You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs)
Moderated by Timelord, Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: WL Danny's Sock (Gryning vs. JWorth)
posted 05-24-03 03:56 PM EDT (US)   
Tournament Danny's Sock

Elves: Gryning, markusburman at hotmail.com
Dark Elves: JWorth, jay at immaterial dot net

All house rules in effect.

Replies:
posted 05-24-03 04:47 PM EDT (US)     1 / 36  
Dark Elves, turn 1. (turn 1 received from Elves)

Hmm...this looks familiar. Ah, yes, of course... it's the site of my recent defeats . Lets see if I can't fine tune my approach a little...

Moving out, nothing exciting to report.

Turn sent.

posted 05-25-03 11:48 AM EDT (US)     2 / 36  
Elves, turn 2.

The game have been restarted contact serena :? Did I do something wrong

Two frogs down. Killing frogs feel really good My fast scout picked up some useful gold. I friendly campsite in site. Next turn I will meet my new friends :P

Turn sent

posted 05-25-03 04:45 PM EDT (US)     3 / 36  
Hey Gryning,

Restarts can happen for all sorts of reasons -- from the innocent (playing from a different computer, having a crash mid-turn, etc.) to the not-so-innocent (replaying a turn in order to get better results). If you know why the restart happened, just post a quick explanation, but on turn 2 I wouldn't worry about it .

Didn't get the move from you, though. If you could resend, that would be great.

Thanks,
JWorth

posted 05-25-03 05:09 PM EDT (US)     4 / 36  

Quote:

I friendly campsite in site...

Um, are you playing with the latest patch? I thought that the ability to see the negotiate icon over campsites was removed an upgrade or two ago -- could be wrong about that, but I could swear it was changed. Also lots of other things changed...things won't work very well if we're playing with different versions. Fortunately, we haven't progressed very far -- you can find the 1.2 patch link at the top of the aowh homepage, here: http://www.aow2.heavengames.com

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 05-25-2003 @ 05:10 PM).]

posted 05-25-03 05:58 PM EDT (US)     5 / 36  
Hey friend!

Iīve downloaded the patch and send turn two again. Unfortunatley I have to travel on short notis Nothing I had planned. I will be back on monday the secound of June.

Until then

posted 05-25-03 07:15 PM EDT (US)     6 / 36  
Dark Elves, turn 2.

A few bumps and bruises beating up on the independants , but my mana and gold income are nicely increased as a result.

Otherwise, moving up, setting up for the battles I'm sure are to come within the next few days. Looks like some halflings could be joining my empire tomorrow .

Turn sent.

Restart -- not sure why, perhaps because of the version number issues? Hopefully it'll only matter on the turn with the switch (this one).

posted 06-02-03 04:05 PM EDT (US)     7 / 36  
Turn 3

This is going to be hard. I should maybe reconsider peace as a solution I reinstalled the game before installing the patch so itīs restart every turn now Iīm glad to see that you didnīt bring along your archers I guess they are making trouble for my halfligs brothers down south

turn sent

posted 06-02-03 10:01 PM EDT (US)     8 / 36  
"Hmm...this looks familiar. Ah, yes, of course... it's the site of my recent defeats"

LOL! I'm still having nightmares about this gut-wrenching map, and you've jumped right back in; with dark elves to boot? You are a better man than I, my firend . . .

Sorry to crash the thread -- I hope you both have a great game!

Former PBEM singles champion.
posted 06-03-03 09:47 AM EDT (US)     9 / 36  
Hey Dafyth -- I'm trying an immersion approach to conquering my phobias (plus I think I learned a thing or two in our match)...and please, pull up a chair; feel free to drop in anytime.

Gryning,

I never received turn 3 -- could you resend it?
Thanks.

-- JWorth

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 06-03-2003 @ 03:11 PM).]

posted 06-03-03 01:20 PM EDT (US)     10 / 36  
Dark Elves, turn 3.

Yup, the halflings fell to my southern armies... they'll make a nice (temporary ) addition to the empire.

Up north, storm clouds are brewing on the horizon. The glacier seems to have been the focus of the initial elven rush. I'll defer a decision as to where to concentrate my response for one more day. It'll be interesting to see how the elves react to my advance -- for the moment, at least, the balance of force seems to favor me.

Turn sent.

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 06-03-2003 @ 03:14 PM).]

posted 06-03-03 04:23 PM EDT (US)     11 / 36  
elves turn 4

I couldnīt see the spider queen. I guess she had to go home and take care of her spiderchildren

As you say: you have the odds on your side I just sit in my comfortable FORTIFIED village and wait

Turn sent

posted 06-03-03 04:57 PM EDT (US)     12 / 36  
Dark Elves, day 4.

Yes, well, for fortifications to be really decisive, it helps to have mobs of missile troops behind the walls, and they're even better if your enemy can't kick the gate down...

Rather than let its garrison of crossbowmen grow any stronger, my army storms Sock Glacier while it is still relatively weakly defended. With the help of a somewhat lucky entangling on round 1 of Serena's hero, the battle goes quite well for us -- an archer, executioner and abomination in trade for a crossbowman, two scouts, the iron maiden and the elven hero. The northern balance of forces fairly decisively favors the dark now -- my hero and spider queen are mostly unscathed, so tomorrow should bring a happy banquet of exploitation options to choose from.

Turn sent.

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 06-03-2003 @ 05:30 PM).]

posted 06-04-03 04:54 AM EDT (US)     13 / 36  
elves turn 5

There goes the eastfront I should have razed the village and escaped. I really liked Elme God luck exploring my lands Iīm sure you give them back to me when you find out is just boring ice and very very cold

Turn sent

posted 06-04-03 10:36 AM EDT (US)     14 / 36  
Dark Elves, day 5.

You're welcome to have the ice back, as long as I can keep the useful parts...and I hear that warmer lands lie beyond...

Nothing exciting to report -- moving out, trying to grab as much as I can before the elves can reassemble a real army -- their new leader should help them in that regard, but I think I can maintain an edge in the reinforcement race, nonetheless.

Turn sent.

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 06-04-2003 @ 12:55 PM).]

posted 06-04-03 04:06 PM EDT (US)     15 / 36  
elves turn 6
Saw the southern human village for the first time. Couldnīt be that hard to conquer
Turn sent
posted 06-04-03 05:42 PM EDT (US)     16 / 36  
Dark Elves, turn 6.

Made a silly mistake down south, but hopefully it won't cost me much...speaking of the south, I can see those humans too -- looks to me like they're currently without an overlord .

Turn sent.

posted 06-05-03 06:57 AM EDT (US)     17 / 36  
elves turn 7

Conquered a human village and a power node and had a new hero joining ... oh, was I dreaming again
Iīm just waiting for the storm

Turn sent

posted 06-05-03 10:08 AM EDT (US)     18 / 36  
Hey Gryning,

Sorry...something seems to be messed up with my mail forwarder these days. Didn't get your e-mail. Could you resend it? I'm about to leave town though, won't be back until the weekend, so no big rush.

Thanks,
JWorth

posted 06-07-03 02:38 AM EDT (US)     19 / 36  
Dark Elves, day 7.

Consolidating my position up north and getting ready to march forward to new conquests .

Down south, got an unexpected bloody nose taking the Bayou. This may slow down my follow-up plans, and I have yet to get a clear view of whatever forces Serena may have lurking around down there -- just an occasional glimpse of dwarves loitering by the riverbank, but I'm sure that something more threatening is out there somewhere in the swamp...

Turn sent.

posted 06-08-03 10:18 AM EDT (US)     20 / 36  
elves turn 8
Itīs mostly defensive strategies that somes to mind these days.
turn sent
posted 06-08-03 11:12 PM EDT (US)     21 / 36  
Dark Elves, day 8.

More sloppy play down south, but no sign of dwarves or elves yet, so perhaps I still have time to get my act together.

Up north, my forces are marshalled...in the next few days I'll find out whether I have sufficient strength available for a quick, decisive strike, or whether we're going to have to settle in for a war of attrition.

Or, of course, I could be marching right into an unpleasant surprise...

Turn sent.

posted 06-09-03 05:02 AM EDT (US)     22 / 36  
elves turn 9
The surprice is on Look to the west.
turn sent
posted 06-09-03 10:03 AM EDT (US)     23 / 36  
Dark Elves, day 9.

Hmm...that is a surprise. I didn't expect sacred woods so quickly, particularly as the elves only have a single node . That'll slow down my northern advance a bit.

Down south, I think my window of vulnerability has almost passed, and the position is consolidating nicely. Hmm...it seems that Durban has thrown off the hated elven yoke. I may have to lauch an expedition and secure them from any future expansion by Serena.

Turn sent.

posted 06-09-03 05:35 PM EDT (US)     24 / 36  
elves turn 10

I didnīt expect an attack from the lake Well, as you saw: Durbin rebelled. And the thing approching from the east is a grand army. I only hope the army by a misclick moves the opposit way next turn

Donīt expect a quick replay. Buissy, buissy

turn sent

posted 06-09-03 07:20 PM EDT (US)     25 / 36  
Dark elves, turn 10.

A brave boar shows my troops a secret path through the sacred woods, and I detach one of his companions for a side expedition to take out the nymph the elves have despatched to retake Durban. In two days, I should be in position to test the defenses of Serena's capital.

Meanwhile, the south is finally secure, I believe, against any force that I imagine the elves and dwarves might be able to muster against it.

Turn sent.

posted 06-11-03 03:28 PM EDT (US)     26 / 36  
Elves day 11

The sun sets on Serenas empire. The final hour is near. Serena is preparing her capitol for a long () siege. The women and children escaping into the deep woods (to hunt boars ) to escape the evil armies approaching. The wise elven men is trying to figure out why all this shimmering wood is growing so fast Alone in her tower Serena sends a thought to the halflings out there in the dark. Trying to live with dignity under the slavery. Itīs a sad day for the elves

Turn sent

posted 06-11-03 06:48 PM EDT (US)     27 / 36  
Dark Elves, turn 11.

Hmm...my own wise men are trying to figure out the mysteries of these sacred weeds, er, woods, as well...the forest is spreading and spreading...this is going to be a slog.

With eight towns and villages under my control, I remain confident in the ultimate outcome, however . Just in case, my southern army begins the long trudge around the lake to Serena's capital.

Turn sent.

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 06-11-2003 @ 10:48 PM).]

posted 06-15-03 11:31 PM EDT (US)     28 / 36  
Dark Elves, day 12.

The sacred woods continue to spread... and my troops press onward.

I see that lots of elves are keeping Serena company. I wonder where their salaries are coming from?

Turn sent.

posted 06-17-03 00:47 AM EDT (US)     29 / 36  
Dark Elves, day 13.

Continuing to carve a path through these blasted sacred woods. At this pace, my southern army will arrive in time to join the assault.

Captured a mine in the southwest, and spotted a lurking nymph. The elves are down to a mine and a windmill -- perhaps their troops will revolt and we'll be spared the bloodshed of a general assault?

Probably not, but I can always hope...

Turn sent.

posted 06-17-03 04:55 PM EDT (US)     30 / 36  
Elves day 14

Misclicked my berserk right towards the waiting army Thatīs probably what a real berserker would have done. The elves are having problem to finance thier war. Maybe I can borrow some gold from my cousins: the dark elves?

TS

posted 06-17-03 06:19 PM EDT (US)     31 / 36  
Dark Elves, day 14.

Not sure if that berserker is lost or dashing towards the northern mine, but I decide to let it go for now, as I can finally gather my army in the shelter of the tower overlooking Serena's capital. Now, the elves will have to worry about direct assault, though I may still decide to wait for the southern army to arrive. We'll see how things look tomorrow.

Almost forgot...more sacred woods...sigh. I'm definitely not in the mood to make any loans to the elves .

Turn sent.

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 06-17-2003 @ 06:20 PM).]

posted 06-18-03 04:25 PM EDT (US)     32 / 36  
Elves day 15

It was some days since I had something positive to report But at dawn on the 15s day after the conflict started I had a berserker beeing misclicked towards the mines. I may be there the next turn. A beautiful nymph is swimming in the lake very close to the windmill This must be considered a glorious day under the circumstances.

TS

posted 06-18-03 06:49 PM EDT (US)     33 / 36  
Dark Elves, day 15.

Hmm... more sacred woods seal off the approach to Pinnacle from the tower. However, if my calculations are correct, it should leave Serena with little reserve of casting points. An understrength attack on the roaming berserker encourages the elves to cast spells in its defense -- I lose an impaler in the process, but I think (hope) the exchange is well worth it, as my main army can finally move out into the open without fear of getting smothered by sacred plants (again, I hope ). Unless I've blundered, tomorrow will see the first test of the elven capital's walls.

Also, tomorrow my southern army should be able to assault the understrength dwarven garrison and then proceed north if its assistance turns out to be necessary.

Turn sent.

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 06-18-2003 @ 06:50 PM).]

posted 06-22-03 08:54 AM EDT (US)     34 / 36  
Elves day 16

Serena razed a watchtower and therefore summoned one catapult and two darkelven archers as reinforcements for the waiting evil army. She must be eager for her own destruction. Maybe she is suicidal

TS

posted 06-22-03 10:27 AM EDT (US)     35 / 36  
Dark Elves, day 16.

The day of final decision has arrived at last...

After an seemingly endless slog through the elves' sacred forests, Pinnacle is finally within reach of my massed armies, and I order the assault. With a 2:1 advantage in numbers, and a slight edge in quality, the dark elven horde makes short work of the defenders, and Serena is sent to the void for good.

The reign of darkness is finally at hand...I have some interesting ideas for land redistribution that I've been waiting to try...

Turn sent.

Thanks for a really fun game, Gryning.

posted 06-25-03 04:17 PM EDT (US)     36 / 36  
Elves day 17, in the void

In the void Serena have decided that next time she will return to the lake she will reincarnate as a darkelven queen.

But she likes it in the void. Life is much easier here. You donīt have to make all this sacred wood grow every day.

The void make her remember the last time she was thinking of a void. It was the void where all her druids should have been.

Congrats JWorth, and thanks for an entertaining game

[This message has been edited by Gryning (edited 06-25-2003 @ 04:18 PM).]

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs) » WL Danny's Sock (Gryning vs. JWorth)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames