AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: 2009 Team Competition - 2 vs 2
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 02-28-09 05:52 PM EDT (US)   
The 2009 doubles tournament is about to start, sign up NOW! Just post your name and email address below. Sign Ups Open until Midnight ET March 12th.

The Rules:

This will be a doubles tournament with all games being played by 2 player teams (2 vs 2). When you sign up I will place each player in one of two brackets. One for “Experienced” players and one for “Others”. I do not mean to slight anyone by putting them in one group or the other, I have a good feel for the experienced players out there but we have some new ones that I’m not that familiar with so the “other” group is likely to have the black horse of the tourney in there. I will base the seeding on my experience with your play, the wizard ladder, and the most recent 1v1 tourney. Each group will be split up equally in numbers and then I will randomly pick teams grabbing one player from each group. This way (in theory) we minimize the chance of having an “uber” and "newbie" teams from the start.

Map – Round 1 map will be a classic that was used in the 2001 World Cup, we will use either use The Feud (the most recent one in the dl section) or Thinreed Lake World Cup 2001 version. I like them both, one is a quick battle with strong troops, the other you get a little bit more time to develop but neither is TOO large and should provide fast play.

Round 1 Games – I will guarantee that all teams will play a minimum of two games…. If we have enough sign up then the brackets will have a round robin style to them where you get to play both sides of the round 1 map, otherwise we’ll end up in a double elimination style format.

Map – Round 2 and beyond… Swiss tourney style. Teams will be ranked after Round 1 and the #1 seed will then play the #2 seed... and so on. You will only play against a team once during the tourney. Highest ranked team of round 1 get to pick the map for Round 2, their opponent gets to pick the race first. Lower seeded teams get to pick the race first in the other games too. Each round we will repeat this process. There will be a round 3 and round 4.

If we have an odd number of players sign up then I will be the last one to sign up to make it an even number.

Teams – you keep your team all the way through the tourney, no subs, if a player leaves, the team loses and is disqualified.

Sign ups begin Now and will remain open until Mar 12 midnight Eastern time. First games will be sent out Friday night March 13.

Players Signed Up:
(green players are experienced, yellow are new players, no color... you're on the fence and I haven't decided yet, much depends on how many more sign up like Draco, AW, me.)

1. Pawel (pstrz at o2 dot pl)
2. Thorongil (Th0r0ngil at hotmail dot com)
3. Disenchanted (disenchanted dot aow at gmail dot com)

4. Froster (branneji at yahoo dot ca)
5. TravisII (xjecht at yahoo dot com)

6. Crazyslyhawk (emacfallon at hotmail dot com)
7. Eriksson (poe at telia dot com)
8. Zsaber (zhenghzjm at hotmail dot com)

9. TuoDrable (brechtneyrinck at telenet dot be)
10. Deroman (ragederoman at luukku dot com)
11. Yemguy (yem80092 at gmail dot com)
12. Dan Peterson (dan-petersson at bredband dot net)
13. Alphonze 56 (dusial56 at yahoo com)
14. Drazha (srbapet et gmail dot com)
15. Sh0sUr0 (sh0sur0 at hotmail dot com)

16. Fubarno (rutbeer at earthlink dot net)
17. Slipkyes (slipkyesbass at gmail dot com)
18. Draco (draco at heavengames dot com)
19. Dafyth (dwcarless at yahoo dot com)
20. Enginerd mjschuck at fidnet dot com)

Teams: One Green and One Yellow - email me or post here, mutually agreed teammates will get paired up, if you don't get paired up then I'll randomly put the final teams together

Click the link below to see the tourney brackets, team rankings and final tourney setup:

[JPEG, (611.05 KB)]

[This message has been edited by Enginerd (edited 03-21-2009 @ 10:05 AM).]

Replies:
posted 02-28-09 06:06 PM EDT (US)     1 / 85  
I'm in!

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
posted 02-28-09 06:29 PM EDT (US)     2 / 85  
ok

If you've come for a visit, you'd be welcome with fewer, if you've come to take me away, you'll need a lot more.
posted 02-28-09 06:30 PM EDT (US)     3 / 85  
Sign me up.

*Shakes fist at Thorongil for beating me by <1 minute, while I was logging in*

[This message has been edited by disenchanted (edited 02-28-2009 @ 06:32 PM).]

posted 02-28-09 09:06 PM EDT (US)     4 / 85  
Sign me up!

branneji@yahoo.ca

Jim Brannen
Email: branneji@yahoo.ca
Timezone: -5 GMT (New York Time)
posted 02-28-09 10:10 PM EDT (US)     5 / 85  
Sign me up!

xjecht at yahoo . com
posted 03-01-09 01:10 AM EDT (US)     6 / 85  
Not my fault you still use a 486 with dial up. :-P

If you've come for a visit, you'd be welcome with fewer, if you've come to take me away, you'll need a lot more.
posted 03-01-09 04:45 AM EDT (US)     7 / 85  
I am in

Token Irish Gamer!
posted 03-01-09 07:04 AM EDT (US)     8 / 85  
I'll play.

/Eriksson
Life is nothing but a game
poe@telia.com
posted 03-01-09 02:16 PM EDT (US)     9 / 85  
Most excellent, 7 players already and we've got a new forum member in the group too. Welcome Travis, check out the PBEM forums and get going in a game to get yourself prepared for the tourney, glad you signed up.
posted 03-01-09 02:30 PM EDT (US)     10 / 85  
is there gonna be a AoW SM team tourney too ??

edit: because i don't have the first AoW , wanna join a competition

What tastes like chicken? Precious ? Yes !
Chicken does, but so does turkey. It means they are all
against us, how else would explain such an inconsistency ?

You ,you're against me, at least I know that.

The universe smiles wicked, hungry smile at us, but through bars, mind you.

[This message has been edited by luke811 (edited 03-01-2009 @ 02:31 PM).]

posted 03-01-09 07:27 PM EDT (US)     11 / 85  
Not my fault you still use a 486 with dial up
That's what she said!
posted 03-01-09 10:06 PM EDT (US)     12 / 85  
@ Thorongil and Disenchanted - you guys crack me up

@ Luke - The SM mapmaking tourney going on right now will have the winning map used in a 1v1 tourney this summer. Between now and then not sure what they have in the pipeline..... however... check out the bargain bins and various websites that sell AoW1, pick yourself up a copy and come join our tourney
posted 03-02-09 01:24 AM EDT (US)     13 / 85  
I love team games. Sign me up too .
posted 03-02-09 03:31 AM EDT (US)     14 / 85  
TuoDrable reporting for duty :-)

brechtneyrinck #at# telenet @dot@ be

[This message has been edited by TuoDrable (edited 03-02-2009 @ 03:34 AM).]

posted 03-02-09 05:58 AM EDT (US)     15 / 85  
After taking part to the discussion concerning this tourney, I can't but help to join in.
I believe you remember my email, Engie?

-/X\(++)/X\-L.E.D. Frozen Warrior-/X\(++)/X\-
posted 03-02-09 08:07 AM EDT (US)     16 / 85  
Hey All! Sign Me Up! You'll just have to tell me exactly what to do because I'm still not all that sure with the scematics of these tournaments. This'll be my first one, huzzah!
My email address is (in case you don't have it); yem80092@gmail.com

Live in Peace
Yemguy
posted 03-02-09 08:43 PM EDT (US)     17 / 85  
Header updated... already have 11... that was fast.

I'll go through the email addresses later and post them in the header. Keep posting them so I can find them easily, I've got most everybody that is signed up I think. I'll bug you guys if I need an update
posted 03-03-09 01:04 AM EDT (US)     18 / 85  
Not my fault you still use a 486 with dial up
That's what she said!
Strange women lying in ponds distributing random sayings is no basis for a system of posting replies...

posted 03-04-09 04:03 AM EDT (US)     19 / 85  
Strange women lying in ponds distributing random sayings is no basis for a system of posting replies...
And now apparently you're throwing down the gauntlet with random quotes from Monty Python...I warn you, sir, do not attempt to match your powers of illogical reasoning against mine! I am the king of casuistry, the master of misapprehension, the sultan of solecism! also I have a thesaurus I see no honor in fighting a non sequitur duel against an unarmed opponent.
posted 03-04-09 06:12 PM EDT (US)     20 / 85  
Count me in!

It´s nice to be important, but it´s more important to be nice.
posted 03-05-09 00:27 AM EDT (US)     21 / 85  
Yeah! Imma sign up NOW! As you so put it, Engi.
posted 03-05-09 03:16 AM EDT (US)     22 / 85  
And now apparently you're throwing down the gauntlet with random quotes from Monty Python...I warn you, sir, do not attempt to match your powers of illogical reasoning against mine! I am the king of casuistry, the master of misapprehension, the sultan of solecism! also I have a thesaurus I see no honor in fighting a non sequitur duel against an unarmed opponent.
I don't know, you've got to be careful of those unarmed opponents...

posted 03-05-09 11:31 AM EDT (US)     23 / 85  
Hi,

Never played with you guys before, but I don't want to miss this one too. Address is srbapet et gmail dot com

Drazha
posted 03-06-09 06:55 PM EDT (US)     24 / 85  
header updated... that makes 14... WOW! Wonder how many we'll get by the time the sign ups close???
posted 03-07-09 11:12 AM EDT (US)     25 / 85  
Hello, im new on the forum, but i consider myself as a veteran in AoW and i would like to participate in the competition ^^
posted 03-07-09 11:56 AM EDT (US)     26 / 85  
welcome Shosuro! Exciting to see new players joining this is great. Header updated, check your emails to make sure I got them correct. If I didn't have them I pulled them from your profile.

Also, I've started to put you into the two groups, green for experienced veterans, yellow for non veterans and newer players that I have no idea how strong you are (and we've got lots of them). We'll see how many more sign up and then I can put those on the bubble into a group. Much depends if Draco, AW sign up and if I'm needed to round out the group (we'd all be green ) If you want to argue about your starting spot feel free... CSH is on the bubble since he made it the second round of the 1v1, Deroman and Pawel are also strong contenders for the veteran group. I feel like we'll have some really good teams....

Speaking of that... I was asked a question about how "random" the teams will be. My initial thought was random number generator one green and one yellow. I'm open to suggestions but if two people mutually agree to be team-mates (one yellow, one green) then should I take that into account when putting the teams together? Your thoughts. I think by having the two groups we'll avoid the "uber" teams.
posted 03-07-09 12:05 PM EDT (US)     27 / 85  
For the randomizing, you could use dice.

What will happen if there's a different number of greens and yellows?

Jim Brannen
Email: branneji@yahoo.ca
Timezone: -5 GMT (New York Time)
posted 03-07-09 12:16 PM EDT (US)     28 / 85  
There won't be a different number of greens and yellows, I'll make sure of that
posted 03-07-09 05:25 PM EDT (US)     29 / 85  
I have the disk, need to get the most recent patch, but hell, I'll jump into the fray. Sign me up.

rutbeer at earthlink dot net

Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it. - Vaclav Havel
Download these maps I have made...
Destiny of Rivals
Valley of Turmoil
High Passes
Minions of Gruumsh
posted 03-07-09 05:32 PM EDT (US)     30 / 85  
That makes 16!!! I wonder what the final number will be (and it's nice to recruit someone from the SM forums too )
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder » 2009 Team Competition - 2 vs 2
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames