Moderated by Timelord, Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Official Heavengames AOW:SM Singles PBEM Tourney
« Previous Page  1 ··· 6 7 8  Next Page »
posted 03-11-06 12:57 PM EDT (US)   
TOURNEY IS UNDERWAY!

With the board seeing much less WL action than at any point in time before and with the FFA tournament still at the second round, this seemed the right time to hold a Singles Tourney to perk the WL registry up a bit! So, with the blessings of Hiranu, I am pleased to announce the

Official Heavengames Singles Tourney for AOW:SM

Rules:
- You should have the 1.4 patch installed!!
- All standard House Rules will be in effect. Optional rule of "surrender off" will also be in effect.
- All games will be registered in the Wizard's Ladder with fixed points.
- Read the map descriptions for the games carefully! (very important). All have special win conditions.
- The maps chosen are quite balanced and have been tweaked a little to incorporate the new units and structures from 1.4. If you do encounter what you think is a balance issue, you are welcome to report it here but the games will not be restarted or cancelled. Make the best of what you have and can find.
- Each game will have a Turn log thread. I recommend logging your turns with just a TS atleast. A more detailed turn log will make it interesting for readers though!
- Unexplained absences of more than 7 days will automatically forfeit the game. There are going to be no substitutes in this Tourney.

The winner of this tourney will be declared the

PBEM Singles Champion

More incentive to give your best!

Round 1 (worth 3 points):
Round 1A on the modified version of Horza's Gravedigger map is almost over.
Round 1B on the modified version of Passion and Poison has just started.

Round 2(worth 6 points):
Round2-1: Swolte vs Torso
Round2-2: Costa vs Rorschach
Round2-3: Timelord vs Kraka-Tur
Round2-4: Fubarno vs Henrysix

Round 3(worth 9 points):

Round3-1: Round2-1 winner vs Round2-4 winner
Round3-2: Round2-2 winner vs Round2-3 winner

Round 4(worth 12 points):

Final: Round3-1 winner vs Round3-2 winner

May the best man win!

Scoreboard...
(will be updated once a week or when I find time)

2009 1v1-Mapmaking Champion, Former PBEM Singles Champion, Proud contributor to the UPatch 1.4 and 1.5 effort
War of the Twins- 1 vs 1 PBEM map, Too Much Water - 1 vs 1 PBEM map, winner of 2009 1vs1 Mapmaking Challenge
My Dragon Age development blog

[This message has been edited by Timelord (edited 02-27-2007 @ 03:32 AM).]

Replies:
posted 10-20-07 01:14 PM EDT (US)     281 / 306  
Round 3 has started with a map called Human Valley

H6 vs Swolte
and
Kraka-tur vs Costa

Watch and enjoy!
posted 11-14-07 06:01 PM EDT (US)     282 / 306  
Costa defeats Kraka-tur
posted 11-14-07 06:19 PM EDT (US)     283 / 306  
Congratulations to costa!

I'd like to admit that this map (Human Valley) has to be corrected, it has a fault - during the whole game dark elves were not able to find a passage to the elves territory. Arachna had the strongest army but was not able to use it. The only fight she had, was the killing of my scouts.
On the other side, Marinus several times attacked me.

For the whole game Elves never met either dark elves nor halflings.

I think the passage dark elves - elves must be widen.

[This message has been edited by KrakaTur (edited 11-14-2007 @ 06:19 PM).]

posted 11-15-07 06:57 PM EDT (US)     284 / 306  
Well done Costa and congratulations! Now we wait for the other match to finish.

The map for the finals is not completed yet and I hope to have an announcement about it soon (I'm working with the mapmaker on it)

Appreciate your comments about the map Krakatur, it is always difficult to know how the AI will react and how they will impact the game. I worked hard to create a good balance and anything that created an imbalance was unintentional. The turn logs from a couple other games on this map (and my playtest) indicate that the Dark Elves did make it through the passage so they can do it (but maybe there could be some more incentives for them to do it). Others have also provided some feedback as to some minor changes that could be done to further improve the map. Thanks!

(edit:fixed spelling error )

[This message has been edited by Enginerd (edited 11-15-2007 @ 09:22 PM).]

posted 11-15-07 08:57 PM EDT (US)     285 / 306  
Dark Elf AI does attack in my game, though. Not too heavy, however.

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 11-16-07 05:36 PM EDT (US)     286 / 306  
About The Dark Elves in the game with KrakaTur:
I had one battle against the dark elves. Early on I
took a village in the darkelves territory. Killing a
few units. After that I had 8 men defending the village, so it took some time before Arachna made a counter move. When some strong units were getting close, I fled. For the rest of the game I placed 16 men blocking the path to my land. Arachna never came close during that time.
But anyway, I feel that I also used some resources to hold my western border.
posted 11-27-07 01:31 AM EDT (US)     287 / 306  
H6 was defeated today!

My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 11-27-07 09:38 PM EDT (US)     288 / 306  
Congratulations.... a newspost will be made soon to announce the final round of the tourney along with the map.... Hope to get it out soon.

Final Round
Swolte vs Costa!
posted 12-01-07 11:08 AM EDT (US)     289 / 306  
Newpost has been made and map selected. Thanks to King David for his help on the map

click here for the newspost

click here if you want to play a game on the map being used for the final round.

Game will get underway in about one week. Good Luck!
posted 12-08-07 06:59 PM EDT (US)     290 / 306  
Due to the fact that a great and glorious battle between Cherubs is about to commence (and the fact that Costa is unavailable to play for a couple weeks ) the final round will begin at the end of the month.

In the mean time..... Timelord and Enginerd will duke it out on the map being used in the finals under the guise that are playtesting it for balance (when what they will really be doing is having fun thumping on each other )

Turn logs for their game, check it out Battle of the Cherubs - Timelord vs Enginerd
posted 01-09-08 10:38 PM EDT (US)     291 / 306  
Final round of the tourney has Begun:

Swolte vs Costa!

Good Luck! you can watch the match here
posted 04-18-08 02:51 AM EDT (US)     292 / 306  
Game over, Costa was defeated!

posted 04-18-08 03:08 AM EDT (US)     293 / 306  
So I was beaten by the champ!

Congrulations and thanks, Swolte
posted 04-18-08 05:01 AM EDT (US)     294 / 306  
Wow, Swolte, way to keep all the honors to yourself!

Congrats, you won against tough competition!

[This message has been edited by fromage67 (edited 04-18-2008 @ 05:01 AM).]

posted 04-18-08 10:23 AM EDT (US)     295 / 306  
It would be really awesome if some of these players would come out now to challenge Swolte (in no special order):

• Dafyth
  • Fubarno
  • Henrysix
  • Timelord

Those are mi candidates (actually, in alphabetical order ).

Congratulations Swolte!
  • posted 04-18-08 12:33 PM EDT (US)     296 / 306  
    Congrats, chief!
    I've played with Swolte 1-on-1 before and so has H6. I'd really love to see Dafyth take on Swolte!

Guess I finally have to start work on updating the Ladder now!

2009 1v1-Mapmaking Champion, Former PBEM Singles Champion, Proud contributor to the UPatch 1.4 and 1.5 effort
    War of the Twins- 1 vs 1 PBEM map, Too Much Water - 1 vs 1 PBEM map, winner of 2009 1vs1 Mapmaking Challenge
    My Dragon Age development blog
    posted 04-18-08 12:43 PM EDT (US)     297 / 306  
    Swolte??? Why, he's not even very good at this game! My heroes have killed at least two or three of his scouts over the years!

Author of the following maps for AOWSM:

Version 1.4 - Race To Death: Rise Of Evil
    Version 1.3 (also playable in 1.4) - Race to Death S&M - Walker's Crusade ====== This Land Is My Land ====== War In The Valley

Proud member of the Upatch Team

posted 04-18-08 12:55 PM EDT (US)     298 / 306  
    - Grabs microphone on stage -

First of all, thanks to all the contestants who let me win. Its a tough choice between risking a ban, and defeating your Seraph!

Seriously, though, I feel slightly embarrassed about winning this. I am glad its over, because I did take it more seriously than how I normally play. It therefore took quite a bit of time and effort before I was comfortable starting a match.

I (almost) liked all the maps. They really made every match a different experience. In each map I could unlock a different strategy. On some maps I relied a lot on transports, others on sneaky tricks, or a wide open blitzkrieg! My opponents required different adaptations as well, however, I think I got the initiative in most of my games quite early.

The previous is also a tribute to the organizers, and I want to thank Engineerd and Timelord specifically for that. They did it in an excellent and collaborative manner (working with mapmakers and play-testers!) and also didn't hesitate to poke the participants when needed (I have some bity emails from Engineerd about hurrying up).

In sum, great tournament, and thanks for the congrats!

- Puts mic down -

[This message has been edited by Swolte (edited 04-18-2008 @ 02:27 PM).]

posted 04-18-08 07:00 PM EDT (US)     299 / 306  
    Congrats Swolte!

I second Timelord's idea too It would be nice to watch some kind of PBEM Champions League over the years

Tired of manually receiving/sending your PBEM turns everyday ? Try out Dave's PBEM Wrapper!
    posted 04-18-08 07:43 PM EDT (US)     300 / 306  
    Well, I am thinking about organizing a mapmaking tournament for tournament maps and then shortly after we could have another PBEM Tournament and use those maps.

I am hoping that people like Dafyth, Chascal, and Greenmonster will sign up as well!

posted 04-18-08 10:43 PM EDT (US)     301 / 306  
    Congrats Swolte... well done!

Many thanks to all who participated, I enjoyed playing (and getting thumped on mostly).

Maybe this can be a milestone event that helps get the wizard ladder revitalized!
    posted 04-23-08 02:19 PM EDT (US)     302 / 306  
    Lol! Congratulations Swolte! ^^

Keep up with the tournaments!

Are you threatning me master jedi?
    posted 04-25-08 03:49 PM EDT (US)     303 / 306  
    Well, I am thinking about organizing a mapmaking tournament for tournament maps and then shortly after we could have another PBEM Tournament and use those maps.
    Nice idea, although only the mapmaking will take probably a few months.

What about a "blitz" tournament using small random generated maps, modified to achieve some balance.

Using the Swiss system where all players participate in all rounds. And, at the end, the player with more points is the tournament winner.

It does not have to be WL, we could do it just for fun.

It is necessary to define some kind of "point earning" system, right?, using quests, flags, etc.

Well, hope you like the idea, I had too much time off today at work

Edit: BTW, I am thinking of 1 vs 1 matches only

[This message has been edited by Unnapu (edited 04-25-2008 @ 03:52 PM).]

posted 04-25-08 11:45 PM EDT (US)     304 / 306  
    Nice ideas!

I am kinda sold on the idea of a mapmaking tournament first, though. And it doesn't have to take many months. In fact, we'll make sure not to allow maps too large!

Ps, that swiss system, would that mean that people would always be playing other players? In other words, can you meet the same opponent twice?

[This message has been edited by Swolte (edited 04-25-2008 @ 11:46 PM).]

posted 04-26-08 11:33 AM EDT (US)     305 / 306  
    In other words, can you meet the same opponent twice?
    Well, after every round the organizers try to prevent that, but, sometimes it is inevitable
    Basically, this system attempts to "pair" players of equal strength though every round, using a points system as a filter.
    I would like to explain here how it works, but I am afraid my english wont be good enough
    Perhaps someone else reading this could help and, of course, there is always wikipedia support
    posted 04-28-08 06:22 AM EDT (US)     306 / 306  
    how do i participate in a tournament like this.
    and when is the next tournament?
    « Previous Page  1 ··· 6 7 8  Next Page »
    Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs) » Official Heavengames AOW:SM Singles PBEM Tourney
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames