Please login or register

AoW1 Play By Email (Turn Logs)
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Age of Wonders Email Wrapper: Auto send and Auto receive
posted 03-12-12 08:02 AM EDT (US)   
This thread is both for new players, who are coming into PBEM for the first time, or for veterans who want to spend more time playing the game and less time creating emails and browsing to folders for file attachments.

The Wrapper is a program you run on the same PC as the game, it basically makes the whole play by email process quicker and easier. It also helps you to keep track of what games you have going on and reminds you when you have game turns to take. The aow heaven pbem guide has now been updated to include information about the Wrapper.

You can download it here and there are tutorial videos showing how to use it here. If you run into problems I can be contacted on IRC (https://chat.mibbit.com/ or irc.mibbit.net:6667). Channel #AoW. Speak to Davespice. Please read the manual first before asking a question.

The best feature of the Wrapper though is the activity log. This shows the state of all your PBEM games allowing you to keep track of which turns you need to play, which games are moving slowly and what the turn numbers are. Giving you a central heads up display for all your PBEM games.

[This message has been edited by Davespice (edited 03-13-2012 @ 05:47 AM).]

Replies:
posted 11-05-12 07:26 AM EDT (US)     1 / 21  
I still don't know how to configure the Wrapper. When I send a game - this is what popps up:

Dave, if you are still checking this forum, can you give me a hint of how to configure it?

#7373DE Human #EFB573 Azrac #4AA58C Lizard #9CC6E7 Frostling
#6BB54A Elf #EFE773 Halfling #D6AD8C Dwarf #EFEFDE High Man
#B563BD Dark Elf #F74242 Orc #BD7352 Goblin #947B73 Undead

~ Honeyvale Falls ~ won by PawelS 2011 | ~ Extremism ~ Fourth week 2012
~ Swolterwood ~ NO winner 2012 |
posted 12-13-12 08:06 AM EDT (US)     2 / 21  
Hi Nosferon;
Sorry I haven't responded to this sooner. The error you have is "Unable to read data from the transport connection" because "the connected party did not respond after a period of time". This is usually down to poor configuration or because your actual internet connection is unreliable.

It looks like you’re not using the latest version either. If you look on the About tab, you can see the version number there. The current version is 1.0.0.3. If you don’t see this version number go and uninstall the Wrapper, then download the latest version from the link in my signature below.

After installing it you’ll see it will still try and use your old config on the Accounts tab. Just click Add, then you only have to type in your email address and password. This way the configuration is auto created for you. After you have done this you can delete the previous account that wasn’t working.

Hope this helps.
Dave

[This message has been edited by Davespice (edited 12-13-2012 @ 08:10 AM).]

posted 12-13-12 08:55 AM EDT (US)     3 / 21  
Hi, Dave. I forgot to say that I fixed the problem by changing
the configuration. However I decided to download the new
version anyway, so I did. But now a new problem occured and
it only says:

AowEmailWrapper has encountered a problem and needs
to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Should I somehow find and install the old version again?

posted 12-13-12 10:45 AM EDT (US)     4 / 21  
You probably just need to delete the old config and start again.

So close the Wrapper and then Browse to here on your system;

On Windows Vista or 7
C:\Users\*your user*\AppData\Roaming\AowEmailWrapper

On XP
C:\Documents and Settings\*your user*\Application Data\AowEmailWrapper

Delete everything in there (you might be able to get away with keeping the MessageStore folder though), then when you run the Wrapper again it'll prompt you for your email address.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Davespice (edited 12-13-2012 @ 10:47 AM).]

posted 12-13-12 12:33 PM EDT (US)     5 / 21  
AowEmailWrapper has encountered a problem and needs
to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
I'm getting this error from time to time too. Win 7x64, funny thing is if I just ignore the error window the wrapper downloads the game just fine (happens always after first poll); unfortunately it won't send..

It fixes itself after I simply receive/send the problematic turn manually... only to resurface couple weeks later....

Must be some bizarre bug.

And the current version is 1.0.1.3
posted 12-14-12 04:35 AM EDT (US)     6 / 21  
If you get an email that always causes the error, forward it to me and I can see if I can get the error in my development environment.
posted 12-16-12 06:32 AM EDT (US)     7 / 21  
I don't even have the chance to type my e-mail.
Dave, can you give me a link for the older version?
I think this will be the fastest solution...

posted 12-17-12 04:49 AM EDT (US)     8 / 21  
Can I just ask if you have read the manual and checked for any security software that could be causing it a problem? Avast is known to cause issues. By default the new version of the Wrapper wants to open port 49252 on the local loop back, where as the old version opens port 25. Sometimes internet security software will mistake the Wrapper for a threat and try to block it, which often causes an error that then makes Windows kill it.
posted 01-06-13 08:36 AM EDT (US)     9 / 21  
Dave, thanks for doing this.

Is this only for AoW1?
posted 01-06-13 08:40 AM EDT (US)     10 / 21  
It's for all 3 AoW games

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
posted 01-06-13 01:13 PM EDT (US)     11 / 21  
Thanks. Just watched the videos. Awesome work, Dave.

EDIT: Having now tried this solo, big thumbs up. Works like a charm.

[This message has been edited by tyler2 (edited 01-06-2013 @ 08:22 PM).]

posted 08-25-13 07:51 AM EDT (US)     12 / 21  
hi! i'm having some trouble with wrapper not detecting a mail sent to me with the first turn of the game. it is my first game using wrapper, i have a hotmail account. it looks like it open the hotmail account but it dont detect the mail for game.. idk! can u help me pls? tnx in advance!

edit: i just opened it manually, and now it appears on the wrapper game list! it works this way? first turn must be opened manually?

[This message has been edited by paatoo (edited 08-25-2013 @ 08:00 AM).]

posted 08-27-13 09:16 AM EDT (US)     13 / 21  
Hi there, I saw your messages to me on IRC but you didn’t leave me with a way to get in touch with you. But at least I’ve found you on here.

Anyway it just sounds like you haven’t read the quick start guide or the manual

So the Wrapper will only see games that arrive in your Inbox after the first time you check for email. If you get a problem where it looks like the Wrapper ignored the email you can use Hotmail to forward the email back to yourself and this will fix it because then you create an email which did arrive in your account after the first time you check.

Sounds crazy right? Its deliberate Any user of the Wrapper may have hundreds of old game emails in their Inbox, this behaviour is there to stop the Wrapper from having to look through all the old emails and deciding whether or not they should be downloaded. It also speeds things up and makes the Wrapper have to do less work.

The other pitfall you may encounter is if you use something like Thunderbird or Outlook Express to access your hotmail account. If you do then you need to set an option in to tell Thunderbird or Outlook to not remove the emails from the POP3 server. Removing them is default behaviour, if your email client program removes them then the Wrapper will never see them because every time you check for email your email program removes them from the server.

This is all in the manual btw
posted 10-10-13 06:29 AM EDT (US)     14 / 21  
Ladies and gents. Just to let you know I have just done a release of the Wrapper code. This is version 1.0.1.4. The major update is Mozilla Thunderbird database integration for finding your email settings. This greatly future proofs the Wrapper’s ability to find the correct settings for a given email service. If you ever used the Wrapper before and had problems then this version is likely to work much better for you.

Other updates includes directly supporting the MP-Evolution patch. The Wrapper will now show MPE games in the Activity Log separately to Shadow Magic ones and you can launch the MPE executable by double clicking in the Activity Log or from the Wrapper system tray menu.

There is a new language now supported; Swedish. All other languages have been updated so that the new screens are fully localised. A big thank you to everyone who sent these in.

I have also added a full, clean, uninstall process which clears down any registry settings the Wrapper might have made and any configuration files on the disk. So basically your email send screen will go back to manual if you chose to no longer use the Wrapper.

There is no pressing need for anyone to upgrade unless you want to take advantage of the new features listed above. If you do want to upgrade I recommend you Exit the Wrapper, uninstall the old version from Control Panel / Programs and then install this new version. Your configuration will not be lost.

All the best
posted 10-10-13 06:19 PM EDT (US)     15 / 21  
You rule!

#7373DE for Humans #EFB573 for Azracs #4AA58C for Lizard Men #9CC6E7 for Frostlings
#6BB54A for Elves #EFE773 for Halflings #D6AD8C for Dwarves #EFEFDE for High Men
#B563BD for Dark Elves #F74242 for Orcs #BD7352 for Goblins #947B73 for The Undead
Thank you to TravisII for this great idea!
posted 02-15-14 08:49 AM EDT (US)     16 / 21  
does it support windows 8.1??
posted 03-05-14 12:07 PM EDT (US)     17 / 21  
Folks, the wrapper source code is now on Github. I have migrated it from my private SVN preserving all the branches and commits. Feel free to fork.

https://github.com/davidhoness/AowEmailWrapper
posted 05-28-14 03:28 PM EDT (US)     18 / 21  
What link are we to use to get the wrapper now? The one in the OP or the github address?
posted 05-28-14 06:23 PM EDT (US)     19 / 21  
the one in the OP, the source code is for modifing the program
posted 12-04-17 04:29 AM EDT (US)     20 / 21  
Dear all, just to let you all know I am no longer supporting the wrapper. The source code for it is available online here if anyone wants to take it and use it: https://github.com/davidhoness/AowEmailWrapper
posted 12-05-17 06:39 AM EDT (US)     21 / 21  
I've played AoW since release and have yet to play a PBEM game, but this was a huge contribution to the AoW community. Kudos for the work and releasing the source code.

Now if only Warlock could show up again and enlighten us all. I've modded other games via hex editing, but there's just seemingly no information available for AoW anymore... Makes it incredibly difficult to interpret what you're looking at.

Do you happen to know of any resources/blogs/forums that would point me in the right direction?
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Play By Email (Turn Logs) » Age of Wonders Email Wrapper: Auto send and Auto receive
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames