Please login or register

General Discussion & Suggestions
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Interface Questions
posted 12-22-05 09:21 AM EDT (US)   
Although I am still a brand spanking newbie to AOWSM, the way it is set up makes it one of my favorite fantasy TBS of all time.

I have two big issues with the game, however, one of which perhaps could be addressed. The first is the obtrusiveness of some of the graphics which makes it difficult for me to see units or determine their exact location. Since nothing can be done about it (but oh what I wouldnt give for something like an AOW3 in unobtrusive 3D!), I will say no more.

I want to talk about and ask questions about the interface. This is for me my main hinderance in getting the maximum enjoyment from the game so far.

For those of you who love to use the mouse and dislike the keyboard, this post will probably sound strange -- I dont mean to be annoying, I merely want to ask if any enhancements are possible.

To me, half of the very very few hotkeys that do exist are counterintuitive and extraneous -- I don't ever want a hotkey for screen resolution, for example. But whatever. What bothers me is that
- I need to click for everything
- I need to actively deselect units (indeed, by clicking!) before examining other parts of my empire (by clicking!)
- I have no access to simple overview screens for certain features.

The only thing missing for me to make this game nearly perfect would be a simple hotkey selection for, say (*just an example*):

T - cycles through towns
Q - Quests screen

f1 spell research
f2 skill research
f3 spellbook
f4 power overview
f5 active spells
f6 treasury
f7 city overview
f7 diplomacy main screen
f8 options screen
f9 mana treasury (currently, there is no way to see where all your mana is going to)
f12 leader

I think just having a key which allows you to center on and cycle through towns would be worth its weight in gold (?) -- it really detracts from my game experience to have to find and click on each town or to click the kingdom button and then click the towns tab and then click on the various cities.

So my question is: Is any of this possible to implement, either in a patch or a mod? I am sorry, I know nothing about computers whatsoever (really). (Or do most people not feel as I do?)

thank you very much

Replies:
posted 12-22-05 09:53 AM EDT (US)     1 / 1  
There are various letters you can use, although I don't know all of them:

N takes you to your next stack

M moves that stack

O toggles observe on and off (essential in live internet games)

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » General Discussion & Suggestions » Interface Questions
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames