You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2/SM Online Multiplayer
Moderated by Swolte, Timelord, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Do we need one central meeting point?
posted 11-17-10 08:16 AM EDT (US)   
I think it is vital to establish a universal standard for online AoWSM. Starcraft has BattleNet. It is straight forward and that, my friends, is the key to success. KISS! Keep It Simple Silly.

There are going to be pros and cons for each and every option. No question or dispute. In addition, an informal community like this one will have difficulty making a decision. Nonetheless, I think a decision on one standard forum is vital for the hordes that are flocking to AoWSM with it's re-release. It's a cool game. TriumphStudios, dare I say, appears unresponsive to the resurgence of interest. Therefore, it's up to us.

My proposal is narrow down to one selection for "unofficial" online gaming. That is, we need a simple, detailed guide on online gaming so users can follow a step-by-step instruction on how to get up and running. I see several potential implementations ranging from preset & advertised Hamachi networks to Tunngle rooms to GameRanger postings and so on.

The Olympic Selection process takes 4-5 choices and conducts a series a voting to eliminate one choice each round. Of course, they have scandals regarding monetary and prostitution bribes. (I will note I'm not opposed to either.) Anyway, I propose conducting rounds of selection votes to isolate on one and only one "unofficial" online gaming selection. I foresee a sticky thread with details on the "unofficial" online gaming option and potentially another sticky thread with "other" online gaming options.

In the Olympic Selection process each city makes a bid. Therefore, I also suggest, prior to any voting (and bribes), that a single representative makes a proposal on their particular choice.

This proposal will only work if the majority of the community agrees to it.

Let me know what you think.
http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=29,4801,,20

What do you guys think?

Personally I think that our list of contact details for MSN Messenger etc.:
http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=30,5278,,20
works well for regular, reliable players but is not very good for new players that want to try the online experience once to see if it is for them or not.

With a lot of new players joining the community, maybe a new channel is needed?

The Groll keeps plugging the idea of a HeavenGames chatroom, but having been a moderator here I am well aware that introducing a new feature like that to the forum is definitely not something that will happen overnight, and might never happen.

What do you guys think is the best way of introducing new players to the absolutely brilliant experience of tactical combat against another human being?

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
Replies:
posted 11-18-10 02:23 AM EDT (US)     1 / 2  
Yeah, central meeting point would be very usefull, as now it seems players are divided in different groups. Hamachi isn't optimal because it has the 16 user limit / room and also every1 needs to know name of the room and password. The commercial version of hamachi supports 255 users, but thats expensive and I think all users would have to have the commercial version then (not just the room creator).

Also Tunngle seems to have some problems sometimes for me at least; I couldn't install Tunngle adapter without taking my virusguard/firewall offline, and still I sometimes dont see some people in Tunngle while others can. And it seems that Tunngle and Hamachi might conflict with each other if you have those two on at same time.

Havent tried Gameranger or other VPN clients (like Wippien). If there is a solution that works flawlessly that'd be great, but so far I havent found one. But if it's mainly the meeting point we're looking for, maybe Tunngle would be my candidate. It supports 255 players in same room, and if you manage to get it installed properly, the virtual network it provides works in most cases. And if it dont work, players could setup the game through hamachi instead for example.

Maker of the CoMA and Strange Lands mods.
Check out the AoW Chatroom
posted 11-18-10 06:20 PM EDT (US)     2 / 2  
I like Tunngle the best. Hamachi is useful, but the limit on the size of the room hurts.
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Online Multiplayer » Do we need one central meeting point?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames