Please login or register

AoW2/SM Scenario Design
Moderated by Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The making of Brothers and Sisters
posted 04-29-08 01:06 AM EDT (US)   
I hope many more people will start, the making of's. What would be even cooler if it was on maps that are actually in development!
Well, i mean come on, he practically went up to me and told me to do it, so blame this thread on Swolte.

I'll start with some background...

My first "real" map for aow sm was "humans vs undead" all it did was pit my two hot seat buddies favorite races against each other, it was just something i threw together, not a "good" map in any since, not even a "half decant" one.

After that i scraped together one called "lowland brawl" it was even worse then my older one . And really was more of a test then anything...

Then i decided to do something different, i thought "hey, i know how to make a map, let's try making a good one, as in, one people might actually play. Maybe even with a story this time"

So i left on my quest to make a decant map...

I opened the editor, and clicked "new", this is where i made my first big jump, i usually make small maps. But this time i thought "be a man mentork you can do it, i believe in you!" so i went with medium.

Then i sat, and thought, i did this for a very long time, ****ing around with different ideas, and what came out of the mat where some cold, hard, solid words i could use...

"island"

"goblins"

"spirits"

(they actually came to me in that order)

That's right folks, my map is gonna be about the spirits fighting on goblin island!
Replies:
posted 04-29-08 04:00 AM EDT (US)     1 / 5  
Goblins are awesome, and I like how you came up with the map.

Post screenshots when you can! Photobucket is a pretty good image host, if you can stand all the ads!
posted 04-29-08 09:23 AM EDT (US)     2 / 5  
My next choice was on how many floors to make it, i pritty much knew i did not want a shadow relm, but what about an underground? After all that is where goblins are supposed to be best..

Well after much thought i decided to leave out the underground (and i am very glad of that now). First off it would clash with my island theme, Miles of dark tunnels is something goblins see all too often. And i thought it would be ok because, i mean, it's goblin island. In the normal world the goblins hide underground form all the scary monsters (saints, titians, leprechauns, rune masters, silver metal fairy dragons...) But what are they hiding from on goblin island?

Next it was time to make the wizards...

Obviously there where going to be four of them, one for each spirit.

And, i do not like long, hard to pronounce names. I don't think of my most of my creations as characters in a story, more like pieces in a elaborate chess game. So instead of giving then "normal" names, i opted to gives them titles.

"The Warlord"

"The Sorceress"

"The Slavemaster"

"The Shaman"

And here's a cute little screen shot for you...

[PNG, (747.64 KB)]

[This message has been edited by mentork (edited 04-29-2008 @ 09:32 AM).]

posted 04-29-08 03:51 PM EDT (US)     3 / 5  
After i had my theme and my wizards i wrote my story...

I then "sketched" the land, just some bare ground and trees, i wanted a general idea of where everything was going to be (forest here, swamp there, a beach over yonder)

After i got a good idea of what i wanted, i went about making the heroes. Now i didn't want anyone getting attached to the heroes, they are nothing more then pieces in our "elaborate game of chess", i do not like scenarios that try to make them out as more then that, and as such i did like the wizards and only gave them titles. Although i did try to make each one different from the others.

I made a major decision at this point, i could have just "filled in" what i had "sketched" and be done with it, but i was not happy with the way it was.

I felt that even though each wizard started with a different hero, sphere, shrine, and wizard skills, that was not enough. I felt the wizards would play to similarly to each other. So, i decided to give each player a starting "advantage". Taking the great risk of hurting balance, but i felt that it would make it more enjoyable so i did it anyway.

"Slave Master, your organization and empire management skills have gifted you with more raw resources then any of your foes."

I gave him a pile with 300 gold near him, a pile of 100 mana, and raw resources to upgrade his town with.

"Shaman, you can use this circle to bring natures creatures to you're side."
That may not sound like much, but i put two level three bears in there, among other things...

Warlord!, the spirit of war has smiled opon you! He wants to see you crush your foes just as much as you do! And as such, has granted you spells to help you dominate in combat!"
The spells are, fireball, great hail, and stoning.

"Sorceress, using your magical abilities, you have been able to sap the life from the land around you, and use its power to grant you rifts into the magic plane."
Two mana nodes more then the others start with, i figured the "sorceress" should get the most magic...

Content with everything, I "filled in" the map, this was, by far the longest and hardest part of making the map. And sadly i feel that even though this is the part i spent the longest time on, it will still be the worst part. Because i just don't have a good "eye" for this kind of thing.

But, i finally got it done, and i submitted the map. It should be up shortly, i hope you enjoy it!

One last screen shot for the kitty

[PNG, (854.66 KB)]

[This message has been edited by mentork (edited 04-29-2008 @ 03:53 PM).]

posted 04-29-08 05:58 PM EDT (US)     4 / 5  
Interesting idea about the special Wizard bonuses!

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 05-02-08 11:44 AM EDT (US)     5 / 5  
The idea was to make playing each wizard a different experience, cause if you intend to win you should abuse the advantage given to you to its fullest.
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Scenario Design » The making of Brothers and Sisters
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames