You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW1 Play By Email (Turn Logs)
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Land of Merhal (Laplace, Radiantt, Nosferon, Boarungg, Deroman, Kani, Ramillies, Zsaber, Pato
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 09-09-14 06:46 PM EDT (US)   
Map: Land of Merhal (http://aow.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=408&ci=d0023fd1c10774de1f9aa64a1806b1aeYToxOntpOjA7YToyOntpOjA7czoxNDoiU2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHMiO2k6MTtzOjQ0OiJsaXN0ZXIucGhwP3N0YXJ0PTAmYW1wO3NlYXJjaD1sYW5kIG9mIG1lcmhhbCI7fX0=)

AoW Ruleset: Standard rules

Leaders on map: Nope (replaced by heroes with spell casting IV and +1 defense)

Sphere customization: Nope

Allied victory: Allowed, with one race which may not be of the opposite alignment. An evil or pure evil race may not win together with a good or pure good race and the other way around.

Exploration: Yep

House Rules: Standard AoW Heaven house rules. In addition we use the following house rule: "You may not retreat from a tactical combat in which you have attacked, shot at or used any spell or ability on enemy units unless at least one of your units have been attacked, shot at or the subject of a spell or ability by an enemy unit. The exception to the above is if either you or your enemy is unable to deal further damage. It is also forbidden to draw the same enemy stack into a tactical combat more than twice each turn."

Activity expectation: You should only sign up if you will generally be able to play turns within at most 72 hours from receiving them. If you are unable to play your turn within 72 hours you should post in the relevant topic in advance. Writing turn logs is optional but you should always post a "turn sent" when you have played your turn so we know who's turn it is.

Players:

Orcs - Laplace_demon - ulrik_voelcker[at]hotmail[dot]com
Elves - Radiantt - beerbeer[at]hotmail[dot]es
Lizards - AI Emperor
Frostlings - Nosferon - rueface[at]abv[dot]bg
Azracs - AI Emperor
Halflings - Boarungg - boarungg[at]gmail[dot]com
Dwarves - Deroman - ragederoman[at]luukku[dot]com
Highmen - AI Emperor
Dark Elves - Kani - aow[at]own[dot]web[dot]id
Humans - Ramillies naecO - nguyen[dot]huyhai[at]gmail[dot]com
Goblins - Zsaber81 - zhengzjm[at]hotmail[dot]com
Undead - Pato - pato[dot]elz[at]hotmail[dot]com

#7373DE for Humans #EFB573 for Azracs #4AA58C for Lizard Men #9CC6E7 for Frostlings
#6BB54A for Elves #EFE773 for Halflings #D6AD8C for Dwarves #EFEFDE for High Men
#B563BD for Dark Elves #F74242 for Orcs #BD7352 for Goblins #947B73 for The Undead
Thank you to TravisII for this great idea!

[This message has been edited by Kanibeos (edited 12-17-2014 @ 07:38 AM).]

Replies:
posted 09-10-14 06:34 AM EDT (US)     1 / 77  
Orc ~ Day 1

TS
posted 09-16-14 02:55 PM EDT (US)     2 / 77  
Frostlings - Day 1

Some day we will get to the surface again...

#7373DE Human #EFB573 Azrac #4AA58C Lizard #9CC6E7 Frostling
#6BB54A Elf #EFE773 Halfling #D6AD8C Dwarf #EFEFDE High Man
#B563BD Dark Elf #F74242 Orc #BD7352 Goblin #947B73 Undead

~ Honeyvale Falls ~ won by PawelS 2011 | ~ Extremism ~ Fourth week 2012
~ Swolterwood ~ NO winner 2012 |

[This message has been edited by Nosferon (edited 09-16-2014 @ 02:56 PM).]

posted 09-16-14 05:19 PM EDT (US)     3 / 77  
Halfings - Day 1

Centaur has moved ahead of a party and disappeared in a forest. Hope he will return with some food. :-)

Turn sent

[This message has been edited by Boarungg (edited 09-16-2014 @ 05:22 PM).]

posted 09-17-14 03:18 AM EDT (US)     4 / 77  
Dwarves of Maglar the First, Day 1 Under the Mountains of Merthal

Days have grown eerie in Maglar's Halls. There was a time when we were hosting feasts every day for many a guest visiting us from every corner of Merthal. Days when all the fires were blazing high, roasting freshly hunted boars that we had traded with surface Elves, served with endless pints of ale! Oh those were the days, I tell ye, those were the days...

But Elves rule the Merthal no more and for long we have been without a contact and trade with them. Fires burn low in Maglar's Halls and we have declined to eating moles and mice that dwell in these depths. Ale we are still plenty of, and spirit aye, but very short on guests and reasons to feast.

Goblins have once again gathered to breed in the dark depths and we expect to have trouble with them on our mining tunnels before long. For even more grave notice, something has moved within the earth. We can feel it in ground as the dirt beneath us cracks and laments at times. The old and wise sign the tales of the long wars of the past, of the imbalance and bloodshed that drew great evil back from the depths of the Earth. We have dig deep into the soil of Merthal, aye we have, and we might have dig into something that should have stayed unearthed. But I curse the cowards who blame us for awakening the evil that has born out of their wars!

We are the Dwarves of Maglar the First, one of the Dwarven First Borns, and we stand strong for what has been and what will become.

Turn Sent.

-/X\(++)/X\-L.E.D. Frozen Warrior-/X\(++)/X\-
posted 09-17-14 06:37 PM EDT (US)     5 / 77  
The Reign of Zian Layhek - Day 1

Some nearby villages of our kin demands money to join my glorious kingdom. I send my personal guard to capture the villages and slaughter the insolent defenders.

Turn sent

#7373DE for Humans #EFB573 for Azracs #4AA58C for Lizard Men #9CC6E7 for Frostlings
#6BB54A for Elves #EFE773 for Halflings #D6AD8C for Dwarves #EFEFDE for High Men
#B563BD for Dark Elves #F74242 for Orcs #BD7352 for Goblins #947B73 for The Undead
posted 09-18-14 00:21 AM EDT (US)     6 / 77  
I.

It has been a year now since I set out on my journey. To venture far and deep, through forests and over water, on grass and desert alike.

For several weeks I am already passing through the desolation. The lands I visit are called Merhal, and their once widely known name is now forlorn from glory. As I wander, I meet living trees, singing birds, lush grass sprinkled with morning dew. I meet beasts of various kind and size, as do I pass by verdant vegetation. Yet I daresay this land is dead. Where once farms were, now are only old ruined buildings; no farmer harvests the crop of fields long covered with weed, no worker delve deep in caved-in mines, no man is seen in villages abandoned for years. Everything is empty and unkempt, and the only sign of life are plants that grow by every road and on every field.

But despite being dead, my journey ends in this land. The land which was once in hold of Human Empire. The land which was gained by cleverly waged war and lost again to utter lack of care. Now it is time the humans paid for their foolishness, for today not only elves and dwarves pester this region. My heart tells me we will have to cope with many more this time.

Never the less we shall make any sacrifice that need be made, and never permit them to come in vain. For I am not alone, and my hand, and hands of my companions, can hold not only walking sticks, but swords as well. We have come to revert the wheel of history to the previous acceptable state.

Who wants to talk about such boring things like capturing X mines and Y farms ...

[This message has been edited by Ramillies (edited 09-21-2014 @ 05:53 PM).]

posted 09-19-14 10:00 AM EDT (US)     7 / 77  
ts
posted 09-22-14 04:08 AM EDT (US)     8 / 77  
Day 2 TS
posted 09-22-14 08:03 PM EDT (US)     9 / 77  
ts
posted 09-24-14 04:36 AM EDT (US)     10 / 77  
Halfings - Day 2

Turn sent
posted 09-24-14 07:47 AM EDT (US)     11 / 77  
The Reign of Zian Layhek - Day 2

I find a ring of great power in the lair of a shadow creature. I test my skills by personally dispatching it to the nether realms.

Turn sent

[Since last turn we have unexplained restarts by: Boarungg]

[Since last turn we have missing turn logs by: Nosferon and Pato]

posted 09-24-14 08:08 AM EDT (US)     12 / 77  
I'm not in home until tomorrow and I played this turn on my girlfriend's laptop. Can it cause a restart message?

[This message has been edited by Boarungg (edited 09-24-2014 @ 08:08 AM).]

posted 09-24-14 08:22 AM EDT (US)     13 / 77  
Yes, changing from one computer to another always causes a restart. Generally I recommend sticking to one computer even if it causes the game to move a bit slower. But if it causes a delay of several days then changing computers may be the best option. In that case it should be explained in the turn logs.

posted 09-24-14 10:04 AM EDT (US)     14 / 77  
Ok, thanks for the explanation and sorry for the mess. I understand, switching between different computers makes my situation unclear for the other players. I'll remember that.
posted 09-25-14 00:30 AM EDT (US)     15 / 77  
Dwarves of Maglar the First, Day 2 Under the Mountains of Merthal

What a grave fear creeps through Maglars Halls when the tunneling scouts return with their findings. Some Orcs and Goblins under their own free banners have been encountered at both sides of Maglars Halls, now surrounding us from North and South. This bodes ill, especially so since they have a natural hatered towards us Dwarves of Maglar the First. We can not risk them to isolate us from the many caverns we have digged, or even worse, to join forces with great evil entity that moves within the earth.

So we will do what we must and raise our axes high.

Turn Sent.

P.S. Slightly delayed turn log. Ideal pbem gaming does not include any restarts, so I would prefer delays over that aswell.

-/X\(++)/X\-L.E.D. Frozen Warrior-/X\(++)/X\-

[This message has been edited by Deroman (edited 09-25-2014 @ 00:32 AM).]

posted 09-28-14 12:45 PM EDT (US)     16 / 77  
You can take your EmailIn\egames.pfs file with you, copy it into proper place on the other computer, then play, get your file back and copy it into proper place back on your computer. This procedure should let you play without any restart [ Conversely, if you omit any of these steps, you generate at least one restart. ] [ Also if your girlfriend plays PBEM as well, you must carefully see to it that her egames.pfs file is backed up, otherwise you cause her to generate restarts ... ]

(As far as I know, restart is generated when you open a turn with number not matching the number in egames.pfs file. Surely it would be possible to hack this file and restart as much as you want, but I'm definitely not going to do any research on it.)

[This message has been edited by Ramillies (edited 09-28-2014 @ 12:47 PM).]

posted 10-02-14 06:06 PM EDT (US)     17 / 77  
have you checked it ramillies? so if i save the egame.pfs file, play, and if i go wrong on the game, i can have a backup of this file and rewrite, and redownload the game, and so, cheat without a warning to the others players?
posted 10-08-14 03:26 PM EDT (US)     18 / 77  
Ramillies, have you received the turn?

posted 10-10-14 07:47 PM EDT (US)     19 / 77  
II.

An old man came one day, late in afternoon, to a small dock where some boats were being built. Few men were working on some beams and around them were wandering two another with swords in hands -- probably being there to make an illusion of security.

The old man came in the shipyard. Guards were convinced he cannot pose any danger to them, so they greeted him and let him look around. Suddenly some very strange feeling seizes their minds, as if they were fighting something in their head.

Meanwhile the man was rather out of his senses, perceiving some twisted dark tunnels and broad passages sprayed with light, ignoring the reality completely. This way he was proceeding inside his visions, sometimes turning around and returning, other times following a way he deemed right. And after some moments, he finally reached his goal.

Abruptly thoughts of the swordsmen change, and if in the last second they were thinking about how boring it is to guard this pack of miserable engineers, now they felt urged to proclaim that the whole dock belongs to the Imperium. And when the old man kindly asked them to go with him to see the general, they just did it, without asking or pondering about the utmost weirdness of his request (or rather of their mindless acceptance of it).

Pato, if there is a mechanism to expose cheating, then there is a way to circumvent it, as there is a way to bypass any other mechanism. I have never done it, nor have I ever tried to do so, and what I have written is only a conjecture on my behalf (but I think I have read something like that here on the forums -- moreover it sounds logical). I think your method could work, but 1)(insert your favourite reasons not to cheat) 2) you would have to be extra careful in order not to generate nonsensical restarts on some other games. Sooner or later it would happen (do you see how I send mails around to wrong people with wrong files? ) and if you were unlucky, you would just kill any credit you would have here (ex.: a restart on a game in the late phase just on turn with big and important battle between human players).

I have received it and sent it along. Resent it, just to be sure.

[This message has been edited by Ramillies (edited 10-10-2014 @ 08:03 PM).]

posted 10-10-14 10:13 PM EDT (US)     20 / 77  
oh, yes, i could try it on a diferent computer, diferent email, diferent games. i do really like to know all ways of cheating, so we can avoid them.

i know 1 way of cheating without restart msg, i had never used it in a real game, just in tests, but its possible, and i hope nobody uses it. never heard some1 talk about it, so i think not all players are aware of it.
posted 10-11-14 03:08 AM EDT (US)     21 / 77  
Well, I know about one another too. But I believe it's useful only on Linux, and I seem to be probably the only person to play AoW on Linux here. And if it's possible to cheat by only moving files on your computer, then we (as a community that "resides" on the Net) can't do much with it, I fear.
posted 10-11-14 06:02 PM EDT (US)     22 / 77  
Goblins - day 2

Just moving around not doing much.

turn sent
posted 10-11-14 06:11 PM EDT (US)     23 / 77  
oh, we cant hit those ghosts..
posted 10-12-14 08:33 AM EDT (US)     24 / 77  
I suggest not discussing ways to cheat in public as someone might get "inspired". Knowing about ways to cheat really won't enable us to prevent it.

posted 10-12-14 08:51 AM EDT (US)     25 / 77  
Orcs ~ Day 3

I could tell you the story of the death of Lord Inioch or of the arrival of humans or of the war that brought down the elven kingdom of Merhal. But you all know these stories because they ave been told many times.
No I will tell you a story that starts after the fall of Berhil, after the conquering humans proved them self unable to govern the realms.
You might think that orcs strive in times of chaos and rightfully so, but without a strong leader the orcs fight as much among themselves as against the other races. One such leader was Layan.

Layan came to Merhal together with her companion Muan when they heard of the chaotic state the orcish land were in. They saw an opportunity. In Eomik they won popularity promising to defeat the long time rival neighbors in Sadicar. With the aid of Eomik things went fast, on the first day Sadicar fell, on the second day goblins joined, but is was on the third day that reports came that the old border patrol of Gundar was still active...
posted 10-12-14 02:13 PM EDT (US)     26 / 77  
oh, like the hit & run "tactic"?, that i NEVER know about it, until i knew you were using it ,cause someone talk about it (and for so on, i know now how some players take advantage of the game, just for "knowing" some facts that other people don't)
I like fair & fun games, and knowing ALL the possibilities will take us on creating more and more "honest" games. I know how to cheat. but i'm not doing it. I DONT PLAY TO WIN, I like to have FUN (and with no competency there is no fun in a game like this for me) how do we create competency?
With knowledge of the game, even their imbalances and defects?. The more we know the game,and all people have access to this info, that creates more balanced games. but if just "some people" have the info for cheating.. so.. they can get "inspired" to use it..
talking is good, if you like to. =)

[This message has been edited by paatoo (edited 10-12-2014 @ 02:14 PM).]

posted 10-12-14 05:10 PM EDT (US)     27 / 77  
Pato: Hit and run is not cheating unless the rules of a game specifically disallows it. Restarting your turn is considered cheating in virtually all games. How will enabling players to restart their turns without generating restart notices create more honest games? How will it make players more competent at anything other than cheating?

posted 10-12-14 05:22 PM EDT (US)     28 / 77  
Yes, if everyone knows how to conceal their cheating, we don't get more honest games, only games that maybe look more honest -- and more "balanced" games (when everyone knows how to conceal their cheating, it's balanced from the mathematical point of view).

Probably it was not very wise to discuss these possibilities openly. I should have left it for myself, though I'm pretty sure I have this info from these forums. But where is it written, I don't know.

And hit & run -- well, if the rules don't forbid it and you have enough patience to carry it out ... I would sooner fall asleep at my keyboard than finish such a battle, especially if the number of foes is high.

[This message has been edited by Ramillies (edited 10-12-2014 @ 05:23 PM).]

posted 10-14-14 10:08 AM EDT (US)     29 / 77  
Elves - day 3!

Ts!

Pd: In the first games I played on the pc of my girlfriend so I have the "reset", but good from now on will play alone from my pc! so that no one bothers you, I'll take a lot more time playing my games xD! bad english :3
posted 10-15-14 02:59 AM EDT (US)     30 / 77  
Frostlings - Day 3

Spreading...

It has been so much since the last time I played,
that I don't even remember what PC I was on
when last played or why is this restart message...

#7373DE Human #EFB573 Azrac #4AA58C Lizard #9CC6E7 Frostling
#6BB54A Elf #EFE773 Halfling #D6AD8C Dwarf #EFEFDE High Man
#B563BD Dark Elf #F74242 Orc #BD7352 Goblin #947B73 Undead

~ Honeyvale Falls ~ won by PawelS 2011 | ~ Extremism ~ Fourth week 2012
~ Swolterwood ~ NO winner 2012 |
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Play By Email (Turn Logs) » Land of Merhal (Laplace, Radiantt, Nosferon, Boarungg, Deroman, Kani, Ramillies, Zsaber, Pato
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames