AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs)
Moderated by Timelord, Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: WL Goldrush mountains
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 04-05-03 07:12 PM EDT (US)   
The game has been started. Four Tigran leaders on their quest for gold and power. Map is the Goldrush mountain tournament map.

Registered WL game #92

TeamA: Seti - Greywind: greywind@gmx.at
TeamB: Amon - JWorth: jay at immaterial dot net
TeamA: Ofir - Montys Monkey: montbach@msn.com
TeamB:Setau - Fubarno: Rutbeer@earthlink.net

Have fun

Edit: Restarted the map with alliances set and players changed.

Chaos is ever-present, unavoidable, even necessary. Chaos is the way of time, the way of nature, the way of unthinking animals. Chaos will happen. But sentient, thinking beings do not need to help it along. Law is the effort of the civilized to slow chaos, to keep destruction at bay long enough so that thinking, dreaming, hoping, and loving can occur.

[This message has been edited by greywind (edited 04-16-2003 @ 02:04 AM).]

Replies:
posted 04-05-03 07:12 PM EDT (US)     1 / 114  
Seti day 1

We're off!

TS

Chaos is ever-present, unavoidable, even necessary. Chaos is the way of time, the way of nature, the way of unthinking animals. Chaos will happen. But sentient, thinking beings do not need to help it along. Law is the effort of the civilized to slow chaos, to keep destruction at bay long enough so that thinking, dreaming, hoping, and loving can occur.
posted 04-06-03 05:05 AM EDT (US)     2 / 114  
Goldrush, is that a nice map?

- Final Bolt

posted 04-06-03 03:14 PM EDT (US)     3 / 114  
Amon, turn 1.

Exploration commences. Turn sent.

A game-rule question: are we playing with a ban on call-hero (not an issue for me right now , I'm just wondering).

JWorth

ps -- Greywind, could you edit your original message so my e-mail appears in the "jay at immaterial dot net" format? I've been kind of obsessive about keeping that address from appearing on any public boards, and it seems to be making a huge difference in the volume of spam it gets. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 04-06-2003 @ 03:17 PM).]

posted 04-06-03 05:47 PM EDT (US)     4 / 114  
Updated

Since this is a tournament map, I don't believe that there are any heroes placed on the map that may unbalance the game if you call them. But I haven't looked at the map.
The etiquette puts it into optional rules. I assume it's OK if you want to use it...

@Final Bolt: Haven't played the map yet

posted 04-06-03 07:22 PM EDT (US)     5 / 114  
Tigran - T1

Scouted, using my nearby watch tower. Moving out for richer pastures.

posted 04-06-03 07:31 PM EDT (US)     6 / 114  
A question on the mechanics of PBEM. Are neutrals --particularly neutrals set to guard area -- set to move simultaneously (so they will react in real-time to our moves as we make them, and we get to resolve those fights in tactical combat), or do they move as a group at the end of each turn cycle (the classic-turn setting)? If the latter (neutrals all move at the end of each turn cycle), how is combat with them resolved? Does the computer just resolve those combats in fast combat and show us the results when our moves begin, or is it something different?

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 04-06-2003 @ 07:34 PM).]

posted 04-07-03 00:44 AM EDT (US)     7 / 114  
The computer resolves it in Fast combat, from what I've seen, even if you have the turn where they calculate the independents.
posted 04-07-03 03:08 AM EDT (US)     8 / 114  
Setau - Day 1

My cat people yowl and mew for conquest so I send them out to explore the vast land and capture the riches that are spoken of in legend.

posted 04-07-03 03:13 AM EDT (US)     9 / 114  
The only way to use tactical combat (and thus train your hero ) in PBEM games is to attack indies. Everything else is FC.

Seti day 1

A drakonian city joined our cause.

[This message has been edited by greywind (edited 04-07-2003 @ 06:23 AM).]

posted 04-07-03 09:43 AM EDT (US)     10 / 114  
Amon, turn 2.

I send thanks to Greywind for updating his post, and for the tactical info. Now, where's your stronghold, so I can thank you personally?

Perhaps Seti's Draconians joined him peacefully? Our own new, decidedly smellier and less noble, subjects join only after a fight. Between that battle and a struggle at some old ruins, our feline troops have some wounds to lick. Fortunately, they're good at it . Something tells me they'll get lots of practice before the campaign is done.

Turn sent.

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 04-07-2003 @ 03:00 PM).]

posted 04-07-03 12:08 PM EDT (US)     11 / 114  
A new city has joined our cause, although they did not submit easily. Several of my troops must clean and bandage their wounds, as they head next to Ancient Ruins. I would like to migrate the worthless city, but I fear I don't have the troops to spare just yet.

Restart generated from using g/fs computer. I do this from time to time as only my computer is hooked into the internet (1 LAN jack only).

posted 04-08-03 02:06 AM EDT (US)     12 / 114  
Setau - Day 2

2 victories and a retreat. You know what they say - curiosity killed the cat. Well this time it almost did but a narrow escape was made with some singed fur and wounds, but no loss.

posted 04-08-03 03:45 AM EDT (US)     13 / 114  
Seti day 3

OUCH! Those ancient ruins did more harm than they were useful

Restart probably because I cleaned up my computer and may have deleted some important files.
Sorry.

[This message has been edited by greywind (edited 04-08-2003 @ 03:46 AM).]

posted 04-08-03 03:29 PM EDT (US)     14 / 114  
Amon, turn 3:

There has to be somebody else out there in the desert...

Turn Sent.

Sorry about the restart -- I hit the "end turn" button prematurely, so when I was given the option to "save/cancel", I chose cancel, assuming that it would return me to my turn. Instead, it dropped me out of the game completely, and I had to replay the turn from the beginning. Nothing of note had happened, so hopefully it's not a problem.

posted 04-10-03 05:51 AM EDT (US)     15 / 114  
Amon, turn 4.

There you are...

Turn sent.

edit: I'd just stopped in to tell you just that, Stratovarius -- I've deleted it unopened.

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 04-10-2003 @ 12:18 PM).]

posted 04-10-03 10:10 AM EDT (US)     16 / 114  
Turn Played -
Took that Orc city from the vile Setau, and cleaned out my ruin. I did loose 2 troops, but over all, worth it.

Edit: JWorth, I sent you an email by accident, please just delete it

posted 04-10-03 12:46 PM EDT (US)     17 / 114  
Stratovarius,

Just went into the wrong Goldrush thread by accident -- are you playing from the same start position in the other Goldrush game? How much of a scouting advantage does playing from another location provide -- I'm wondering if the rest of us should go take a peek at the initial map, or are we still playing this one blind?

Not a problem, I just don't want to be the only one in this game who doesn't know what the map looks like .

-- JWorth

posted 04-10-03 12:48 PM EDT (US)     18 / 114  
I'm playing from my allies start position, actually. That game hasn't yet started.
posted 04-11-03 11:34 AM EDT (US)     19 / 114  
Problem guys. Here is the email I sent to Stratavarious -

"This turn that you sent is turn zero and when I opened it it sent me to the startup screen. I sent you the file back but don't put it in your save directory until you change the name on it or it might overwrite the correct file if you still have it. I sent it back so you could see what I meant. Do you use autosend or manual? Try to send me the correct file if you have it. Otherwise we are stuck for the moment.

You will have to replay your turn and resend to me."

I await the turn to be resent and until then we are on hold.

posted 04-11-03 11:52 AM EDT (US)     20 / 114  
I send manual, email resent.
posted 04-11-03 11:20 PM EDT (US)     21 / 114  
You guys skipped my turn three.

I just recieved turn four but I didn't get to play turn three.

Wierd things are hapening. (See my last post.) Lots of restarts in a WL game. Almost every turn. Yes, I see they were explained for turn three, but I remeber there being restarts in the first and second turns too. It shouldn't be so frequent.

I can't send my turn two to Greywind to replay as it has been copied over twice now.

Stratovariuos has sent me the wrong turn twice now. Any explanation?

I sugest players use the auto send feature. It works very well.

Any one have a suggestion?

posted 04-11-03 11:47 PM EDT (US)     22 / 114  
Lemme try again. This should really work.

Having looked, the screw up is very likely my end from sending the wrong GMountain game.

[This message has been edited by Stratovarius (edited 04-11-2003 @ 11:48 PM).]

posted 04-12-03 00:01 AM EDT (US)     23 / 114  
Still turn 4
posted 04-12-03 00:57 AM EDT (US)     24 / 114  
Still turn 4 again. What now guys?
posted 04-12-03 01:24 AM EDT (US)     25 / 114  
If Stratovarius doesn't have a turn 3 anymore, I could replay my turn 3 (which shouldn't be a big deal -- I already lost it once and had to replay, and it was only troops marching around, no fighting), and send the result to Stratovarius, which should get us back on track, with Fubarno playing his turn 3. How did we skip Fubarno's turn 3 in the first place?

This would mean that Seti and I would have to replay our turn 4's also, but I'm fine with that, as it seems that they were out of order in the first place.

Shall I resend turn 3 to Stratovarius?

-- JWorth

ps -- I agree with Fubarno; lets all at least acknowledge any restarts in this thread.

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 04-12-2003 @ 01:27 AM).]

posted 04-12-03 01:34 AM EDT (US)     26 / 114  
Turn 4? I haven't played turn 4 yet.
I think the best is if JWorth resends his turn to Stratovarius, who can play it again then.
And it is 'good PBEM etiquette' to explain every restart you have, especially in WL games!

This sounds all very confusing. I didn't encounter that in any games before. I could think about a reason why Fubarno gets a 'Turn 0' game, but not a 'Turn 4' without somebody taking advantage of the situation...

[This message has been edited by greywind (edited 04-12-2003 @ 01:40 AM).]

posted 04-12-03 01:49 AM EDT (US)     27 / 114  
Strange, I'm looking at my emailin directory right now, and I see that I've received four Goldrush files. That suggests that I've played four turns, doesn't it? I'm going to open up the most recent one again and check its turn number, so I'll probably generate a restart.

Yup, I've played turn 4 already, and I think that you have also, Greywind. The e-mail I received from you with the move has this header info:

Age of Wonders II E-Mail-Spiel
> --------------------------------------------------------
> Name: WL Goldrush mountains
> Karte: Goldrush Mountains
> Runde: 4

So, shall I go replay turn 3, then pass it along to Stratovarius?

-- Jay

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 04-12-2003 @ 01:55 AM).]

posted 04-12-03 02:25 AM EDT (US)     28 / 114  
The latest email (and only 1 I have, damn hotmail size restrictions) is turn 4 as well. If we skipped Fubarno, we all managed to do it?

I think many of the restarts have been caused by all the wrong files flying around and so on.

posted 04-12-03 02:44 AM EDT (US)     29 / 114  
Hmmm, did I forget to log the turn? Might actually be. Yeah, now I remember, I played turn 4 as well already.
That means we ARE at turn four now (I checked my email now, too). I'm sorry, I got a bit confused.

But then Fubarno would be the last one to play turn 4 and everything would be OK.
Fubarno, are you saying you haven't played turn three yet?

Else I suggest that you just play the turn 4 you got from Stratovarius.

And to draw one conclusion out of this would be: Log every turn, even just with a ts (turn sent)

[This message has been edited by greywind (edited 04-12-2003 @ 02:47 AM).]

posted 04-12-03 01:49 PM EDT (US)     30 / 114  
Just to recap, and to make sure that we're all on the same page:

Fubarno somehow got skipped on turn 3. If Fubarno confirms that, I need to resend turn 3 to Stratovarius, who doesn't have it anymore, and we'll be back on track. Give me a thumbs up and I'll proceed.

-- JWorth

posted 04-12-03 02:08 PM EDT (US)     31 / 114  
No I didn't get to play turn 3. When I got the turn four it said I had a restart on turn 3. The events from turn three are still accessible by scrolling up on the events screen in lower left and I watched them. I hadn't seen them before. A unit that takes two turns to construct that I had started on turn two was finished and another unit, a hunter, had been moved but not by me. Another stack I had was also moved. All very odd!

Maybe my turn was sent to some one else, manually, by accident and they sent it on with auto-send. I don't know. It is all pretty wierd. All the messages were in German too.

Anyway, I replayed my turn two and sent it on to greywind. That way we have all replayed a turn. Let's get this game going again.

I'll have a restart because I replayed my turn. Everyone make sure they are sending the right turn to the right player.

posted 04-12-03 03:00 PM EDT (US)     32 / 114  
OK, I think I got it now.
The last game was sent to me by horza666, who plays in the Goldrush mountains game by WitchKing.
Stratovarius, you are in both of them and sending your turns manually, right?
As fate would have it, horza666 plays right after Stratovarius in that game and it just has started as well.
That explains, why Fubarno got jumped over.

Anyway, I will play turn 3 now and send it to JWorth, just that we get started again.

I can just repeat what Fubarno said. If you send manually, keep track what you send to who. That's why I like to keep a header with the email addresses in the turn email.

Seti turn 3

TS

[This message has been edited by greywind (edited 04-12-2003 @ 03:13 PM).]

posted 04-12-03 04:16 PM EDT (US)     33 / 114  
It's deja vu, all over again.

Turn sent.

posted 04-12-03 04:52 PM EDT (US)     34 / 114  
Well, this doesnt look good. Total change from whats happened last time round basically puts me in a much worse position.
posted 04-12-03 08:15 PM EDT (US)     35 / 114  
How could that be? Is it not your same turn three, replayed now maybe three times? Are you complaining? What other choice do we have to get this game rolling again?

You sent my turn to some other player, then you sent me the setup screen, then you sent me the wrong turn over and over again. Then you complain that your situation is not as good as the last couple times?

I'm not understanding how you can throw this gripe out.

I have two words and they are, "auto-send".

posted 04-12-03 11:25 PM EDT (US)     36 / 114  
Thanks to fubarno's attitude, I've decided to withdraw. Thanks all.
posted 04-13-03 01:21 AM EDT (US)     37 / 114  
What Stratovarious calls 'attitude' is merely a statement of the facts that transpired.

I was patient and understanding of the whole boggled situation. It seems the mystery of the mistake was solved. We were rolling again. Then Stratovarious had to complain abount his turn three results. After playing the turn over two or three times and having been the catylist for the delay of the game, the complaining just sounded ill concieved. It struck a nerve and deserved to be addressed.

I guess my post struck a nerve in Stratovarious too. Normally I am the paragon of civility but I didn't feel any sympathy for Stratovarious' "much worse position". His griping deserved addressing and I guess I could have anticipated the end result.

Sorry to have assasinated this game.

posted 04-13-03 01:43 AM EDT (US)     38 / 114  
Not your fault, Fubarno.
posted 04-13-03 02:06 AM EDT (US)     39 / 114  
Please, calm down everyone.
What Stratovarius did was a mistake everybody could have made. I also send my turns manually because I'm usually not connected all the time. And getting mixed up with two games of the same name is just too easy! And since we didn't figure out what exactly happened, the confusion stopped the game. I, for example, could have noticed earlier that the game file wasn't sent to me by Fubarno the last time!
And what made you so sure that Stratovarius replayed the turn at least three times? After Stratovarius sent the turn to horza666, me, JWorth and SV played our turn four without realising what happened until Fubarno said he hadn't even played turn three.
However, usually if you replay a turn with all the circumstances exactly the same, the combat results stay the same, too. That's in the game mechanics.

So, please, be friendly to each other and if SV still doesn't want to play because of the possible mixup with the other game then I understand that. But there's no point accusing each other for things that were not meant that way!

Edit: And if you have to flame each other, please do so on the battlefield

[This message has been edited by greywind (edited 04-13-2003 @ 03:45 AM).]

posted 04-14-03 03:30 AM EDT (US)     40 / 114  
I guess we're looking for a substitute now.

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs) » WL Goldrush mountains
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames