You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs)
Moderated by Timelord, Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: 09Round2 Game48 BH&GF's War (ZombieEater - Timelord)
posted 10-04-09 09:45 PM EDT (US)   
2009 Singles Tournament: Round 2
Game ID: #48
Map: Blackheart and Goodfella's War

------------------------------------------------------------
Blackheart ZombieEater, b.regalis at gmail.com
Goodfella Timelord, timelorddc at gmail.com
------------------------------------------------------------

Important reminders
* You are expected to be familiar with ALL the rules and official announcements as posted here.
* You MUST log (only 'ts' will do) your turn at least once every 48 hours or be subject to tournament warnings which may result in your disqualification.
* Please give notice of any absences longer than 48 hours in this thread.
* Houserules are in effect. Be aware that the MIGRATION TRICK (OR) is not permitted as well.

Good luck to all, and have fun!

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
Replies:
posted 10-09-09 10:44 PM EDT (US)     1 / 32  
ts

It is roaming the depths in eternal hunger, devouring all and everything, far from the light, lost in the shadows, alone, wandering, searching, evermore...
posted 10-10-09 08:53 AM EDT (US)     2 / 32  
Goodfella - Day 1

Battles went as planned. Tomorrow, we have a big battle in store and hopefully, one not as big.
We did kill a bunch of humans today and if that pirate Blackheart is commanding these rabble, he better find some other options soon.

Turn sent

2009 1v1-Mapmaking Champion, Former PBEM Singles Champion, Proud contributor to the UPatch 1.4 and 1.5 effort
War of the Twins- 1 vs 1 PBEM map, Too Much Water - 1 vs 1 PBEM map, winner of 2009 1vs1 Mapmaking Challenge
My Dragon Age development blog
posted 10-10-09 03:07 PM EDT (US)     3 / 32  
Turn sent

It is roaming the depths in eternal hunger, devouring all and everything, far from the light, lost in the shadows, alone, wandering, searching, evermore...
posted 10-10-09 04:24 PM EDT (US)     4 / 32  
Goodfella - Day 2

Turn sent

2009 1v1-Mapmaking Champion, Former PBEM Singles Champion, Proud contributor to the UPatch 1.4 and 1.5 effort
War of the Twins- 1 vs 1 PBEM map, Too Much Water - 1 vs 1 PBEM map, winner of 2009 1vs1 Mapmaking Challenge
posted 10-10-09 05:03 PM EDT (US)     5 / 32  
Options abound.

ts

posted 10-10-09 11:05 PM EDT (US)     6 / 32  
Goodfella - Day 3

Turn sent

posted 10-11-09 01:35 AM EDT (US)     7 / 32  
Turn sent.

posted 10-11-09 02:33 AM EDT (US)     8 / 32  
Goodfella - Day 4

Turn sent

posted 10-11-09 04:41 PM EDT (US)     9 / 32  
Goodfella - Day 5

The past few days have not been as fruitful as I expected and I am coming to the conclusion that my initial guess on Blackheart's strategy was way off the mark.

Turn sent

posted 10-11-09 06:15 PM EDT (US)     10 / 32  
Goodfella - Day 6

A couple of battles were too close for comfort. We secured enough money to hire another hero today. There is a serious lack of swimming units on my side and the efreet spell has not yet appeared in my research book.
Looks like this is going to be a long battle, mostly on the defensive.

Turn sent

posted 10-11-09 09:30 PM EDT (US)     11 / 32  
Goodfella - Day 7

The (bad) luck in battles is continuing. A single spear throw killed my pixie and a couple of orc archers proved eerily accurate in taking down 2 of my wounded veterans while my hero failed to seduce their accompanying cavalry. All in all, a bad day....the only redeeming feature being that we took a village from Blackheart.

Turn sent

posted 10-12-09 11:14 PM EDT (US)     12 / 32  
We lost a farm, a village and the two guards in it. Soon, a node will follow. Our scouting Swashie decide to walk past the conquered, but now unoccupied village - instead of retaking it - to go for a swim in the ocean. I think I'll keelhaul him a couple times, very slowly, to see if he still likes the water that much.

Alas, at least we sank the Elven ship and the enemy troops on it.

ts

posted 10-13-09 02:30 AM EDT (US)     13 / 32  
Goodfella - Day 8

We knew the Elven ranger's days were numbered but to die so quickly when I had such grand plans for him, that is a terrible blow indeed. It would appear that the Elvenship's famed speed is negated by the dark magic of Explorer skill that Blackheart commands.
To be on an even keel, a term I am sure he will understand, we are Explorers too.

Turn sent

posted 10-13-09 11:32 AM EDT (US)     14 / 32  
I'm sure there's much 'sploring to be done in the Void...

posted 10-13-09 07:13 PM EDT (US)     15 / 32  
Goodfella - Day 9

I'll devise a way using my magic expertise to communicate from the Void; that way Blackheart can let me know all he finds out exploring there. I just hope I don't have to visit the Void to test the new 'way'

Turn sent

posted 10-13-09 07:49 PM EDT (US)     16 / 32  
ts

posted 10-13-09 10:20 PM EDT (US)     17 / 32  
Turn sent

posted 10-13-09 10:24 PM EDT (US)     18 / 32  
I feel much safer now...

posted 10-13-09 11:45 PM EDT (US)     19 / 32  
Goodfella - Day 11

With the loss of Dahl's March and the income structures on that island, money is becoming very tight. We need to find a way to find Blackheart's plans as he seems to be everywhere at once.

Turn sent

posted 10-14-09 09:54 PM EDT (US)     20 / 32  
Cruisin'...

posted 10-14-09 11:09 PM EDT (US)     21 / 32  
Goodfella - Day 12

We decided to fight back.
Dahl's March, Gypsy Point and three watermills in the north were taken from Blackheart. His domain is quite near Gypsy Point though, so it might prove to be an eventful night.

Turn sent

posted 10-15-09 09:25 PM EDT (US)     22 / 32  
I guess I should have checked if this was a map by GM. I missed a cave entrance on his "River" map, too...

posted 10-15-09 11:20 PM EDT (US)     23 / 32  
Goodfella - Day 13

Cementing our position on the surface.

Turn sent

The fact that you didn't know about the cave explains a lot of things in that area. I'm sorry you didn't know abt that
Still, the northern invasion must have been unexpected too, I think.
Edit: This map was by KD but he did say he was inspired by GM, so I guess GM is still to blame

[This message has been edited by Timelord (edited 10-15-2009 @ 11:26 PM).]

posted 10-16-09 12:14 PM EDT (US)     24 / 32  
Lol! No respect I say, no respect!

OFFICIAL PASSWORD KEEPER - email me! aowsm.pass@gmail.com

GMMod for AoW2
'a River Ran Through It' aow2 map 'the Charm'(SM edition)
posted 10-16-09 08:53 PM EDT (US)     25 / 32  
LOL! Died attacking some DEs...

posted 10-16-09 08:59 PM EDT (US)     26 / 32  
That was anti-climactic

GG, ZE!

posted 10-16-09 09:44 PM EDT (US)     27 / 32  
Wow, ladies and gentlemen, TNS live from the scene where ZombieEater lost his match to Timelord. This could be the most anticlimactic ending to one of the most eagerly awaited games!

ZombieEater, how could this have happened, exactly?

And Timelord, it seemed you were just emerging from a tricky position. Are you relieved? What did you have in store for our opponent?

My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 10-16-09 10:20 PM EDT (US)     28 / 32  
I agree this was not what I wanted - 2 forfeits in round 1 and an indie killing in round 2 doesn't give me the practice I thought I would have.

Anyway, most of the turn logs in this game were meant to mislead - at least, that was the intention. I don't know whether ZE paid any attention to them though

As for this game, I had all the cities in the underground except for the halfling village by day 8. Below is a screenshot at the end of day 8

The boat with 6 occupants on the western water cave had a vision 3 thunderbird which helped my units stay out of Blackheart's vision range.
In 2 turns, I conquered the dragons' nest, dominating the 2 flyers there and recruiting a green wyvern which went up to the surface to start capturing structures.

The last turn...
I had about 2 stacks on the Gypsy Point with 2 very strong heroes. My galley was heading south with 2 crocs and a thunderbird to meet up with my concealed centaur, prowler and panther to move to the Tigran island.
I also saw a trail of darkness moving to the eastern water cave so I moved all my units there to the Draco village - 2 stegadon riders, veteran chieftain, fire elemental, veteran scout, 2 shamans, 1 veteran sharpshooter.
I also had a water concealed slither in position to take South Cove the next turn.
The best part though (IMO) was I had a stack of 2 doombats, 4 gargoyles and a dragon turtle ready to remove the remaining wyrm in the central water cave and head to the surface with some surface units.
The next best part was I had just got a black dragon and would have got another dragon in 2 turns. The conqering army in that area (spiders, satyrs, healer, veterans) were heading to the surface to recruit/dominate the pitguard and what else they could lay their hands on

As I told Enginerd over email, the draco slither appeared better than the goblin balloon so I decided very early on to migrate the goblins to dracos and with the 2 other draco towns, I was able to negate the event-driven hatred for Dracos and get myself to a neutral status - which helped a lot with the dragon and the dominated/recruited flyers.

Still, I was playing cautious because I knew ZE was a pro too and a single big battle loss could tilt the game towards the winner
I still don't understand why all the prod resources were left unconquered on the surface. Dahl's team conquered about 4 prod resources which gave me a couple of lvl3 buildings I could sell for some much-needed cash.

posted 10-16-09 10:27 PM EDT (US)     29 / 32  
Err sorry to post here and sorry for the lack of knowledge, but what are DEs?...

Congratulations to Timelord. Better luck next tournament ZombieEater, hope to see you more frequently in the Forum now!
posted 10-16-09 10:30 PM EDT (US)     30 / 32  
Dark Elves

posted 10-17-09 00:25 AM EDT (US)     31 / 32  
Great image & strategy, congrats! And sorry to see you go this way, ZombieEater. I was really looking forward to this one.

posted 10-17-09 02:22 PM EDT (US)     32 / 32  
I had the surface cleaned up, though I didn't have a lot of lvl3's. I could have Seduced a Giant and 2 Pit Guards. Dominate would have allowed me to grab a few more, but access to flying units was limited.

I didn't test play the map, so I probably missed a few opportunities (and that cave entrance in the east...).

I was trying to grab a ProdRes from some DE (Dark Elves) and drew some very bad luck.

Not sure if I could have matched the forces that TL is describing in any case. Maybe BH has to grab all his initial troops and rush the underground before round 10.

Great game, TL. Congrats on the deserved win!

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs) » 09Round2 Game48 BH&GF's War (ZombieEater - Timelord)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames