You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Pride of a Princess WL Blind game Cup Challenge for AOW1 - Sign up here
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
posted 04-04-03 02:21 PM EDT (US)   
I am hereby introducing my new map "Pride of a Princess" as a Wizards Ladder Cup Challenge. The challenge will be played as a blind game, i.e. no one will be allowed to see the map in advance.

To be able to start the game I require at least 8 WL players to sign up, but more players are very welcome. If exactly 8 or 16 players sign up, the first round will count towards the Ladder, since the game will be played as a Cup, with quarter finals, semi finals and a grand finale between the two best players. If the number of players interested end somewhere between 8 and 16 there will have to be a qualifying round, with the best 8 players earning a spot in the quarter finals. This qualifyling round will not count towards the ladder. If this situation occurs, I will then explain in detail how the qualifyling round will be played. Lots of different scenarios can occur depending on how many players sign up.

Since the game is a blind game, I will not participate for obvious reasons, but I will administer all the games, start them, make the turn log threads etc.

The story goes like this:

Moments of glory and joy often don't last very long. In the land of Kirunia the forces of good and neutrality once worked together and cleansed to lands of the evil forces of undead, orcs, goblins and dark elves. They drove the forces back to the underground, believing them to be destroyed for good. For ten years there has been peace and harmony all across the land. Now, relations are starting to deteriorate as there has aroused some sour feelings among the kingdoms.

It all started at the annual spring festival held at Sir Robinald of the Highmen. All of the other former allies were invited, i.e. the humans, elves, dwarves and the halflings. The elven princess Alyria has always considered herself the most beautiful heir of all thrones in Kirunia, and her pride is well known across the land. Now things didn't turn out better at the spring festival that the dwarven princess Daina made a remark over Alyria's ears, and pointed it out to her that pointed ears are not pretty at all.

Alyria was outraged by this remark and immediately responed with the words: "Big talk from such a diminutive person like yourself. Double your length and I shall consider speaking to you again."

The elven king Ahron and the dwarven king Torian were both shocked by their daughters' stories and got into a dispute with each other over how a princess should be properly treated.

Things did not get better when Sir Robinald's daughter, princess Jeana, exclaimed that no race in the world could match the beauty of a highman princess, especially someone as stunning as herself. The pride and foolishness of the three princesses nearly led to violent acts, and if it had not been for the interferance of the halfling king Burrowfoot, surely someone would have drawn steel that night.

After this sad evening, relations were never the same again between the former allies. The bloodsworn alliance has been broken, and all are now watching their borders suspiciously. There has even been rumors of war, but luckily that has not happened yet.

The ten years of peace have made all the former allies a bit unalert, and the armies have not had proper training in years. Now this is starting to change, since you cannot trust your neighbours anymore. The peaceful years seem to be ending very soon. All because of the foolish pride of a princess.

Some notes about the map:
This map is very challenging in a PBEM game, but I think it could offer some trouble in a single player game as well. It is constructed for leaders OFF, because it would simply be too easy to get exterminated otherwise. In game tests I was attacked by the AI pretty early in the game, and you should be prepared for some unpleasant surprises. A tough struggle to stay alive awaits you. I hope you will enjoy it and Good luck! You will need it.

If you are interested in joining this challenge, please sign up here and state your email address. The races played in the game will be randomized by me, and the setup of the game will be:

Leaders: OFF (You start with three heroes)
Customization: OFF (The map is constructed for specific magic spheres)
Exploration: ON
Allied victory: ON (You will be at war with your human opponent from the start though.)
Map size: XL with one underground level
No Free moving or Wind Walking ships
Follow the AoW Heaven etiquette and don't abuse posses or dominate.
Since this is a Wizards Ladder challenge supported by
Cay, I also ask you to follow the rules of the Wizards Ladder, e.g. play your turns as quickly as possible to avoid delaying the next round of the finals.
Races available are
Humans, Elves, Halflings, Dwarves and Highmen.

These players have signed up so far:

1. Blacksmith_Tony - markdellis at hotmail dot com
2. Sprout - speicher at wueconc dot wustl.edu
3. Eriksson - p dot ove.eriksson at telia.com
4. GillB - gillb at heavengames dot com
5. Sleet - sleet at shaw dot ca
6. unicorn77 - unicorn at 77heron dot freeserve.co.uk
7. Jaheira - dehall74 at cogeco dot ca
8. OnePoorHalfling - armed_ at lingz dot org
9. Terryn - [ Protocol 'maimailto' in URL is not supported ]
10. heavykaragh - heavykaragh at hotmail dot com
11. Hoplosternum - hoplosternum at hotmail dot com
12. Nojd - nojd at heavengames dot com
13. Thorongil - joseph dot brooks at asbury.edu
14. jaricus - jaricus at hotmail dot com
15. chef - pauldmm at hotmail dot com
16. Scorpi0 - scorpio_ritchie at hotmail dot com
17. Walky - walky_one at gmx dot ch
18. Jayhawk - jayhawk at heavengames dot com
19. Elvons - shrekrocks at yahoo dot ca
20. Emperor_Bone14 - tnchad at msn dot com
21. enginerd - mjschuck at juno dot com
22. Ill Frog - a3_pbem at km dot ru
23. crowclaw - hans dot strom at bredband.net
24. Cay - cay at heavengames dot com

Here I will keep track of the challenge as it proceeds:

Round 1

Game 1 - enginerd defeated Emperor_Bone14 and has earned a slot in Round 2, Game 2

Game 2 - jaricus defeated Cay and has earned a slot in Round 2, Game 2

Game 3 - unicorn77 defeated Ill Frog and has earned a slot in Round 2, Game 4

Game 4 - crowclaw defeated chef by forfeit, and has earned a slot in Round 2, Game 4

Game 5 - GillB defeated OnePoorHalfling by default, and has earned a slot in Round 2, Game 6

Game 6 - Thorongil defeated heavykaragh and has earned a slot in Round 2, Game 6

Game 7 - Elvons defeated Jaheira and has earned a slot in Round 2, Game 8

Game 8 - Walky defeated Scorpi0 and has earned a slot in Round 2, Game 8

Round 2

Game 1 - Sprout defeated Hoplosternum and has earned a slot in quarter final 1

Game 2 - enginerd defeated jaricus and has earned a slot in quarter final 1

Game 3 - Nojd defeated Jayhawk and has earned a slot in quarter final 2

Game 4 - unicorn77 defeated crowclaw and has earned a slot in quarter final 2

Game 5 - Sleet defeated Terryn and has earned a slot in quarter final 3

Game 6 - Thorongil defeated GillB and has earned a slot in quarter final 3

Game 7 - Eriksson defeated Blacksmith_Tony and has earned a slot in quarter final 4

Game 8 - This game will be a default victory because Walky is unable to continue playing. A free slot in Quarter Final 4 will be awarded to Elvons

Quarter Finals

Game 1 - Sprout defeated enginerd and has earned a slot in semi final 1

Game 2 - Nojd defeated unicorn77 and has earned a slot in semi final 1

Game 3 -
Thorongil defeated Sleet and has earned a slot in semi final 2

Game 4 - Elvons defeated Eriksson and has earned a slot in semi final 2

Semi Finals

Game 1 - Sprout defeated Nojd and has earned a slot in the Final

Game 2 - Elvons defeated Thorongil and has earned a slot in the Final

Final Game

Elvons defeated Sprout

The Champion is ELVONS!

Dan Petersson

PS. I would like to thank Cay for his ideas, comments and support for this challenge. Also, thanks to Ladyhawke and Ralph who helped me with game tests. DS.

Itīs nice to be important, but itīs more important to be nice.

[This message has been edited by Dan Petersson (edited 07-05-2004 @ 04:10 PM).]

Replies:
posted 04-04-03 06:49 PM EDT (US)     1 / 142  
I'll sign up.

email: markdellis@hotmail.com

cheers.

posted 04-04-03 07:24 PM EDT (US)     2 / 142  
Just signed up on the ladder, totally inexperienced at PBEM, but I'd like to play.

jay at immaterial dot net

Thanks,
JWorth

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 04-04-2003 @ 07:26 PM).]

posted 04-04-03 09:55 PM EDT (US)     3 / 142  
Please clarify if this Cup Challenge is for aow1 or aow2. From the context of your post (Leaders off), it seems like aow1. I also noticed that JWorth signed up at aow2 WL though ... Personally, I have only purchased aow2 so I won't be able to participate if it's a aow1 challenge either.

Outlier out ...

posted 04-04-03 11:59 PM EDT (US)     4 / 142  
It is a AOW 1 tourny I believe.

Glad you were able to finish the map Dan.

I would love to play it! Count me in!

Sprout

speicher@wueconc.wustl.edu

posted 04-05-03 00:12 AM EDT (US)     5 / 142  
I've been playing AOW1 for some time but never done anything online and I'm new to this forum. I might be interested in signing up. How's this whole Cup Challenge work?
posted 04-05-03 12:39 PM EDT (US)     6 / 142  
Whoops, Outlier is absolutely correct. I must not have been paying too much attention when I read the event description. Sorry about that. I have to withdraw my signup -- I haven't played AOW1 in years.
posted 04-05-03 01:03 PM EDT (US)     7 / 142  
Sign me up please

/Eriksson
Life is nothing but a game
poe@telia.com
posted 04-05-03 03:27 PM EDT (US)     8 / 142  
Hi all!

I am glad that some people have already signed up, and I am looking forward to getting more players signing up for the Challenge.

As Sprout already pointed out, this is an AoW1 Challenge, and I'll now try to explain a bit more in detail how this competition will take place.

To participate in the tournament you have to be registered as a Wizard's Ladder player. Check the sticky theads in the AoW1 Play By Email (Turn Logs) & Wizard's Ladder Forum to find out more about the Wizard's Ladder. If you want to sign up for the Wizard's Ladder, do so here.

If exactly 8, 16 or 32 players sign up for the Cup Challenge, it will be easy for me to set up the tournament. The first round will in this case count towards the Wizard's Ladder. I will split the players into two categories:

1. The players with the highest ranking on the Wizard's Ladder
2. The players with the lowest ranking on the Wizard's Ladder.

In the first round, all matches will be played with one player from category 1 meeting a player from category 2. This is to avoid that the highest ranked players on the Ladder meet in the first round. I will roll dice to determine the matches. All matches will be played as 1 vs 1 games, where the winner automatically qualifies for the next round. The loser is out of the tournament.

If the number of participants is NOT 8, 16 or 32, there will be a qualifying round to determine who will take part in the Cup part of the Challenge. This qualifying round will not count towards the Wizard's Ladder, because it will not be played with balanced teams.

Example 1: If 10 players sign up, there will be 2 qualifying games with 5 players in each game. The first player to get exterminated in each of those games, is out of the tournament. The other 8 players will then play the quarter finals.

Example 2: If 12 players sign up, there will be four games, with 3 players in each game. The two best players in each of those games will earn a spot in the quarter finals.

In both of the examples above I will seed the players before I randomize the players in each qualifying game. In example 2 above, there will be three player categories, with one player from each category taking a place in each qualifying game. So there will be one high ranked player, one medium ranked, and one low ranked player in each game.

No matter if there is going to be a qualifying round or not, I will randomly decide which races will be played in each match. Once we have reached round 2 of the tournament I may let the players choose their race if both players agree to that, but the first round will be played with random races.

I will not release the map until this tournament has reached at least the semi finals. If all players in the semi finals agree that the map can now be released, I will do that. Otherwise, the map will remain secret until the end of this tournament.

I hope this clarifies any questions you might have, but if there are other questions I will gladly answer them here.

I hope you all will enjoy this tournament. I am looking forward to setting it up.
Dan Petersson

posted 04-05-03 05:13 PM EDT (US)     9 / 142  
Please add me - gillb@heavengames.com

'Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened' Moving Pictures
posted 04-05-03 08:03 PM EDT (US)     10 / 142  
Sounds great Dan! Sign me up please!

Salute.

Sleet

posted 04-06-03 06:44 AM EDT (US)     11 / 142  
Excellent! I'm in - unicorn@77heron.freeserve.co.uk.
posted 04-06-03 11:18 AM EDT (US)     12 / 142  
Sounds like fun! Sign me up please!

email: dehall74@cogeco.ca

Cheers!
Jaheira

posted 04-06-03 11:44 AM EDT (US)     13 / 142  
I'll sign up. I won't be able to play any turns 'till Tuesday, however.

armed_@lingz.org

posted 04-06-03 12:03 PM EDT (US)     14 / 142  
Sign me up!

Terryn
email: oozemaru@home.se

posted 04-06-03 03:37 PM EDT (US)     15 / 142  
i want to participate
heavykaragh@hotmail.com
posted 04-06-03 05:15 PM EDT (US)     16 / 142  
Please sign me up to.

hoplosternum@hotmail.com

posted 04-06-03 05:16 PM EDT (US)     17 / 142  
I would like to join, but I don't think I can. Can I?

The problem is that I'm going away, and will be off-line April 13-25.

If that's acceptable, my email is nojd@heavengames.com

posted 04-06-03 06:26 PM EDT (US)     18 / 142  
Hi all!

Twelve players already signed up. Perhaps we can reach 16 players or even more?

Nojd, of course you can participate. Your absence will delay your game for a week and a half, but I feel that we can live with that. You can hopefully catch up when you get back.

/Dan

posted 04-06-03 09:43 PM EDT (US)     19 / 142  
Haven't been signing up for any new games lately...but this sounds cool, and I've finished a few...I'll have a go at it.
posted 04-07-03 07:00 AM EDT (US)     20 / 142  
Sign me up !
jaricus@hotmail.com
posted 04-07-03 08:14 AM EDT (US)     21 / 142  
sign me up pauldmm@hotmail.com
posted 04-07-03 02:27 PM EDT (US)     22 / 142  
Ill join in :-)

scorpio_ritchie@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by Scorpi0 (edited 04-07-2003 @ 04:17 PM).]

posted 04-07-03 04:23 PM EDT (US)     23 / 142  
PROBLEM PROBLEM

I just signed up but i just changed my e-mail address thing to scorpio_ritchie@hotmail.com yet im in the game as robert.ritchie@telia.com, i cant still play by that but please change it.

posted 04-07-03 04:25 PM EDT (US)     24 / 142  
Since I just finished one game I guess I'll be able to sign up I just hope this is over before 25th of June (I won't be able to play more than one turn per week after that. Maybe not even one...)

Walky, walky_one(at)gmx.ch

posted 04-08-03 07:29 AM EDT (US)     25 / 142  
Some thoughts about the tournament:

Right now we have 17 signed up players. Cay has promised to join in if we need an extra player to reach a good total number of players.

I feel that it will be hard to reach 32 players, so some kind of pre qualifier will probably be needed. The optimal would then be if we could reach 20 or 24 players.

20 players: There will be 4 qualifying games with 5 players in each game. The first person to get exterminated in each of those games is out of the tournament.

24: players: There will be 8 qualifying games with 3 players in each game. The first person to get exterminated in each of those games is out of the tournament.

This means that either 2 or 6 additional players need to sign up. (Since Cay will fill in the last spot.) I hope we can have a few more players shortly, so we can start the qualifying round.

All for now!
Dan

posted 04-08-03 08:17 AM EDT (US)     26 / 142  
Another alternative would be that the highest ranked players automatically qualify for the second round, and some of the others would have to fight to earn a spot in the second round. The advantage with this system is that there would be 1 vs 1 games right from the start, and the risk of an unbalanced qualifying round would be eliminated.

I would tend to rank the ZERO gamers lower than those that have already scored some results on the ladder. This would mean that some of the ZERO gamers would have to play the first round to earn a spot in the second round with sixteen players.

Any comments?

Oh, and by the way: Enginerd, are you interested in participating? You said earlier that you might be interested.

posted 04-08-03 08:18 AM EDT (US)     27 / 142  
I don't quite like the idea of qualifying games with 5 players in them (not 3 either actually ).

Ofcourse I haven't seen the map but it's XL with one underground and we'll be playing without leaders. With 5 players I don't think it's realistic to expect more than 3-4 turns/week in the slowest moving game. How many days to kill one player in an XL map? 20? 25? My guess is that this will take atleast 2 months real time.

Then there is the possibility of people teaming up to kill a player quick which will make it unfair to the "victim".

I would prefer a system where some players go directly into 2nd round, either by highest ranking system or just by drawing lots. you should try to keep the games 1 vs 1. If we are only somewhat more than 16 many of the games in 2nd round could start right away too since there is no player that needs to be ready from the first round in many occations.

Ofcourse this is jusy my personal opinion

/Eriksson
poe@telia.com
posted 04-08-03 08:27 AM EDT (US)     28 / 142  
Thanks for your comment Eriksson. I do agree with you that a qualifier will be too time consuming. If nobody has any objections about this I feel that we should keep the signup open until Friday, and then I will start setting the tournament up. If I need to throw in Cay to balance the number of games I will do so.

With this method it doesn't really matter how many players that sign up either. More players will simply mean more players in the first round.

More players are welcome to join! So sign up now before it's too late. Deadline set to Friday 11th of April.

posted 04-08-03 08:41 AM EDT (US)     29 / 142  
Hehe...seems we posted almost at the same time

An issue is if you should let those who have to play in the first round face another one who has played a first round game in the 2nd round or if you should "spread out" the first round games.

I personally think it's better to fill up with the 1st round games next to eachother so that more games can start right away in the 2nd round.
Hm....does this make any sense? i get confused myself Explaining things in english isn't my strongest side

/Eriksson
poe@telia.com

[This message has been edited by Eriksson (edited 04-08-2003 @ 08:47 AM).]

posted 04-08-03 02:18 PM EDT (US)     30 / 142  
Do count me in?
That is, If I can find my CD again, which seems to have gone into hiding while I moved stuff around...

...scratch that...

It was still in my CD player...

Angel Jayhawk
Eyrie • Caesar 4 Heaven • Children of the Nile Heaven • Stronghold Heaven • Caesar 3 Heaven • Emperor Heaven • Pharaoh Heaven • Zeus Heaven • My Deviations
Support your local Heaven • My Recommendations • EXCO • HALO
I believe violence will only increase the cycle of violence. — The Dalai Lama
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder » Pride of a Princess WL Blind game Cup Challenge for AOW1 - Sign up here
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames