Please login or register

AoW:SM Tech Help & Bug Reporting
Moderated by Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: PBEM automation
posted 08-09-09 03:27 PM EDT (US)   
Hi i was wondering if some1 can give a step by step on what to do to setup an auto send pbem games.

i've registered with gmail and thunderbird and have enabled POP and IMAP.

i was pretty certain i had set it all up right. I've put in the gmail smtp server name in aow email settings.

Could the problem be because my emailout folders files dsont not appear unless i select compatibility files? i thought this was a vista problem....i thought i could delete it and make a new folder with the same name but its the same, and the files somehow remain.
Replies:
posted 08-09-09 07:30 PM EDT (US)     1 / 12  
It's not the folders EmailIn or EmailOut. They are irrelevant to autosent. You do not need a mail client like Windows Mail or ThunderBird. The game itself can act like an email client.

Google SMTP server is a secured connection and it can only be connected on port 465.

But forget about the technical details What you need is to ask your ISP their smtp server detail and you use that to send PBEM. The email address can still be your default gmail address.

The setting should be like this:

Email Address: Your PBEM address (can be any kind of email address)

SMTP server: your ISP smtp server

Attachment Directory: Leave it blank

NOTE: If you have a firewall installed (something I think it's very likely nowadays), you will have to set up your firewall to allow AOWSM to connect to internet and to act as an email client. For the 1st time run, the firewall might have a pop-up asking you what to do when AowSM wants to connect to internet and then to send email. You might not see those pop-ups because the game is in full screen. So make sure you will answer to those pop-ups if there are any.

TIP: After this you can put the incoming turns to Save folder of Aow so that when you click LOAD button on start screen, you can load your game right away. This save you a few second of clicking Scenario >> Email >>Load

Tired of manually receiving/sending your PBEM turns everyday ? Try out Dave's PBEM Wrapper!
posted 08-11-09 08:40 AM EDT (US)     2 / 12  
thx naeco, i'll give my isp a call.
posted 08-11-09 12:11 PM EDT (US)     3 / 12  
ahem...that sounds all so wonderful..but if you could explain also what my ISP smtp server is (put here an embarassed smiley...) and/or where I can find it (sorry but I´m not from yesterday but from the day before... ) this would be great at least I had the idea with saving into the save folder directly, lol...

Author of the following maps for AOWSM:
Version 1.4: DEMONWARS II (Transcendence & Immortalis)
Version 1.3: (also playable in 1.4) Gates to another World 1.4
><-><-><- Planning replaces coincidence by error. -><-><-><-
posted 08-11-09 03:16 PM EDT (US)     4 / 12  
but if you could explain also what my ISP smtp server is (put here an embarassed smiley...) and/or where I can find it
As naec0 already said, you have to ask your ISP for it...

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
posted 08-11-09 08:42 PM EDT (US)     5 / 12  
WooHoo it works! i spent maybe an hour or more trying to get it to work and all i had to do was ring my ISP. ISP is your internet provider morgul666 i was a little confused as to what is was too at first.

Oh and my provider tried to charge me for this information onto my credit card, but i was cut off. I re-rang and the automatic machine ended up giving me the address.

[This message has been edited by luna park (edited 08-11-2009 @ 08:46 PM).]

posted 08-14-09 02:29 AM EDT (US)     6 / 12  
Morgul, give your internet provider a call, they will tell you what the smtp parameter is. Or you can just do a search on Google with "smtp server" your ISP's name in search box

Tired of manually receiving/sending your PBEM turns everyday ? Try out Dave's PBEM Wrapper!
posted 08-14-09 10:55 AM EDT (US)     7 / 12  
thanks Naeco!
I already did that and I think I found what´s needed but now the question is, if or how to change the settings in ONGOING pbem´s ? Is it possible or can I only try it with the next NEW pbem game?

posted 08-14-09 05:58 PM EDT (US)     8 / 12  
You simply set it up following above instructions and choose auto instead of manual next time you play AND again, remember that your firewall might block the game from internet or from sending the mail. Give the game permission to do those things, and it will be just fine.

posted 08-17-09 02:15 AM EDT (US)     9 / 12  
Oh dear - I´m so automated in my doings... I wanted to do this 20 times already but each time when it comes to saving the turn, I simply forget that I wanted to try it out and save again in the conventional way (-> manual sending...)
I hope that I can manage to concentrate myself next time and finally get this automatism activated...
thanks for your help!!

posted 05-04-10 07:19 PM EDT (US)     10 / 12  
If I want SM to check for games, I presume I need to use an email client like Thunderbird or whatever the Windows equivalent is?

As I can't imagine what other file directory it could be.

Thanks

Euandor
posted 08-30-10 01:08 PM EDT (US)     11 / 12  
If I want SM to check for games, I presume I need to use an email client like Thunderbird or whatever the Windows equivalent is?

As I can't imagine what other file directory it could be.

Thanks

Euandor
This feature doesn't actually work like we want it to. Aow can check the available games only if the games are saved in the attachment directory (EmailIn folder). After all you will still need to download and save the game saves (with an email client or from a browser if your mail is web-based) to a folder where you can load them and play. Aow cannot check for games from mail server or from mail client.

You can check the tip in my first post of the thread for a quick way to load the PBEM.

posted 01-23-11 05:57 PM EDT (US)     12 / 12  
Dear all;

I am in the process of developing a custom application to get Autosend working again easily - through the main internet email providers like Google, Aol, Yahoo etc.

This is how it works;

I am using this thread as a quasi-dev blog, check it out if you're interested;
http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,3107,,60
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW:SM Tech Help & Bug Reporting » PBEM automation
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames