You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs)
Moderated by Timelord, Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: WL Rematch, Danny's Sock-v2 (Dafyth, JWorth)
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 04-18-03 12:34 PM EDT (US)   
WL Rematch, Danny's Sock-v2

Map: Danny's Sock Tournament version

Serena - Elves - Dafyth -- dwcarless@hotmail.com
Arachna - Dark Elves - JWorth -- jay at immaterial dot net

House rules, played blind, call hero banned.

The Game Begins . . .

Replies:
posted 04-18-03 12:58 PM EDT (US)     1 / 100  
Serena - Elves - Day1

I appears that I have been summoned from the Void to a land that has need of me. My capital is well garrisoned with swift and faithful Elven troops -- not far away a Dwarven settlement flies my banner as well. With all of the forests and mountains that I behold these troops will fare quite well.

My Elves are built for speed, and already a watchtower, mine, and Water node fall to my forces. A Goblin outpost is also immediately identified, and it will be dealt with post haste.

The slow but sturdy Dwarves are the perfect compliment for my Elves. They head for the mountains and look for caves and will scout where no other races dare tread. We shall see if there are any otheres that would contest our presence in the fledging kingdom.

TS

[This message has been edited by Dafyth (edited 04-18-2003 @ 01:27 PM).]

posted 04-18-03 03:52 PM EDT (US)     2 / 100  
Dark Elves, turn 1.

Ach...I have drunk too much of my palace seer's special brew, again. I have just drifted off into a most distasteful dream... I inhabited the body of that foul elf, Serena -- I can hardly bear the memory...

I look around me, and my bladedancers and executioners stand to attention, awaiting my orders. Good. All is as it should be, and soon there shall be no more Serena in this land to trouble my thoughts. First, we must find her...

Turn sent.

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 04-18-2003 @ 03:52 PM).]

posted 04-18-03 04:09 PM EDT (US)     3 / 100  
Serena - Elves - Day2

There isn't much more in the area, so my forces expand the search outward looking for friends or foes. The area seems quiet and peaceful, but I have been brought here for a reason. My forces maintain their guard as I attempt to solve the mysteries of this place.

TS

posted 04-18-03 10:15 PM EDT (US)     4 / 100  
Arachne, turn 2.

We will bend the people of this land to our will, starting with some wretched halflings we've spotted on the shores of the lake. Elsewhere, my troops are busy securing resources and marching forth to find our enemy...

Turn sent.

posted 04-18-03 10:57 PM EDT (US)     5 / 100  
Serena - Elves - Day3

My dwarves march along, as fast as their stubby legs will carry them. No adventures for them as yet, but they should find something soon.
My Elves fly along, and close in on the Goblin settlement. Soon the tortured souls of those poor creatures will be put to rest, and the site will be reborn with seeds of light. Another settlement is spotted in the distance, and it appears to be Human. The race of man has always been the wildcard in recent Elven history. I wonder what part they will play now, and who the other player or players are? My seers indicate that I shall find out in the not so distant future.

TS, switched to home computer and it generated a restart.

posted 04-19-03 01:12 AM EDT (US)     6 / 100  
Arachne, Day 3.

Blast! Those halflings put up quite a fight...we shall honor them by sewing every last one of the vermin into sacks and tossing them into the lake, before we set their homes afire to make room for more suitable dwellings.

Elsewhere, exploration continues.

Turn sent.

posted 04-19-03 02:09 PM EDT (US)     7 / 100  
Serena - Elves - Day4

Why is it that Humans are always in the middle of trouble, even when it is not of their making? They would not commit to the light, and thus I had to force the issue 'ere darkness could ill use them. By not committing to either Light or Darkness, they have committed to the enmity of both.

On the other side of the icy river I now see my reason for being here. It appears that Arachna is in the area, no doubt committed to total world domination. Though it pains me to have to fight those twisted souls, I will do what is necessary to protect this land. It is obvious now that the need of the land is what brought me here.

The goblin blight has been removed from the area, and Elves are migrating in to restore the settlement and the fields around it.

The Dwarves continue to trudge along.

TS, switched to work computer and it generated a restart.

posted 04-19-03 03:42 PM EDT (US)     8 / 100  
Arachne, day 4.

It is just as I foresaw in my dream...armies marching back and forth across Sock Glacier, endlessly fighting the same battles over and over, with but small variation in the result...

We'll see if there's another way.

Elsewhere, exploration continues.

Turn sent.

-- JWorth

posted 04-19-03 04:05 PM EDT (US)     9 / 100  
Serena - Elves - Day5

Hmmmm, Arachna's forces have strayed from the Human village. I fear for the inhabitants of the cave where her troops are lurking about.

It is almost painful to watch the progress of my Dwarven followers. Actually, make that lack of progress. I had forgoten how slooooow my large-hearted but small-limbed friends could be. I don't know wether to laugh or weep.

TS

posted 04-19-03 08:57 PM EDT (US)     10 / 100  
Arachne, day 5.

Well, for all that Serena complains about the speed of her Dwarven so-called friends (has she forgotten that a bauble is all that's required to shake the loyalty of the bearded stumplings?), her northern forces have moved with impressive speed. Shall they dare to follow us?

Short updates from me until I've got my computer issues sorted out...can't seem to stay online for more than a few minutes at a time . If I miss posting some logs, my apologies in advance.

Turn sent.

Restart due to system lockup. Sorry (just marching around in my turn).

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 04-19-2003 @ 08:59 PM).]

posted 04-20-03 00:06 AM EDT (US)     11 / 100  
Serena - Elves - Day6

Arachna's forces decended into the dark abyss -- I trust that it is actually the lair of several bone dragons! If it is not, then I fear that my troops may have follow and extract them by force. Should they find another way out then all coiuld be lost.

But today the Dark Elves gain a reprieve as Elme found the campsite of some rouge lizard-like creatures. Her offer of friendship was met with uncalled for violence, and she and her retinue were forced to defend themselves. After the scuffle subsided she found a shiny helmet of some defensive power, and it sets off the color of her eyes and hair quite well.

After days of nothing, my Dwarves finally find a plethora of interesting things! It will take some deliberation to decide what to pursue first -- will it be business or pleasure? Sometimes it is hard to tell the difference.

TS, switched to home computer and it generated a restart

posted 04-20-03 04:27 AM EDT (US)     12 / 100  
Arachne, turn 6.

Interesting developments. Contact in the south -- who knows how things will develop down there. I trust Serena's dwarves will be pleased with their welcome.

In the north, secret things are going on. These caves are absolutely fascinating...

-- Jay

Turn sent.

posted 04-20-03 10:07 AM EDT (US)     13 / 100  
Serena - Elves - Day7

The lack of Dwarven speed has indeed turned into a tactical liability -- they have arrived one day too late to save the Human village in the swamp. they could only watch helplessly as the Humans were senselessly slaughtered without putting up much resistance.

What the Dwarves lack in speed, however, they make up for with momentum. My Halfling champion found a few more of the mountain men at the edge of a campsite, and he has convinved them to join the cause. Perhaps the Human village can be saved after all.

The North is fairly well consolidated -- Dwarves and Human loyalists hold the village and freeing up the Elves as they prepare to move out. Things are about to get very interesting.

TS

posted 04-20-03 01:30 PM EDT (US)     14 / 100  
Arachne, Turn 7.

In the south, the situation for the moment looks like a standoff, due to the wretched pack of dwarves which joined Serena's army at our point of confrontation.

In the north, things look complicated... the next few days will be very interesting.

Turn sent.

posted 04-20-03 02:11 PM EDT (US)     15 / 100  
Serena - Elves - Day8

The Elves are on the move -- the army has consolidated and is ready to strike. The Humans and Dwarves are up to the task repelling any possible secondary invasion on the glacier -- but I have good reason to believe that this isn't a concern anyway.

It seems that dark reinforcements are headed South into the swamp instead. My Dwarves there were a bit strung out with mobility issues in the confining swamps, but they have consolidated their forces now as well. I am confident that their forces are sufficient to liberate the Human village. If Arachna tries to hold the South with reinforcements then I shall have my way in the North.

The die has been cast -- only time and the gods can say how the toss will turn out.

TS

posted 04-20-03 04:18 PM EDT (US)     16 / 100  
Hah, a miracle, a last try and I make it here...

Arachne, turn 8.
So, the lines are drawn. Perhaps my carefully trained slave army shall have a chance to prove its worth in battle? I order my generals to announce that the families of the slain shall be given their freedom, and a great shout (of tiny voices) erupts... Little do they know that I have no intention of honoring my promise.

Meanwhile, in the south, we risk a brief excursion to some nearby ruins, and, at the price of a few bumps and scrapes, we retrieve a great pile of gold and an utterly useless magic artifact. Ah well, I couldn't take the risk that my rival would find something useful there, and I think gold may prove vital before this drawn out struggle is over.

I order my seers to their scrying charms to seek a way past this deadlock.

Turn sent.

-- JWorth

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 04-20-2003 @ 10:29 PM).]

posted 04-20-03 05:24 PM EDT (US)     17 / 100  
Serena - Elves - Day9

The bloodbath was horrific, and the tragedy is that nothing was clarified.

In the South, the Dwarves despaired of the swamp, and decided that they'd rather die than continue to wait. And die they did. Heroes and commoners alike were slaughtered, until only one spider queen remained against three Dwarven warriors. But with the last of her strength she slew the remnants of my brave attackers.

In the North it was basically the same story. The defenders found a clever chokepoint that prevented my entire Elven force from attacking. So I sent the eight strongest and bravest volunteers to liberate the Halfling settlement. In the end my lone Iron Maiden stood against three of the strongest dark defenders. Though nearly depleted, she slew them all and set the captive Halflings free. They have raised my banner and joined my cause in appreciation of our heroes' great sacrifices.

The North remains in my control -- the South is still Arachna's. The balance rests on a razor's edge, and chance may indeed decide the fate of this land.

TS

posted 04-20-03 10:17 PM EDT (US)     18 / 100  
Arachne, turn 9.

What carnage. This makes the battles I remembered from past, dreamed struggles in this land look like mere skirmishes. 32 brave regiments of soldiers and four heros lie dead. At this rate, there won't be anyone left here to serve as my slaves once Serena is overthrown.

I order my seers tortured for failing to foresee this slaughter. In future, their screams shall guide me to victory, as their predictions proved worthless....

In the south, we move to consolidate our gains, while in the north we gather an army to face the onslaught we now expect from Serena. In the squares of all of our towns, notices are posted -- "Hero wanted. Competitive wages -- Cash Paid Up Front". Let's hope that some wandering soldier of fortune hears our call.

Turn sent.

-- JWorth

posted 04-21-03 05:40 AM EDT (US)     19 / 100  
Serena - Elves - Day10

On a day like today there is not much to do except to begin rebuilding the army and to scrape together what remains into some sort of cohesive force. Both tasks are in progress.

After the death of so many champions in these battles, I'm not sure that I'd trust anyone insane enough to join what amounts to be a suicide mission! But as long as they know in advance the dangers that they face, I will accept any that vounteer for my cause

TS

posted 04-21-03 01:02 PM EDT (US)     20 / 100  
Dark Elves, turn 10.

All quiet on the western front. Frantic recruiting continues apace -- for the moment, our mutual inability to cast spells beyond our borders gives the game a defensive flavor, but I cannot count on this state of affairs persisting indefinitely.

We offer a bounty of one hundred pieces of gold for the head of Serena's infernal iron maiden.

Turn sent.

Restart -- cable guy arrived with a new modem during the middle of my turn.

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 04-21-2003 @ 01:23 PM).]

posted 04-21-03 02:43 PM EDT (US)     21 / 100  
Serena - Elves - Day11

Another slow day of army building, and some meager troop repositioning. I dream of fairy dragons swarming the countryside, but I awake and hire axeman and slingers instead. Yet I know that it will come down to these lower but courageous fighters at the end.

TS, game restart message for no known reason :shrug:

posted 04-21-03 03:35 PM EDT (US)     22 / 100  
Dark Elves, turn 11.

Things are quiet. Too quiet. I'd guess this portends some mighty clash in the near future.

Perhaps I'll haul one of my seers down off the rack and ask.

Turn sent.

posted 04-21-03 04:00 PM EDT (US)     23 / 100  
Serena - Elves - Day12

It appears that the Northland is eerily desereted. My scouts spy an abondoned mine; I may have to liberate that if for no other reason than to take away Arachna's eyes and eyes from the area.

An air node has been recovered, and is placed in the Halfling's care. In their gratitude they repeatedly assure my Elven representive that their village is fully capable of acquiring Leprechauns -- they just need the proper buildings. He just smiles and pats the Halfling representive gently on the head.

I am mounting a second expedition to the Southern Front. For some odd reason the Dwarven volunteers only trickle in one by one. Hmmm, I guess bad news travels fast. I'll have to bolster their confidence with Elven regulars.

TS

posted 04-21-03 05:39 PM EDT (US)     24 / 100  
Dark Elves, turn 12.

That accursed Iron Maiden is wandering around on the glacier again. Have to keep an eye on her -- I'll make her pay twice-fold for the massacre she inflicted upon my forces at frostshire deep, before this fight is done.

What's this? Word is that Serena's mounting a new swamp mucking expedition? I've never put much stock in rumors; still, can't hurt to pour more poison in the local wells...

Turn sent.

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 04-21-2003 @ 05:41 PM).]

posted 04-21-03 09:00 PM EDT (US)     25 / 100  
Serena - Elves - Day13

The mine in the North was restored to its rightful owner, and coalition forces of Dwarves, Humans and Elves sweep the area looking for any activity.

In the South the Dwarves are trudging again. In leiu of accomplishments I'll simply keep them busy marching, and keep their minds off of the last expedition.

TS, game restart message *again*

posted 04-21-03 11:24 PM EDT (US)     26 / 100  
Dark Elves, turn 13.

Is that what a "coalition force" looks like? I'd wondered. There certainly are a lot of them...if they're marching in my direction, I fear that I'm going to be outnumbered in the decisive battle to come -- I guess we'll see if quality wins out over quantity (I say sneeringly, conveniently forgetting about the iron maiden that I'm sure is lurking about somewhere...). I'll pit one dark elf against three dwarves, any day .

In the south, hmm, where are these dwarves I've been hearing so much about? I'm not sure I believe that they're really there...maybe I'll go see for myself. I hear there's a gold mine somewhere on the far side of the swamp that might do nicely as a replacement for the one you recently stole from me.

Turn sent.

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 04-22-2003 @ 00:59 AM).]

posted 04-22-03 00:46 AM EDT (US)     27 / 100  
Serena - Elves - Day14

Operations in the North are getting interesting. An Orc settlement has been sighted and seems only lightly guarded. Arachna's troops are either huddled in her capitol, or are racing South to confront the Dwarven horde trudging that way. Or I suppose they could be laying in wait, in a crafty trap designed to obliterate my troops, but I try to not think about things like that . . .

TS

posted 04-22-03 03:12 AM EDT (US)     28 / 100  
Dark Elves, turn 14.

So, Serena blithely sends her forces into my personal domain? We'll show her what she faces and see if she still has the stomach for a fight. My seers predict that the elven scum will retreat from my borders, but too many of their prophecies have gone unfulfilled for me to pay much heed to their words.

Meanwhile, in the south, we have finally finished securing the treasures in our newly won subterranean province, and an expeditionary force is dispatched through the swamp. If the north is truly deadlocked, this army -- swollen with new allies and led by a spider queen (fully healed and very happy with her shiny new gold medal) -- will be my instrument of victory. Now, where are those dwarves? Still no sign of them...

Turn sent.

posted 04-22-03 10:39 AM EDT (US)     29 / 100  
Serena - Elves - Day15

Hmmm, in the space of a day the Orc settlement has quadrupled its defenses -- no small feat there. Still, my troops have established a forward presence, and reinforcements arrive daily. I'll see if I can't tilt the odds a bit back into my favor.

The spiderqueen may still lurk in the South, But I serious doubt that any scrubs that get scraped together in that swamp can be called an "army". However, that misshapen monstrosity is a force in and of itself, as the first Dwarven Expeditionary force learned to their sorrow. Soon they shall see if Arachna can fortify the South as quickly as the North.

TS

posted 04-22-03 01:03 PM EDT (US)     30 / 100  
Dark Elves, turn 15.

A day of maneuvering, with thunderclouds on the horizon...

In the north, we'll see who can reinforce more quickly. Our army shadows Serena's force as it withdraws (cowards ) -- a piece of free intelligence: our main body is right behind that boar which is tailing you. As always, the invitation to attack remains in effect.

Down south, still no sign of the dwarves...oh, there they are. We decide to stick to the safety of our walls, and give the dwarven skulls that now decorate the main gate a fresh coat of paint. Looks like another siege, reinforce and relief operation is about to develop.

Turn sent.

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 04-22-2003 @ 01:04 PM).]

posted 04-22-03 04:10 PM EDT (US)     31 / 100  
Serena - Elves - Day16

Ah ha! The second Dwarven expeditionary force closes in on the Southern Human village, and no spiderqueen is in sight -- with or without a gold medal. This could be our chance . . .

Though I hate to admit it, Arachna's Northern forces outclass my own. I have ordered my own troops to retreat until I can figure out my next move. Fighting one battle at a time is probably prudent at this juncture.

TS

posted 04-22-03 06:14 PM EDT (US)     32 / 100  
Dark Elves, day 16.

The spider queen is off polishing her baubles -- I've told her quite sternly that she absolutely has to be back in time for the battle . I thank the dwarves for their short legs -- it should be another day before the main dwarven force is ready to try the Bayou's walls once more.

In the north, a disappointment -- I thought that I had finally gathered sufficient strength to force Serena back across the river, when what do I see but that yet another mob of worthless scrubs has hurried forward to join her army. Disgusted (yet slightly cheered by the thought of how much it must be costing Serena to maintain that motley horde of slingers, archers, crossbowmen, and swordsmen -- perhaps her people will rebel against her warmongering ways...), I order my forces to withdraw out of their reach.

Perhaps the lake is the key to breaking this stalemate? Oh, I see that Serena's already thought of that. More reinforcements to order about. Chores, chores... I think I'll go kill a prisoner.

Turn sent.

posted 04-23-03 07:23 PM EDT (US)     33 / 100  
Serena - Elves - Day17

The Tango dance of life and death. The Dwarves step back a bit as they see the Bayou settlement has received adequate reinforcements. Again my short allies are a day late and a gold piece short. 9 vs. 9 are not the odds I was looking for. As they were still a day away, it could have been even worse with other dark forces perhaps on the road. The Dwarves will step forward again when they are stronger.

Which is what my Elves and their coalition partners are doing now, since their dark counterparts are stepping back themselves. One simple mistake now and it will all be over one way or the other.

TS, switched to work computer and it generated a restart.

posted 04-24-03 11:05 AM EDT (US)     34 / 100  
Dark Elves, turn 17.

Hmm...Shades of Cyrenaica... as Serena and I alternate, advancing from and retreating back upon our home bases, neither of us can march quickly enough to arrive at the point of battle with adequate strength to force the issue. I watch her advancing Northern army from my tower, and I am pleased -- if that's the best Serena can muster, than the front is secure, at least for the moment.

In the south, the dwarves have disappeared again -- were they ever there at all? I shall have to question the scouts who reported them personally. And on the lake, my annoyance at the temporary nuisance of the nymphs is matched only by my relief that no druids have been reported among the enemy.

So, for the moment, all seems quiet, and I decide to take a long deferred summer holiday to the fire springs, to meditate upon how to bring this campaign to some decisive resolution. My retainers have observed that the stresses of the past weeks seem to have visibly borne upon me, and a few days there would work wonders.

Turn sent.

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 04-24-2003 @ 11:17 AM).]

posted 04-24-03 04:53 PM EDT (US)     35 / 100  
Serena - Elves - Day18

The Northern and Southern fronts are temporarily stalemated.

Meanwhile I have commenced Navel operation in the river. Yes, that’s not a typo. In lieu of ships of my Nymphs take charge. They already a windmill to the good. They blow kisses to the Abominations on the Orc side, inviting them to come out and play in the lake.
TS

posted 04-24-03 07:51 PM EDT (US)     36 / 100  
Dark Elves, turn 18.

I think your nymphs will much prefer playing with my boars... Will I run out of mana before you run out of gold? Only time will tell.

Elsewhere, the steam baths at the fire springs are a great relief. Runners have been stationed with orders to bring word to me as soon as there are any developments.

Turn sent.

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 04-24-2003 @ 07:52 PM).]

posted 04-25-03 11:50 AM EDT (US)     37 / 100  
Serena - Elves - Day19

More squeezing and maintaining pressure. My unicorns took a quick break to liberate a cosmos node. No losses, and the extra mana is always welcome.

TS

posted 04-25-03 01:22 PM EDT (US)     38 / 100  
Dark Elves, turn 19.

Serena's conquest of that cosmos node across the river is troubling -- now she has eyes which can see clear over the walls of Danny's Bayou. I'll have to be careful not to let myself get taken by surprise down south.

Suddenly, more important matters grab my attention. A runner approaches, announcing that Serena herself seems to be advancing, and that she is but a day's march from being able to extend a protective radiance over her northern army. Though the preparations for my counterattack are still a day or two away from complete, I can't risk any further waiting, and I cut short my vacation at the springs to command this fight myself.

And it is an epic battle -- 19 of my regiments, including the royal horse guard, against 21 of Serena's, led by her accursed Iron Maiden. Thankfully, fortune smiles upon the dark elves this day, and, at the cost of almost two-thirds of my army, Serena's force is completely annhilated. As punishment for her past massacres of my brethren, I order that the maiden be left exposed to the vultures which now throng this bloody glacier.

I wonder if I have sufficient surviving force to properly exploit this victory, or if the result will simply be to push back a few yards the line of equilibrium between our two kingdoms? There's only one way to find out -- I order a general advance.

Turn sent.

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 04-25-2003 @ 06:23 PM).]

posted 04-26-03 00:43 AM EDT (US)     39 / 100  
Serena - Elves – Day20

I stare in shocked horror at the massacre that has taken place. Advantage in defense, advantage in numbers, and my troops take barely half of their total with them to the after life.

Plan A didn’t work very well – time to come up with a plan B.

TS; home PC fixed (harddrive upgraded) but it’s generating restart messages in all of my games tonight (sorry!)

posted 04-26-03 06:09 PM EDT (US)     40 / 100  
Dark elves, turn 20.

Apparently, all the extra money I spent training those lvl 2's (plus a healthy dose of good luck ) paid off. More thoughts on that later -- I'm still getting a handle on cost-effectiveness, though I think that both the orcs and the dark elves are blessed with very useful level 2's. I've already learned more in this game than in the rest of my AOW2 experience put together.

Anyway, not much to report. Took back a mine; advancing to try my luck on the glacier a second time. Scrambling to cover on other fronts.

Turn sent.

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 04-27-2003 @ 12:02 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs) » WL Rematch, Danny's Sock-v2 (Dafyth, JWorth)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames