  
I can't submit a map for the 1v1 tournament but I'll certainly try my hand at beating the pahooty out of somebody else in a scenario type battle. My email is darryl.peers@dsl.pipex.com. I got in here as quickly as I could as I didn't want to be seeded low, I don't want a tough player in the first round!

This is a dignified place for dignified people, young man. Top hats and monocles are not only recommended, they're required.

Black Hound
posted 10-08-08 04:28 PM EDT (US)     4 / 109  
3 players added to sign up list
posted 10-09-08 08:35 AM EDT (US)     5 / 109  
hi, i want to join the tournament. my e-mail: mad87ger@yahoo.de
posted 10-09-08 11:34 AM EDT (US)     6 / 109  
Players are coming in quickly for the tourney. Any really good players signed up yet?

This is a dignified place for dignified people, young man. Top hats and monocles are not only recommended, they're required.

Black Hound

[This message has been edited by dazzle94 (edited 10-09-2008 @ 11:34 AM).]

posted 10-09-08 04:19 PM EDT (US)     7 / 109  
Well, since I missed the chance with the mapmaking competition I would love to give the 1vs1 tournament a try instead! Sign me up please!

dan-petersson (at) bredband (dot) net

It´s nice to be important, but it´s more important to be nice.

[This message has been edited by Dan Petersson (edited 10-09-2008 @ 04:19 PM).]

posted 10-09-08 04:47 PM EDT (US)     8 / 109  
Cheers dazzle

Hey Dan, sorry to hear you didn't make it but happy to hear you're all on board for what should prove a great tourney!

Token Irish Gamer!
posted 10-09-08 09:33 PM EDT (US)     9 / 109  
Two more players added.... wonder how long it will take to get over 8 players.

@Dazzle - Seeing as how I don't know three of the five signed up it's hard to say how good the competition is, but the 5th player to sign up is no slouch.... in fact former WL champ is one of his many titles
Hey Dan, sorry to hear you didn't make it but happy to hear you're all on board for what should prove a great tourney!
Be glad... this way Dan got to help judge the maps... and he helped picked a really good one for this tourney (still waiting for the the official tally though )
posted 10-09-08 11:14 PM EDT (US)     10 / 109  
I'd liked to join too . Not too many people sign up yet, wonder how many we're going to have?
posted 10-10-08 08:15 AM EDT (US)     11 / 109  
I'm sure we'll have LOTS

three or four days into this, we haven't even announced the map and we already have 6 players signed up. A few more announcements here and there to spark some interest, a few well placed emails here and there.... yeah there will be more
posted 10-10-08 12:40 PM EDT (US)     12 / 109  
I will join

johandavidsson91@msn.com
posted 10-10-08 01:13 PM EDT (US)     13 / 109  
I reckon it will be a busy tournament, I'm just glad I signed up early.

Black Hound
posted 10-10-08 05:52 PM EDT (US)     14 / 109  
Whoops, hadn't read who the panel was this year. More eager than ever to play a tourney with good maps

Token Irish Gamer!
posted 10-13-08 07:00 AM EDT (US)     15 / 109  
Sign me up too please. My address: gandalf_the_mapmaker at yahoo dot co dot uk
posted 10-13-08 11:36 AM EDT (US)     16 / 109  
1 vs 1 sounds good.
Seems hard to get games with more players moving smoothly these days.
So I'm in!

/Eriksson
Life is nothing but a game
poe@telia.com
posted 10-13-08 12:46 PM EDT (US)     17 / 109  
The competition looks good so far, is there anybody who is renowned for being good at these things who's signed up yet, besides CSH?!

Black Hound
posted 10-13-08 01:43 PM EDT (US)     18 / 109  
Legions. Dan, Eriksson, Gandie... I always enjoy playing against Zsaber too. Don't snub Enginerd either - he was the Champ!

Mind, there are plenty of new faces that'll undoubtedly show their talents. Last year was a good year for new people to show their worth, this year in Singles promises the same.

Token Irish Gamer!

[This message has been edited by CrazySlyHawk (edited 10-13-2008 @ 01:45 PM).]

posted 10-13-08 09:57 PM EDT (US)     19 / 109  
Yes, Yes... many accomplished players in this list. Very exciting.

2 of the 3 judges have completed judging the maps and I should have the final results soon so I can announce the map we'll be playing. I'm sure hoping we can get a few more players... maybe even make it to 16!!!
posted 10-14-08 03:08 AM EDT (US)     20 / 109  
Umm, Crazy, but when did I became renowned for playing by e - mail? I would rather say it's more the opposite I only started playing PBEM games a year ago, and I think I didn't get really deep into it yet...
posted 10-14-08 10:20 AM EDT (US)     21 / 109  
Me me me! :-P th0r0ngil at hotmail dot com.

If you've come for a visit, you'd be welcome with fewer, if you've come to take me away, you'll need a lot more.
posted 10-14-08 12:24 PM EDT (US)     22 / 109  
Enginerd brushes aside our topic of conversation to hop about at the fact that we might have enough to have a round before the quarter finals!!! Well I never! I take it Gandalf, affectionately named 'Gandie', is modest because I have a feeling that he is really good at PBEM, just a feeling but I'm sure I'm right, whether Gandalf's aware of it or not.

Black Hound
posted 10-14-08 01:23 PM EDT (US)     23 / 109  
if anybody need to warm up, like me XD, send me an mail.
posted 10-14-08 04:39 PM EDT (US)     24 / 109  
Well if you want me to participate in the conversation

I have played against several other players signed up thus far and have been handed terrible defeats. I'll just caution you about a few players.... like Eriksson and DanP, don't forget about Zsaber or Thorongil either. Those 4 are veterans and been around a long time and seen many games. I know Gandalf more for his most excellent maps than his ability to play.... however.... when mapmakers make good maps they normally have a knack for playing well. Lots of newer players that I've not had the privelege of playing.... there could be some sleepers in there. All very exciting.

I'd really like to think we could get to 16 but we'll see. I think we'll give it another week before I close things out and start the maps. There are a couple active players I know of that could sign up so we'll wait and see...
posted 10-14-08 05:00 PM EDT (US)     25 / 109  
I don't like playing 1vs1 games that much, but if there are 15 players, I think I will sign up

When there is an FFA or team tourney starting, I'm definitely in.

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
posted 10-16-08 05:29 AM EDT (US)     26 / 109  
I don't have much experience with aow1, but sign me up please.
ecthelion21@gmail.com

[This message has been edited by Ecthelion_21 (edited 10-18-2008 @ 10:45 AM).]

posted 10-16-08 04:30 PM EDT (US)     27 / 109  
Email in my signature.

/Eriksson
Life is nothing but a game
poe@telia.com
posted 10-20-08 01:57 PM EDT (US)     28 / 109  
We've got 10 players, I've heard from one other who is soon to register making 11, if we find 4 more after then we can strong arm Pawel to be the 16th player. Sign up will be open for the rest of this week.

Map to be announced soon (tonight or tomorrow) along with a newspost and one final push to get players to sign up.
posted 10-21-08 05:05 PM EDT (US)     29 / 109  
I'm in! Use the email "francermak at juno dot com"
posted 10-22-08 09:14 PM EDT (US)     30 / 109  
Sign me up

That's 13 not counting PawelS (I think)
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder » Fall 2008 1v1 Tourney
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames