AoW1 Play By Email (Turn Logs)
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: WL Battle for Olympus - GillB v Unicorn77
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
posted 09-28-03 06:09 PM EDT (US)   
GillB takes Dwarves, Unicorn77 takes Elves.
Replies:
posted 09-28-03 06:10 PM EDT (US)     1 / 130  
Elves Day 1

Spreading out in the usual fashion. Unusually, there is not an income problem to solve.

posted 09-28-03 06:22 PM EDT (US)     2 / 130  
Dwarves Day 1
Hephaestus set out to explore his underground kingdom with a new, and expensive, addition to the party. Much gold and mana was found and not a lot else as yet.

'Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened' Moving Pictures
posted 09-29-03 12:50 PM EDT (US)     3 / 130  
Elves Day 2

Well, without any expensive party additions, we can afford to buy a nice piece of 3 hex property. And spread out as rapidly as possible. Unfortunately, our main party takes a wrong turn.

posted 09-29-03 01:10 PM EDT (US)     4 / 130  
Dwarves Day 2
I suppose we should be grateful for having had the opportunity to buy assistance, but it plays havoc with our money chest ... especially when the individual concerned also takes a wrong turn and becomes separated from his compatriots.

'Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened' Moving Pictures
posted 09-29-03 01:27 PM EDT (US)     5 / 130  
Elves Day 3

Starting to get a better view of our realm. Lot's of hoofwork to do now! Found a bit of gold, which was nice.

posted 09-29-03 01:53 PM EDT (US)     6 / 130  
Dwarves Day 3
Darn it. Our flying scout was ambushed by some other flyers which I thought were out of range. Or I should say ex flying scout. That's a bit of a blow with all the islands around.

We wish we had longer legs - there's a lot of underground to look at ...

posted 09-29-03 02:31 PM EDT (US)     7 / 130  
Dwarves Day 4
More exploring and ending up not quite where we wanted to be - next to some rather strong indies. We hope we have the strength to defeat them if they attack overnight.

posted 09-29-03 02:35 PM EDT (US)     8 / 130  
Elves Day 4.

Our flying scout survives. Not much else to report.

posted 09-29-03 03:17 PM EDT (US)     9 / 130  
Elves Day 5

Our hero gets some action! One strike replenishes her health, entangles, freezes and damages an opponent! Could be an interesting time building her up.

posted 09-29-03 05:30 PM EDT (US)     10 / 130  
Dwarves Day 5
Firstly, apologies for restart. I was half concentrating on the computer & half to my daughter & managed to save the file to disk twice.

We never learn ... one would assume that an indie dwarf would be happy to see us and be waiting for us to arrive ... but nooo. It plays at 'look how many silly dwarves I can kill when they're asleep. Hmph.

We assume the elves have found a lair or treasure trove of some sort. We're still looking as our heroes definitely need something done to them. Finding a wizard's tower selling healing water or remedy would be good too ...

posted 09-29-03 05:57 PM EDT (US)     11 / 130  
Elves Day 6

We find a walled one hex nasty city and manage to tempt the occupants out by use of our fairy. Two fall to our heroine (who starts with cold and entangle strike plus life stealing - we shall go away into that editor thingy and see what Mr. Dwarf has). Now we go on towards a bad looking stack containing an orc warlord. He who dares.....

Edit 1 - no problem with the restart (actually, didn't notice it!)

Edit 2 - Hephythingyastus has cold strike and lightning strike as well as lif stealing, so that's fairly even. I think entangle strike is better than lightning strike though, because it lasts longer and reduces defence. Maybe it's not got such a good chance of hitting, dunno.

[This message has been edited by unicorn77 (edited 09-29-2003 @ 06:03 PM).]

posted 09-29-03 06:22 PM EDT (US)     12 / 130  
Dwarves Day 6
No action, just a lot of moving. Our legs are so small and the land is so big And Hephaestus is puffing and blowing as if he'd just run a Marathon. Let's hope he gets a night's rest with no irritating attacks.

posted 09-29-03 06:31 PM EDT (US)     13 / 130  
Elves Day 7

Our fairy goes forth and spies a nice pile of mana, next to it being some powerful guards, an NE and two unicorns. The fairy grabs the goods and dances teasingly over the heads of the silly creatures.

Our main stack ventures slightly forward so as not to provoke the warlord and friends. Tomorrow we shall have a go at them, hopefully.

Really tomorrow, good night!

posted 09-30-03 03:47 PM EDT (US)     14 / 130  
Elves Day 8

Ahhh. We seem to have misjudged the orc warlord. Now our stack and hero is dead, and our hopes are pretty much doomed.

posted 09-30-03 05:25 PM EDT (US)     15 / 130  
Dwarves Day 8
We're sorry to hear about the Elves' hero. We rather think we went about things back to front right from the beginning. Trying to put them right now but it will take a few days.

posted 09-30-03 06:24 PM EDT (US)     16 / 130  
Dwarves Day 9
Still trying to catch up on earlier errors.

posted 09-30-03 07:05 PM EDT (US)     17 / 130  
Elves Day 9

Our fairy buys a city from under the noses of an advancing 12 strong frostling force including a level 7 hero. As we now have a nymph we charge into battle with odds of 2 to 1 against us in the hope the nymph can have a swipe at the hero. Unfortunately, he appears to be immune! But surprisingly, we go on to win the battle easily due to some even weirder AI tactics than usual.

Elves Day 10

Our victorious invasion force goes on to take another frostling city. Sadly, our ranks are now somewhat depleted, so a counterattack from a 4 hex could be a problem. On the other hand, the 4 hex presents a nice opportunity if we survice a few days.

posted 09-30-03 07:20 PM EDT (US)     18 / 130  
Dwarves Day 10
Somewhere in them thar mountains are 2 irritating yeti. They seem to find it fun to pick off an odd unit or small stack every night. And now they've vanished again ...

posted 10-01-03 07:59 AM EDT (US)     19 / 130  
Elves Day 11

Not sure whether to pinch some dark elf resources with my fairy. Decided not to, and send her off elsewhere.

Building up as fast as possible in frostling lands.

posted 10-01-03 08:09 AM EDT (US)     20 / 130  
Dwarves Day 11
We found the yeti ... but a move too far. Hope they treat our heroes kindly in the night.

posted 10-01-03 10:52 AM EDT (US)     21 / 130  
Elves Day 12

Indies in forstling lands causing trouble - one scout gone, and we can't afford scouts!

Looks like our fairy may give us a foothold elsewhere, too.

Our "hero" gets a massive 2 xp and a shipyard. We stay well clear of the orc warlord.

posted 10-01-03 11:14 AM EDT (US)     22 / 130  
Dwarves Day 12
Well the yeti attacked and my giant was killed. My two heroes survived - one with only one hitpoint. So no decent units left apart from my debilitated heroes, an air elemental that won't have damage inflicted on it by any of our units and a generally depressed army.

posted 10-01-03 01:23 PM EDT (US)     23 / 130  
Elves Day 13

Yes, difficult times! I think I played this before with leaders on, which at least allowed faster progress.

But another outpost joins the empire!

Although another scout dies.

posted 10-01-03 01:42 PM EDT (US)     24 / 130  
Dwarves Day 13
Not wanting to sound Monty Pythonesque ... but 'you've got scouts ... you're lucky. We'd kill for scouts'.

Meanwhile we continue exploring ... but may have made a very big mistake underground.

posted 10-01-03 02:07 PM EDT (US)     25 / 130  
Elves Day 14

Thinking about it, playing with leaders shouldn't be that different, because the leaders were all replaced with equivalent heros, I think. What I probably meant, was playing with that hero allowed faster progress!

Anyway, our empire expands again, due to the far flung fairy. So I'm getting used to a virtually heroless approach, and it's quite fun!

Also, the frostlings have much reduced their 4 hex garrison, so maybe next turn or so we can have a go at it!

posted 10-01-03 02:15 PM EDT (US)     26 / 130  
Dwarves Day 14
A sad day for the dwarves. We lost our leader, Hephaestus, overnight to a yaka avatar that we hadn't spotted.

The only good thing from today is that the rogue giant was killed.

/edit And if we were playing with leaders on, I'd have just lost ... so I'm rather glad we're not

[This message has been edited by GillB (edited 10-01-2003 @ 02:29 PM).]

posted 10-01-03 02:50 PM EDT (US)     27 / 130  
Elves Day 15

No! You would have already won, on about day 6!

And the culprits of that little episode are STILL causing me problems! We advanced somewhat ready for a two pronged attack, and they sprang forward and kille our smaller party. So we just have to wait again.

We move towards the frostling 4 hex.

posted 10-01-03 04:10 PM EDT (US)     28 / 130  
Dwarves Day 15
Oh rats ... I forgot that. It would've been a very short game then

Well that was one absolutely disastrous night. That mistake I thought I'd made underground ... well, it was a severe mistake. I'm already regretting it and it can only get worse.

posted 10-01-03 04:44 PM EDT (US)     29 / 130  
Elves Day 16

Well, things are going OK on the elven front. We take the frostling 4 hex fairly easily, but there is a yeti and a whole bunch of ballistas right outside our new walls. As virtually all our troops survived, albeit with a few injuries, we think we might hold if they attack, but we very much hope they go away.

posted 10-01-03 05:33 PM EDT (US)     30 / 130  
Dwarves Day 16
I guess we didn't want a hero-centric game ... and we certainly haven't got one

We suffer more overnight losses but at least the yaka avatar is no more and we get fewer every day.

We did spot a monster lair which we will reach tomorrow ... but are rather wary about exploring it.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Play By Email (Turn Logs) » WL Battle for Olympus - GillB v Unicorn77
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames