AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies
Moderated by Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: AOW and Windows 7
posted 08-04-09 08:01 AM EDT (US)   
Hey,

I recently got round to finishing AOW1 Cult of Storms campaign on Windows 7 (better late then never! Awesome game btw) and saw a few people asking about Vista compatibility. I can confirm AOW does run great on Vista AND Windows 7 64-bit, however there's a couple of things you should know and may have to do to get it working:

1. Firstly make sure you download and install the latest 1.36 patch for the game.

2. If you get a runtime error when running the game its because of a missing DLL file needed to run the game. Download the msvbvm50.dll from the link below and extract it do your C:\Windows\system32 folder. Then from the Run box type, Regsvr32 msvbvm50.dll to register the DLL file with Windows. Alternatively you can run Regsvr32 followed by pathname to where the dll file is i.e Regsvr32 C:\dll\msvbvm50.dll. I had to do this to get it running in Windows 7 64-bit, Vista 32-bit didn't need it.

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvbvm50

3. Disable User Access Control can help with running the game though its not always required.

4. Right-click the game Desktop or Start menu shortcut (whichever you use) and go to the Compatibility tab. Tick the box under privelges "Run the program as Administrator".

5. If your still having problems, again on the game shortcut under the same Compatibility tab you can set the compatability mode to run in Windows XP SP2 and see if that helps.

6. Vista 32-bit stores the save games in "C:\users\"user"\appdata\local\virtualstore\Programfiles\TriumphStudioes\Age Of Wonders\Saves". So thats where you can find them if needed (took me a while of headscratching to figure that out)

[This message has been edited by Sanguinius (edited 08-04-2009 @ 08:17 AM).]

Replies:
posted 08-05-09 10:29 AM EDT (US)     1 / 7  
This'll be great for when I get my new laptop soon. Thanks!

Jim Brannen
Email: branneji@yahoo.ca
Timezone: -5 GMT (New York Time)
posted 08-06-09 09:30 PM EDT (US)     2 / 7  
Actually, I was reading about Windows XP mode in 7. It seems that MS has realized that there will be a lot of pissed users of their stuff doesn't work, and so they've basically got a built in VM XP copy in at least some versions of 7. This makes it worthwhile to investigate replacing XP with, if it does. It'll probably cost an arm and a leg, knowing M$, but at least it's there.

Still unsure of whether I'll upgrade. Probably won't, but I might be persuaded to not switch to Mac if I still have my game collection.

http://grimmgames.freeforums.org/index.php

Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for life. - Karnak
posted 08-29-09 03:51 AM EDT (US)     3 / 7  
Same here. I've previously posted about my Win7 RC experiences, and now it's Win7 x64 RTM. Everything works perfectly - in fact, I did not have to mess with UAC or anything else. Just run setup, install patch 1.36, and play. All in-game settings at defaults as well, except for display resolution (set it all the way up to 1920x1200, and it still works fine - even though the background in main menu visibly wraps around now, quite funny looking).

No need to set any compatibility settings; no need to mess with sound settings either (in the past, some people had to enable DirectSound to make it work in Vista; dunno, maybe I'm just more lucky with my sound card).

By the way, I find it best to avoid all those DLL archives if possible (quite often the files that come from there are infected). You can get msvbvm50.dll (which is Visual Basic 5.0 runtime) here directly from the manufacturer: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/180071
posted 09-27-10 03:23 PM EDT (US)     4 / 7  
Hi,

I got this game out from under the dust today, unfortunately I can't seem to get it to work with Windows 7 64bit.

The game will work "fine" if the sound is disabled, but with the sound enabled it intro movie will play (with sound), and then the game will crash.

I've tried all the options in the AoWSetup program and the compatibility mode provided by Windows. -- Including the DirectSound option mentioned earlier.

This page says it should be working with Win7 64bit:
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/age_of_wonders

Is this somehow a different version? I'm using the original CD with the 1.36 patch ...

Any advice would be appreciated ...
posted 09-27-10 05:48 PM EDT (US)     5 / 7  
The re-released versions of the game have been tweaked to improve compatiblity with new machines / operating systems.

urulokiurae at gmail dot com
posted 09-28-10 07:23 PM EDT (US)     6 / 7  
I didn't feel like spending a lot of time on fixing the issue, so I bought the version at GoG.

To make a long story short: the version at GoG also didn't work, and had the exact same problem. Meh.
In the end it turned out that the Windows DEP feature was the problem -- Adding all .exe files in the AoW directory to the exclude list the game works fine.

IIRC DEP is disabled by default, so this only applies if you manually turned it on (Which is a good idea security-wise IMHO).
For information, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Execution_Prevention

I only tested this with the GoG release, I removed the other one. I suspect it will also work for the original release.
posted 02-24-15 07:56 AM EDT (US)     7 / 7  
AoW1 from GoG works great, runs out of the box on Windows 7(64-bit) !

I bought some days ago "Age of Wonders 1" from GoG (www.gog.com). No need to apply one of the Changes from the above.

GoG-AoW1:
- AoW1 already patched to Version 1.36.0053
- you can save as much/many different named files, as you like
- Sound works fine
(No need to downlaod Regsvr32 msvbvm50.dll. It is not in my "C:\Windows\system32", but runs without.)

This GoG-AoW1 runs great with Windows 7(64-bit), mabe also with Windows 8 ?
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW1 General Discussion & Strategies » AOW and Windows 7
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames