You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2/SM Mod Making
Moderated by Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Migrating mods to MP Evolution patch (guide)
posted 09-06-11 11:50 AM EDT (US)   
Let's say you are a mod author and want to use all cool features of the MP Evolution patch. Good news: A. MPE supports modding in the same way SM does, so it's very possible; B. You don't need to recreate the mod from scratch, you just need to correct the most critical things, and this is a fairly simple process. Here's the guide that will walk you through it.
  1. Copy your mod folder from %aowdir%\User\Resources to %aowdir%\MP Evolution.

2. Remove Build watch tower from all the units: it's called Dig adit now and builds an underground gateway instead of a watch tower.

3. Remove Crusader from all the units and give them Willpower instead. Crusader is called Snow wanderer now and nullifies snow speed penalty, while no longer providing Willpower.

4. Adjust the skill pick costs. You now have 2 skill picks at start instead of 1, and some skills have gained new features, so your might want to reconsider skill balance. Also keep in mind that click-on-the-wizard-before-customizing trick is not working anymore.

5. Get rid of all abilities with level < 1: they are not supported anymore. If you have units or items with weaker versions of some abilities and you achieved this by setting ability level to zero or a negative number, you should decrease main ability Atk/Dmg enough so Ability I will match the lowest Atk/Dmg you need, and give all units with this ability more levels to compensate that. Don't forget that this is applied to items as well.

This might sound a bit convoluted, so here's example: let's say you have Pixie dust with Atk/Dmg = 16/8, Fairy dragon with Pixie dust I (16/8) and Fairy with Pixie dust -1 (12/6). You set Pixie dust to 12/6, give Fairy dragon Pixie dust III and give Fairy Pixie dust I.

6. Adjust Block level for the units: Block I now dives +2 Def instead of +5 Def, so you might want to increase ability level to II (+4 Def) or III (+6 Def) for some (probably even most of the) units.

7. Delete slots 0-9 of all unit rewards.. Spirit rewards start from slot 0 now, not from 10 (easy: 0-9, average: 10-19, hard: 20-29).

8. Consider giving Frostling (or whatever race you have instead of them) units and heroes Snow wanderer. Snow - their native terrain - slows units down now, and Snow wanderer allows units to move with normal speed on it (Snow Wanderer II speeds them up on snow, just like Cave crawling in the underground).

9. Consider giving Nomads (or whatever race you have instead of them) a small gold bonus: they can't grow crops any longer (we gave them 8/16/24/24 bonus in MPE default resources).

10. Consider moving some Cosmos spells to the Common sphere. Cosmos sphere spells are now available to cosmos wizards only, and Common sphere spells are available to all the wizards (like cosmos spells were before).

11. Consider removing Fire halo from unit upgrades, replacing it with Fire immunity and/or Ignition. Fire halo gives unit Cold weakness now, which you might not want for an upgrade.

12. Consider removing Liquid form from unit upgrades, replacing it with Water walking and/or Physical protection. Liquid form gives unit Fire weakness and Water concealment now, which you might not want for an upgrade.

13. I strongly advice going through the MPE changelog: it will give you the info about some new possibilities you might want to use and another mechanics improvements you might want to react on in your mod.
A little note, just in case it's not obvious: you should use MPE editor for the procedure, no the SM one. And after step 1 you should make copied mod active in MPE settings, not in the SM ones.

Author of the post is not responsible for any side effects of reading it, including mental trauma, blown up brains, hurt feelings, law violation, sudden death or understanding what the hell author meant.
---------------
Twitter
MP Evolution 2.0 | Lab break 1.0
Replies:
posted 09-06-11 12:25 PM EDT (US)     1 / 21  
5. Get rid of all abilities with level < 1: they are not supported anymore. If you have units or items with weaker versions of some abilities and you achieved this by setting ability level to zero or a negative number, you should decrease main ability Atk/Dmg enough so Ability I will match the lowest Atk/Dmg you need, and give all units with this ability more levels to compensate that. Don't forget that this is applied to items as well.
This can cause problems with heroes - while heroes that start with these abilities can have them at higher levels like units, learning a new ability when gaining a level will give a weaker version to heroes than before. This also applies to Block, which has the first level weaker than the old version.

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
posted 09-06-11 12:34 PM EDT (US)     2 / 21  
I know little about moding but since I do not receive my turns, I'll write something anyway
@PawelS: I think you can compensate that by twicking the upgrade costs of the abilities (and making all the levels available in the options list where possible?)

Spell check failed - not enough mana
posted 09-06-11 01:35 PM EDT (US)     3 / 21  
Unfortunately, there's no another workaround. So we will fix the heroes problem directly: it will be possible to set up initial levels for hero upgrades. Until then, there's not much we can do: the current situation is better than Dominate 254, isn't it?

Author of the post is not responsible for any side effects of reading it, including mental trauma, blown up brains, hurt feelings, law violation, sudden death or understanding what the hell author meant.
---------------
Twitter
posted 09-06-11 01:49 PM EDT (US)     4 / 21  
I'm kind of interested in migrating Strange Lands mod to the MPE patch, but I foresee several problems.. (also I'm hoping you could remove the range penalty from heroes by the next patch )

I could post some of the issues in some detail soon.

Maker of the CoMA and Strange Lands mods.
Check out the AoW Chatroom
posted 09-14-11 04:33 AM EDT (US)     5 / 21  
HB, I wonder if MPE patch was built on top of UPatch1.4.
If all the extra stuff the UPatch introduced is present, we can play all the existing UPatch 1.4 maps with MPE, and not only 1.3 compatible ones. Can we?

posted 09-14-11 05:07 AM EDT (US)     6 / 21  
Yes, all uPatch things are there. There's just one important note: nomads' Slaver and Elephant rider had there IDs swapped, so every placed on the map Slaver is Elephant now and vice versa. This may sound weird, but they were misplaced in the first place (probably even in official patches), and the correct order had to be restored to fix a very serious issue this little misplacement was causing in random maps.

So all you have to do is to resave map using MPE editor and swap manually slavers and elephants. (I think one day there will be a converter that does the last thing automatically, but for now my knowledge of the map file format is just not sufficient to create such tool)

---------------
Twitter
posted 09-15-11 04:04 AM EDT (US)     7 / 21  

Just curious, I created a simple mod with MP 1.5.120 and just changed some building requirements.
Then I upgraded to the latest MP 1.5.141 version.
However, if I start my mod now I don't get the spell theme scenarios if I create a custom wizard at the start and select a spell sphere. The window just stays empty.
I only changed some building requirements village, town, etc. in the mod, so nothing critical.

Are there any compatibility problems if I try to start a mod that was created with an older MP version?

Note: I didn't try this when I had still 1.5.120 installed, so it might be another problem. But I've no idea what could cause the spell theme scenarios to vanish...
posted 09-15-11 06:12 AM EDT (US)     8 / 21  
That's odd. Send me your mod (contacts are in my profile) so I can determine what exactly the problem is.

---------------
Twitter
posted 09-15-11 06:14 AM EDT (US)     9 / 21  
Thanks, I'll send it when I'm back from work. :-)
posted 09-15-11 02:26 PM EDT (US)     10 / 21  
Ah, I got it =) I was confused because I misinterpreted your post.

This is easy: these missing things are in fact parts of a map, and every map has a mod ID associated with it. So when you try to load a map using a different mod (not one it was saved with), the map doesn't load - that's exactly what's happening here. It's not an MPE issue, AoW has been always working this way.

There is a workaround: you can open this map with the editor and resave it (it's located in %aowdir\Resource\Maps\sphrMPE.ahm). After you do it, the sphere map will be displayed correctly in your mod, but it will fail to load under any other mod obviously.

---------------
Twitter

[This message has been edited by HellBrick (edited 09-16-2011 @ 03:00 AM).]

posted 09-15-11 03:11 PM EDT (US)     11 / 21  

Ah, that makes sense. I also tried Dwiggs 4.0 and it had the same problem.
Somehow never noticed that before...

Thanks for clarifying Hellbrick.
posted 09-23-11 11:55 AM EDT (US)     12 / 21  
Ok, so the issues..

1) I'd prefer not to swap "build watch tower" with "dig adit". Somehow I feel this digging ability seems too powerful sneaking weapon, especially if UG is entirely diggable.

2) The Crusader ability is already in use in SL mod, and I'd prefer to keep it as it is. It currently gives immunity to drain will in addition to willpower and is important ability for some high tier units in SL mod.

3) I'd prefer keeping the "wizard customizing trick" in SL where you get to choose the "body" and abilities of your wizard in addition to the wizard skills. It seems to me and some players as a feature, not a problem to be fixed..

4) While the increased cost of buying independent units seem like a good change, I think the increase is too much in MPE. Or at least for SL mod, where many recruits are lvl 4 or higher. I'd prefer if the cost was default for lvl 1 & 2 units, +25% for lvl 3, and +50% for lvl 4 and up. That way it would be worthwhile purchasing low level units from recruit sites and less tempting to buy high levels.

5) The wizard skill changes aren't very compatible with SL mod. At least Pacifist and Conqueror would be better the way they were, because there are powerful morphing abilities in play. Also I'd prefer Bureaucrat the way it was.

But there is so many plus sides in migrating to MPE patch, it might be worth it even without solving any of these issues. Things like diggable UG, unit / hero ability level system, various bug fixes etc are all very nice. Still, it would be nicer if at least some of these things could be addressed. I suppose only way would be to reverse engineer some of your changes? I would probably need to make bit altered version of the MPE-executable anyways, for the altered racial structure abilities, correct names on stuff, increased wall hitpoints etc..

Griff

Maker of the CoMA and Strange Lands mods.
Check out the AoW Chatroom

[This message has been edited by Griffith (edited 09-23-2011 @ 04:58 PM).]

posted 09-23-11 01:14 PM EDT (US)     13 / 21  
1) I'd prefer not to swap "build watch tower" with "dig adit". Somehow I feel this digging ability seems too powerful sneaking weapon, especially if UG is entirely diggable.
That's easy - just don't give Dig adit to anyone =) Creating this ability was one of the most difficult things we did, and it's just as difficult to reverse this (not to mention that I don't remember how it was done in the first place =))
2) The Crusader ability is already in use in SL mod, and I'd prefer to keep it as it is. It currently gives immunity to drain will in addition to willpower and is important ability for some high tier units in SL mod.
Hmm... As a workaround, you can try to use another lame ability for this masking and combine it with Willpower. Charmed, for example - I'm not sure that it hasn't any effect though. Or Shadow walking - that's a bit odd, but if only really powerful creatures are gonna have the undrainable Willpower, it probably won't really hurt them to be immune to the shadow sickness.
3) I'd prefer keeping the "wizard customizing trick" in SL where you get to choose the "body" and abilities of your wizard in addition to the wizard skills. It seems to me and some players as a feature, not a problem to be fixed..
4) While the increased cost of buying independent units seem like a good change, I think the increase is too much in MPE. Or at least for SL mod, where many recruits are lvl 4 or higher. I'd prefer if the cost was default for lvl 1 & 2 units, +25% for lvl 3, and +50% for lvl 4 and up. That way it would be worthwhile purchasing low level units from recruit sites and less tempting to buy high levels.
5) The wizard skill changes aren't very compatible with SL mod. At least Pacifist and Conqueror would be better the way they were, because there are powerful morphing abilities in play.
These all are about modifying the constants (starting skillpicks amount for wizards / price modifiers / etc.) - it's fairly easy to tweak them. If you email me or contact me in any other way, I can tell you where these things are located.
Also I'd prefer Bureaucrat the way it was.
No way back here, sorry.

---------------
Twitter

[This message has been edited by HellBrick (edited 09-23-2011 @ 01:16 PM).]

posted 09-23-11 02:14 PM EDT (US)     14 / 21  
Hiya,

I know this probably won't happen, but I think it would be great if a version of MP patch was released which didn't include all the various mod-type changes, but just the new features and fixes. I think it's great what you guys have accomplished and while I would dearly like to access all the cool stuff in MP patch, some of the changes that were made I don't want. The previous poster mentioned some of these and I would add things like some enchantments now giving weakness (I really can't see spending mana and upkeep to give your own units weaknesses!), the reduced mana income of races etc. After all, one of the big reasons people make mods is to be able to make the changes they want and not have to accept changes other mod-makers have made.

Don't get me wrong though, I greatly admire the work you guys are doing and look forward to future releases.

Cheers!

Kirky
posted 09-23-11 06:03 PM EDT (US)     15 / 21  
The next version will be focused on extending the modding capabilities, so almost everything we did will be moved to the resources so these things can be tweaked or disabled. New stuff will be still introduced in default resources though

---------------
Twitter

[This message has been edited by HellBrick (edited 09-23-2011 @ 06:06 PM).]

posted 09-24-11 00:37 AM EDT (US)     16 / 21  
That sounds great!

Thanks.

Kirky
posted 09-24-11 04:33 PM EDT (US)     17 / 21  
I think the same as Kirky.

For me some things in MPE are a true "no-go" but the bugfixes and many other cool things are great.

This is indeed very nice to read HellBrick.
The number of downloaded patches will raise if you let the modder or player decide what they like and what not.

AoWSM Maps: 1. Marlenes Welt 2. Marlenes Schatten 3. Marlenes Gnade
Up.1.4 Maps: 4. Secrets of Marlenia (UPatch 1.4 Map - update) 5. Gates of Elocin - Part I (Mapmaking Competition - Winning Map) 6. Davidīs Winter Wonderland 7. Fairy Wedding
8. Marleneīs_Laughter 9. The Gods Arena Of Magic And Power 10. The_Wilderness 11. Kayland (AoW I Mod) 12. Mia-Mina_&_The_Seadrake
11. AoW I Sound Set for AoWSM 12. Gentleman Rules Set
Need Help? The Conqueror's Fieldguide to The Groll's Universe
Proud member of the Upatch 1.4, 1.5 & 1.6 Team
posted 10-14-11 05:04 PM EDT (US)     18 / 21  
OK, there is one more issue with migrating - a Druids Circle recruitment site in UPatch map disappeared when saved under MPE. Click on the hex in MPE Editor produces error message, something like "Resource not found TDruidsCircle 1286". There is a Druids Circle in MPE which looks exactly the same, but the conversion fails.

posted 10-14-11 06:27 PM EDT (US)     19 / 21  
Can you tell the details: name of the map and coordinates of the buggy structure?

---------------
Twitter
posted 10-14-11 08:20 PM EDT (US)     20 / 21  
http://aow2.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=895
83, 59, 0

posted 10-15-11 03:57 AM EDT (US)     21 / 21  
I got it. It's a bug: in the long chain of mods that lead to MPE default resources someone cut the druid circle and then pasted it back into the same slot. Have no idea why would someone do this...

Anyway, nice catch! We'll fix it.

---------------
Twitter
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Mod Making » Migrating mods to MP Evolution patch (guide)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames