Please login or register

AoW1 Play By Email (Turn Logs)
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Proposal for new guide to house rules - please vote
posted 10-27-14 09:15 AM EDT (US)   
Dear everyone. Based on an earlier thread (http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,3263,0,365) I ask you to vote on making the following guide to house rules the standard one for the community, hopefully to replace the old one (http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,629) by being made sticky.

STANDARD HOUSE RULES

The following etiquette and house rules are almost universally observed in both competitive and friendly games. They should be assumed during any PBEM game unless there has been an explicit statement before the game is started that they do not apply.

• Do not restart the same turn to gain an advantage. You may not overwrite and then reload a partially played turn in order to replay the turn, or any part of the turn.
  • Explain restart messages. If you generate a restart message on your turn then explain the circumstances regarding the restart message to your opponents.
  • Do not look ahead to the next player's turn. You may not load games from your Emailout directory in order to look at the next player's turn regardless of whether your opponent uses a password or not.
  • Do not attack on the same turn that you declare war. After declaring war against an opponent with whom you are at peace you must wait at least one turn before attacking them. This rule does not apply if there is no initial diplomatic status between the two opponents. This rule does not apply to diplomacy with AI controlled opponent.
  • Do not declare war on the same turn that you break alliance. After breaking an alliance you must wait at least one turn before declaring war against your former ally. This rule does not apply to diplomacy with AI controlled opponent.
  • Do not use the dominate/charm/seduce and disband cheat to gain extra experience. Experience points are awarded for dominating, charming and seducing units. If you control a unit with the one of these abilities, you may not use that unit to repeatedly gain control of and disband the same units for the purpose of gaining experience points. It is understood that some enemy units may be controlled during Fast Combat, or as part of tactical strategy during Tactical Combat. These units may be Disbanded and slain, but may not be controlled a second time. Use Tactical Combat when you are slaying them to ensure that they are not controlled unintentionally during Fast Combat.
  • The use of the free movement spell on ships (transport ships, dragon ships, galleys and galleons) is not allowed. Use of the wind walking spell on ships is allowed.
  • Once you sign up you must take great effort to remain in the game until the end. You should avoid surrendering your race unless you are the only remaining adversary of a player or alliance. If you have no choice but to stop playing then you should take great effort to find a substitute player for your race.

OPTIONAL HOUSE RULES

The following etiquette and house rules are sometimes used, but should not be assumed.

• Do not look in the editor to locate points of interest on the map. You may not load the map you are playing in the editor, and then shift between the game and the editor in order to "explore" the map more efficiently.
  • Do not attack and retreat repeatedly. You may not retreat from a tactical combat in which you have attacked, shot at or used any spell or ability on enemy units unless at least one of your units have been attacked, shot at or the subject of a spell or ability by an enemy unit. The exception to the above is if either you or your enemy is unable to deal further damage. It is also forbidden to draw the same enemy stack into a tactical combat more than twice each turn. This optional rule is sometimes used to prevent a skilled human player from destroying any number of enemy units in tactical combat with just two units by repeatedly attacking, getting a shot in and retreating.
  • Do not use the Incarnate Possess/Disband cheat to gain extra movement points. You may not use the Incarnate Possess/Disband cheat which is commonly used with Archers in order to gain movement points from the possessed unit, and move your Incarnate an almost unlimited number of times per turn.

#7373DE for Humans #EFB573 for Azracs #4AA58C for Lizard Men #9CC6E7 for Frostlings
#6BB54A for Elves #EFE773 for Halflings #D6AD8C for Dwarves #EFEFDE for High Men
#B563BD for Dark Elves #F74242 for Orcs #BD7352 for Goblins #947B73 for The Undead
Thank you to TravisII for this great idea!
Replies:
posted 11-02-14 06:25 AM EDT (US)     1 / 13  
No one cares?

#7373DE for Humans #EFB573 for Azracs #4AA58C for Lizard Men #9CC6E7 for Frostlings
#6BB54A for Elves #EFE773 for Halflings #D6AD8C for Dwarves #EFEFDE for High Men
#B563BD for Dark Elves #F74242 for Orcs #BD7352 for Goblins #947B73 for The Undead
posted 11-02-14 07:32 AM EDT (US)     2 / 13  
getting effort in finishing games? thats a rule? xD

hit & run is under optional rules. i would like to put it in standard too.
and you moved fmds from optional to standard. i like it.
posted 11-02-14 08:02 AM EDT (US)     3 / 13  
I can't agree to making a rule that I (and others) dislike a standard rule. In my view only those rules that everyone currently agree about should be listed as standard house rules. Such things change. Everyone currently agree about free movement on ships. Therefore I think it should be a standard rule.

posted 11-02-14 09:41 AM EDT (US)     4 / 13  
i was just giving my point of view. so you can count me too. should we make a vote?

how many players are we actually ?

you, nosferon, radiantt, ramillies, zsaber, qweryu, pikle, laplace_demon, rodzilla, deroman, eriksson, boarungg, mac_biodiesel, me..

[This message has been edited by paatoo (edited 11-02-2014 @ 09:47 AM).]

posted 11-02-14 05:21 PM EDT (US)     5 / 13  
If anyone cares besides us?

[This message has been edited by Kanibeos (edited 11-02-2014 @ 05:21 PM).]

posted 11-02-14 07:32 PM EDT (US)     6 / 13  
I'm not very active, but I don't really object to the above rules, though I do prefer to look at the map in the editor myself.
posted 11-03-14 01:09 AM EDT (US)     7 / 13  
Well, I do agree with Patoo on this. I give my vote on the rules presented, but for addition I think attack/retreat tactic is a clear and crude way of abusing the game mechanics and impair the AI that is already, well... not exactly splitting the atom. I know there are many other ways to exploit the mechanics and AI of such old game, but for me this is the most atmosphere polluter... Could it be possible to elevate the rule as standard and leave such tactic for single player or campaign?

Well, that's my opinion. Nice effort to try and modernize the rule set, Kani! I do care, I am just going through a bit less active phase here.

-/X\(++)/X\-L.E.D. Frozen Warrior-/X\(++)/X\-
posted 11-03-14 04:48 AM EDT (US)     8 / 13  
To me it is parallel to spending 10+ turns to drive a battering ram to the other side of the AI fortifications so it won't be shot and meanwhile having placed your archers so they can get in two shots against the enemy troops before they can be attacked

posted 11-03-14 06:30 AM EDT (US)     9 / 13  
a battering ram can not take out enemy units, archers and ballistas can take out entire AI armys without being even touch. and so, the inexperienced players are the ones suffering most for it, and on my case, i dont want to spend half an hour taking the 3 staks of 8 archers/swordman/cavalliers from the AI.

if this rule is standard, it will give more variety to the game, if it isnt so, you just have to build ballistas, cause if u dont you just planing to loose. cause the others will be doing this hit & run, it can be even make with archers and take ALOT of advantage on the start of the game, i have done it on some games and i personally don't like it. time consuming, boring, and whats the point? oh, sure, winning!
posted 11-05-14 03:21 AM EDT (US)     10 / 13  
I think Patoo has good points here. Haven't you have said before Kani, that putting up too many rules might make the games more complex and harder to enforce? However have you thought that maybe the less competitive and exploititive the games are by their nature, the less need there is for enforcing and supervising the rules? I won't accept the easiness to exploit as a reason to do so. I think we are having a situation here where needs of the competitive gaming is facing the needs of casual gaming. Neither one is better than the other, but I foresee that stubborn opinions (which I could quote many here) might lead to split in the players, where some play with one rules and others play with other rules, possibly making larger games totally impossible in the future.

So I think it's not about what form of exploiting is parallel to other, but rather how we could compromise here so that competitive gaming meets casual gaming in a good atmosphere. Gaming where players don't feel mistrust to each other nor cheat because they have lost the motivation to play clean. And for the record, I do not imply anything (in case you got that impression), I think you are honest player Kanibeos and you have done much good for our community.

Others can throw in opinions too!

-/X\(++)/X\-L.E.D. Frozen Warrior-/X\(++)/X\-
posted 11-05-14 09:23 AM EDT (US)     11 / 13  
this game, IS a competitive game, we must not forget that. in the time I have playing multiplayer, I had a lot of fun when the games where straight, and moved on petty "quick". I have lost fun when I "had" to do some things on the game to keep the competitive part up, and not geting so far behind the others players. thats why I personally complain about this exploits, in MY case, they have taken the fun out of MY games. Its just that, I was feeling when playing some games, like I was going to WORK! stressed by playing, I dont want it! i'm doing it for relaxing actually..
lets keep us togheter we can reason and discuss this to take good things out of it

(english is not my native language, i apologize for that)
posted 11-06-14 02:07 PM EDT (US)     12 / 13  
I consider myself a quite competitive player and I have very rarely used the attack retreat tactic. Probably because by the time I have ballistas the AI opponents are no longer a serious challenge. Therefore I don't recognize that the tactic necessitates long turns and less variety in order for a player to stay competitive. At the same time since I believe that the tactic plays a very limited rule when allowed it is not that big a deal to me. It appears to be a important to you. Therefore I won't stand in the way of elevating the rule to standard.

Does anyone object to elevating the attack retreat rule to standard?

It would also be great if the rest of the active community would give their vote on the rules.

Also: Does anyone know who to contact in order to make a thread sticky?

posted 11-07-14 04:33 PM EDT (US)     13 / 13  
it would be nice to have more players to debate this topic. for now on, its nice to have it on optional rules (before, it wasn't even mentioned)
i don't know whats the activity of the "elite" members of the forums?
its not so big deal if it is not in sticky, cause we are so few and we "know" each other. we can make the rules really clear before starting the new games!
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 Play By Email (Turn Logs) » Proposal for new guide to house rules - please vote
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames