You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs)
Moderated by Timelord, Enginerd, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: 10Round1 Game26 Oceania (Castanieda vs Timelord)
posted 09-05-10 10:36 PM EDT (US)   
2010 Singles Tournament: Round 1
Game ID: #26
Map: Oceania

------------------------------------------------------------
O'Brien - Castanieda - ro-probst AT t-online DOT de
Goldstein - Timelord - timelorddc AT gmail DOT com
------------------------------------------------------------

Important reminders
* You are expected to be familiar with ALL the rules and official announcements as posted here.
* You MUST log (only 'ts' will do) your turn at least once every 48 hours or be subject to tournament warnings which may result in your disqualification.
* Please give notice of any absences longer than 48 hours in this thread.
* Houserules are in effect. Be aware that the MIGRATION TRICK (OR) is not permitted as well.
* You MUST password protect your turn.

Good luck to all, and have fun!

2009 1v1-Mapmaking Champion, Former PBEM Singles Champion, Proud contributor to the UPatch 1.4 and 1.5 effort
War of the Twins- 1 vs 1 PBEM map, Too Much Water - 1 vs 1 PBEM map, winner of 2009 1vs1 Mapmaking Challenge
My Dragon Age development blog
Replies:
posted 09-06-10 01:20 PM EDT (US)     1 / 26  
OŽBrien Day 1,

Goldstein is the opponent, Goldstein is mighty mighty. The world is actually trembling upon the very name only being said aloud!
OŽBrien trembles too but trembling opponents become more unpredictable per trembling degree. Given the vast amount of our trembling, Goldstein has almost lost already!

ts
posted 09-07-10 01:02 AM EDT (US)     2 / 26  
Goldstein - Day 1

The first hesitant steps have been taken and already a unit had to be sacrificed - if only to save my only flier and another higher-ranked unit.

Turn sent

2009 1v1-Mapmaking Champion, Former PBEM Singles Champion, Proud contributor to the UPatch 1.4 and 1.5 effort
War of the Twins- 1 vs 1 PBEM map, Too Much Water - 1 vs 1 PBEM map, winner of 2009 1vs1 Mapmaking Challenge
posted 09-07-10 06:11 AM EDT (US)     3 / 26  
OŽBrien Day 2,

after the trembling has somewhat faded, we notice that most of my folks can actually swim. We use this wondrous ability to carefully cross the nasty waters that we are surrounded by.

ts
posted 09-07-10 07:41 PM EDT (US)     4 / 26  
Goldstein - Day 2

If only I can gain levels like my warriors, I would be level 3 by now!

Turn sent

posted 09-07-10 08:47 PM EDT (US)     5 / 26  
OŽBrien Day 3

why am I still surprised about Indies killing my units from far away within one go? First units lost, very annoying!

ts
posted 09-07-10 09:22 PM EDT (US)     6 / 26  
Goldstein - Day 3

I'd like to know where O'Brien is coz he is not where I expected him to be!

Turn sent

posted 09-07-10 09:38 PM EDT (US)     7 / 26  
OŽBrien Day 4

the OŽBrien that is still left, is where he still is feeling cozy and warm and understood. In the upmost corner of his island...

ts
posted 09-07-10 09:45 PM EDT (US)     8 / 26  
Goldstein - Day 4

It is tempting to believe O'Brien is far from his capitol, especially with the lack of domain around his hero but we take no chances. We sacrifice a lurker to gain a Crusher.

Turn sent

posted 09-07-10 10:10 PM EDT (US)     9 / 26  
OŽBrien Day 5

itŽs been so peaceful, for one day!
Now it seems, weŽre at war, at serious war! Of course, being more of a greenpeace type, weŽll offer peace to our intruder!

Yet, he should be ashamed of his aggressive behaviour!
posted 09-07-10 10:24 PM EDT (US)     10 / 26  
O'Brien - Day 5

We pursue O'Brien's hero-led forces. My troops outnumber his 2-1 but he is just a little over a day away from his capitol and who knows what reinforcements are en route.

Turn sent

posted 09-08-10 05:43 AM EDT (US)     11 / 26  
OŽBrien Day 6,

My troops are outnumbered because the other half is stuck on our mother island. Some genious idea must quickly pop up or this war is over far sooner than even we expected!

ts

P.S What tourney engine is it, that lets an amateur like me play against Timelord?
Life is not fair! ;-)
posted 09-08-10 07:26 AM EDT (US)     12 / 26  
Goldstein - Day 6

Waiting for a means to get through to the island. Not being able to build a ship sucks

Turn sent

posted 09-08-10 07:54 AM EDT (US)     13 / 26  
OŽBrien Day 7

the "means" are obvious. Waterwalking seems a viable option and Goldsteins knight is already capable of doing it.
At least a lurker was dispatched of. But who knows how many of them are out there?

Time is running out....

ts

[This message has been edited by Castanieda1 (edited 09-08-2010 @ 07:55 AM).]

posted 09-08-10 08:17 AM EDT (US)     14 / 26  
Goldstein - Day 7

While I am casting the enchantments, my troops played a game with Winston Smith and he lost. O'Brien's swimming units are no more...at least what he had till now

Turn sent

posted 09-08-10 08:25 AM EDT (US)     15 / 26  
OŽBrien Day 8

the days of mourning have begun! Sure to be out of Goldsteins reach, Winston felt secure on the water only to wake up dead the next day

ts

P.S ThereŽs a great german word to describe the experience of playing with Timelord: "Lehrgeld"...Im paying a lot of it right now.
posted 09-08-10 08:35 AM EDT (US)     16 / 26  
Goldstein - Day 8

Casting the enchantments is a time-consuming process. We use the time to do a little more exploration.

Turn sent

posted 09-08-10 09:00 AM EDT (US)     17 / 26  
OŽBrien Day9

trying to find a way to recover...

ts
posted 09-08-10 08:26 PM EDT (US)     18 / 26  
Goldstein - Day 9

Marshaling the forces for the invasion

Turn sent

posted 09-09-10 06:26 AM EDT (US)     19 / 26  
OŽBrien Day 10

a last hope has perished. A Quest reward was so ludricous, as if to laugh upon our misery!

preparing the funeral ceromonies...

ts
posted 09-09-10 07:37 PM EDT (US)     20 / 26  
Goldstein - Day 10

Moving forward to the crossing...

Turn sent

posted 09-10-10 05:56 AM EDT (US)     21 / 26  
OŽBrien Day11

thereŽs times that start badly and end badly. Our brave units that had to execute the nature quest and raze a node were brutally slain during night by the revenging air spirit. The idea that 3 slithers were all killed without even doing one scratch of danger fits our situation....

Now all left to do is pick the music for the funeral. Mahler or Mozart what shall it be?

ts
posted 09-12-10 12:53 PM EDT (US)     22 / 26  
Goldstein - Day 13

...and so it ends. Good game, Castanieda.

Turn sent

posted 09-12-10 01:46 PM EDT (US)     23 / 26  
Ladies and gentlemen, live at the scene here where Timelord has obtained his first victory against Castanieda.

Timelord, congratulations, what are your thoughts on this game? Did it go easier than expected?

Castanieda, sorry to hear about your loss. How did you experience this game, and do you blame the map for the defeat?

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 09-12-10 02:11 PM EDT (US)     24 / 26  
OŽBrien Day....ups day purly gate,

first and foremost, congrats Timelord!

Im in an awkward position to give out judgement on a map when it is so obvious that I would have lost on any map agains TL! Also with reverse sides on this this remains out of question.

but....

I do think that the humans side plays easier whereas the dracos are kind of tricky. For example I pretty much did what TL describes as a viable tactics for the Dracos and as soon as possible took my water walking units to rush the continent. But there, instead of finding an efreeti and a Dyinn (both floaters) in the circus, I found a bunch of pretty low levels ground units. And TL, of course perfectly aware of how to best play the humans rushed immediately, So on day 3 or 4 my stack of 5 units was confronted with TL 10 units. So I had to retreat to my island. And from then on you can watch your opponent take structures and gain power by the day (I dont want to forget that I made a big mistake, leaving my stack too close to TL, who already had water walking thus killing my only potent units).
On top of all that I got crappy spells (no enchants, no dispell magic at the beginning)
I think it is a great map but definately leaning toward the humans. The Dracos are great for the experienced players to whom i do not belong!

Great game TL, I wish IŽd have had more skills to tickle you at least a little bit!

P.S to answer the question: Yes I blame the map on being defeated! :-)

[This message has been edited by Castanieda1 (edited 09-12-2010 @ 02:13 PM).]

posted 09-12-10 02:45 PM EDT (US)     25 / 26  
I still think the Draco side is viable but obviously needs to play better than the humans. If anything, the town randomization could have been removed (or at least the shrines) and the campsites set.

posted 09-12-10 07:05 PM EDT (US)     26 / 26  
Congrats to Timelord! I sure hope my strategy as O'Brien works out for me
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Play By Email (Turn Logs) » 10Round1 Game26 Oceania (Castanieda vs Timelord)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames