You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General Discussion & Suggestions
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Adding complete custom wizards to shadow magic :)
posted 08-03-03 11:53 PM EDT (US)   
Thought I would share this with the rest of the forum...

You can add your very own wizard to Shadow Magic using the advanced editor. Doing this will allow you to choose a custom portrait, any "avatar" you would want to use, and even come up with custom messages for wizard to use when negotiating.

The steps are pretty simple...

Use the ILB editor (ILed) which is included in the game to import your custom portraits to a custom ILB.

Then go into the advanced editor, go to the wizard section, add a new entry using the ILB you created for the face and portrait sections. From here, you can also choose any avatar to represent your new custom wizard, you can also give the wizard his/her sphere selection, name, stats, abilities, default color and default race. And just for flavor, don't forget to give your wizard some witty things to say when he/she breaks alliances, declares war etc.

When you are done, not only will you have a new wizard to play that can be chosen at the wizard select screen, This wizard can also be played against as a new opponent .

Remember, you want to add your new wizard to the Resource, Library and Face section to make it fully functional just like the default wizards.

Hope this helps some people make their custom wizard dreams come true, I know it is not very detailed, but I too lazy to write up anything terribly detailed.

Replies:
posted 08-04-03 00:05 AM EDT (US)     1 / 28  
Be careful about adding custom content to the resources folder right now. Apparently, a bug exists in relation to doing so, and may corrupt the game.
posted 08-04-03 00:09 AM EDT (US)     2 / 28  
No problems here so far and I have been fooling around with it for days. But aye, if there is a problem, be careful and use at your own risk
posted 08-04-03 00:11 AM EDT (US)     3 / 28  
Well, the developers said it may cause problems in the game over the long term, and to reinstall if you have created custom resources at this point. The post is here: http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=31,3041,0,60

[This message has been edited by Tachu_Tai (edited 08-04-2003 @ 00:21 AM).]

posted 08-04-03 00:15 AM EDT (US)     4 / 28  
As I stated before, if you use this information, be careful. *shrug*
posted 08-05-03 10:04 AM EDT (US)     5 / 28  
Can we do a wizard with a unit look (angel) ?
posted 08-05-03 02:50 PM EDT (US)     6 / 28  
Sure can, just browse for the angel when you choose your avatar.
posted 08-05-03 03:06 PM EDT (US)     7 / 28  
Can you give me more specification about that ?
posted 08-05-03 03:20 PM EDT (US)     8 / 28  
Sure thing, but I am about to head out the door atm, When I get home tonight I will try to give you a more detailed description of how it is done.
posted 08-05-03 04:21 PM EDT (US)     9 / 28  
does a wizard created this way work in multiplayer?

Pot - It's whats for dinner.
posted 08-06-03 02:25 AM EDT (US)     10 / 28  
OK, here is a more detailed "how to" for choosing an angel for your wizard's avatar.

Go into the advanced editor, choose "settings" on the right side of the screen. Choose "wizards". There will be 5 resourse tabs underneath wizards. You want to choose "faces". Click on any existing face or an empty spot and it should bring up a "face properties" screen. The last option is "body ID". Click here and choose the browse option which looks like "...". From there you can choose any sprite to represent the wizard you selected.

That is all there is to it. To give you an example, I used this feature to add a beholder wizard, complete with beholder portrait.

aPothead, this will not work in multiplayer unless you all use the same mod. If you are using the same mod, this should work fine.

posted 08-06-03 02:50 AM EDT (US)     11 / 28  
*laughs* this just gave me a hole new idea for a scenario

Vaiyo A-O
A Home Va Ya Ray
Vaiyo A-Rah
Jerhume Brunnen G
posted 08-06-03 04:46 AM EDT (US)     12 / 28  
If someone else was to play the map, could they just play it straight away or would then need to move files all over the place etc?

Experience the ultimate single player map for Shadow Magic here

Battles of Creation : The Blackened Mire

Get the legendary Battle Of Creation that began it all here...

posted 08-06-03 10:46 AM EDT (US)     13 / 28  
Why in the "image selection" i can't find the image of my wizard i create ? I create my mizard in the Library but when i switch in the "Face section" my wizard is not there so i can't chose my avatar. Can you help me ? How to create a ILB files ?

[This message has been edited by Hezekiel (edited 08-06-2003 @ 10:49 AM).]

posted 08-06-03 03:06 PM EDT (US)     14 / 28  
You need to create two bmp portraits of your wizard and put them in an ILB file using ILed which is found in your age of wonders directory. Open an existing wizard portrait ILB to use as a reference.

These wizards are not custom made for just maps, they are custom made for the game. So for instance, you can run a random map and choose the new wizard as your wizard, complete with custom portrait, sprite, spell spheres, stats etc.

posted 08-06-03 07:17 PM EDT (US)     15 / 28  
Im having trouble with this, would someone please post step by step how to do it. Ive made the ilb file but its not working
posted 08-07-03 10:40 AM EDT (US)     16 / 28  
I have the same problem with the ILB files. i can't create my picture. Need Help.
posted 08-07-03 11:03 AM EDT (US)     17 / 28  
It is definitely slightly complicated to create custom wizard ILB files. I don't have the program in front of me, but I will try to recreate the steps from memory. I would suggest that you back up the portraits folder before you proceed in case you want to go back to the default portraits.

1) Start up the ILB editor. Go to file -> open library, browse to the wizard portraits at C:\Program Files\Age of Wonders Shadow Magic\images\portraits\ and choose a wizard that you normally don't select, like Custom_Male1. Open that file.

2) Using a graphics program, find two images you would like to use, and save them as JPGs. The image sizes should be 180x220 for the close-up and 400x600 for the full-body shot.

3) Go back to the ILB editor. Click on the open image button, and browse to where you saved the JPG files. Open the JPG files.

4) With the Custom_Male1 library file open, delete the two images with the dark hooded figure, and replace them with your images. Make sure the smaller / larger size images are in the same order as the Custom_Male1 images (if the Custom_Male1 has the close-up shot on top, then keep that order, and vice versa for if the full body shot is above the the close-up).

5) Keep the name as it is (even if the portrait is female), and save the file as Custom_Male1, overwriting the original file. Now when you go to create a new wizard and select the portrait, you should see, in place of the dark hooded figure, your own portrait.

But the missions were misguided and the trammeled led astray
The air resounds with thunder as the victor seized the day
And the haunting voice of history lives ignored but not betrayed

[This message has been edited by Anata (edited 08-07-2003 @ 11:07 AM).]

posted 08-07-03 01:19 PM EDT (US)     18 / 28  
hey, that's an awfully slick website you have there, anata.
posted 08-07-03 03:00 PM EDT (US)     19 / 28  
What Anata says pretty much covers it...

But, you don't need to overwrite the custom one, you can create a brand new ILB, also, the sequence of the images will not matter in the ILB, and finally, the images don't have to be jpeg to be put in the ILB.

Keep that in mind and do exactly what she said.

posted 08-07-03 03:05 PM EDT (US)     20 / 28  
Thanks SupertoneD. Also, thanks Foodstamp for the clarifications.

But the missions were misguided and the trammeled led astray
The air resounds with thunder as the victor seized the day
And the haunting voice of history lives ignored but not betrayed
posted 08-07-03 04:06 PM EDT (US)     21 / 28  
What was that about choosing my Avatar ingame? The figure which stands there...

THAT's what's interesting me, just to add my Image, the ingame feature is sufficient for me.

K.Rool,
Master of unnecessary knowledge...
posted 08-10-03 12:09 PM EDT (US)     22 / 28  
Once I open the ILB editor, choose open ILB, navigate to the portraits section and try to open any file I get the error:

External Exception C000001D

Any idea where I am wandering off the path of righteousness here?

Thanks all!

posted 08-11-03 02:42 AM EDT (US)     23 / 28  
Hmm, johny I just tried it and opened a portrait ILB. No problems here. I did exactly as you said you did.
posted 08-11-03 03:25 AM EDT (US)     24 / 28  
Anata - that is great information, and your website is excellent!
posted 03-30-13 01:15 PM EDT (US)     25 / 28  
What is the name of the advanced editor? I bought it from GOG and I can't find it in the games folder. There's the map and ILEd editors but that's it.......
posted 03-30-13 01:30 PM EDT (US)     26 / 28  
I suppose you mean the resource editor.. It is a function of the default AoW:SM editor, which allows you to edit / create custom resources. I explained some on it's workings just recently on this thread. I'm sure these things are explained elsewhere as well, but might be bit hard to find atm.

Maker of the CoMA and Strange Lands mods.
Check out the AoW Chatroom
posted 03-30-13 02:39 PM EDT (US)     27 / 28  
Thanks! I've got it figured out now.
posted 03-06-22 07:12 PM EDT (US)     28 / 28  
But as far as i can see there is a limit of further 18 new wizards that can be created over the existing ones... So pity there is not a way to bypass this limit...

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
MY GAME VERSION:

Age of Empires II The Conquerors 1.0 without any patches, just the ES release in August 24th 2000, proud to playing this game version!
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » General Discussion & Suggestions » Adding complete custom wizards to shadow magic :)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames