AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Winter Holidays 2008 Themed Mapmaking Competition
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 10-28-08 04:35 PM EDT (US)   
With such great interest in having another mapmaking tournament we won’t waste any time in getting the next one started. This one will be a bit different in that it will be a “themed” event. What does that mean??? Well, basically, I will pick a theme (but I’ll need help on ideas), maps will be made based on that theme. There will be a time limit for the maps to submitted and there will be judging. So…. Here’s the starting framework

Themes, two categories.
1 - Festive Winter Holiday theme For this theme your map must have something to do with the Winter Holidays like Christmas, New Years, etc. Be creative and have fun, it will be intersting to see if we get a SP Santa story delivering preasants all over the world of if we get a frosty the snowman or something else.... I'm sure you guys can come up with something
2 - Historical theme Your map must be related to something historical. The recent map by AW called an Ode to Van Vogt is particularly inspring in this regard and makes a great benchmark. Feel free to do anything historical that peaks your interest. Again, be creative and original and have fun.

Maps will be judged based on some simple criteria (standard stuff mostly) but creativity with the theme will be an important factor.

Maps can be of any mod, any size, any type.

Timing – All maps must be turned in by midnight on Dec 31st ET
If timing gets rough for folks I can be persuaded to extend it a little bit into January. We've got about 6 weeks left and many have already started. For now we'll stick with the Dec 31st.

Judging – Something new....
I want to try something new this time other than our 3 person panel of judges. (One of the reasons is I am actually starting to work on my very first original map). I want to include you in the judging process so I'm going to try and work out a way to do a poll or a combined judge piece and public piece (like all those dance and singing competition shows out there). Anyways, I'll ask for more feedback on that but for now I just want to try something a little different.
New Comments on Judging:We will have two types of judging take place this time. We have a couple celebrity judges (thank you Pawel and Zsaber) who will judge each map and give it a score (1-10), their combined score will make up 50% of the total. I'm working out the details right now but we hope to include the comments from the judges in a thread (possibly a small chat session that gets recorded), once the judges are finished judging (it will take a couple weeks) I will open the threads for comments and all of you... the forum members will cast your votes (scores of 1-10) for each map. The combined average of the member's score will make up the other 50%. I'll then summarize the scores and announce a winner. Stay Tuned for more details on the judging and right now have fun checking out the new maps and get ready to make your scores available, in the mean time feel free to leave comments on the maps in the downloads section.

Register your map
Just enter the name of the map and what theme, upload it to the website and that will take care of it.

Festive Winter Holiday Maps
1... Toy Wars by Skout77 - (uploaded)
2... Snowflake by ThePreachr - (uploaded)

Historical Maps
1... Andelin's Quest by Enginerd (uploaded)
2... War of 1812 by Froster (uploaded)
3... Mene in Venezuela by Slipkyes (uploaded)
4... Capture the Flag by Arctic Wolf (update pending upload)
5... World of Paradise by Skout77 (uploaded)

Please post your comments below and as decisions are made the main topics above will be updated.

Let the fun begin!

[This message has been edited by Enginerd (edited 01-04-2009 @ 03:51 PM).]

Replies:
posted 10-28-08 05:06 PM EDT (US)     1 / 88  
I think a single player or historical theme would be good, handed in around Christmas.
As for judging, I wouldn't mind a vote for all the people who have played all the maps.

Jim Brannen
Email: branneji@yahoo.ca
Timezone: -5 GMT (New York Time)
posted 10-28-08 05:13 PM EDT (US)     2 / 88  
Good stuff, Enginerd. I would like to see a new system of judging - just for this one! It'd be nice to have userr actively reviewing maps, yet this may be open to fault. Nonetheless, I expect I'll be helping out as much as possible.

Suggested theme; local history! Take an event from your local area/region and have the whole community enjoy it as a map.

Token Irish Gamer!
posted 10-28-08 05:20 PM EDT (US)     3 / 88  
Ah, here it goes I have few ideas about theme so far, but they need to crystallise better in mind yet, so I'll have my say now about the rest:

Timing
I think I would support Christmas, too. It's almost 2 moths from now - certainly enough time for making a map of even few of them), but it will not keep people waiting too long for competition finish.

Judging
I see the point in increasing number of people taking part in deciding on scoring, however, this option has a strong drawback: Few, if any, people will play all of the competition maps, while much more will wish to take part in choosing the winner. It would probably lead to situation when many players will just vote for the first map that caught their attention, without checking other scenarios entered for tourney. Therefore I would support the three person panel system, since it seems to give all mapmakers equal chances.
posted 10-28-08 05:24 PM EDT (US)     4 / 88  
Suggested theme; local history! Take an event from your local area/region and have the whole community enjoy it as a map.
Hey, CSH, that's great idea! I haven't noticed your post at first since I was posting almost at the same time with you, but I fully support this. Should a great opportunity to make an interesting map(s), and learn something interesting from history
posted 10-28-08 09:19 PM EDT (US)     5 / 88  
Here is my idea for theme.

Everyone to submit a single player map to be used in the starting mapset for a new campaign.

I'll explain.

First assume the starting mapset will have three maps. The maps should progress your main leader and any heroes to about level 8 by the end of the third map.

Map 1 would be a simple introductory map introducing the main character and the purpose of the campaign. Hero levels should be capped at 2 or 3. The map should be small with a max to four races involved and take up no more than two surface levels. (I.E. surface and caverns or with a little creativity caverns and depths)

Map two would bring the story into motion with the leader traveling to a new location. The starting leader should have a beginning level of 2 or three and levels should be capped at 4, 5 or 6.

Map three should add some kind of twist or or resolution. Leaders should start at level 4, 5 or 6 and hero levels should be capped at 8.

Within these confines the mapmaker is free to make any kind of map he or she wishes.

As a bonus after the judging the maps could be rearranged into a mini campaign. If there are enough entrants, both a keeper and a cult mini campaign might be constructed.

I would have a huge advantage in such a competition having many such maps in various stages of construction so rather than compete; I would rather judge, and then attempt the construction of the mini campaign from the best entrants.

I realize this is a rather ambitious competition but it might be rather fun to see what the community creates.

I should add that you need only submit one map. Hopefully between all entrants there would be a variety of all three map types.

[This message has been edited by Arctic Wolf (edited 10-28-2008 @ 09:21 PM).]

posted 10-29-08 04:13 PM EDT (US)     6 / 88  
Hey, I see some great ideas coming in. CSH's is a stroke of genius, and that seems a rarity from him. I would like to add a possible Christmas theme, with it being that time of year and all. I know what you're thinking, "What the heck?! How can you make a map Christmasy!!!" But I have found a solution. The map itself doesn't have to have different mountain ranges shaped like Christmas trees, far from it. In fact, I was thinking more along the lines of the story surrounding the map. Perhaps it is the time of the year that the Blessed Continent celebrates some sort of similar festival, not Christmas because I doubt they celebrate the birth of one that may not have existed in their world. One obvious requirement is that the terrain would be mostly snowy, with the Frostlings not necessarily having to be involved. Maybe the ways I've come up with to link it to Christmas can be bettered but if you can improve this theme then post your views. After all, it's just one of my ideas.

This is a dignified place for dignified people, young man. Top hats and monocles are not only recommended, they're required.

Black Hound
posted 10-29-08 06:10 PM EDT (US)     7 / 88  
Why.

Sounds good anyways, I never went up north with the Dwarves in the campaign. Best I give it a lash!

There have been some great new releases; I haven't looked at the new AW scenario but I'm sure its inspired
Perhaps I too should whip something up before the new mapmaking comp.... as a taster!

Token Irish Gamer!

[This message has been edited by CrazySlyHawk (edited 10-30-2008 @ 05:33 AM).]

posted 11-01-08 07:51 PM EDT (US)     8 / 88  
I am intrigued at the idea of having the map be related to some historical event/place. I'm thinking how could I make a map (yes, my first one) of my hometown or my adventures as a kid growing up...

Christmas in the theme could work out. There's a great SM map out by the Groll called David's Winter Wonderland, he did a great job with the Christmas theme (and it's a good mp map too)

AW massive campaign approach is interesting but may be too aggressive for a competition. I like the idea though, maybe pull it out and have a group work on it. The last great campaign attempt fizzled out.

What else do you guys think. Any other ideas out there...
posted 11-02-08 04:54 AM EDT (US)     9 / 88  
Well, why not do two of the things mentioned? In my opinion, the success of the mapmaking tournaments is partially due to the fact that you allowed mapmakers to submit (mostly) whatever they wanted. (the 'anything goes' section in the last tournament for example).

Having both a Christmas-themed and a historical event related mapmaking competition could be fun!

I remember that two years ago (i think?), at the summer mapmaking contest there were 3 categories (correct me if I'm wrong), single player, multiplayer and a category for new mapmakers, and it turned out great.

Perhaps a Christmas/historical/anything goes tournament?
posted 11-03-08 02:23 AM EDT (US)     10 / 88  
Actually, the previous summer competiton really had two categories, that for rookies was really a subcategory, since it was about maps that were submitted for one of two "regular" ones. I see your point in suggesting to run a competiton with three scenario categories, but well, it's a themed competition after all, and if made so general, how would it differ from summer contests?
posted 11-03-08 03:35 AM EDT (US)     11 / 88  
3 themes? xP
i was suggesting for it to have a theme category and an 'anything goes' one

i think a winter/Christmas theme would be fun
it is the 'Winter Holydays 2008 Themed Mapmaking Competition' after all

[This message has been edited by sKout77 (edited 11-03-2008 @ 05:11 AM).]

posted 11-03-08 01:26 PM EDT (US)     12 / 88  
I'm thinking two categories....

Christmas - Or other Holiday related to the Dec Winter Holidays like Hanukkah, New Years etc. Doesn't just have to be the Christian Holiday and as was pointed out above who knows what they celebrate in the Age of Wonders. Have fun with it.

Historical - Could be a sp map of your personal journey through life in a make believe world, your home town, a historical place or event. Too bad AW just uploaded Ode to Van Vogt as I learned a whole lot about an historical author that wrote sci-fi.

Since the categories have themes I don't think we would need a third "anything goes" type category. There is sufficient opportunity to be as it is. Maps could be SP or MP or any MOD. I don't think that limits anyone. Judging gets to be tricky but can be figured out.

I'll give this a few more days for comments before posting something official but these are my thoughts (much too busy with the 1v1 tourney right now )
posted 11-03-08 03:16 PM EDT (US)     13 / 88  
I'm not to fond of themes but I guess I could come up with something historical.

"Your greatest map ever" theme would be nice otherwise

/Eriksson
Life is nothing but a game
poe@telia.com
posted 11-03-08 04:45 PM EDT (US)     14 / 88  
I like the idea of some sort of winter/Christmas/yule theme. Perhaps there should be some sort of guide as to the type of map, such as, maxium size of "Large" and no more than 2 levels?

One of the things that I loved about Arctic Wolfe's wining map, Snowscapes and Mirages, was the the specific objectives and unique winning conditions of the map. It wasn't just, "wipe out the whole world and win." It gave me more motivation and got me into the story more.
posted 11-04-08 02:49 PM EDT (US)     15 / 88  
I would support the idea of two categories, Historical and Christmas/New Year/Whatever-Event-You-Are-Celebrating Further limitations (say size or number of map levels) doesn't seem necessary - it would drastically decrease the number of possibilities for mapmakers, and make the contest less attractive.

Also, I can recall that when we were given the results of previous summer mapmaking tourney, the judges gave every map a rating in scale from 1 to 10, so we could see how each scored compared to other scenarios, but after the recent contest, this wasn't revealed anymore. Could we see this again when the Winter competition will be over?
posted 11-04-08 10:59 PM EDT (US)     16 / 88  
I just realized that I submitted my "historical" science fiction homage map already.

Too bad it won't count.

Oh well maybe an ode to Ray Bradbury could be next. I could call it THE ILLUSTRARED MAP!

[This message has been edited by Arctic Wolf (edited 11-04-2008 @ 11:04 PM).]

posted 11-05-08 03:38 AM EDT (US)     17 / 88  
Anything related to author of Martian Chronicles will definitely be worth playing!
posted 11-05-08 10:09 AM EDT (US)     18 / 88  
great idea, I could make a map related to recent Venezuelan violent protests (a political map? Hugo chavez sympathizers die!!) or go a bit back and make something about Petrolium discovery and Exploting since Im seeing a lot of that in my Career right now. Sound interesting? or should I go for Christmas crap?

Btw will there be any restriction if it will be strictly single player or multiplayer? Cause Im thinking single player for mine, shame is cant be played on further tourneys. what enginerd or arctic wolf think?
posted 11-05-08 10:35 AM EDT (US)     19 / 88  
slipkyes

Be as original and creative as you can. For ideas on your Petroleum exploitation map, download my original Apprentice map in the multiplayer section. The map has nothing to do with original AOW story line. Instead it parodies the politics of construction and development in a small city.

Another great map to look at is Vince Bly's most excellent 'Star Ranger Academy'. (Single Player Map) He exports AOW into a loosely based Sci Fi theme.

These maps show how you can throw off the shackles of the AOW world and create something unique and different.
posted 11-05-08 11:07 AM EDT (US)     20 / 88  
thanks for the advice arctic wolf, Ill check out your apprentice map. Im already working on the story for my map from what I can remember from my hydrocarbons class. So im thinking a 1v1 which would be more fun to play in PBEMs. Im definitely in for this competition! fear the Venezuelan!
posted 11-08-08 05:33 AM EDT (US)     21 / 88  
I'm liking the way this tournament seems to be shaping up, it allows a lot of room for creativity and also for mapmakers to vent about their past in a different way. I would definitely enter, after missing out on the last one I'm just bursting to make a map.

This is a dignified place for dignified people, young man. Top hats and monocles are not only recommended, they're required.

Black Hound
posted 11-16-08 03:10 PM EDT (US)     22 / 88  
Header has been updated... the tourney has officially begun (well... many of you have already started on your maps). Anyways....

I want to register my map.... Historical theme... map title Andelin's Quest (yikes... now I really have to finish this map )
posted 11-17-08 10:34 AM EDT (US)     23 / 88  
excellent!

historical maps aren't my thing but I think I can come up with something fun for all you winter holiday lovers ;P
posted 11-17-08 11:43 AM EDT (US)     24 / 88  
you can register a map if it isnt done yet? enginerd did it, right? Mine is Called "Mene in Venezuela" in the historical theme. About halfway through
posted 11-17-08 06:11 PM EDT (US)     25 / 88  
I'll register my map "War of 1812" for the historical category.

Jim Brannen

[This message has been edited by Froster (edited 11-17-2008 @ 06:12 PM).]

posted 11-17-08 10:21 PM EDT (US)     26 / 88  
Yes, the map does not need to be completed before you register it. You can register it at any time, now you just must upload it before the deadline. Also, you can make changes to your map before the deadline even if you uploaded it. The judging won't begin until after the deadline.

3 Maps... all Historical and looks like we might have one in the works for a Festive theme..... sounds like a great start
posted 11-19-08 03:19 PM EDT (US)     27 / 88  
Just Curios

Would a joint submission be acceptable in the Holiday Category? I'm thinking of a mini campaign with two mapmakers combining their efforts in order to meet the deadline.
posted 11-19-08 03:50 PM EDT (US)     28 / 88  
Would a joint submission be acceptable in the Holiday Category?
Interesting idea.... I'll have to think about it... I'm leaning towards allowing it.... go ahead and start working the project while we gather some feedback.... any objections from the other mapmakers?
posted 11-19-08 06:18 PM EDT (US)     29 / 88  
I think that's a great idea!

Jim Brannen
posted 11-20-08 12:18 PM EDT (US)     30 / 88  
I'm not missing this competition like the others. I'll probably enter the festive theme. Also, I don't mind the idea of two mapmakers working together but the campaign might outweigh single maps by its storyline. Just a thought but I generally don't mind.

Black Hound
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder » Winter Holidays 2008 Themed Mapmaking Competition
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames