You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs)
Moderated by Timelord, Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: WL 2v2 River Ran Through It (Nojd-Uni vs Dan-Eng)
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 07-03-05 07:31 PM EDT (US)   
WL Team match on Green Monster's SM rendition of "A River Ran Through It"

Players:
Nojd as the Halflings and
Unicorn as the Elves
vs.
Dan Peterson as the Orcs and
Enginerd as the Tigrans

Special thanks to....
Fubarno for his recommendations
Green Monster for sending us the map
Roger for helping us set up the game

Standard house rules
Allied Victory ON, Surrender OFF

Let the FUN Begin!!!

Replies:
posted 07-04-05 04:17 PM EDT (US)     1 / 100  
Right, tis set up!

I decided in the end to leave the map with Greenmonsters wizard set up, because it seemed more in keeping with the specific natures of each wizard, both in terms of each wizards particular skillset and the spheres allocated. To be honest, I haven't a clue as to how this would change the gameplay from all having the same skills and spheres, except that, e.g. Tigrans would benefit from keeping fire spheres in view of the nodes nearby.

So the only change to the map is setting the diplomacy to allied, apart from slight name changes. As this is cosmetic, I havent' issued the map, but can do so if necessary. Also, can change anything if anyone objects after seeing the first turn.

First turn goes to Dan, assuming I typed in his correct email address (and everybody elses!). Good luck all, but mainly Nojd!

posted 07-05-05 05:38 PM EDT (US)     2 / 100  
Orcs day 1

We set out to conquer the surroundings, but we are also a bit cautious, aware of the dangers lurking out there.

Turn sent!

Good luck to you all! I am looking forward to my second ever SM PBEM game. Hopefully this one will go better than the last one.

Itīs nice to be important, but itīs more important to be nice.

[This message has been edited by Dan Petersson (edited 07-05-2005 @ 05:38 PM).]

posted 07-05-05 05:58 PM EDT (US)     3 / 100  
Elves day 1

We don't have much to conquer with, so we set about the business of spellcasting.

[This message has been edited by unicorn77 (edited 07-05-2005 @ 05:58 PM).]

posted 07-10-05 09:43 PM EDT (US)     4 / 100  
Tigrans day 1

Immediately we are set upon with a Quest, destroy the infidels.... Fortunately they appear 2 hexes away from our capital and we easily destroy them

Now we are off to fight off the eagles that are flying around.

posted 07-11-05 06:11 PM EDT (US)     5 / 100  
Orcs day 2

Things are proceeding just fine. We captured a small village and completed a quest today.

Turn sent!

posted 07-11-05 06:49 PM EDT (US)     6 / 100  
Elves day 2

Some careful exploration. And we learn a new trick which we hope pleases the Haynojd.

posted 07-12-05 05:59 PM EDT (US)     7 / 100  
Sorry about the restart message. I'm at my parents' place for 3 weeks, so I'm playing on their computer.

Day 2, Nojd of the Halflings Reports
The Elves are nice! We like them!

Turn sent to Tigrans (Enginerd).

posted 07-12-05 07:45 PM EDT (US)     8 / 100  
Tigrans

Another fine day killing eagles. More of them will die tomorrow.

posted 07-13-05 06:11 PM EDT (US)     9 / 100  
Orcs day 3

We have made a decision that we really hope that we won't regret later...

Turn sent!

posted 07-14-05 05:06 PM EDT (US)     10 / 100  
Elves day 3

No real action, apart from some more halfling pleasing.

posted 07-15-05 03:51 PM EDT (US)     11 / 100  
Day 3, Jeremia Haynojd of the Halflings Reports
Still no sign of the enemy, but we're happy with our frienly neigbours.

posted 07-15-05 11:41 PM EDT (US)     12 / 100  
Tigrans

Another fine day chasing down eagles, must go find more of them tomorrow.

posted 07-16-05 05:20 PM EDT (US)     13 / 100  
Orcs day 4

It's very quiet in ork lands. We go to kill some folks.

Turn sent!

posted 07-16-05 05:36 PM EDT (US)     14 / 100  
Elves day 4

Even less action. Some indy frogs did attack in the night, but they all died.

posted 07-16-05 08:17 PM EDT (US)     15 / 100  
Day 4, Jeremia Haynojd of the Halflings Reports
We gained a little territory, but still the world is peaceful.

posted 07-16-05 10:25 PM EDT (US)     16 / 100  
Tigrans day 4

We kill a few more indie invaders and our expansion efforts continue. Some battle hardened troops do well, others do not . We see some more indies approaching, we know what to do to them.

posted 07-19-05 07:17 PM EDT (US)     17 / 100  
Orcs day 5

Glutton is hungry, glutton feeds on local animals and critters, glutton happy.

Turn sent!

PS. I had a restart, sorry about that. I experienced some problems when I tried to attack a single dragon hatchling with some of my troops. When I pressed the "Manual battle button" my troops surrendered without giving me a chance to fight. I tried restarting and attacked again, but I still had the same problem, so I decided to replay without attacking a third time. I hope this problem doesn't occur again. DS

posted 07-20-05 02:40 PM EDT (US)     18 / 100  
Elves day 5

Quiet. Very quiet. But all hail King of the Halflings!

I'm wondering what happened with Dan's manual send to me. It opened up with my turn continuing, and a restart message in the turn log but not one I saw. Not to worry, though.

And I'm hoping that surrender thingy was another one-off weirdness. I'm sure I turned surrender off. But even if I didn't, I wouldn't have thought the ai would judge a single hatchling capable of causing such a victory.

posted 07-20-05 06:34 PM EDT (US)     19 / 100  
Day 5, Jeremia Haynojd of the Halflings Reports
We were attacked several times during the night, and we lost numerous units. We'll recover quickly though.

posted 07-20-05 07:42 PM EDT (US)     20 / 100  
I guess I am responsible for the restart in your turn unicorn77. Normally when I play AoW1, and need to do a resend I simply reopen my game file in EmailIn, get a message that the turn has already been ended and that I am only allowed to resend (and then I resend). Obviously AoW:SM isn't working like that, so I had to send the turn manually from EmailIn. I guess I must have caused the restart when I accidently started your turn, trying to resend like I do it in AoW1. Sorry for my incompentence and clumsiness.

posted 07-21-05 05:07 PM EDT (US)     21 / 100  
No problem, Dan. I've found that to be the case after some problems myself. It seems to be impossible to do an auto resend. Why they changed it, I've no idea!
posted 07-21-05 06:02 PM EDT (US)     22 / 100  
Orcs day 6

Monty says; Go kill some halflings you scumbags.
Yess yess sire. Argh, there are too many of them *pain*
Monty says; Sigh, everything I needs to do myself.

Turn sent!

posted 07-22-05 12:45 PM EDT (US)     23 / 100  
c=greeny]Elves day 6

Some action. Not particularly good action.
[/c]

What is worse, I have found that surrender is not turned off. Not what I intended at all. Is everybody happy to continue as is? I wouldn't mind restarting as it can lead to silly results between human opponents. In my last game against Enginerd, he will no doubt remember my 11 units that surrendered to his admittedly superior forces.

posted 07-22-05 02:16 PM EDT (US)     24 / 100  
A restart is fine with me. I've neither done very well nor very bad.

Day 6, Jeremia Haynojd of the Halflings Reports
Almost eventless.

posted 07-22-05 06:30 PM EDT (US)     25 / 100  
Tigrans

Another fine day killing indies and grabbing up resources.

Our start has been average if not just slightly worse than that (some good some bad). A restart would likely see me slightly better off (but then again I could really blow it and be worse ). Whatever everyone wants.

posted 07-23-05 05:46 PM EDT (US)     26 / 100  
Dan says OK for a restart, so that's what I've done!

Sorry for the incompetence. Let's just hope I've not mucked up something else in the restart. I had a bit of a clear out of my emails, and I've lost nojd's brednet (?) address, so I used the heavengames one in his profile. I can always change that on the fly if required.

posted 07-23-05 06:34 PM EDT (US)     27 / 100  
Orcs day 1

-What's this, who pressed that red button with the DON'T PRESS sign on it, Ulmrat-Dan exclaims?
-Well, erm, I did, says the glutton. I thought it looked good enuf to eat.
-Sigh, now we are back where we started in our conquest, thanks to you. That button is magical and it means "Erase and rewind". Don't press it again, will you!?
-Ok boss, sorry, I go off and eat some guardians instead!

Turn sent!

posted 07-25-05 02:57 PM EDT (US)     28 / 100  
Elves day 1 agin

Different spells, but much the same principles.

Turn sent to Nojd, possibly.

posted 07-26-05 06:32 AM EDT (US)     29 / 100  
Day 1, Jeremia Haynojd of the Halflings Reports
We relive our first day of our life. Nothing strange about that.

I received the end of Uni's turn instead of the beginning of my own. That created another restart message for Uni (when I ended his turn), and might perhaps cause another one at the start of his next turn?

posted 07-30-05 02:31 PM EDT (US)     30 / 100  
Tigrans

Once again we start by killing a roaming horde of bandits. We claim the prize and set off to go kill indies, most likely it will be the eagles tomorrow...

posted 07-31-05 05:48 PM EDT (US)     31 / 100  
Orcs day 2

-Crunch, crunch, crunch, glutton eats yummy halfling guardians, harr harr harr.

Turn sent!

Sorry about the restart. I received the game with a different file name than turn one and I managed to mess things up and cause the restart.

posted 08-06-05 11:53 AM EDT (US)     32 / 100  
Elves day 2

We seem to be doing something different, these days.

Not sure how my last send got into such a state, and this turn does indeed show a restart also. I've been on holiday for a week, so apologies for the delay, and the total inability to remember how I sent the last turn.

posted 08-06-05 04:11 PM EDT (US)     33 / 100  
My primary email address is nojd@heavengames.com
If that doesn't work, and for some reason it doesn't for Uni, use nojd at bredband dot net.

I've got the turn, and will play tonight.

posted 08-06-05 05:08 PM EDT (US)     34 / 100  
Lol, again I got the end of Uni's turn instead of the beginning of my own. But at least this gave me the chance to autosend to my backup email address, so that from now on Uni will get that one as default when he autosends (or as a reminder for manual sends).

Of course, the restart messages keep flowing.

Day 2, Jeremia Haynojd of the Halflings Reports
We did quite a bit of bribeing today, but no fighting. We do fear frogs, though.

[This message has been edited by Nojd (edited 08-06-2005 @ 05:08 PM).]

posted 08-06-05 06:55 PM EDT (US)     35 / 100  
Tigrans

We kill a couple eagles but the other two are out of reach. We wonder which way they will go? Hopefully the indie battles will go our way in the night...

posted 08-09-05 06:18 AM EDT (US)     36 / 100  
Elves day 3

Very little to do, even with spellcasting. Some eagles attacked in the night and killed a unit that could have been very useful.

I've no idea what's going on with the turns. Often, when I autosend to Nojd's hg address it gets rejected. Then, as it seems that you only get one chance to autosend, and that the loaded turn gets overwritten, all I can do is manually send the one file I have saved. How it goes wrong is puzzling. The turn I received on autosend from Dan also opened up strangely, with a restart message for Nojd, followed by one for me!! I actually loaded the turn I now have saved, and checked that it did open up normally as Nojd's turn. All very strange. The only consolation is that the autosend to Nojd appears to be OK.

posted 08-09-05 03:51 PM EDT (US)     37 / 100  
Orcs day 3

A miserable turn. We attacked a town defended by three archers and a cavalry unit with no less than seven grunts. All of the grunts died and all four defenders survived.

Lesson learned: Do not attack a walled city with archers defending unless you are much much stronger.

Turn sent!

posted 08-09-05 04:33 PM EDT (US)     38 / 100  
Day 3, Jeremia Haynojd of the Halflings Reports
Our farmers keep doing their best, but that's not very impressive.

I think I recall something strange about failed autosends followed by manual sends. I had problems autosending to someone, getting bounce messages just like Uni, so I resent manually (since SM apparantly doesn't support auto-resend). Turns got mixed up just like here, with the next player getting the end of my turn instead of the beginning of his. The way to get around that was to send the game from the emailin folder instead of emailout (or was it the other way around?).

I think the autosends should work for Uni now, to the bredband address, but the next time it gets messed up, try the other EmailIn/Out folder.

posted 08-09-05 07:35 PM EDT (US)     39 / 100  
Tigrans day 3

The night was not as kind to us as it could have been but no major casualties. We start the slow process of recovering (which was kind of expected considering our starting position). So far so good.

posted 08-10-05 05:57 PM EDT (US)     40 / 100  
Orcs day 4

The glutton never stops eating.

Turn sent!

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs) » WL 2v2 River Ran Through It (Nojd-Uni vs Dan-Eng)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames