You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW1 Play By Email (Turn Logs)
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Riverland Wars (Sir Wulf, Gillb, Thorongil, Jerk)
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 11-02-05 02:42 PM EDT (US)   
Game's been started and sent to Sir Wulf. Good Luck to you all...

ThEJeRk

My Hotmailaccount sometimes fills up. Please try this adress if that happens: aow2mail@yahoo.se

Replies:
posted 11-02-05 07:36 PM EDT (US)     1 / 86  
Halflings - Day 1

And so it begins. The once peaceful towns of halflings rush to our cause. No more shall the religious nuts, the twisted malcontents and the spawn of Hades get in the way of order, commerce and having a good party. Armies and towns join up (albeit at a cost to our treasury), and the first skirmish ends with what may well be an important possession in our hands with no loss. Ahead we can see what may be another friendly town to 'persuade' to join up with us.

For truth!
For valour!
For decent law-abiding folk!
For goodness sake, did you forget the beer again?

Turn sent to GillB

And I hope you guys will be patient with me if I do anything daft, dumb, or bad. I know enough though to not restart games if things do not go my way on FC

------------------------

Halflings - Day 2

Our foes remain silent (though in at least one case it is probably through fatigue after spending ages helping me with the mechanics of PBEM, thanks GillB). Methinks they doth cower before the dread might of the 3' high warriors before them Either that ot they are letting me have enough rope before hanging me by it.

After yesterdays aquisitions, today sees a distinct lack of money. New cities, both friendly and otherwise come into view, but with neither seige equipment nor piles of cash, they must be bypassed in favour of more lightly defended sites.

Turn sent to GillB

"Wee free men!"
"There can only be one t'ousand!"
"Ach stick it up yer trakkans!"

[This message has been edited by Sir Wulf (edited 11-03-2005 @ 04:58 PM).]

posted 11-03-05 06:20 PM EDT (US)     2 / 86  
Highmen

Somewhat belated 2 day report. We spent lots of gold - nice to have some to spend for once Have lots of plans - hope they come to fruition ... Things generally going well ... but we may live to regret saying that.

'Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened' Moving Pictures
posted 11-03-05 11:36 PM EDT (US)     3 / 86  
Hmm...we move around on our little peninsula...unfortunately it seems to be full of eunachs, as our ladies of pain fail all over the place...worthless minions.

sent

If you've come for a visit, you'd be welcome with fewer, if you've come to take me away, you'll need a lot more.
posted 11-04-05 07:07 AM EDT (US)     4 / 86  
Halflings - Day 3

The expansion continues apace, only slowed by a lack of funds to purchase the alleigance of friendly cities. Ahead we see a well defended goblin 3 hex, that will have to wait until we have brought up some heavy artillery. An Undead 2 hex looks ripe for the plucking though.

And in political news, first contact was made with another nation. We have encountered the humans, though what they make of us I do not know. I guess we'll find out next turn. But our forces have taken up a powerful blocking position lest they become unfriendly.

Those that do not remember history are doomed to repeat it
Those that do not remember history *correctly* are just doomed.

Turn sent to GillB

posted 11-04-05 09:03 AM EDT (US)     5 / 86  
Highmen
Broke, but happy, we explore.

'Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened' Moving Pictures
posted 11-06-05 12:28 PM EDT (US)     6 / 86  
Halflings - Day 4

Our forces home in on the undead city. Next turn it shall be ours! Meanwhile reinforcements arrive to deal with the Goblins next door.

Alas, the Big Folk decided to be unfriendly and declare war upon us. We retaliated this act of aggression by stealing one of their farms. Our blocking force increases in size, and soon we may be able to go on the offense against them.

I wonder how soon until we spy another human player. I have a feeling the undeads are quite close by. No reports from The Jerk yet though.

Turn sent to GillB

When your head is level with your opponent's waist, it just means it is easier to hit them in the crotch.

(NB: I presume TC is allowed against AI opponents?)

[This message has been edited by Sir Wulf (edited 11-06-2005 @ 12:31 PM).]

posted 11-06-05 12:46 PM EDT (US)     7 / 86  

Quote:

NB: I presume TC is allowed against AI opponents?

Yes

Highmen
Somewhat regretting previous overspending ... but still expanding.

posted 11-06-05 01:34 PM EDT (US)     8 / 86  
Still moving around, killed a few dwarves, but not much else happening. Things are progressing slowly.

sent to Jerk. Sir Wulf, I'd suggest that if you haven't already done so, that you download the map and take a look at it in the editor.

If you've come for a visit, you'd be welcome with fewer, if you've come to take me away, you'll need a lot more.
posted 11-06-05 02:15 PM EDT (US)     9 / 86  
Halflings - Day 5

Success! A city of undeads falls to us, albeit with some loss. Next turn we shall purchase the alleigance of some pointy-eared folk, and thus our incursion into the lands of the humans shall begin. We are somewhat worried by spotting that they have an altar with which to attack us. But we have plans afoot to deal with that.

Elsewhere we encounter a third race, the orcs. Unlike with the humans we have no doubts as to how they will feel about us, and more troops are hastening to the area to bolster our defenses.

Turn sent to GillB

It is always good to have an opponent who is willing to die for their cause. That means you both have the same aim in mind

(NB: Upon reading the PBEM rules and ettiquette, I was given to understand that having a look at the game via an editor was a bit, well, like cheating.)

posted 11-06-05 02:34 PM EDT (US)     10 / 86  
It's generally thought of as cheating during the game, I think. But I'm pretty sure that the other 3 of us have all played this map before as a pbem, so it would only be fair for you to at least have a look at it.

Highmen
Lost a valkyrie exploring a ruin ... wretched bats ... a severe loss for now. Frostlings have appeared on the scene - in force.

posted 11-06-05 03:44 PM EDT (US)     11 / 86  
I have probably played this map 20 times. Any of you should be able to peek in the editor without feeling bad about it...

A short summmary of Undead doings the first turns:

We've had som good fortune and som bad luck. No neighbours of friendly alignment other than a small Dark Elven settlement and we see some strong Elven units heading our way. On the bright side tho - we managed to dominate some very powerful creatures with our Doom Priests and they have already proven themeslves in combat...

ThEJeRk

My Hotmailaccount sometimes fills up. Please try this adress if that happens: aow2mail@yahoo.se

posted 11-06-05 04:21 PM EDT (US)     12 / 86  
Halflings - Day 6

Our invasion of the Humans land has started! We'll see how snotty they act towards us when our armies are camped out in their cities. Hundreds of little warriors 'entertaining' their womenfolk (stepladders not included). I am slightly worried about the altar they own though. Hope they decide to not use it this turn.

Elsewhere with grim inevitability the orcs declared war on us, so we stole one of their farms. Otherwise, it is merely exploration as usual.

Turn sent to GillB

Surround your enemies on three sides

Just a quick question Jerk. What did you set the AI players as? It'd obviously make a difference to how to play if they are squires or something higher. And indeed if they are scorchers, expansionists or whatever...

Is there a normal way of setting up AI races in a game like this?

[This message has been edited by Sir Wulf (edited 11-08-2005 @ 05:35 AM).]

posted 11-08-05 05:49 AM EDT (US)     13 / 86  
The AI is CPU King, Sir Wulf.

Highmen
Well, I just remembered what my intended strategy was if I ever played this map again ... far too late, sadly. A couple of neutral towns fall under our sway ... and we have our first sight of enemies. Goblins are advancing towards our newly taken lands.

posted 11-08-05 05:45 PM EDT (US)     14 / 86  
Halflings - Day 7

Well, my strategy to swipe the Humans' Life altar didn't work as they fired prematurely. [Crude joke removed - Ed]. Not too much damage though. Somewhat more worrying are the forces they seem to be marshalling against me, but I'll be pumping out elf archers and hopefully those pointy-eared types will be able to hold them off.

The orcs seem content to sit there for the moment, but I've installed another blocking force to repel them if they do decide to come thisaway. Elsewhere though a force of Frostlings has hoven into view. I hope they'll be friendly. I don't much fancy my chances against 3 aggressors at once. Especially not on King settings...

Turn sent to GillB

A sword is naught to the hand that weilds it. *That* is the riddle of steel

posted 11-08-05 05:58 PM EDT (US)     15 / 86  
Highmen
Got somewhat massacred by some 'friendly' halflings that we had to attack as we couldn't afford their exorbitant purchase price ...

posted 11-11-05 05:15 PM EDT (US)     16 / 86  
Halflings - Day 8

Not all that much happening today. Our eagle scout had fun carrying out ecconomic warfare against the humans, and spotted Jerk's advance scout. It also saw what it is about to run into....

Elsewhere the Frostlings declared war on us. So thats 3 AIs and soon no doubt Jerk about to start offensive actions against us. Methinks I'm going to be in trouble pretty soon.

Turn sent to GillB

Mongol General: We have won again. That is good! But what is best in life?
Mongolian trainee: The open steppe, fleet horse, falcon on your wrist, wind in your hair!
Mongol General: Wrong! Conan, what is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
Mongol General: That is good.

posted 11-11-05 07:17 PM EDT (US)     17 / 86  
Highmen
Moving onward slowly, keeping an eye on large frostling armies.

posted 11-20-05 08:54 AM EDT (US)     18 / 86  
Heya Thorongil

Did you get the turn I sent on 11th or do you want a resend?

posted 11-23-05 07:06 PM EDT (US)     19 / 86  
Halflings - Day 9

It is said that Military Intel either wins or loses a war. Maybe this is why my competitors have been less than garrulous about their doings. No matter, we shall proceed.

A bad night for us, with one town rebelling (though we knew it would), the humans retaking various farms and mines and the Undeads sneaking in and pinching one too. *shakes fist at Jerk* What is particularly galling is that the Humans *could* have killed off the Undead scout, but instead decided to retake a poxy mine.

Oh, and the humans also attacked and took (albeit at cost to them) a 1-hex town just before its fences went up. Oh well, these things happen. I am sure I shall take it back soon.

On the bright side, a Goblin 3-hex succumbed to the might of the halflings with only minor losses, and the Undead 2-hex completed its migration. We now look forward to a period of human and orc bothering. Still no real sign of the frostlings though we know they neighbour us.

Turn sent to GillB

Jaw jaw is better than war war - Winston Churchill

posted 11-24-05 04:14 AM EDT (US)     20 / 86  
Highmen
We could have taken some Frostling cities, but decided to explore a monster lair instead. Not sure if it was wise because the Frostlings will, no doubt, have reinforced by tomorrow. The treasure was pretty lousy too.

Then we decided to take a dwarf town as funds didn't stretch to buying it. Another of our bad ideas ...

posted 11-28-05 04:12 PM EDT (US)     21 / 86  
Halflings - Day 10

The appearance of Undead and Frostling heroes (with attendant support) at the edges of our intel range prompt us to make the possibly rash decision to quit faffing about and get a move on.

Ergo, new friends are made and old enemies are given a kick up the rear as our troops attack. Have we overextended though, leaving inadequate forces to defend our new gains? Time will tell.

Turn sent to GillB

They don't like it up 'em, Mr Mainwaring! They don't like it up 'em!

[This message has been edited by Sir Wulf (edited 11-28-2005 @ 04:13 PM).]

posted 11-28-05 06:08 PM EDT (US)     22 / 86  
Highmen
The azracs decided war wasn't for them ... but we're confronting goblins and frostlings.

posted 11-29-05 09:55 AM EDT (US)     23 / 86  
Halflings - Day 11

Hrm, we may be in trouble. A big Undead stack with a hero, gold medal wraith and silver medal horror just took one of the Humans 4-hex cities, and looks ready to forge its way northwards. (If Jerk isn't going to say what he is up to, I'll do it for him ) I have a nasty feeling that after the humans are disposed of I'll be their next target

Elsewhere Frostling forces with a plethora of seige equipment are hoving into view, and the orcs are gathering forces too. And the humans seem far more preoccupied with me than what is happening with the Undeads. This could be a very short game from my point of view

Turn sent to GillB

"Enough with them negative waves" - Oddball, Kelly's Heroes

posted 11-29-05 10:15 AM EDT (US)     24 / 86  
Highmen
Not happy with the Frostlings. We made peace with them yesterday (for now) ... and they attacked a lone scout overnight. They regretted it.

posted 11-29-05 02:49 PM EDT (US)     25 / 86  
Halflings - Day 12

You made peace with them? Oh the luxury! I have a double stack including a Frost Queen and lots of catapults heading towards me as we speak. Organising a hasty defense, I hope its enough to slow them down.

Not too bad a day though, battles with all 3 enemies and victories in all cases. One major Orc stack eliminated, and Frostling and Human cities taken.

I can see that wraith of Jerk's is about to have fun. Upon reflection, maybe Undead would have been the better race for me to play. Oh well, live and learn. (Or not live in the case of the Undead)

Turn sent to GillB

"They've a fine bass section, mind you. But not exactly many of what you'd call top tenors now."

[This message has been edited by Sir Wulf (edited 11-29-2005 @ 02:51 PM).]

posted 11-29-05 08:57 PM EDT (US)     26 / 86  
Met our first human opponent today...we start off with a little diplomacy, only time will tell the result. Otherwise, we meander about, chagrined at our somewhat slow start.

sent

posted 12-01-05 06:37 AM EDT (US)     27 / 86  
Halflings - Day 13

Day 13 was unlucky for some. Just thankfully not me. The double stack of Frostlings including a number of level 2 units and their Frost Queen was going to prove dangerous if I'd left it alone, or waited for them to attack me. Therefore I took the bull by the horns and mustered all i could to atack them. In total a single stack of level 1's and a Satyr.

Well, what a battle! My original plan had been to knock out their catapults then retreat leaving them without a means to attack my walled cities and thus giving me more time to bring suitable forces to bear. But in the end I just pressed ahead, and wiped out both stacks for the net loss of one pony and one swordsman. Hoo-yah!

Elsewhere the humans look to be in trouble since as I predicted Jerk's wraith is on the rampage. Combine that with my economic warfare (ie grabbing any farms, mines and builders guilds not nailed down) and i can't help thinking they are not much longer for this world. Which of course will mean I will then have to face Jerk, unless he wants to go bother Thorongil *hint hint*

The orcs have brought more forces up, but lost another town to me today. Time will tell if I get to keep it though as they have strong forces nearby.

Turn sent to GillB

Lets get ready to RUUUUUUUUMMMBBBBBLLLLEEEEE!

posted 12-01-05 07:15 AM EDT (US)     28 / 86  
Highmen
One of my conquests was left uninhabited for just one turn ... of course, it was seized. Back to square one and retracing our steps.

We are fearful of the goblins. The frostlings aren't around in force (guess they're all up with the halflings )

posted 12-01-05 09:59 AM EDT (US)     29 / 86  
We're haveing somewhat of a small disagreement with the Dark Elves. They think that we should be satisfied with what we got and not expand further. We don't agree...obviuosly!

We continue ahead as planned and leave the Dark Elf structures alone - which seems fair this early in the war. We don't wish to fight them quite yet but if they leave us no choice we will have to...

ThEJeRk

posted 12-01-05 05:51 PM EDT (US)     30 / 86  
Halflings - Day 14

After the excitment of yesterday, today is quite quiet really. Took the Human's last remaining 2-hex (unless Jerk has seen some further south?) which means they are probably not much longer for this world, although they still have considerable forces in the field.

On the Forstling front there is not much to be seen. Can it be they are similarly depleted? Or are they lulling me into a false sense of security? The orcs continue to build up forces, it has become a race of logistics. But it looks like if all things stay equal they may lose their capital soon (though I am worried as to where their heroes and level 3 units may be hiding)

Turn sent to GillB

"There are two kinds of people who are going to stay on this beach. The dead and those who are going to die. Now lets get the Hell out of here!"

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Play By Email (Turn Logs) » Riverland Wars (Sir Wulf, Gillb, Thorongil, Jerk)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames