Moderated by Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Abilities Hex Edit: Healing II, and so on
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 04-15-05 07:13 PM EDT (US)   
Abilities Hex Edit: Healing II - and so on

Did someone tried to Hex-edit Abilities for unit/item ?

Some interesting effects can be achieved in that way.

And since PawelS solved CRC problem (mentioned Unit Editor in this article, now downloadable from his site), so all this applicable not only to Items Libraries (*.ail), but to UnitRes.pfs file too !
...If PawelS will be so kind as to give us re-CRC-ing program.
Just open modified UnitRes.pfs in PawelS's Unit Editor, then save - and CRC will be recalculated from scratch.

Quoted from firegolem:

interesting, than we can add or edit magic, spells, abilitys?
i would try it.

Quoted from PawelS:

The effects of spells and abilities are hard-coded in the game exe file, so if you add a new one by hex-editiong the pfs files, it will probably do nothing or the game will not work properly.

That's right, of course (unfortunately).
But experiments with .ail files (not CRC-protected) shows that it's not precisely true (fortunately) - because "work properly" is loose enough concept.
We cannot add them (still cannot even replicate), but we can at least hybridize and tweak them in many cases.
I read that thread only now (fortunately ), so i tried.

There's my little survey.

Developers for some (still unknown) reason created not just "Healing", but "Healing 1". And only "1".
Hmmm. So how about "Healing 2" ?
I can say this... now. Never seen it replenishing only 13 HP.
I hoped that it's # uses per day, but extra power is good too.
Yes, 15-30 (?) HPs is too many for ordinary healers - but, IMHO, it's proper Ability for Saints. Must have at Silver medal rank, if not from start at all. They can Resurrect, so they also supposed to be greater healers than mere Priests. And why, say, "Staff of Resurrection" item cannot do the same ?..
You cannot set it with Editor ? Ahhhh. Seems not to be greatest problem.

How about "Magic Bolts" that have normal attack properties, but causes "Paralyzed" condition if hit unit, just like "Doom Gaze", or with random effects, like "Pixie Dust" placed on Staff of Power ?..
Though not great thing, it's interesting demonstration.
And it can be useful - not as main, but as excellent auxiliary weapon (staff wielder will have something good on red move, and that's enough).

I'll tell you some things learned trough use of AoWSMEd, fc and hex-editor (Hiew) on .ail (Item Library) files as small as test-tube.

For simplification of analysis Abilities was tested with .ail-s containing only one item with only one property.

Library name length was 6 chars, item name was 5 chars (both stored in .ail files, so it's important). And picture was changed from default to bag's (length will be 93 instead of 99 if not touched).
Then entire .ail file length is 99 bytes, or 111 for some Abilities ("Enchantment-like" ones, see below).
In addition to other differences, before their "index" (see below) inserted two bytes: (1e 05).
But if normal passive ability "index" changed to enchantment-like or vice versa, it still can work somehow.

I don't know official names for this fields, but each ability have two specific fragments:

• "AbilityID"
    Size: 4 bytes.
    One with which name is associated (and corresponding properties that can be seen or set trough "Abilities" tab of AoWSMEd).
    Note: Ability Names are not present in Abilities.pfs, but found in executable files' resources (perhaps can be edited with Resource Workshop or other similiar program, but why ? There's MLD Edit...).

In hex editor, it looks like
    ........15 04 ii ii 00 00 LL ,
    where "ii ii" - Index of ability and "LL" - Ability Level (see below).

Or, for 26-byte "Enchantment-like" abilities:
    ........15 04 1E 05 ii ii 00 00 LL....
    These 2- and 4- byte sequences before index seems to be used always, so it's good marker to find.

• ClassID
    Size: 4 bytes.
    Sets behaviour and sometimes conditions for Ability.

(List moved to other message)

Try to use this ones and/or some other if you'll find them. Can be interesting.

• There's non-specific "Ability Level" unsigned byte, also useful. Last byte in all variants without (N turns) counter.
    Variable that used, explicite and accessible in "Leadership", Marksmanship", "Transport" and "Vision" abilities.
    If set to 2 for "Healing", it gives "Healing II", roughly 3x more powerful (not 2x). Maybe this disproportion was caused by "at least half HPs" patch.
    Level works correctly and reliable: even when item picked/dropped by heroes with their own "Healing I" it still works correctly - works exactly like Marksmanship # or Leadership #.

Note that simple Ability Level modification seems to be most reliable tweak at all. There's no reason to initialize it at all, right ?..

Enchantment-like abilities includes "Static Shield", "Free Movement", "Water Walking", and one of "Haste"s.
    I don't know what one of fields in 10-byte child object does, maybe just disable/enable dispelling and/or checking for maintenance - to tell procedures is such ability a result of enchantment or not ?..
    Extra record is used in game to address upkeep to actual caster, store actual upkep value, tells source (Innate / cast by Wizard / Enchantment Hall), etc.

• "Timer"
    2 fields (1 byte each) for DurationAbility (and descendants) with Turn-counter, like Cursed (N turns).
    ........15 04 28 05 29 06 ii ii 00 00 ll tt rr,
    where "tt" - number of turns (auto-set to value from "Abilities" tab for this ability) and "rr" - seems to be increment (auto-set to FFh = -1), i did not tested this yet.

Size of one ability record in Units's data structure in UnitRes.pfs seems to be
    14 bytes for simple ability,
    26 bytes for "Enchantment-like" ability.
    also found other formats:
    8 bytes for Walking (unique - index is omitted as "default") and
    20 bytes for abilities with Turn-counter, like Cursed (N turns) and for Phoenix's "Resurgence".
    Of course, Caravan ability record in game can be long - more than 360 bytes...

"Key" seems to be start of each ability record, "Ability Level" - end of short variant of record, and "Index" is placed just after "15 04" bytes that present in all ability records other than Walking, in all types of libraries (!).
    "Enchantment-like" ones have 2 extra bytes in this signature: "15 04 1E 05 ii ii ...", Level placed after zero byte just like in 14-byte records (?) and extra 10 bytes after Level.
    Turn-Counter variant have 4 extra bytes: found in Cursed (2 turns): "15 04 28 05 29 06 ii ii ..." and index itself is still compatible.

Funny thing:
    As one can see right on AoWSMEd "Abilities" tab, there's two different Resurgence abilities.
    One used in "Phoenix" and "Zombie" units - it's "Enchantment-like" (index E5 00, ClassID 13 00 11 01), other can be placed on items in editor, and it's normal-sized ability (index ED 00, key 21 00 11 01).
    Moreover, Phoenix have unique short Enchantment sub-record for Resurgence no other units (or items) have ! 4 extra bytes instead of 10 (+2 bytes of sub-header). One field is missed.

Surely basic ranged attack's Key 44 01 10 01 can be changed to 3a 00 11 01 with useful and predicable () effect - it's tested (see list).

Tips:

• Tweak-hybrid of ranged and touch abilities may cause strange results, particularly "direct access" (i.e. can deliver all Steam's attacks to one target anywhere on TC map, and so on).
    As seen from AoWSMEd "Abilities" tab, range is adjustable property of ranged attack ability, and there's no "touch range", just "touch attack abilities", so in such cases it probably will not be checked, and...

• Such mix of passive abilities with active Class probably will cause error with AoWSM crashlanding -exit if "used" (at least some of them crashes, some does not).

• Target filter (as for Healing, Control Animal, Ram, etc), if any, may be bound to ClassID or AbilityID in different cases.
  • Projectile's ballistics (and, therefore, obstacles effect) depends on the data in .fx file associated with ability.
  • Spell Casting # requires some extra data object, Spellbook, that is available for Heroes and Wizards only, not units or items - even if you'll add ability itself.
    Spell Casting causes severe bugs and/or crash if placed to unit or item.

Idea:
    Try to give unit the same ability on different levels and edit ClassID to improve it (while replacing lower Level to new, higher). If similiar Abilities are derived from multiple sources (including level upgrades), only one will work (or else Healings or Throw Spears can stack and...) With different Ability Levels all Ok, but if ClassIDs is different, will higher level prevail or not ?..
    I'll try it soon.

I cannot guarantee, of course, that any such thing will work at all and will not cause bugs or crash, or something else.
    Or that if it works at all, it will work in next version as well.
    Some combinations surely can cause AoWSM to crash.

But many other results seems to be useful for mod-making so why we must ignore this possibility ?..
    If someone already tried this trick too - please point at article or just write your survey if there's no accessible articles.

P.S/2: ...and SEN's Tools - rulez, surely. Good tool for data files exploration.
    There's two SEN's sites: webhost.kemtel.ru/~sen/, www.serje.net/sen/.
    Recently old site was synchronized, old DOS STL is removed (you may find it somewhere in Internet and i can email 4.30 shareware to STL-pack beta testers). AFAIK, there will be Win32 version of STL sooner or later, maybe soon enough - but not yet. Probably STL-pack will be released soon after Win STL (i'll convert structure definition scripts to new format). Meanwhile, my research continues.

P.P.S:
    Sorry, there was some errors. I corrected them and added ClassIDs in separate message.

I can write more details, including AbilityID list and field IDs, if interested.
    But AbilityIDs are much less important in most cases, because their corresponding abilities can be seen (and set for unit/item) in AoWSMEd.

And even I make no pretence Of having more than common sence - R.W.Wood
    The secret half a country keeps, the whisper in the lane... - R.Kipling
    [UPatch 1.4 Team] * STLpack

[This message has been edited by Turbo Beholder (edited 01-03-2006 @ 10:17 AM).]

• Replies:
    posted 04-16-05 02:24 AM EDT (US)     1 / 71  
    Very interesting!

So it seems we'll be able to add somme very interesting artifacts/relics ; Hehe maybe an "artifact library" would be created and added to the U. patch 1.4 ...

A BIG thank for your study, and to PawelS for his unique tools!

I, at least, am very interested with any tables/index/key list...
    Also can you give us a link to the tool that you have used to hex editing & bit field reading/hacking ?

Please, can you give a trivial step by step example from scratch?
    for example: How to create a healing staff with healingII

thank again!

Golem aka Gol'fleme on gamespy. Author of the GolMod
    posted 04-16-05 04:48 AM EDT (US)     2 / 71  
    this topic should be sticked..
    posted 04-16-05 03:11 PM EDT (US)     3 / 71  
    Your discoveries are very interesting indeed, Turbo Beholder.

Quote:

link to his Unit Editor is dead now

Link updated

The Unit Editor is sill "beta", but there are no known bugs in it. Setting the unit levels to 0 is not recommended, it can cause problems. The HP should be increased above 61 only for siege machines, because higher HP is in conflict with the Martyr spell.

Quote:

If PawelS will be so kind as to give us re-CRC-ing program

CRC source (C++)

I'm too lazy to create a GUI for this program

(starts investigating the Healing subject)

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
    Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
    posted 04-16-05 04:40 PM EDT (US)     4 / 71  
    Very interesting Turbo Beholder!

Since they only change the pfs-files, we can look into the possibility of implementing some of your ideas for the unofficial patch!

Can you send me your emailadress, please?
    (Swolte at gmail dot com)

~ Swolte

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
    My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
    Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
    My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
    Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
    posted 04-16-05 09:52 PM EDT (US)     5 / 71  

Quote:

Please, can you give a trivial step by step example from scratch?
    for example: How to create a healing staff with healing II

Of course. Why not ? Simplest example from my little lab:

_ Tutor : _

Go to "Map"->"Items" sub-tab of AoWSMEd.
      I'd recommend just to open personal debug map file in order to access tabs, since it's not in "Settings", it can work without any Custom Resources at all.

1. Click "Open Library" button.
    2. "Add Library".
      Window appears. Enter new name, like "Test-1".
      Empty library page appears.
      Let's create item in first slot.
    3. "New Item".
      Enter name, like "Bag-1".
      Give it only one property from any item slot type.
      For ones who don't know, access to properties is controlled by parameters on "Settings"->"Ability" tab of Resource edit.
      Let's select "Use" and property "Healing I".
      And change default picture to some other - say, "Pixie Dust" bag's (file length will be 93 instead of 99 if not touched).
    4. Press "Ok".
    5. Exit.
      ...Since it's not a very good idea to allow multiple programs to open one file without need, even if it's possible at all, right ?

Now "User" folder contains file "Test-1.ail", length = 99 bytes (or 111 if "Enchantment-like" ability was chosen, but it's better to start with simple variant).
      Since "Healing 1" was selected, "Healing 2" will be reached almost right now.

6. Open it in Hex-Editor.
      (I preferred Hiew, see below)

7. Let's find Ability Index.
      Note that Item's ability records is placed above pair of item's name and library name, now it's obvious (only 2 bytes after names).
      To edit multiple-item libraries afterwards it will be essential.

We'll see something like

00000000: 01 00 00 80-01 10 01 03-14 00 15 07-01 0B 06 54
      00000010: 65 73 74 2D-31 01 00 00-00 01 00 00-7F 01 10 01
      00000020: 08 1F 00 21-1A 22 1E 24-1F 23 23 25-29 2A 30 2B
      00000030: 31 02 1E 00-01 04 40 00-00 00 01 00-00 0F 00 11
      00000040: 01 02 14 00-15 04 2F 00-00 00 01 C4-00 00 00 00
      00000050: 01 00 00 00-05 42 61 67-2D 31 06 54-65 73 74 2D
      00000060: 31 05 0F - - -
      (total length is 063h = 99 bytes)
      in hex part of viewer's screen and

| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^@T
      | e s t - 1^^^^^^^^^^^
      | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^###
      | ^^^^^^##^^#^^^^^
      | ^^^^@B a g - 1@T e s t -
      | 1 ^^

in text column (characters that does not have text meaning nor is our targets was filtered out).
      This ability record is 14 bytes, and our possible targets is: Key, Index and Ability Level of chosen ability:

00000030: 31 02 1E 00-01 04 40 00-00 00 01 00-00 0F 00 11
      00000040: 01 02 14 00-15 04 2F 00-00 00 01 C4-00 00 00 00
      (for people with color-blind browsers: there's corresponding color marks, look at raw html code)

Just change 01 to 02, and your trial item will have "Healing II". Don't it looks too simple now ?
      Then save file if it's not saved yet.

8. Now close Hex Editor and run AoWSMEd again.

9. Open library, look at item and enjoy.
      You can test it on debug map now.

10. Now you know how this structure looks.

...and can do the same with other abilities, multy-ability items and even with multy-item files - after some simple experiments.
    Hex-editing of "Enchantment-like" abilities is more complex, but certainly also possible.

• Note that it's still shortened - increase and decrease cost and stats adjustments, then .ail file will be larger than 99 bytes.

For "proper" work of auto-cancelling abilities like Mud or Cursed, experiments with their indexes implanted in simple/"Enchantment-like" abilities can be necessary - it depends of wanted effect.
    Because in game AoWSM can remove Mud, and not only from item-wielder, but from item itself too !
    And there's can be objectionable effect - some changed item's properties can be set to default keys in next turn, or initialized by save/load.
    Unfortunately, Throw Spear with Fire... | ...bolts key is also at best unstable.

Quote:

Also can you give us a link to the tool that you have used to hex editing & bit field reading/hacking ?

"Hacker's View release VI". See below.

_ Technical Tips: _

Main methods of further experiments:
    Create two similiar .ail-s, then use file comparator (just "fc /b file1.ail file2.ail >diff_12.txt").
    If difference was just 1 letter in library and item names, difference in 3 bytes will be detected (see above, at hex/text map).
    Change item's properties in AoWSMEd, then look at files and their new differences again.
    You'll easily detect 3 mentioned variables and bytes with item's image and item slot (though there's no reason to hex-edit things that can be easily chosen from GUI).

For experiments with abilities' effects in game, create small debug map with all necessary levels.
    Place on this map all necessary heroes and items, as well as testing areas where items will be debugged (enemies, targets for wall crushing, changeable terrains, passages to UG and Shadow World, etc).
    ADD trial items to map, do not COPY from library to map's bin ! Then items will be refreshed at each start of scenario and will reflect latest library changes.

Software used:

Hiew v.6.11 (last free version) was used in my experiments.
    It's obviously intended for program files, but hex editor is nice too.
    I thought it was final version, but now found SEN's page, with v.6.86. Downloaded it to test.

And... Struct Look (up to v.4.30, freeware up to 4.21) !
    Sorely wanted tool, but not expected to found. Seems to be quite powerful.
    And with their immense possibilities, size of both tools together is less than 1 Mb !

• Beware: in Hex->"Edit" mode Hiew requires to press "Update" key to save changes, and discards them on "Esc", but "Replace" function works outside of "Edit" mode and changes file immediately. STL also can change file without save key or any warning.
    So don't forget to back up files.

Last shareware versions of Hiew and STL is only 704 and 195 kb, and unpaked kits together occupies only 1.4 Mb; old free versions is even smaller than shareware ones.
    Most of changes is either cosmetic or possibilities important mainly for very advanced users (there was not many bugs to fix) - so free versions can be used to minimize downloaded size and avoid twinges of remorse for spitting upon trial period at once.
    But registered users can use fully functional Hiew with Win32 executable and more features...
    Hiew can work with blocks, insert/delete blocks somewhere in middle of file, and have other advantages over old versions.
    Note that there's two sites: one with STL(frozen project ), and other is current, with latest versions of Hiew.

"You describe structure - STL show it!"
    *grin* *insert pump-action shotgun reload sound here*
    2 PawelS:

STL allows to edit file according to its structure and to edit structure definition file itself right in its window, then apply, look, edit again...
    And it can work with variant structures, which is essential for .ail files (ability record structure and size varies, see first article). I'm not sure that it can change one variant to another, but desired structure can be created in AoWSMEd, then edit its fields in STL...
    I propose to use STL's format "file.stl" for all minor works with such structures as conventional - just like UGPM script is now.

Perhaps we'll have nice .stl-files with text descriptions of some interesting formats (like ail.stl) soon ?..
    I want to participate - as soon as start to understand how to work with such formats.
    But my ail.stl already can work with some parts of header and record structures,
    and even able to discern 14-byte ability record from 26-byte one !

Who want to work on ail.stl too and one for UnitRes.pfs ?
    Mod developers, would you like to receive it via email when done ?
    Or it even can be placed here, then message edited with up-to-date version (But... I'll totally behemo... flood up this thread then ) ?
    I would place it on my homepage... but hasn't yet created page itself... still...

P.S.
    Unknown hero who first hit upon an idea to supplement default OS-s packgages with file comparators apparently done very good deed.
    Thanks to PawelS for his programs.
    And thanks to SEN for his little and powerful tools !

P.S./2 Imagine, how loud AoW developers laughs at it all right now...
    2 Developers: please, write little program that will show somewhere (perhaps over IDE's window header) messages like "make it explicit", "make it adjustable", "make it editable" and "is it expandable enough ?" in random order - and launch it each time you write some part of AoW.
    All other is good enough, thank you all.
    And, BTW, any possible problems about which half of Forums talks now... abything but purely engine troubles will be solved in 1.01 patch with minimal efforts, really.

P.P.S.
    U-u-ups. Excuse me. Re-edited again. Off-hand slips, like one with omitted selection of item picture (that caused experimental .ail length to be 93 instead of typical 99) and saving (actually, AoWSMEd automaticaly saves .ail files) is corrected now.
    I was confused when realized at last that for unknown reason one-ability .ail-s created as only 93 bytes long now, believe me.

[This message has been edited by Turbo Beholder (edited 04-19-2005 @ 08:59 PM).]

• posted 04-17-05 10:05 AM EDT (US)     6 / 71  
    I just downloaded StructLook, I'll try to define the structure of PFS files.

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
    posted 04-19-05 03:12 AM EDT (US)     7 / 71  
    Turbo Beholder, this is awesome. This one deserve to be a sticky.

I do not have a full understanding of what you are doing here yet, but pls give us posted here. When I get time (say a few hours), I'd definitely investigate on it.

There are a few abilities I aways want. E.g.

1) Healing 2
    2) Group travel
    Say "Forest Guide" will grant all units in stack "Forestry"
    3) Tunnuel that work on Hard rock
    4) Make Metamorphsis, Dragon Growth, Changeling more flexible in term of what is beling evolved
    5) Spell Casting I for units
    6) Animate Dead 2 that gives more HP

Is 2-6 possible?

Climber's Generic MOD v2.x for AOWSM can be downloaded here

Devs please read & implement Concised Wishes Nice to have Wishes for AOWSM Playing Race(es) vs Wizard Ehancing existing units in AOWSM

posted 04-19-05 05:06 AM EDT (US)     8 / 71  
    Turbo Beholder: THANK!
    Your example was very clear.

Curently, I'm playing with STL/diff too trying to put a "staff of curing" with healingII into a mod resource.

once again thx for this thread!

Have a nice day

Golem aka Gol'fleme on gamespy. Author of the GolMod
    posted 04-19-05 02:30 PM EDT (US)     9 / 71  
    7) similar to 2), is it possible to Add the ability 'Vampirism"?
    All units in the stack will be all granted "Seduce, Undead". This will be a good ability for my VampireLord unit in ClimberMOD.

Can these changes to ability, applies to Units?

Climber's Generic MOD v2.x for AOWSM can be downloaded here

Devs please read & implement Concised Wishes Nice to have Wishes for AOWSM Playing Race(es) vs Wizard Ehancing existing units in AOWSM

[This message has been edited by Climber (edited 04-19-2005 @ 02:32 PM).]

posted 04-19-05 08:42 PM EDT (US)     10 / 71  
    I just made some experiments with abilities gratned to entire party, and the results are negative. The abilities are given to units PERMANENTLY, and sometimes the game crashes

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
    posted 04-19-05 10:36 PM EDT (US)     11 / 71  
    Ok, i'll dedicate this 3-rd article to implementations.

Both tested/proven effects and just ideas/suggestions.

Quote:

trying to put a "staff of curing" with healingII into a mod resource

So you have to recalculate CRC (with PawelS's program) ?

BTW, why we really need to create "artifact" items in resources, if .ail libraries works good already ?
    Units/Heroes resources cannot be placed in library, so .pfs change is really necessary, but not with items...

Quote:

2) Group travel

He-he... Tested with Shadow Shift.
    And there was bugs, but some passive abilities perhaps will work smooth. I'll test it.
    I mentioned "Phantom Ship" unit with "Transport #"(perhaps Lvl 3-5) and grantable "Undead" and "Physical Protection". It will be tested too.

The same with "grantable" Shadow Walking.

"Guardian Spirit":
    Unit with some protective effect, perhaps Blessed, tweaked to Leadership # key.
    But Blessed is enchantment effect and therefore enchantment-like ability (it's tested: added in AoWSMEd and viewed), their special keys still unknown and it can be unstable if index placed in short ability record (but change itself is possible).
    Yes, i'm Old Good "MoM"'s fan too.

Quote:

is it possible to Add the ability 'Vampirism"?

Perhaps we cannot add new, even similiar to existing (cannot say for sure - still don't know structure of "Abilities.pfs" so cannot start experiments), but we can tweak others, existing...

Quote:

All units in the stack will be all granted "Seduce, Undead". This will be a good ability for my VampireLord unit in ClimberMOD.

...Maybe it will be temporary, maybe permanent.
    And for ALL units that can be affected by Leadership. Do you really want it works that way ?..

Quote:

Can these changes to ability, applies to Units?

Doubtlessly. File structures is different, but used Ability records structure itself is exactly the same.
    Though we have to recalculate CRC for "unitres.pfs" (see in first article, about PawelS program).
    Just open and save, and it will be recalculated.

Quote:

I don't think there is any Ability that would be worth anything, where it wouldn't be unbalancing to give it to a Unit permanently just by putting that Unit in a particular stack once.

Why "would be unbalancing" abilities like Cursed (N turns) ?
    Undead... is not always clean bonus... they're turnable.
    And even in other cases such ability to "putting in particular stack" can be just very hard to obtain.
    What about unit with Level raised over 4 (by PawelS's Unit Editor) and appropriate cost, Mov 4, Transport I, and grantable ... Protection or Shadow Walker ?..
    And, moreover, who said that it can be built in City at all ?

• __
    Someone wants to try things like creation of unit that can "Build Roads" ONLY trough Earth hexes instead of simple "Tunneling" ?
    With "Bombard" or "Hurl Firebomb" that Paralyzes victim ?
    Unit or Item that turns entire party to "Crusader"s ?
    Or gives "Undead", "Physical Protection" and "Energy Drain" (at least "Undead" perhaps will be used in my "Phantom Ship" unit).
    Unit that can "Build Outpost" only on hexes where "Shadow Shift" is possible ?

Item "...of Shadow Magic" with "Spell Casting #" ability twisted to Shadow Shift's Key ?
    Or "Doom Gaze" ability with Pixie Dust's random effect ?
    Good ability for us Beholders, IMO.
    Unfortunately, Pixie Dust's Behavior_Key gives (3/3) uses per day, so perhaps AI will always use all 3 attacks at once as soon as possible, but this modification can be useful anyway.

• __

(Anything sensible), Ability Level 1 -> N
    - perhaps most stable type of Hex-Ed tweaks.

Very recommended to test:
    To upgrade ability without touching others (especially, ranged attacks), add the same ability to unit's higher ranks, just like Vision # or Leadership #, then adjust their Ab.Levels. IMO, must work always, though without indication.
    First tested on Poison Darts - Increases +2 Att, +1 Dam per point; and no problems found so far.
    I'll prefer this upgrade in many cases, since Marksmanship gives +1/+1 per grade, it's +2/+2 per two grades - and archer will be turned to Ballista instead of sniper if we'll give him more Marksmanship points !

Magic Bolts (Key -> Doom Gaze)
    - one of my first hex-tweaks, it's checked, no problems found.

Venomous Spit (Key -> Doom Gaze)
    - seems to be faultless too.
    (They said: "cohesive goo"... he-he)

(basic ranged attack), (Key -> Pixie Dust (3/3))
    - but not stable, will be initialized with ability defaults, so key will be lost,
    if you can avoid it, write.

• Crooked abilities estimated applications :

Powerful enough item:
    Flame Thrower
    Fire Bolts (normal)
    Fire Breath (normal)
    Venomous Spit (Key changed -> Doom Gaze)
    Blowing-down mode.

...or less powerful
    Pitch Blower
    Venomous Spit (Key changed -> Doom Gaze)
    Marksmanship I (Key is passive, or you really want to see how it crashes ?)
    or
    Pitch Thrower
    Fire Bolts (Key -> Doom Gaze)
    They stuck AND incinerated now...
    Spitting Retort
    Venomous Spit (Key -> Pixie Dust (3/3))
    Laboratory can be VERY unhealty place, but also useful.
    Staff of Resurrection
    Resurrection (normal)
    Holy Strike (normal)
    Healing (Level 1 -> 2 )
    ? Holy Protection (normal)
    Res +1
    Item Type= itAttack
    Staff of Power
    Spell Casting 1 (normal)
    Magic Strike (normal)
    Dispel Magic (normal)
    Magic Bolts (Key -> Doom Gaze)
    ? Magic Protection (normal)
    Res +1
    Item Type= itAttack
    Orb of Power
    Casting Specialist (normal)
    Magic Relay (normal)
    Res +1
    Item Type= itDefence | itUse
    Rift Crystals
    Casting Specialist (normal)
    Magic Bolts (Key -> Pixie Dust (3/3))
    ? Res +3
    Item Type= itDefence
    Rainbow Crystals
    Magic Bolts (Key -> Pixie Dust (3/3))
    Throw Blade (Key -> Pixie Dust (3/3))
    or
    ? Res +3
    Item Type= itDefence
    Shining Ice Shards
    Frost Bolts (Key -> Pixie Dust (3/3))

____

• Units and misc. abilities

Hurl FireBomb (Key -> Doom Gaze)
    For Pitchball Thrower, or perhaps just variant function for some catapults.

Bombard (Key -> Doom Gaze)
    He-he. "Sticky bit"...

Shoot Black Javelin (Key -> Pixie Dust (3/3))
    good variant for Witch's curse throwing - can be strong, long- or extralong-range, but limited to 3 uses/day.

Frost Bolts (Key -> Pixie Dust (3/3))
    Poison Darts (Key -> Pixie Dust (3/3))

• Needs to be checked:
    If Att/Dam upgrades is not directly coded as unit.level-dependent but just auto-added to appropriate records in "Unitres.pfs" as "imlpied default properties"...
    Then we can override them with explicit values and Unit's upgrades can be adjusted individually...
    Or Unit can be deprived of Attack upgrades altogether, set manually to Attack=0, +Charge="Battering Ram" unit that works correctly (?).

[This message has been edited by Turbo Beholder (edited 04-21-2005 @ 10:18 PM).]

• posted 04-20-05 03:19 AM EDT (US)     12 / 71  
    If the ability spell casting and a spell would work on a unit would be great.

Is it possible to change the upkeep of units?

posted 04-20-05 07:49 AM EDT (US)     13 / 71  
    As far as it has been explored so far, Spell Casting cannot be given to units by any means. Once the non-hero unit has it, the game crashes the first time the unit is selected in tactical combat.

PawelS, in what situations does giving abilites to the whole party crash the game? Giving the abilities permanently might be acceptable for some abilities, causing crashes will not. Have you checked whether the ability is still there when you save and load the game?

Moreover, has anyone checked what bytes activate the "expires after combat" effect? I need a "permanent mud" effect for one modded unit, and simply giving the unit "mud" has effect for one combat only.

I have three days' holiday nexte weekend, so I'll manage to give my contribution to the experimenting if I can.

Paolo Guccione
    Alephtar Games
    posted 04-20-05 03:52 PM EDT (US)     14 / 71  

Quote:

Giving the abilities permanently might be acceptable for some abilities,

Like what?

I don't think there is any Ability that would be worth anything, where it wouldn't be unbalancing to give it to a Unit permanently just by putting that Unit in a particular stack once.

It is roaming the depths in eternal hunger, devouring all and everything, far from the light, lost in the shadows, alone, wandering, searching, evermore...
    posted 04-20-05 04:15 PM EDT (US)     15 / 71  
    Is it possible to make ignition/fire strike cause damage every every time it goes off?

Is it possible to make burn do extra damage if it removes webbed status D&D style?

posted 04-21-05 05:04 PM EDT (US)     16 / 71  
    It would be cool if physical strike could be seperated from the rest. So only poison strike could be used instead of the need of "strike" to have poison strike. So it will only check resistance, not defense and then resistance.

And if ranged attack that have physical strike also could have other attacks than only physical and magic. Like death, holy or poison damage.

And someone said this in another thread: to make fire halos ignition a real ignition so units who have it won't be able to get webbed.

posted 04-21-05 09:06 PM EDT (US)     17 / 71  
    Troubles

Quote:

Moreover, has anyone checked what bytes activate the "expires after combat" effect? I need a "permanent mud" effect for one modded unit, and simply giving the unit "mud" has effect for one combat only.

Exactly the same problem.
    I mentioned this trouble in previous article - if placed on item, it can be removed even from item, not only from hero,
    Wanted "Iron Golem Suit" item - Physical Protection, Charge, Mud (seems to be only way to hinder movement), +Stats.

But perhaps it's not some "bytes" but ability itself is initialized on some events.
    Say, if Energe Drained (N rounds) is not expired, on exit from TC it will be found and cleaned anyway.
    Though there's must be some counter anyway...
    I'll examine it too.

Already tried to add some Enchantment ability and change its ability index as i proposed ? Seems to be more stable. What happens ? Was it auto-initialized, and on which events ?

Quote:

4) Make Metamorphsis, Dragon Growth, Changeling more flexible in term of what is beling evolved

...Draconian Growth and Infected.
    IMO, Kharagh's description is right,
    at least about such abilities. Seems to be hard-coded.
    Since appropriate UnitIndexes is not found in "Ability.pfs" records, not to say they not present in "Unitres.pfs".

Quote:

I just made some experiments with abilities gratned to entire party, and the results are negative. The abilities are given to units PERMANENTLY, and sometimes the game crashes

Hmm. AoWSM Patch v. = 1.2 ? 1.3 ? Mail such details, and i'll look upon it too.
    They did something with Leadership # in patches - esp. in 1.3.
    What abilities was changed to Leadership # key ?

Passive (36 01 10 01) ? Active ? Enchantment indexes placed in short records ?
    Perhaps different groups should work differently.

It's really unstable change, and must be tested again and again - though "bestowed abilities is permanent" effect itself can be useful too - sometimes.
    And it surely crashes sometimes without obvious provocation.
    Maybe, there's some rule or even stable detour ?..

I'll test it with Infected, abilities with counter like Cursed (N turns) (or Shadow Walking (N turns)).
    It's interesting, will it grant counter abilities correctly ?..

Just tested item of Dark Gift with key changed to Leadership (if in enchatments records key is first bytes too).
    Nothing happens... at all. Dark Gift works on hero with item, but not bestowed. And not crashed too.

Quote:

5) Spell Casting I for units

??? *confuse* But it can be set in AoWSMEd. Any ability that set to "astUnit" can be added to unit, right ?
    Creation of item or unit with Spell Casting # and pre-set spell (like Heroes that have Spell Casting # in libraries), is more complex operation (though seems to be solvable). One of my current tasks.

Quote:

As far as it has been explored so far, Spell Casting cannot be given to units by any means. Once the non-hero unit has it, the game crashes the first time the unit is selected in tactical combat.

Hmmm. Still not really tested it because of my inclination to experiments with small .ail files. If placed on item it causes bugs too.
    But when Heroes.pfs is backed up and starting spell for one ot Heroes is changed from either existing or "none" to something, some strange changes appears.
    I'll say can such special additional record be placed on item or non-hero unit or not at least after experiments with PawelS new format definition file.
    If it can, perhaps this can prevent crashes with units and bugs with items...

Quote:

Is it possible to make ignition/fire strike cause damage every every time it goes off?

Is it known that some ability in AoW2/SM can do something (not to say attack procedure) every time it goes off ?..

Quote:

It would be cool if physical strike could be seperated from the rest. So only poison strike could be used instead of the need of "strike" to have poison strike. So it will only check resistance, not defense and then resistance.

Yes. But "Strike" and "... Strike" functions is different.

Quote:

"Bestows ... damage upon the Unit's attacks"
    "Allows the Unit to engage an Enemy in Melee during Combat."

IMHO, their Behavior Keys controls retaliation and maybe "implied action" status of "Strike" too (though "clean" archers have ranged attack as default... less priority ?), but i haven't tested Strike's key-tweaks yet.
    And in "Abilities.pfs" their records seems to be quite different too.

So we have to create 1-2 new abilities to do it.
    And since structure of "Abilities.pfs" is not known yet, i cannot say exactly, can it be possible or not, but perhaps its more hardcoded than changeable.
    If we'll able to create new abilities similiar to existing, but adjusted, there's will be more changes,
    Some records in "Abilities.pfs" seems to be long enough to contain more than few fields of data shown in AoWSMEd...
    And only if those records is not only number/bitfield parameters, but actually refers to things that coded ini execs by their numbers, and readed by execs without strictly defined table sizes, etc - perhaps something can be done...

posted 04-21-05 09:35 PM EDT (US)     18 / 71  

Quote:

It would be cool if physical strike could be seperated from the rest.

How badly do you (as a modder) want this? Are you willing to sacrifice Magic Strike, Bolts, etc as a separate Ability?

I have an idea, but I thought it better to open a new topic.

It is roaming the depths in eternal hunger, devouring all and everything, far from the light, lost in the shadows, alone, wandering, searching, evermore...

[This message has been edited by ZombieEater (edited 04-21-2005 @ 09:43 PM).]

posted 04-22-05 03:11 AM EDT (US)     19 / 71  
    I would like to be able to change global spells to become combat spells. Or make combat spell available to cast in global map and global spells in combat.
    posted 04-22-05 10:47 AM EDT (US)     20 / 71  
    Spell Casting cannot be given to normal units, event though it looks like it is possible in the editor. I have experimented with it, and I remember I was not the only one. It's a shame, but this is how it works

WRT other abilities, there are some "unused" abilities (Lightning bolts, Gas breath, Entangle strike and the like) that can be tweaked and then added to the available abilities. Of course some MODs already make use of these, so using them may be disruptive anyway.

Paolo Guccione
    Alephtar Games
    posted 04-22-05 11:29 AM EDT (US)     21 / 71  
    Can Seduce, Dominate, etc. be made usable more than once per day?
    posted 04-22-05 08:01 PM EDT (US)     22 / 71  
    Can Infection spell now do some Poison Damage? Can Invisibility lower the chance of getting hit? Can Protections be made more usefull--at least can they completely negate Weaknesses? Can Mastery spells be made unique?
    posted 04-24-05 04:42 PM EDT (US)     23 / 71  
    Can the resurrect ability be made to autoresurrect a dead unit at the end of battle if you haven't used it before then?
    posted 04-25-05 02:27 PM EDT (US)     24 / 71  
    Can dispel be made to work on seduced, dominated etc units? Could a special free from control ability (or what ever you want to name it) be made to put onto units? Such a ability would be perfect for saints.
    posted 04-26-05 04:23 PM EDT (US)     25 / 71  
    Is Hiew v.6.86 freeware or shareware so it will expire?

There is Hiew v.6.87, check http://webhost.kemtel.ru/~sen/

Is it not possible to make a new ability by copying all code from one ability to another ability where you have deleted all changes?

[This message has been edited by Tearion (edited 04-27-2005 @ 03:44 AM).]

posted 04-27-05 07:42 AM EDT (US)     26 / 71  

Quoted from Tearion:

Is it not possible to make a new ability by copying all code from one ability to another ability where you have deleted all changes?

It is not so simple. But I believe it can be done after we have done the appropriate tinkering with the .pfs files. Turbo Beholder found some interesting clues, so it is clear that there must be a solution.

Some of the effects are hard coded in the Delphi classes. Code cannot be copied from one class to another as you suggested, Tearion. So we should be limited to changing whatever the devs choose to parameterize in Delphi properties with the published visibility type. But there is always another way...

[blow away dust from old Turbo Pascal manual]

IIRC, when a Delphi object is loaded into memory from its file storage format, the first bytes in the "saved" record represent the unique identifier of the class the object belongs to. The loader code then "guesses" the correct class from the id and calls the class's appropriate constructor to load the object data from file.

Well, if the data schema of two different classes is the same (same number and ordering of fields), one can trick Delphi into believing that an object is of a different class than it was when it was stored to file: you just have to hex edit the class id, which is usually a plain 32-bit integer. This is the equivalent of copying the code, but only works when the two classes have the same data structure, otherwise the game crashes. I did the trick in the early 90's with old versions of Borland Pascal, so it is possible that we can do something similar with Delphi now. I'll try and experiment as soon as I have some spare time, and I suspect that PawelS already has some clues, too.

Note that this is not the same as the ability tinkering that is currently under experimentation. Turbo Beholder has discovered some peculiarities that were not hard coded in the classes but parameterized in the record structure.

Paolo Guccione
    Alephtar Games
    posted 04-27-05 09:18 PM EDT (US)     27 / 71  
    There are no class identifiers in the ability.pfs file, although I believe that what Turbo Beholder calls "key" (it appears in item files, unitres.pfs etc.) is actually the class id, so the last paragraph of Rosen's post is not true. Every instance of an ability on an item or unit can be "disguised" by using an id of another ability class, sometimes with unpredictable effects.

I had no time to tinker with abilities lately (due to my work on the unofficial patch), but expect some detailed reports soon.

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
    posted 04-28-05 07:54 AM EDT (US)     28 / 71  

Quoted from PawelS:

There are no class identifiers in the ability.pfs file, although I believe that what Turbo Beholder calls "key" (it appears in item files, unitres.pfs etc.) is actually the class id, so the last paragraph of Rosen's post is not true.

Quoted from PawelS:

Every instance of an ability on an item or unit can be "disguised" by using an id of another ability class, sometimes with unpredictable effects.

Hmmm, does this mean that what I called "tricking Delphi into believing a class is in fact another class" is exactly what Turbo Beholder did? This could explain the crashes you mentioned.

Now that you pointed it out, TB's "key" looks a lot like the old good class IDs that are used in Borland Pascal to load/store objects from files. The high bytes are always 01 00, 0110, 0111, 2100 etc., assigned manually, as hex constants, at the start of the Delphi unit that contains the class. The low bytes are what actually identifies the ability within the source code unit, and they tend to assume all possible values, since a unit can contain a lot of classes.

Quoted from PawelS:

I had no time to tinker with abilities lately (due to my work on the unofficial patch), but expect some detailed reports soon.

Is the Ability.pfs file hex-editable with the knowledge we have now? I have not yet tried any tinkering myself for the same reason, i.e. lack of time , but maybe I can try on saturday.

Ok, PawelS and Turbo Beholder. Let me see if I got the picture before venturing into the dangerous domain of hex editing.

1) units do not have the ability ID attached to them but the whole ability record (reminds me of my old Delphi programming style, so I can understand why); code ensures an ability is not attached twice to a unit in the editor.

2) the ability record includes the ABILITY ID (TB calls it index), used to associate resource strings & the like, and the CLASS ID (TB calls it key), used to attach the correct VMT at runtime (VMT is Virtual Method Table for non-OOP-geeks).

3) TB's trick appears to change the CLASS ID, actually changing the VMT at runtime; this is exactly what I used to do some 12 years ago, so I can understand how it works, and why it sometimes does not work.

4) Some abilities share the same class ID, i.e. they belong to the same Delphi class and differ for their data content only.

Do you agree about this?

And, last but not least: mods, may we discuss this here?

Paolo Guccione
    Alephtar Games

[This message has been edited by RosenMcStern (edited 04-28-2005 @ 08:30 AM).]

posted 04-28-05 10:39 AM EDT (US)     29 / 71  
    You're right

BTW there's nothing interesting in Ability.pfs (only "properties" that are changeable in the editor). You can try to add some properties (like stat modifiers) to some abilities, but I doubt if they would work.

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
    posted 05-02-05 08:14 AM EDT (US)     30 / 71  
    I have experimented somehow with Hex editing. I discovered nothing significant in addition to what PawelS and TB did last week.

Contrary to my last post, I think the 2-byte field that TB called the “Key” is not the class ID. The two bytes just after the 15-04 sequence (or the 15 04 1E 05) is the class ID (called “index” by Turbo Beholder) – it is not the same as the resource ID in the ability.pfs file - or at least the Ability ID whereas the Class ID is unreachable.

It is possible that the “Key” field represents the ID of an “executor” class that is attached to the ability and is invoker by the ability to perform certain actions – namely applying itself to the unit or checking the results of an attack. This explains why you can achieve the same effects as “Pixie Dust” or “Doom Gaze” by changing the “executor” code – notice that it replaces the damage calculation routine thoroughly. Unfortunately only a limited set of these executors are compatible with one another, and some are apparently compatible but cause crashes and malfunctions. Frex, if you give the “Throw spear” executor to another ranged attack and the unit already has Throw Spear, the “Throw Spear” ability is marked as used after the other ability has been used!

Anything that has an attack value can be increased in level, even Dominate. The attack goes up by +2 per level. This means that Charm can be reproduced by giving dominate a lower attack value and manually increasing the level for the sphinx and the Evil Eye. Unfortunately, only Healing reveals the actual level of the ability in the name, so you cannot tell whether a unit has Turn Undead I or Turn Undead IV. Since I discovered that there is no limit to an ability’s level, this can lead to unpleasant discoveries during battles: I created Hurl Lightning 32 and I could almost smell the roasted Goblins…

Anyone has more interesting discoveries?

Last but not least: TB, I experimented with giving round attack “wall damage” and could reproduce the Battering Ram effect you wanted. It is a bit strange, since it attacks two sections of a wall, but it works. Oughta give the unit Wall Crushing instead of Strike, too.

Finally: Turbo Beholder, could you give me your personal email? I swear I’ll not spam you, it is just that this discussion is becoming too techinical to keep it on a forum.

Paolo Guccione
    Alephtar Games
    posted 05-02-05 06:14 PM EDT (US)     31 / 71  

Quoted from PawelS:

There are no class identifiers in the ability.pfs file, although I believe that what Turbo Beholder calls "key" (it appears in item files, unitres.pfs etc.) is actually the class id, so the last paragraph of Rosen's post is not true.

Maybe.
    And "Index" is bound with both Ability record in .pfs and unique Name (as you know, not in record).

BTW.
    I must say that i'm biased to use data structures "abstractly", even if they resemble or even approved to be standart ones.
    Even "Behavior Key"/"Ability Index" terminology was chosen for its most "functional-descriptive" style.

Any program i'll write will work with structure and pointers (and pointer tables) through procedures declared and implemented in custom library, if there's will not be more serious reason to do it otherwise than just presence of similiar methods in built-in libraries.
    I even hope your programs will do the same.

Quoted from RosenMcStern:

Is the Ability.pfs file hex-editable with the knowledge we have now?
    I have not yet tried any tinkering myself for the same reason,

Structure is still unknown for me, but IMHO it can be described and used... sooner or later.

IMO, our real task - whatever we can call it - in fact is creation of new resource editor(s) without known limitations of AoWSMEd, and perhaps more adjustable too.
    "Adjustable", of course, includes optional validators as well as other filters and templates.
    So all resources can become more accessible sooner or later.

I already stopped my custom "what-if" experimentsand started to write program.
    STL is very good for exploration, and PawelS wrote nice .stl, and i'm slightly enhanced this .stl too, but with real editor all such experiments will be faster anyway.

code ensures an ability is not attached twice to a unit in the editor

Not precisely. It just cannot be attached twice in one ability set "nest" (Basic-Silver-Gold).
    Thanks to PawelS to discovering this structures too.

So we should be limited to changing whatever the devs choose to parameterize
    in Delphi properties with the published visibility type.
    But there is always another way...

Perhaps.

only works when the two classes have the same data structure, otherwise the game crashes

Of course. E.g. Spell Casting # have different structure and therefore it caused crashes if placed on unit or item.

But game crashes sometimes even if all data difference is key|index values... Methods seems to be unable to work correctly if called with "incorrect" argument values (passive ability vs. active) ?..

And works "correctly" in every respect with different data structures in file.
    E.g. with "Enchantment-like" record with extra-subheader "1E 05" and extra-subrecord addressed by this "05"(thanks to PawelS again).
    Or even without "necessary" subrecords of "turn-timer" parameters (abilities like Cursed).

Turbo Beholder, could you give me your personal email?

Wrote mail right now. Sorry for delay.

I swear I'll not spam you, it is just that this discussion is becoming too techinical to keep it on a forum.

[This message has been edited by Turbo Beholder (edited 05-02-2005 @ 09:35 PM).]

posted 05-03-05 03:12 PM EDT (US)     32 / 71  
    nm

[This message has been edited by Tearion (edited 06-24-2005 @ 08:27 AM).]

posted 06-16-05 07:23 PM EDT (US)     33 / 71  
    Whyy do certain spells effect physical range (like holy champion) but but others don't? If we could get a answer to that we might be able to make those that don't effect physical range, to effect it.

Some examples of spells I've been told do not effect physical range- Fury, oily skin, dark gift (I just refer to its bonus to its +1, +1, bonus not death damage) and blinding flash.

What would be involved with getting shadow sickness to effect physical range? Or does it already?

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 06-16-2005 @ 07:24 PM).]

posted 06-19-05 10:54 AM EDT (US)     34 / 71  
    nm

[This message has been edited by Tearion (edited 07-06-2005 @ 05:41 PM).]

posted 06-19-05 11:02 AM EDT (US)     35 / 71  
    Turbo Beholder, PawelS or RosenMcStern can you try to make a unit that is enchanted with fire halo not possible for the unit to get webbed. I think you will have to put fire strike and ignition into fire halo to make it work.
    posted 06-24-05 07:39 AM EDT (US)     36 / 71  

Quoted from Tearion:

Turbo Beholder, PawelS or RosenMcStern can you try to make a unit that is enchanted with fire halo not possible for the unit to get webbed. I think you will have to put fire strike and ignition into fire halo to make it work.

Unfortunately, it is totally impossible to modify the basic characteristics of an ability in means that are not allowed by the editor. If you peruse this thread carefully, you will understand that all changes proposed here are valid only for the ability that the particular unit possesses. If priests in the patch gain Healing II at silver, it does not mean that you will see Healing II in the Unit Editor.

Besides, I think the modification you request needs code changes.

Paolo Guccione
    Alephtar Games
    posted 06-24-05 08:27 AM EDT (US)     37 / 71  
    I see.. I thought that only applied to artifacts.
    posted 06-24-05 08:37 AM EDT (US)     38 / 71  

Quoted from Tearion:

I see.. I thought that only applied to artifacts.

Nope. Changing the UnitRes.pfs file is slightly more complicate than hex-editing a .ail file, but only because it is much bigger. Alas, this is the only thing we can do, as in the Air Galley mod proposed by Swolte. We have not found any way to change an ability itself, AFAIK, since the Ability.pfs file contains only data that can be changed in the editor, too.

Paolo Guccione
    Alephtar Games
    posted 06-25-05 01:17 PM EDT (US)     39 / 71  

Changing the UnitRes.pfs file is slightly more complicate than hex-editing a .ail file, but only because it is much bigger.

Also, you have to update the CRC (last four bytes) after editing the pfs files.

Creator of the AoW1 Mod.

[This message has been edited by PawelS (edited 06-25-2005 @ 01:17 PM).]

posted 08-10-05 09:14 AM EDT (US)     40 / 71  
    *blows dust off the topic*

I was wondering whether it is possible to edit the Spells - not through the Editor (tested and it is not possible) but through Hex-editing.
    Say, I want to change the Spell classification from Global to Combat or even make a particular spell have an Area effect (should have the radius field in the spell description) - is it possible to do so by editing the spells.pfs file?.

The reason I am asking here is - TB and PawelS have apparently deciphered the structure of the .pfs file using STL. Is that correct?. Also, has anyone done any experimentation with anything other than Abilities?.

Further, some spells have interesting differences. Eg: Chain Lightning and Fireball. Both have the same field names and shots/radius for CL is 5/3 and for fireball is 1/2. So, why does CL affect units selectively while fireball affects all units in that radius?. Are these hardcoded in the game exe?.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Mod Making » Abilities Hex Edit: Healing II, and so on
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames