Please login or register

AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs)
Moderated by Timelord, Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Call for Paired WL Games
posted 11-18-03 04:13 PM EDT (US)   
One of the objections to random games is that the maps are frequently unbalanced. One way to counter that is to play the map from both sides, though in practice I find that when people give that as their intention, it never really happens.

So what I would like to try is to play some small or medium random 2-player maps in pairs. Each person commits to sendign their turns back at roughly the same time (in one email if you are sending manually, otherwise just roughly related in time.) This also adds an additional strategic factor, in that you can and will gain knowlege of your enemy's location and surroundings pretty immediately. Doing reconisance in one game for use in the other is useful only in respect to terrain, but sometimes that can be critical.

I've got two volunteers so far (Evil-Roc and BlackCat) but could use one or two more.

Thank you.

[This message has been edited by hiranu (edited 11-21-2003 @ 11:43 AM).]

Replies:
posted 11-18-03 04:26 PM EDT (US)     1 / 6  
Interesting idea. This means that two games will be generated with the same 'seed'? Have you tested this method?

If this works and if you have nothing against playing with me, I'd like to give it a try. Will you start up the game?

posted 11-18-03 04:32 PM EDT (US)     2 / 6  
I will start the first one with a random seed, and then the second one using the same seed at the first. I tested this once, and it works as long as _all_ of the other settings are the same. I'll publish the other settings at the time of the game, feel free to give preferences

(Remember that's things like medium or small map, lots or few cities, lots or few independants. Wizard type, magic, skill and race are all selected randomly.)

Evil-roc, I have no objections to playing you again, I'll get that set up this evening.

posted 11-18-03 05:07 PM EDT (US)     3 / 6  
Can you not generate one map and use it twice? - But if that succeeds, is not one of the nicer parts of random maps (hm, perhaps the only nice one) to not know about the rest of the country outside of your domain?
posted 11-18-03 05:56 PM EDT (US)     4 / 6  
It might be possible but personally I've never fed a generated game into the game editor, so I'm not sure what would happen. This way there is a little of the effect you mention, which is at each game you don't know about most of the board, just the little around both capitals, and then you explore the board from both sides at once. Once you load a game into the editor, you know a lot more than that before the game even starts.

Its a matter of personal preference, which is why I want to try it out and see what I think, and what others think.

posted 11-19-03 04:49 PM EDT (US)     5 / 6  
Hi hiranu,

interesting idea, start a coüple for us, so I understand your idea wright, but I think I'm wright.

posted 11-21-03 11:43 AM EDT (US)     6 / 6  
I've sent you a pair of games. Let me know if you want to do them wizard's ladder or not, and I'll start up the thread.
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs) » Call for Paired WL Games
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames