You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW1 Play By Email (Turn Logs)
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Age of Wonders Email Wrapper: Autosend working through GMail / AOL / Hotmail / Yahoo etc
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 12-08-10 08:42 AM EDT (US)   
Download:

Hello everyone;
This is my first post on this forum. I've been playing this game (AoW 1) on and off for about ten years now, it's never worn off for me.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, an old friend of mine and I were talking about it and he gave me the idea to write this program. It's currently in BETA test and I am looking for people to volunteer to help test it. It's also going to be free and will have no annoying adverts or any rubbish.

I am sure everyone is aware of how fiddly it can be to get Age of Wonders to auto send emails correctly, especially nowadays it is quite common for SMTP servers to use SSL or sending authentication. It is also quite common for people to rent a house where the landlord provides the internet access and tenants don’t have access to create email accounts directly from the ISP they’re on. So, here we have the solution; the Age of Wonders Email Wrapper.

The program is a .Net windows app that pretends to be a lightweight SMTP server that the game understands, you just point the game at the local loop back IP address or 'localhost' and Autosend your emails. It takes the game email in and then sends it on via Google or whatever and using SSL if necessary. It also downloads emails too, it has periodic polling system. Currently only over IMAP, but I am going to add POP3 support too. So it takes all the pain away from messing about with drop downs, browsing to folders etc which you would usually have to do with manual email sending.

The program has a couple of configuration forms for you to set up your email settings, rather like you have in Outlook etc. It will then sit in the system tray and notify you with a sound and by changing its icon to an envelope when you have an email game come in. I am also going to add a load config and save config feature which will allow people to send their config file to a friend if they want them to do their turn for them during a period of absence or whatever. Gmail etc can be accessed from anywhere so the program lends itself well to being able to do this.

Currently I have a few people testing it over here and it’s working very well. If anyone here would like to give this a go then please leave a message for me on here and I’ll get in touch with you.

Thanks for reading everyone, I’ll post some screen shots of this on here soon!
All the best

Dave

Edit: Added the diagram above.

[This message has been edited by Davespice (edited 06-02-2011 @ 05:14 PM).]

Replies:
posted 12-08-10 10:25 AM EDT (US)     1 / 69  
Looks pretty cool! However I don't have the time to help test it right now. I am curious if it would work for AoW:SM or if it's specifically built around AoW1. Either way, keep up the work, many would love to use this.

#7373DE for Humans #EFB573 for Azracs #4AA58C for Lizard Men #9CC6E7 for Frostlings |SM|> #E4ED38 #EBEBEB #CC2D29 #CC29D5
#6BB54A for Elves #EFE773 for Halflings #D6AD8C for Dwarves #EFEFDE for High Men |SM|> #DE8EA4 #F09245 #D2BE92 #BDBDE8 #558CDD
#B563BD for Dark Elves #F74242 for Orcs #BD7352 for Goblins #947B73 for The Undead |SM|> #1DDB38 #83795A #2CAAA4 #AC762A
Colors for AoW1 and AoWSM **A Proud Member of the Unofficial Patch Team!** ~2010 AoWSM PBEM Singles Champion~ http://blog.noblemaster.com/
posted 12-08-10 10:40 AM EDT (US)     2 / 69  
Hi Travis

You're right, currently I have built it around AoW 1. But I can look into making it more generic so it would have options to set it up for any of the AoW games. I don't own Shadow Magic myself, only Aow 1 and 2: Wizard's Throne. I was under the impression that SM had an inbuilt ability to do this. Is that not correct?

Kind regards
Dave
posted 12-08-10 12:13 PM EDT (US)     3 / 69  
Hmm it might, I guess I never really checked.

*checks*

Same 3 options as in the other 2 games. Local email address, SMTP Server, and Attachment Directory. That's all you're given. AoW2 and AoW:SM likely work the same way -- that is if they work any different from AoW1.

#7373DE for Humans #EFB573 for Azracs #4AA58C for Lizard Men #9CC6E7 for Frostlings |SM|> #E4ED38 #EBEBEB #CC2D29 #CC29D5
#6BB54A for Elves #EFE773 for Halflings #D6AD8C for Dwarves #EFEFDE for High Men |SM|> #DE8EA4 #F09245 #D2BE92 #BDBDE8 #558CDD
#B563BD for Dark Elves #F74242 for Orcs #BD7352 for Goblins #947B73 for The Undead |SM|> #1DDB38 #83795A #2CAAA4 #AC762A
Colors for AoW1 and AoWSM **A Proud Member of the Unofficial Patch Team!** ~2010 AoWSM PBEM Singles Champion~ http://blog.noblemaster.com/
posted 12-08-10 02:07 PM EDT (US)     4 / 69  
Thank you Travis, this is really helpful information. Knowing this, I can say that it will be possible for me to make the wrapper work for all of the AoW games. I have some work to do then In the mean time I am still looking for some volunteers to help me test it...

Thanks again!
Dave
posted 12-12-10 05:05 PM EDT (US)     5 / 69  
Well I'd love to help you test it kaspermail+at+gmail+dot+com if you want to get in touch. Sounds like a brilliant little program - was thinking of setting up a full smtp server anyway to get around the issue Kinda overkill, so if I can help with getting your program working perfectly that'd be great.

An Eye for an eye, will leave the whole world blind
- Mahatma Gandhi
posted 12-13-10 04:03 PM EDT (US)     6 / 69  
Hi Kazper, thank you - I've sent you an email. Be in touch soon!
posted 12-20-10 02:43 PM EDT (US)     7 / 69  
Dave this looks to be a really great program, and I'd love to help test it out. I've got a friend who I played this with a long time ago, and I'm trying to get him back into it. This might entice him a bit more. My email address is krumeservy at gmail dot com.
posted 12-21-10 04:07 PM EDT (US)     8 / 69  
Send me a copy and I'll try and test it out too. If it works out there's nothing stopping you from uploading it to the site so everyone can have access to it.

mjschuck at fidnet dot com

2009 1v1 Mapmaking Competition 1st Place MapBattle of Enioch
posted 01-10-11 05:20 AM EDT (US)     9 / 69  
Hi all, thank you for the interest. I've just today got back from holiday in South Africa. I'll be doing some more work on this in the next few days so watch this space!

Kind regards

Edit: I have just found the program already works with Aow 2, so I there will be minimal changes just to provide a game selector screen and it should be fine with all three games.

Edit: And now also working with Shadow Magic. Those of you who are on my Dev folder stand by for a release either tonight or tomorrow.

Edit: Okay Beta 0.5 is the current version.

The wrapper also has an in built turn logging feature which will show you how long each player takes to do their turn. Could be useful for highlighting when, during large game, one person is being a bit slow. The rest of you can then get on their case to make them hurry up etc! =)

Here is an example, this is what you would see in the body of the game emails;

Age of Wonders email game
--------------------------------------------------------
Name: Mountain Clash
Map: Mountain Clash
Turn: 4

Players:
Devan at bill.gates@gmail.com
Graaznor at steve.jobs@gmail.com

Turn Log

Turn: 4; bill.gates@gmail.com; 17 January 2011 13:02; 13 minutes
Turn: 4; steve.jobs@gmail.com; 17 January 2011 12:49; 14 hours 16 minutes
Turn: 3; bill.gates@gmail.com; 16 January 2011 22:33; 4 minutes
Turn: 3; steve.jobs@gmail.com; 16 January 2011 22:29; 15 minutes
Turn: 2; bill.gates@gmail.com; 16 January 2011 22:14; 8 minutes
Turn: 2; steve.jobs@gmail.com; 16 January 2011 22:06; 42 minutes
Turn: 1; bill.gates@gmail.com; 16 January 2011 21:24; Started

Total Times

steve.jobs@gmail.com = 15 hours 13 minutes. Turns: 3. Average: 5 hours 4 minutes
bill.gates@gmail.com = 25 minutes. Turns: 4. Average: 6 minutes

[This message has been edited by Davespice (edited 01-17-2011 @ 08:30 AM).]

posted 01-19-11 05:18 PM EDT (US)     10 / 69  
What the latest word on this wonderful application from those of you who have tried it? Does it work?
posted 01-19-11 06:04 PM EDT (US)     11 / 69  
Very cool!

Also lol @ steve jobs and bill gates

posted 01-21-11 03:17 AM EDT (US)     12 / 69  
Hi there guys, thanks for the interest. I say yes it does work but then I am bias! The program does two things, lets you auto-send your email from within the game and also downloads game email attachments for you.

The Auto-send works with any modern SMTP server out there, so Google, Hotmail (Windows Live), Yahoo etc. But the downloading feature currently only works with Imap email and only providers like Google and AOL have this. I am going to add POP3 soon and when I do you'll be able to use it on pretty much anything.

It's still in Beta test and I don't want to give it out to everyone just yet. I take pride in my work and I don't want people finding bugs! =)

That said if anyone would like to have a Beta test copy email me and I'll sort you out to join my dev folder.

Cheers
Dave
posted 01-21-11 11:12 AM EDT (US)     13 / 69  
I understand completely! However I'm greatly looking forward to the finished application
posted 01-24-11 06:13 AM EDT (US)     14 / 69  
Beta 0.6 just released to the Dev folder, all testers please update your copy.
posted 01-24-11 02:59 PM EDT (US)     15 / 69  
This looks fantastic. I used to have a more complicated setup with SMTPRelay and iScribe (mail program that can execute scripts like automatically saving .asg files to a specified folder). But this looks much better.

Please tell me how I can beta test @ rogueaipbem-at-gmail-dot-com

Thanks a lot.
Best,
RogueAi
posted 01-24-11 03:44 PM EDT (US)     16 / 69  
Hi RogueAi, I have sent you an invite to join the dev folder.

[This message has been edited by Davespice (edited 01-25-2011 @ 04:25 AM).]

posted 01-25-11 06:45 AM EDT (US)     17 / 69  
I have only myself to blame for missing this topic (should have frequented Aow1 section more often )

I haven't been able to do Email Automation since I moved back home. The SMTP from my ISP here doesn't seem to allow me to do it.

I'd be more than glad to help you test it with Aow:SM. Just drop me a line at my address below.

And keep up the good work!! This is great !

Tired of manually receiving/sending your PBEM turns everyday ? Try out Dave's PBEM Wrapper!
posted 01-25-11 07:33 AM EDT (US)     18 / 69  
Hi Naeco, I have sent you an invite to join the dev folder.
posted 01-25-11 09:34 AM EDT (US)     19 / 69  
So far the wrapper is working absolutely great for me! There have been no problems and I'm saving a lot of time. It's really making PBEM a lot more fun! I haven't tried the auto-receive yet since I'm waiting for pop3-support but auto-sending is really making my life easier
posted 01-26-11 10:39 AM EDT (US)     20 / 69  
I tried it with 2 small games (1vs1) and the program works flawlessly!
This is indeed a great add-in for the game! There's (apparently) no need to setup anything inside the game at all. Just pick Auto and it's done!

Thanks a lot for this great software!!! I'll give more feedback as games arrive

Tired of manually receiving/sending your PBEM turns everyday ? Try out Dave's PBEM Wrapper!
posted 01-26-11 11:28 AM EDT (US)     21 / 69  
Thanks for the positive feedback guys, it is certainly encouraging to see that people are getting some benefit from it. Naeco, you’re right you don’t need to configure anything in the game as when you press the ‘Save Settings’ button the email settings values are written to the registry where the game will find them. Feel free to start a test game against me if you like. That goes for everyone too.
posted 01-26-11 12:09 PM EDT (US)     22 / 69  
I'm totally in love with the wrapper. It makes PBEM so much more fun!

#7373DE for Humans #EFB573 for Azracs #4AA58C for Lizard Men #9CC6E7 for Frostlings
#6BB54A for Elves #EFE773 for Halflings #D6AD8C for Dwarves #EFEFDE for High Men
#B563BD for Dark Elves #F74242 for Orcs #BD7352 for Goblins #947B73 for The Undead
Thank you to TravisII for this great idea!
posted 01-28-11 02:53 AM EDT (US)     23 / 69  
Hi Dave,

Seems great !

I would like to test it (send only, cause I'm in POP3 for receiving) + I'm playing with Naeco: it could be a good test...

My mail is aggelon .@. hotmail . fr

Thanks.

EDIT: maybe it would be usefull to add a function of filing/backup of the 'sent files', so in case of 'corrupted saved game' or 'deleted by SPAM filter' or 'bad mod using' or... problems, everyone could resend an old saved game and easily replay from clean saved game... maybe add it to the TODO list

[This message has been edited by aggelon (edited 01-28-2011 @ 03:02 AM).]

posted 01-28-11 03:22 AM EDT (US)     24 / 69  
Hi Aggelon, I have sent you an invite to join the dev folder.
posted 01-31-11 08:06 AM EDT (US)     25 / 69  
OK. Tests OK ^^

add to TODO list if possible: check that ASG is password protected !

Forget mails, directories and attachments: use PBEM Wrapper
posted 02-01-11 11:29 PM EDT (US)     26 / 69  
Hey, I was just looking into getting a play-by-email game working with a couple friends. Could we try this program out? I'm a .NET junky myself and I love the idea of this thing.

EDIT: Oh, er, please consider sending me a copy at johnny_dot_kauffman_at_gmail_dot_com

[This message has been edited by MrDudeManGuy (edited 02-01-2011 @ 11:30 PM).]

posted 02-02-11 12:26 PM EDT (US)     27 / 69  
I'd be interested in trying it out, please

rogerforward~gmail~com

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
posted 02-02-11 12:37 PM EDT (US)     28 / 69  
Very interesting.

I have been using proxy+ to do my autosends but it's a bit of a nightmare to configure and I had to get a lot of help from a friend to get it working (and I consider myself quite technically literate!).

But as it works (most of the time!) and I'm used to it, I won't take up the testing invite. However, I'm keeping my eye on this thread and hope to make the switch once it's been proved OK.
posted 02-02-11 05:00 PM EDT (US)     29 / 69  
It didn't download the incoming email turns (it's set to check every ten minutes and I left it about half an hour), and although it changed the game to autosend I was told in due course by the game that autosend had failed, so I ended up sending it manually too.

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
posted 02-03-11 08:50 AM EDT (US)     30 / 69  
Roger I have sent you an email which should help.

Dear all;

We have a new build of the Wrapper now available on the Drop Box dev folder. Beta 0.7 – please read the below.

Big changes in this build. These incorporate a lot of good feedback from people (especially Nguyen Huyhai) who have been in touch with me over the past few weeks. I was actually quite surprised to learn that some Shadow Magic game files can grow to about 10Mb! So, to accommodate this, a major overhaul of how the Wrapper works was needed.

This is how things used to work;

The game would say, ‘Hello Wrapper, here is an email’ – the Wrapper would say ‘Okay, wait while I send it’ Send-Send-Send and when done the Wrapper would say ‘Thank you Goodbye’ to the game. Then you see ‘Game Sent Successfully’.

The problem with doing it this way is that, if you’ve got a lot of data to send the ‘wait while I send it’ doesn’t work. The game is a bit impatient and only wants to wait for about 20 seconds to get the reply back from the Wrapper. Any longer than that you’ll get an error message in the game. And sending 10Mb to your email server could take a while.

So, this is how it works now;

The game will say, ‘Hello Wrapper, here is an email’ – the Wrapper will say ‘Thank you Goodbye’ immediately. You will see ‘Game Sent Successfully’ – but this now only means ‘to the Wrapper’. Then it will send the email independently of the game so it doesn’t matter how long it takes. When it’s finished you’ll hear a sound and you should get a Pop up message like the screen shot below.

If there is an error you’ll get a message like the one below with Retry / Cancel buttons. You can hit retry to send the email again and you can do that as many times as you need to (for instance your Internet goes down or something). If you get one of these, read all of the message as it will probably tell you what is wrong.

The other big thing is that I have changed the conditions to make the localhost server start up. This is the mini Smtp server designed to pick up the emails from the game. The user now has control of when it is running or not running. Previously the Wrapper would look to see the game Exe start up and then it would start the server, this functionality has been removed. Now you’ll have a button on the Outgoing Email tab to control this and also a new check box called ‘Start localhost server on Startup’. The localhost server must be running for the game to send emails to the Wrapper.

The start / stop tab is now gone, and the start polling button is now on the Incoming Email tab.

We also have an About page with a bit of info on it.

When you download the wrapper, please also use the config file that comes with it and re-enter your settings. Do not keep your old config file.

Happy Auto sending!

P.S. I will update the ‘Getting Started.PDF’ asap.

[This message has been edited by Davespice (edited 02-03-2011 @ 09:04 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Play By Email (Turn Logs) » Age of Wonders Email Wrapper: Autosend working through GMail / AOL / Hotmail / Yahoo etc
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames