You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs)
Moderated by Timelord, Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: WL Championship- Academy of War (Tekk Zero vs. JWorth)
posted 07-24-03 02:56 AM EDT (US)   
WL Official Championship Game

Map: Revised 1 vs. 1 Academy of War

Players:
JWorth (jworthington@nyc.rr.com)- Earth, Conqueror (NW position)
Tekk Zero (tekkaman_zero@hotmail.com)- Earth, Conqueror (SE position)

All WL rules are in effect. Turn 1 has been sent to JWorth. Good Luck...

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall. ~Confucius
Email at: Tekkaman_Zero@hotmail.com 124881677
Replies:
posted 07-24-03 10:51 AM EDT (US)     1 / 34  
Just reserving my ringside seats ...

*ding*

Round 1 is starting soon ...

Outlier out ...

posted 07-25-03 04:00 PM EDT (US)     2 / 34  
The General, turn 1.

You can set up the bleachers, because we're off! Sorry about the delay; I've had a busy week.

Sadly, security requirements will often conflict with the demands of entertaining turn reports...so, when I say things like "Ach, took my first casualty, but no matter, I'm sure I'll suffer many more before this campaign is out", they may or may not be true .

Moving out. Secured some resources.

Turn sent.

PS: How is that the warlord whose fame is known throughout the land is a mere Colonel, while I, the (I hope not too badly overmatched , though my experience in the warmup wasn't promising... ) challenger, have the exalted rank of General? Strange, strange...

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 07-25-2003 @ 04:02 PM).]

posted 07-25-03 04:09 PM EDT (US)     3 / 34  
A question -- I've just picked up a copy of AOW:SM. I'll hold off on installing it until someone else reports on whether or not its presence on a computer causes existing AOW2 games to generate restarts. If there's no way to avoid restarts, perhaps we should have some pre-announced turn on which we both know that there will be restarts because we've installed SM (I think you said you were planning to get it also). Whatever you prefer -- I'll hold off until we've decided what's best.
posted 07-25-03 08:05 PM EDT (US)     4 / 34  
Game will be delayed until I can ask something from JWorth privately.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall. ~Confucius
posted 07-26-03 01:51 AM EDT (US)     5 / 34  
I can confirm that the installation and play of SM does not affect nor generate restarts in AoW2 games. That is, unless you try to cross-load the games

I've got PBEM games going in both interfaces, and no restarts have been generated. Just be sure to download them into the correct folder if you're doing it manually.

Former PBEM singles champion.
posted 07-26-03 02:45 AM EDT (US)     6 / 34  
*takes a seat*
*grabs some popcorn*
crunch, crunch

PS: Tekk, could you send me the map sometime, please?
After I defeated Aim now I should have an inofficial standing of +120 again and would like to play one Throne battle with you - as official or unofficial challenge, depending on my ranking then.
I will have enough time between about ~ 10-20 of August to get the game going before I take a 2 week summer vacation leave.
I dont mind if we have a leisurely pace if necessary, since I hope you wont pick a map where you defeat me at turn 4 with a spectacular assassination.
Please "call" me back about this, since I guess you will want to spend a lot time with AoW:SM too - while I am happy to let you guys find out all the bugs before we Euros get the game .
After all we could end up with September for our "clash"?

PPS: Wish you well JWorth, shake up his damn solid confidence a bit ... - though he earned it!

Quote:

Sadly, security requirements will often conflict with the demands of entertaining turn reports

Thats true as long as both opponents dont see whats going on. In the beginning we can expect the usual boasts of confidence, thats to be expected

Please dont admit "DAMN, I lost my hero in a crypt, argg!" until its obvious anyway - at least in a title match, where you give your best and even if defeated, people will recognize your "accomplishments".

winner of BTOOIC 2003 AoW2 tournament
teamwinner of HG 2002 AoW1 double tourney finals (with ArchmageSUN)
ex-foreign advisor to BTOOIC (retired due to lack of foe)
posted 07-26-03 04:42 AM EDT (US)     7 / 34  

Quoted from waterfly:

*takes a seat*
*grabs some popcorn*
crunch, crunch

Hey, you have popcorn ... may be I can offer you one of my ringside seats so you can share then ...

So another exciting match is pending between two heavyweights ... Oh yeah, waterfly, you may want to "challenge" JWorth as well ... just in case he could somehow defeat Tekk ... Besides, it'd be that much more entertaining for the rest of us!

Outlier out ...

posted 07-26-03 05:47 AM EDT (US)     8 / 34  
After conversing with JWorth, we have corrected a major flaw that I accidentally left in the map and are restarting the game (the turn has been sent to JWorth).

Quoted from JWorth:

If there's no way to avoid restarts, perhaps we should have some pre-announced turn on which we both know that there will be restarts because we've installed SM (I think you said you were planning to get it also).

Well, because of financial reasons I won't be buying SM for a bit, so I will be sticking with AOW2 until then. Though if someone wants to buy me a copy of SM...

Quoted from waterfly:

Tekk, could you send me the map sometime, please?

Sure, I will send it to you tomorrow. Remind me if I don't.

Quoted from waterfly:

Wish you well JWorth, shake up his damn solid confidence a bit

Oh, I certainly am not over confident on this game. I defintely know JWorth has improved dramatically since I last played him and this should be a tough match.

Quoted from waterfly:

After I defeated Aim now I should have an inofficial standing of +120 again and would like to play one Throne battle with you - as official or unofficial challenge, depending on my ranking then.
I will have enough time between about ~ 10-20 of August to get the game going before I take a 2 week summer vacation leave.

Well, I don't mind, but depending on the outcome of this match, I may not neccesarily still be champion. Though I still could play a game with you, just for old times sake in that case. Though I am not planning on losing.

Quoted from Dafyth:

I've got PBEM games going in both interfaces, and no restarts have been generated. Just be sure to download them into the correct folder if you're doing it manually.

Since I don't own SM, I am curious can someone play SM on PBEM while another player plays AOW2 1.20? Just curious...

Also Dafyth, I believe you mentioned to me that you wanted to spar with whoever is the victor of this match. Am I correct on this assumption?

Quoted from waterfly:

Please dont admit "DAMN, I lost my hero in a crypt, argg!" until its obvious anyway - at least in a title match, where you give your best and even if defeated, people will recognize your "accomplishments".

I don't believe either of us will mention anything significant unless the other player can see it too or it is too late to react.

Quoted from Outlier:

Hey, you have popcorn ... may be I can offer you one of my ringside seats so you can share then ...

Hmmm... I think you should both sit up closer so I can have some popcorn too. Oops! I have to be in the ring and shouldn't distract myself with the nectar of the gods.

[This message has been edited by Tekk Zero (edited 07-26-2003 @ 05:51 AM).]

posted 07-26-03 06:05 AM EDT (US)     9 / 34  

Quoted from Tekk Zero:

Since I don't own SM, I am curious can someone play SM on PBEM while another player plays AOW2 1.20? Just curious...

I've sort of tried it with Dafyth. It's not possible for three level maps but it is possible with AoW2 maps. However, stability is a big issue, besides the obvious advantage an SM player may have with the 'superior' abilities ...

Quoted from Tekk Zero:

Hmmm... I think you should both sit up closer

Are you sure that your are not going to "sucker" punch us so there would be less 'potential' challengers ...

Oh, if you and JWorth should wander close to our seats, may be we can 'shower' you with some popcorns ... it may have a side-effect/benefit of the equivalent of casting "oily-skin" though and causing your opponent's punches to slide right off ...

Outlier out ...

posted 07-26-03 10:21 AM EDT (US)     10 / 34  

Quote:

Also Dafyth, I believe you mentioned to me that you wanted to spar with whoever is the victor of this match. Am I correct on this assumption?

Yes, that is correct! Very kind of you to remember My hope is that the winner is so beat up that he will be easy pickings for my challenge

Quote:

Unfortunately that doesn't seem possible. AoW2 has problems dealing with some of the subtler differences like new abilities and terrain modifications, as well as the biggies like a shadow domain and new units. AoW2 will either lock up on the load (big differences), or it will play until the last human moves, and then corrupt the map and lock up when the AI moves during the day change (smaller differences).

Good luck to both of you on your match. You're both going to need it!

Former PBEM singles champion.
posted 07-26-03 03:24 PM EDT (US)     11 / 34  
Hey Tekk Zero. I got the file, thanks. Just to confirm, this is a final revision of the map, correct? A couple of the new changes could have a meaningful impact several turns down the road, so I'm going to have to re-analyze the openings before making my first move (or choosing instead to play the Colonel). It'll take me a little while; I'll post again when I have news .

Thanks,
JWorth

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 07-26-2003 @ 03:32 PM).]

posted 07-26-03 03:56 PM EDT (US)     12 / 34  
No problem at all. If you find anything to note right now that you would prefer, please give me an email. I don't want either one of us to get ahead because of something stupid I did to the map.

With Arg and Jom coming back, I am considering if I do win this game stepping down from the champion status. I really don't care for being everyone's personal punching bag. I'd rather do the punching. Though I still would like to do the games with Dafyth and waterfly (champion or not).

posted 07-26-03 04:21 PM EDT (US)     13 / 34  

Quote:

If you find anything to note right now that you would prefer, please give me an email. I don't want either one of us to get ahead because of something stupid I did to the map.

Ah, that's why I asked if this is the final revision. At this point, it seems that we should both have looked at this map sufficiently thoroughly that if I find any problems, they're likely subtle ones, and the proper response on my part is to pick a side and start playing . I'll hold off until you confirm that this is the final map before I take a last, careful look, though.

I do think that our efforts have greatly improved this as a 1 vs. 1 battlefield.

posted 07-26-03 06:46 PM EDT (US)     14 / 34  
Tekk Zero,

Just got the new revisions to the map -- thanks! From your note, I'm guessing that this is the final version, but if you could confirm that here before I sit down to take a thorough look at it, I'd be grateful.

Thanks again.
-- JWorth

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 07-26-2003 @ 06:47 PM).]

posted 07-26-03 07:08 PM EDT (US)     15 / 34  
I think so... *gulps*

posted 07-28-03 01:11 AM EDT (US)     16 / 34  
Hey Tekk Zero,

Upon deeper reflection...I still have a tiny preference for blue. As you seem to prefer green, that means you've achieved the nearly impossible -- a slice and choose game where both players walk away happy -- congratulations.

Do you want to go ahead and set it up and send me the first turn? I think this map is quite fair.

Thanks.

-- JWorth

[edit] -- Almost forgot, we haven't discussed Call Hero. It strikes me that limiting the players to their initial allotments of three leaders is an essential part of this design, so I'd suggest we enforce the optional ban. What do you think?

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 07-28-2003 @ 01:15 AM).]

posted 07-29-03 04:56 AM EDT (US)     17 / 34  
Works for me. I guess we are the same sides, so let's get this game rolling. First turn sent to JWorth.

I don't think call hero will matter on this map.

Quoted from JWorth:

Upon deeper reflection...I still have a tiny preference for blue. As you seem to prefer green, that means you've achieved the nearly impossible -- a slice and choose game where both players walk away happy -- congratulations.

thanks.

Waterfly, I will take one more pass at the map tomorrow and send it off to you so you can see what we did

Day 1- "DAMN, I lost my hero in a crypt, argg!!!" Oops, wait my turn has happened yet.

posted 07-30-03 11:50 AM EDT (US)     18 / 34  
The General, turn 1.

Moving out...One hero down, but no matter, ours is not to reason why... Otherwise, an overwhelming start .

(I know, I know, TZ beat me to the punch, but I just couldn't resist ).

Speaking of lost heroes, Tekk Zero, I'm inclined to agree that it probably won't matter in this game, but, just in case this turns into a war of attrition, do I take it from your response that we've agreed to ban call hero?

Turn sent.

-- JWorth

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 07-30-2003 @ 11:51 AM).]

posted 08-03-03 05:31 AM EDT (US)     19 / 34  
Sorry for the delay.

Day 1- A pretty good start.

TS

Concerning a ban on call hero, I am pretty sure it won't make a difference (so my vote is no). You might want to check the possible heroes on the map to get an idea how effective it will be. By all means research and use call hero.

[This message has been edited by Tekk Zero (edited 08-03-2003 @ 05:52 AM).]

posted 08-03-03 05:47 AM EDT (US)     20 / 34  
Oh one more thing of note, I was forced to shut down my computer immediately after playing the turn and I am not sure if it will generate a restart in this game. I am sorry if it does, but I really hope it doesn't.

posted 08-03-03 09:13 PM EDT (US)     21 / 34  
General, turn 2.

Continuing to move out -- some events in the forest go well, others less so...

Turn sent.

-- Also, Tekk, I haven't checked -- did you delete the heroes from the two removed start positions? I don't care either way, but if they're gone, my apologies, the call hero question would really be a waste of time then. I'll go look.

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 08-03-2003 @ 09:13 PM).]

posted 08-04-03 03:49 AM EDT (US)     22 / 34  
Day 2- Nothing worth reporting publicly other than that my units are moving around.

TS

I got a turn restart because I re-installed my OS since my administrator account was malfunctioning. The problem is still there, but I am not going to touch it again until I am out of all my AOW2 games as a courtesy to the players I am playing with.

I did the re-install after playing my most recent turn in the double tourney, so that game too will generate a restart. Sorry... I thought one re-install would do the trick

Quoted from JWORTH:

did you delete the heroes from the two removed start positions?

posted 08-04-03 08:13 PM EDT (US)     23 / 34  
Hey Tekk,

Kind of swamped with work right now. I should be able to get out the turn tomorrow evening, but it might not be until Wednesday. Thought I'd send you a heads-up, and apologies in advance.

Thanks,
JWorth

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 08-04-2003 @ 08:14 PM).]

posted 08-05-03 00:25 AM EDT (US)     24 / 34  
No problemo!

posted 08-05-03 03:40 PM EDT (US)     25 / 34  
* caugh * I admit I'm having a nosy look into this. I would also be interested in a copy of the map actually played. Who has edited it? And does it, JWorth, by any chance contain Rushberries?

- Final Bolt

[This message has been edited by Final Bolt (edited 08-05-2003 @ 03:41 PM).]

posted 08-05-03 04:26 PM EDT (US)     26 / 34  
Hey Final Bolt,

Nope, no rushberries . Final Bolt did the bulk of the editing, with a little bit of input from me at the very end.

I'd be happy to forward a copy to you. It's an interesting revision of this map.

-- JWorth

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 08-05-2003 @ 04:27 PM).]

posted 08-06-03 01:40 AM EDT (US)     27 / 34  
General, day 3.

Still moving, mostly in a forward direction .

Turn sent.

-- No problem about the restart, Tekk. There's a chance I may generate one myself next turn. I have to install an XP patch (got an RPC ping a couple of hours ago, which is rather disturbing), which I fear may be dicey for AOW. Here's hoping it doesn't cause a problem -- my apologies if it does.

posted 08-06-03 04:58 AM EDT (US)     28 / 34  
Day 3- A bittersweet victory over JWorth today, as I lost a hero in the carnage. Nevertheless, my objective was met as I have kept him from an important resource by killing a knight (my intent had been to seriously harm the knight and put it out of action as I really didn't care if I lost or won in the end).

Unfortunately, the rest of my turn didn't go as well as my forces took a beating at the hands of some nasty independents, but I am not deterred in the slightest.

TS

[This message has been edited by Tekk Zero (edited 08-06-2003 @ 05:07 AM).]

posted 08-06-03 08:43 PM EDT (US)     29 / 34  
General, day 4.

Well, that's a surprise . So, the secret's out -- the colonel made it to the mainland on turn 1 with a summoned waterdancer (sound of plans being revised...). Ok, I think (hope ) I can adjust for that. Much happier to know about it now rather than in a turn or two, and I'm pleased to see a green hero bite the dust. My knight will be mourned, though...

Nothing much to report elsewhere. Moving around, and starting the slow process of clearing the guards out of the center, hex by bloadsoaked hex.

Turn sent.

-- and a restart of my own, for the reasons explained in the post above.

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 08-06-2003 @ 08:44 PM).]

posted 08-09-03 03:48 AM EDT (US)     30 / 34  
Day 4- Another battle occured in the underground between JWorth's forces and mine, where now one of JWorth's heroes lies dead. Progress elsewhere is going steady.

It appears that JWorth beat me to the mana crystals in the underground. I don't think I am going to like him having that much mana.

Turn Sent

On a side note, I find it ironic that the two heroes who are dead were both of our coporals.

posted 08-09-03 04:51 PM EDT (US)     31 / 34  
Nice move, Tekk -- I think I had to run that risk, as you're a turn ahead of me in the race to the crucial resources, but now I'm really in trouble.

Not to drop out of this too quickly, but I can see where this game is heading -- I completely failed to anticipate the possibility (a 1 in 16 possibility, but I should have planned for it nonetheless) that you would have a risk-free approach to the mainland on turn 1, and I'm now going to be a day late and a man short in all the early central battles.

Good game, and nice exploitation on your part. My hat's off. Care for a rematch, same sides, with water removed from the vaults (or, even better, with pre-set spells in the vaults)? I can't believe we, or I at least, overlooked them in our quest to get the random factors out of this map. Feeling a little sheepish right now.

-- JWorth

ps -- Or, perhaps, you'll decide to call this a wash with our first run, where I reached the mainland on turn 1. I leave it to you.

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 08-09-2003 @ 05:25 PM).]

posted 08-09-03 06:23 PM EDT (US)     32 / 34  
Before I comment on this publicly and whether we should continue I would like to talk to you privately first JWorth on a VERY important issue.

posted 08-09-03 06:45 PM EDT (US)     33 / 34  
Hey Tekk.

Sure -- intrigued by your post. I've e-mailed you a resignation -- we can talk that way, if you prefer.

-- JWorth

posted 08-16-03 08:35 PM EDT (US)     34 / 34  
Just in case anyone but TZ and I are still following this thread...

Tekk Zero and I have decided to call this match a wash, and we're back in the engineshop to work on the map some more .

[This message has been edited by JWorth (edited 08-16-2003 @ 08:36 PM).]

Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs) » WL Championship- Academy of War (Tekk Zero vs. JWorth)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames