AoW2/SM Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder
Moderated by Timelord, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Preparation: upcoming 2010 PBEM Tournament
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 07-31-10 08:27 PM EDT (US)   
The yearly 2010 1v1 PBEM tournament will start soon and we need your help in its preparation!

For now, we need to recruit map-testers for maps that we may use for the tournament.

Game 1: Hope's End (Charx vs PawelS) - *Done*
Game 2: Hope's End (Roger vs Charx) -
Game 3: Sea of Sand (Morgul666 vs Bluebaby) - *Done*
Game 4: UpNUnder (iBobs vs H6) - *Done*
Game 5: UpNUnder (Oleg vs iBobs) - *Done*
Game 6: Oceania (Bluebaby vs Unnapu) - *Done*
Game 7: Oceania (PawelS vs Roger) - *Done*
Game 8: Sea of Sand (Roger vs PawelS) - *Done*
Game 9: Oceania (Bajadulce vs Castanieda) - *Done*
Game 10: UpNUnder (Roger vs Bluebaby) -
Game 11: Hope's End (Oleg vs H6) - *Done*
Game 12: Elementmo (SMUki vs Timelord -

Maptester requirements
- Able to play turns with a very high frequency (> twice/day, on average).
- Able to make detailed notes on issues that arise with the map.
- Send Swolte turns (and brief notes - optional) every 5 ingame days.
- Send Swolte a general commentary on the map when the game is over or the tournament starts.

=========================================================
Interested? Please post your email+timezone in this thread and tell me how many games you want to be involved in (maximum). I will then send you the tournament version of the map when it is ready and set up the games with an opponent.
=========================================================

FAQ:
Q- Do I need to log my turns for tournament maptesting on the forums?
A- No need to, but go ahead if you like to. It would help if you make some sort of private strategy log that you can send me.

Q- If the tournament starts so soon, will I have time to finish the testgame?!
A- It is possible you may not finish the testgame before the tournament starts. Especially if it is a 'bad' tournament map that takes 20+ days to finish. In that case we will use your impression of the map up to that point for feedback.

Q- Must I password protect my turns?
A- Not strictly necessary for this. If you do password protect, please send me the password (swolte@gmail dot com) so I can open your turns, or use 'testgame' as password.

Q- I like to play this map *blind* (e.g., not look in the editor).
A- You are recommended to play it like you would a tournament game. In my opinion, it would be silly not to study the map beforehand in the editor at least somewhat (if you are serious about winning!). Also, there are valuable comments to be gained from studying the map in the editor we need to know!

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008

[This message has been edited by Swolte (edited 08-29-2010 @ 01:23 PM).]

Replies:
posted 07-31-10 09:32 PM EDT (US)     1 / 71  
Especially if it is a 'bad' tournament map that takes 20+ days to finish.
That's what I call a good tournament map

Playing a game that ends in less than 20 days is not that much fun - some game elements, like building structures in cities and researching more than just basic spells, are almost completely pointless. The 20 days limit (well, maybe it's not a hard limit, but maps that make most games end in less than 20 days are considered 'good') also means that my map probably won't be used in the tournament (also it's probably unbalanced) But I guess this limit is there for a reason, and it's not based on your personal preference (I know that you like early rushes ), but you want the games to end within a reasonable timeframe.

OK, enough complaining, I sign up as a map tester

I can play up to two games at a time.
Email: pstrz at o2 dot pl
Alternative email: pawels.aow at gmail dot com
Timezone: GMT+1 (but I tend to wake up at go to sleep at strange times, as the time of this post suggests )

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.

[This message has been edited by PawelS (edited 07-31-2010 @ 09:34 PM).]

posted 07-31-10 09:47 PM EDT (US)     2 / 71  
I could be a tester if you wanted

rogerforward gmail com

GMT

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
posted 08-01-10 03:38 AM EDT (US)     3 / 71  
As pbemīs are anyhow still quite slow since several weeks I think I could also offer assistance.
GMT+1 and max 2 games(maps) please. I can play only in the late afternoons/eventings.
Kimmuriel at GMX dot de

Oh, and since I (at least) plan & hope to participate on the tourney, donīt expect strategic feedback

Author of the following maps for AOWSM:
Version 1.4: DEMONWARS II (Transcendence & Immortalis)
Version 1.3: (also playable in 1.4) Gates to another World 1.4
><-><-><- Planning replaces coincidence by error. -><-><-><-

[This message has been edited by morgul666 (edited 08-01-2010 @ 03:39 AM).]

posted 08-01-10 03:59 AM EDT (US)     4 / 71  
I can help.
posted 08-01-10 01:58 PM EDT (US)     5 / 71  
I want to second Pawel in his comment about ideal number of turns. As far as I have seen the top maps from the competition, it seems either a shame or rather improbable to end them within 20 turns.

I suggest to make sure that tournament maps are easy to understand by ordinary players, by selecting the proper ones or by making them simpler where required. It should be observed that there are casual players who love to show up in tournaments and who might not be used to work with the editor and read events e.g.

-->
I can play either 2 test-games with one turn per day or one test-game with 2 turns a day. More is not possible.
posted 08-01-10 02:47 PM EDT (US)     6 / 71  
I am ready for a testplay, two games X 1 turn a day at least, but please - not the 4 first places of the last tourney runners. If last year tourney format is used this year, I am sure there will be one or two other maps chosen for the first round.

Spell check failed - not enough mana
posted 08-02-10 00:11 AM EDT (US)     7 / 71  
I have sent out two games on Hope's End against the mapmaker Charx.

Game 1: Hope's End (Charx vs PawelS)
Game 2: Hope's End (Roger vs Charx)

More games will follow hopefully tomorrow. Please continue signing up: the more the better!

No more than 20+ turns is an average. Like PawelS suggested, it is simply a practical limitation of organizing a large and lengthy PBEM tournament. You will see, btw, that the previous tournament had MOST games ending sooner than 20+ turns with terribly exciting games, including building strategies.

My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 08-02-10 10:41 PM EDT (US)     8 / 71  
I have sent out another game. Today I have worked on my own tournament version of the Sea of Sand. I am not sure whether it will be used for the 1st rounds, but it will be used anyway.

Game 3: Sea of Sand (Morgul666 vs Bluebaby)

Hopefully will be able to set up two games on UpNUnder next!

posted 08-03-10 02:30 AM EDT (US)     9 / 71  
I'd like to sign up for a test game. I'm not sure I can play every single day, but on the days I can play I should be able to do multiple turns.

Thanks!
posted 08-03-10 08:20 AM EDT (US)     10 / 71  
Count me in
posted 08-03-10 10:02 AM EDT (US)     11 / 71  

Game 4: UpNUnder (iBobs vs H6)
Game 5: UpNUnder (Oleg vs iBobs)

Great, keep it coming!

posted 08-03-10 11:26 AM EDT (US)     12 / 71  
hhh, me and ibobs could just send you impressions of our already played game well, let's do it again

Spell check failed - not enough mana
posted 08-03-10 12:33 PM EDT (US)     13 / 71  
My feedback is that it is a rubbish map that is totally biased towards the other player that is not me!!

Signed - Embarrassed to lose on my own map...
posted 08-03-10 08:31 PM EDT (US)     14 / 71  
Oh, I didn't realize you both had already played a game on that map! I guess it can't hurt... especially if you try a different strategy. And there have been some changes to the tournament version.
Although, maybe it can hurt for iBobs if he loses again.

Tomorrow I hope to set up some games on Oceania, but I still need to hear back from the author. Will go ahead if he doesn't reply soon.

The show must go on!

[This message has been edited by Swolte (edited 08-03-2010 @ 11:39 PM).]

posted 08-03-10 11:17 PM EDT (US)     15 / 71  
I'd like to help, sign me in for one game.

Use a password in your PBEM games, and contact the Game Password Keepers.
posted 08-04-10 02:14 AM EDT (US)     16 / 71  
I changed my mind, I can play a second game! - Set me up against Unnapu on Oceania, this way I can send him chatty messages.
posted 08-04-10 10:05 PM EDT (US)     17 / 71  

Game 6: Oceania (Bluebaby vs Unnapu)
Game 7: Oceania (PawelS vs Roger)

So two more games on Oceania are underway. And sorry, Unnapu!

Already the Hope's End games are providing very useful feedback. Hoping to hear more from the others soon!

So far, it seems that for the first rounds, maps like Hope's End, UpNUnder, as well as Oceania are good candidates.

posted 08-06-10 01:18 AM EDT (US)     18 / 71  
No problem Swolte, I am ok with some friendly conversation .

I started to "prepare the match" against Bluebaby this afternoon by building an Oceania's test map. I tried to make it as similar as possible in terms of guards and spells to the first turn I received today. I closed the Editor when finished and returned to my usual (boring) daily tasks .

Very late tonight I opened the game to play a few turns in single player. What a great job I did, because the test map looked alike...
I got a huge smile on my face when I finished Day 1 in "single player" and a box with Bluebaby's email address appeared instead of Day 2
Sorry for the off-topic short story. Let's have some good games.

Use a password in your PBEM games, and contact the Game Password Keepers.
posted 08-06-10 02:10 AM EDT (US)     19 / 71  
What does he mean: "Sorry Unnapu!" ?
Are you sure you want me to testplay?
posted 08-06-10 10:55 AM EDT (US)     20 / 71  
Oh, I thought you intended to annoy him with "chatty messages". Regardless of any misinterpreted intentions, please do get going on testing. And it's great having you on board with this, BB (does that also mean you will compete?).

One testgame has ended (Oceania with PawelS vs Roger). Great feedback, guys!

posted 08-07-10 02:29 AM EDT (US)     21 / 71  
Hm .. (mumbling something indistinguishable) .. Thanks for clarifying! Yes, I intended to participate in the run.

[This message has been edited by Bluebaby (edited 08-07-2010 @ 04:25 AM).]

posted 08-09-10 10:39 PM EDT (US)     22 / 71  

Game 6: Oceania (Bluebaby vs Unnapu)
Game 7: Oceania (PawelS vs Roger)
Game 8: Sea of Sand (Roger vs PawelS)

Added another game between Roger and PawelS cause the last one ended so soon. This time on the Sea of Sand, already modified by some of the feedback and turns received from BB and Morgul.

posted 08-10-10 06:54 AM EDT (US)     23 / 71  
seems you forgot about me, tstststs
posted 08-10-10 09:20 AM EDT (US)     24 / 71  
*Gasp* I did! You're on the next one for sure!

posted 08-10-10 12:38 PM EDT (US)     25 / 71  
Been playin a bit of the Hope's End in Single Player and it is a fun map. Lots of moves for just the first turn! Anywho, I'm pretty newb, but would like to contribute to the tournament any way I could whether help testing or being fodder for round one. Unfortunately, I've never played a PBEM.

Checked out a few of last years maps as well such as the Great Divide one and now see what I have been missing out on. Fun stuff.

Been trying to get a few other players at a small SCraft AI site (http://www.broodwarai.com) to play some AOW2 as well and might start a small thread there linking this tournament/site as well. Thnx for keeping gems like this game alive with energy.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Competitions, Tournaments & Wizard's Ladder » Preparation: upcoming 2010 PBEM Tournament
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames