Please login or register

General Discussion & Suggestions
Moderated by ChowGuy, Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: New commonplace for online players
posted 12-29-11 02:52 AM EDT (US)   
Currently, I meet at 02.chat.mibbit.com/#AoW, and other players do also. However, aside from it not being advertised well and there being no uniformity or consistency in a meeting spot, I find even more problems with this site that beg me to request someone find a better way for players to meet online (not to mention the site is down as I post this).

1) It lacks sound notifications. Because of the lack of numbers when it comes to waiting to play a game, often people might keep this open in the background and wait for more, while continuing to do other things. However, once players do come that make the numbers for a full game, the others are afk and have no idea anyone is in chat. There needs to be a sound notification for players to be called into action.

2) It's browser based. Yes, it's very easy to go onto this site, but it's also to leave this site. I am here quite often, and I can not count on my hands how many times people log in anonymously to "Check" if there are players, and then leave within seconds. probably about 3-10 different individuals do this multiple times daily, and if they stayed around, they would have played a game.

I think we should search for a new way to connect that has a large amount of easy access with sound notifications that is not browser based, perhaps one that even starts with windows startup, so that people do not feel so inclined to need to check in for gaming when they are already able to be notified of a game. We used to use MSN messenger, and that seemed to work out well, but it might be tedious to add every single player to our messenger lists that wishes to play online, and the groups have a cap of 20.

This is an older game, and less and less people wish to play online, and the lack of a commonplace to meet online players definitely does not help. I think this needs to be discussed and researched so that for those still wanting to play online, and those in the future, we have a place to meet.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Replies:
posted 01-03-12 10:38 AM EDT (US)     1 / 7  
Hey,

Actually you can add sound notification for the Mibbit -chatroom quite easily. You only need to register for the site, and they should be on automatically. You can also configure those in the "Prefs" menu once you've registered. The site also remembers your account, so technically you only need to register and log in once (I think).

Also if you dont want to use it browserbased, you can log into it through irc-client or Trillian for example, which has additional options..

But yeah, we could use some more players.

Maker of the CoMA and Strange Lands mods.
Check out the AoW Chatroom
posted 01-03-12 10:04 PM EDT (US)     2 / 7  
But yeah, we could use some more players
We have this Mibbit -chatroom but I donīt show up often there.
Indeed it would be more often if it had a sticky link that spark to the eye and indeed if it had a more attractive place on the HG main page or forum.
Yes and indeed if it would be a nice place maybe a "HG own thing". Maybe the new "owners/staff?" will "create" a new style one day.
In fact this HG AowSM page is a little outdated and not really actual but that is of topic.

AoWSM Maps: 1. Marlenes Welt 2. Marlenes Schatten 3. Marlenes Gnade
Up.1.4 Maps: 4. Secrets of Marlenia (UPatch 1.4 Map - update) 5. Gates of Elocin - Part I (Mapmaking Competition - Winning Map) 6. Davidīs Winter Wonderland 7. Fairy Wedding
8. Marleneīs_Laughter 9. The Gods Arena Of Magic And Power 10. The_Wilderness 11. Kayland (AoW I Mod) 12. Mia-Mina_&_The_Seadrake
11. AoW I Sound Set for AoWSM 12. Gentleman Rules Set
Need Help? The Conqueror's Fieldguide to The Groll's Universe
Proud member of the Upatch 1.4, 1.5 & 1.6 Team
posted 01-04-12 04:16 AM EDT (US)     3 / 7  
It was allready discussed that HG should provide its own game chat for this.

With FAT links everywhere directing you to this chat, perhaps pesky popups too, as it is with some other community places.

Honored Core Balance Team Member of UPatch 1.4
Also known as TirAsleen
Dwiggsvillain
posted 01-04-12 10:11 AM EDT (US)     4 / 7  
Yes and indeed if it would be a nice place maybe a "HG own thing".
It was allready discussed that HG should provide its own game chat for this.
Yeah I agree it could be best if HG started more "official" chatroom. I previously asked Chowguy about that, but he said there would the problem of moderating the chat. (would need to hire a moderator etc) Dunno if thats so big problem though, in these past six months I've only had to kick one person because of rude behaviour. We're pretty small and mostly well behaved community anyways..

posted 01-05-12 02:10 AM EDT (US)     5 / 7  
IMO, the problem is not in your chat being browser-based (it's really just an IRC with a web-interface), it's in you positioning it as browser-based.
I've set up a simple chatroom you can use in your browser here .
Or if you got an IRC client, you can join #AoW -room in irc.mibbit.net network (port 6667).
That's just plain wrong: using an IM client with IRC protocol support should be considered a primary way to use the chat, so people don't have to worry about message notifications or auto-join or closing the browser / the tab. Web-interface can sometimes be a convenient feature to have, but in most cases it just lowers user experience and prevents people from staying in chat longer, so it should be made clear that it is NOT a recommended way to enter the chat. If you do that and probably add some instructions on setting up IRC in the most popular IM clients, that should help dealing with most of the issues.

Author of the post is not responsible for any side effects of reading it, including mental trauma, blown up brains, hurt feelings, law violation, sudden death or understanding what the hell author meant.
---------------
Twitter
MP Evolution 2.0 | Lab break 1.0

[This message has been edited by HellBrick (edited 01-05-2012 @ 02:14 AM).]

posted 01-05-12 09:50 AM EDT (US)     6 / 7  
Web-interface can sometimes be a convenient feature to have, but in most cases it just lowers user experience and prevents people from staying in chat longer, so it should be made clear that it is NOT a recommended way to enter the chat.
Probably so, but I estimated that people are likely to be too lazy to install and learn using new software. But I suppose I could add some instructions for Trillian at least (not very familiar with other multi protocol IM clients).

posted 01-07-12 11:42 PM EDT (US)     7 / 7  
pidgin would be lovely.

Honored Core Balance Team Member of UPatch 1.4
Also known as TirAsleen
Dwiggsvillain
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » General Discussion & Suggestions » New commonplace for online players
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames