You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoW2/SM Scenario Design
Moderated by Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: NEW Mapmaking by email /MMBEM) project - based on DWIGGS MOD!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 8 9 10  Next Page »
posted 12-29-07 06:21 AM EDT (US)   

D E S C E N T_ _TO_ _U N D E R M O U N T A I N

Community Project

thatīs the heart of it

Ok guys and girls.

Itīs time to come along with details on the next project Iīm planning - and I hope, I can count on some of you mapmaker-experts out there to join in and become a member of a team that is up to create the ULTIMATE multiplayer and/or pbem map of all times !!!

Before I go into the details, hereīs what Iīm looking for:

Iīd love to enlist some experienced mapmakers, preferably with a unique, inventive (mostly referring to desgin aspect) style to this project!
They should be interested in working in a team on ONE single (XL!) map which will contain (as I prefer it ;-) again a -maybe not totally- but at least partly, new concept!

AND: They need to be willing, to do it in the fantastic DWIGGS mod, as the amount of possibilties is sheer endless with this monster-mod!

For more info, check the other mmbem threat in this section which contains tons of info, how it works.
I will not change too many things of this successful working process: It will be like one person is working on the map for some days (for instance 4 days), send it back to the project leader (me ) and Iīll send it on to the next person.
The changes to the old mmbem project will be:

- Iīm not going to send the map on to somebody, whoīs got no time to work on it. While person A is currently working, Iīm going to ask the next one (B), if heīs got time after Aīs working time is over. If B tells me, he/she will have no time, Iīll ask C and so on...

- I would like to keep the number of involved team-members a little lower this time. Maybe 4-6 is what I could imagine but hey - Iīm happy If I get somebody enlisted at all

Now to the Details :

The map will be called: Descent to Undermountain

It will be a PURE dungeon map, means, the upper level will also be Caverns! and the shadow world will be some kind of Dungeon level 3.
Some of you might have heard of Undermountain - the legendary, sinister, most dangerous dungeon known to any creature!
All imaginable (or non-imaginable) kinds of monsters, races, whatever lives,lurks down there and thereīs hardly a more dangerous place to be found anywhere.
Not neccessary to mention, that the treasure, that is to be found down there, is also unimaginable and most of all - unknown.

But not completetly unknown...

Legend has it, that a mighty artifact - or more: A SET of artifacts - lies hidden and scattered within this dungeon!
Each single artifact is unique as it contains mighty positive attributes combined with negative attribute on it.
BUT: If the Set is COMBINED and worn TOGETHER, the negative attributes are completely wiped out and the set makes the bearer INVINCIBLE - IMMUNE to everything.
He/She will become a god!

Itīs not hard to imagine, that many parties are interested in getting this set!

Therefore, each of them (all wealthy personalities) has entered the first level of the dungeon, set up a base (starting town) and begins with hiring a band of mercenaries.

These mercenaries are going to investigate the complex dungeon.
Who will be able to achieve the set - containing 8 pieces as legend has it - first and thus, win the contest?

There are, of course , tons of details to give away at this point of time, but I donīt want to share them here as they should be kept secret in order not to give away too many infos to people, who later want to play the map.

Therefore, If anybody is interested to join in this monster project:
Post here and/or write me an email to: Kimmuriel at gmx dot de

MOST important thing: In regards to map design: I keep it up to everybody, how he/she enriches the map with his/her ideas!. This is why Iīm looking for exceptionally gifted persons in order to create something fantastic consisting of totally different styles!
(I have some names in my mind that I could mention here with whom I wished to collaborate but I donīt want to give away names and hope, that they join in !!

This project is perfectly suited for a MMBEM, as Undermountain has no limits. Everything is imaginable, no rules (almost none - but those will be shared offline as I said - together in the close circle of trust, which will arise soon hopefully )
Looking forward to getting feedback.

Morgul

============================================================

The grid:

Current Entrant List:
  • Morgul666 [A1 complete] & [B2-D2,B3-D3 complete] & [A4 complete] & all remaining parts that were not completely filled by any of the below mentioned (Email: Kimmuriel-at-gmx.de)
  • ECThelion_21 [B1 complete] (Email: cornelis17_3-at-hotmail.com)
  • PSYKITTY [parts of B4,C4] (email: psykitty1@yahoo.com)
  • LAL [parts of E3,E4] (Email: frerelal at hotmail dot com)
  • Kaskoid [first design concept of A2-A3] (Email: tkask@cinci.rr.com)
  • ravencourt [parts of D1,E1] (email: robin-rod@hotmail.com)
  • Albaron [C1 complete, parts of D1] (email: albaron@onlinehome.de)

Wizard List:
  • Bregan Daerthe [Dark Elves] [A5] (Designed By: Morgul) [red]
  • Lord Murray [Humans] [A1] [white]
  • Tatharon [Archons] [E1] (Designed by Ravencourt) [blue]
  • Zoonä [Undead] [D5] (Designed by LAL) [violet]
  • The Morrigan [Syrons] [A1] (Designed by Psykitty) [brown]

• Author of the following maps for AOWSM:
    Version 1.4: DEMONWARS II (Transcendence & Immortalis)
    Version 1.3: (also playable in 1.4) Gates to another World 1.4
    ><-><-><- Planning replaces coincidence by error. -><-><-><-

[This message has been edited by morgul666 (edited 12-03-2008 @ 09:24 AM).]

Replies:
    posted 12-20-08 12:20 PM EDT (US)     361 / 385  
    after another huge testgame today I think the time has come to upload the map!

Unfortunately, the random spwan routine is not working in continuous mode (I always play classic-mode, therefore I didnīt discover it until some days ago...) so I guess, it will also not be working in multiplay mode.

Only in pbem and single player mode with 'classic' turn setting.

As Iīm completely tired and sick of trying to fix ANY bug anymore, I donīt care at all for the time being. This is something I will look after in a couple of weeks or so after some complete absence from this map-project.

I hope, people will enjoy playing this monster-map and that even some people without mod-experience can be won for this map and the great Dwiggs mod in general!

Thanks to all of you who participated in this project even if it didnīt work out exactly as Iīd hoped for!

Letīs start the first pbem in a couple of days!!!!

cheers
    a completely map-making-exhausted Morgul

Author of the following maps for AOWSM:
    posted 12-21-08 02:30 AM EDT (US)     362 / 385  
    Map now available for download. Merry Christmas!

CG

ChowGuy - The LaChoy Dragon - Servant of the Tiger and disciple of the Wanderer
    The Hall of Wonders - HeavenGames Fantasy Role Playing and Creative Writing Forum
    posted 12-21-08 02:56 AM EDT (US)     363 / 385  
    Thanks!

The first update version now also

merry christmas also from my side to everybody!!

M

posted 12-22-08 03:38 PM EDT (US)     364 / 385  
    morgul666:

Thanks for all your hard work and effort; I look forward to playing the map real soon.

To all of you that worked on this project, however much or however little--congratulations on the finishing of this effort.

Merry Christmas, or Happy Hanakuh, or Happy Solstice, or whatever you celebrate this time of year. May you be fortunate enough to spend the holidays with family and loved ones doing things you enjoy. (Like bashing halflings...)

Arch-Enemy of the Annoyingly Dense
    Practitioner of Whimsy
    Celt,Finn & Swede Elder Gamer
    posted 12-24-08 02:45 PM EDT (US)     365 / 385  
    It looks quite impressive. What a unique project!

I'll be in for pbem!

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
    My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
    Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
    My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
    Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
    posted 12-27-08 11:38 AM EDT (US)     366 / 385  
    For whatever reason, I can't get this thing to load and play. As I had a small part in it, it is very frustrating, to say the least.

Practitioner of Whimsy
    posted 12-27-08 11:56 AM EDT (US)     367 / 385  
    are u sure that you:

a) put the right resources (that were shipped with the download) into the "user" folder and chose them in the setup.exe? (The resources were updated a million times since the last version that I sent you some month ago...)

b) have Dwiggs 5.0 installed properly?

c) couldnīt think of anything else other than I remember that we once had huge trouble with the map when you sent your latest version to Ravencourt (who stated he never touched it and sent it directly on to Albaron) and the map was totally corrupted (Wizards were exchanged and certain other things) ?!? so maybe you should really check your Dwiggs Version, installment??

??

posted 12-27-08 04:47 PM EDT (US)     368 / 385  
    Installation - instalment has a different meaning...

But I'm certain with somebody as enormously gifted and talented as Kaskoid, it couldn't be such a simple solution, he would have worked that out for himself.

"Shooting down a plane of civilians isn't careless, it's politcal opportunism." - Stormraider
    posted 12-28-08 04:14 AM EDT (US)     369 / 385  
    Installation - instalment has a different meaning...
    something in the back of my mind told me as much when I was typing it but a combination of laziness & other problems at that time prevented me from checking whether it was correct or not
    But Iīm always happy (honestly!) to see you correcting my mistakes - thatīs the way how we are all learning, isnīt it?

posted 12-28-08 11:19 PM EDT (US)     370 / 385  
    This map seems very nice.. I'll try to get other online players interested and get a game going. (we rarely play custom maps)

Maker of the CoMA and Strange Lands mods.
    Check out the AoW Chatroom
    posted 12-29-08 07:54 AM EDT (US)     371 / 385  
    The map IS very nice

I've been playing it, and decided to post here. Congrats on the effort guys!!!

So far I had no big problems with it. Sometimes it takes long (up to too long - 5 mins) for AI Wizards and Indies to move (playing Classical Turns), but then I reloaded and it went faster.

Again, congrats

Artist, Sorcerer, Monk and AoW Series fan
    Proud citizen of BRASIL \o/ |o/ \o| \o/ |o| /o/ \o/
    Blog with some art
    www.the-battlefield.com ex-member with fond memories:Battlefield Player of the year 2003;Battlefield Winner of 4 Tourneys;Battlefield Winner of AoW league 2004
    Proud owner of an AoW SM poster signed by Devs!
    Please try the fantastic BNW Mod made by my friend Kirky Picardo! The best AoW:SM Mod!
    posted 12-29-08 11:24 AM EDT (US)     372 / 385  
    Thanks guys!

Itīs good to see that the effort was seemingly not worthless!

I uploaded an update yesterday which enables one of the specials of this map - the random spawns - also in continuous mode!
    Thus, much faster gameplay is guaranteed!
    Due to the still quite long movement of the AI/Indies, the random spawns still do not work 100% perfect (because at least in the beginning of the game, the human player ends his turn before the AI could move the random stack from where they emerge to the place from where they will be teleported to somewhere within the dungeon) but this will change at a later point when the human playerīs turn takes longer!

I would be highly interested in how the map works in mutliplayer mode.
    At the moment, I have no time to do an online game but maybe at a later point of time but please let me know, if it works or if it simply takes too much time for online play.

M

[This message has been edited by morgul666 (edited 12-29-2008 @ 11:26 AM).]

posted 12-29-08 12:13 PM EDT (US)     373 / 385  
    I was wondering if it were possible to include a document with some of the general history of the map? Just the information all Wizards share. Like that name of the roaming creator of the realm, the artifacts, etc... *

When I have played a pbem turn and I am writing the log, it helps to have some 'offgame' knowledge to refer to. I sometimes write down some scribbles when I am playing but I always manage to lose these pieces of paper... It can also lead to embarrassing situations. My friend found some notes the other day and she exclaimed: "Need to get the armament of Gorm? - unimpressed look - Is that what you really wanted for Xmas?".

Since I am playing the map *blind*, I can't, and don't really want to check the editor.

Really enjoying the atmosphere so far. Can't wait to receive the turns and discover! The idea to choose your Heroes is truly brilliant, as you feel even more connected to them.

As for participation, its really, really hard to get a lot of noses pointed in the same direction and keeping activity high. I find that often a small core team works easiest, especially when you want to finish a project.

My compliments so far, to Morgul and the mapmaking team!

~ S

* Perhaps post it in the pbem thread header.

My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
    Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
    Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008

[This message has been edited by Swolte (edited 12-29-2008 @ 12:19 PM).]

posted 12-29-08 01:44 PM EDT (US)     374 / 385  
    Lol !!!

Can imagine the situation with ur friend, hahaaaa
    My wife thinks Iīm mad

If I told you how many such papers existed on my desk during the whole mapmaking process youīd call me a liar.
    Itīs almost a three digit number, so far I can tell -> big papers... Some still do exist.

regarding the Information about Undermountain:

Donīt be so impatient

Weīve played only till turn 2 so far.

Till turn 10 or so youīll know much more than you do now.
    and you donīt have to further keep your handscribblings...
    Everything which is vital will be popping up as a quest.
    Also your fabulous armament of gorm

I thought it a good idea not to give away all info at once but rather in pieces - one after the other ...

First gather your team, then gather info. Slowly...

always slowly...

I hope weīll have funny and nerve-racking pbemīs !

posted 12-29-08 01:57 PM EDT (US)     375 / 385  
    I had to do a complete un- and re-install on my AoWSM to solve a graphics glitch that sprang up out of nowhere.
    I downloaded Descent again; I extracted everything but the resource file to Scenario/Custom as always; then extracted Resource to User as directed.
    When starting game with Dwiggs resources installed/selected I have no problems. When Descent resources are installed/selected, the game won't even boot up now.
    Before that, game would boot but no scenarios would play as the load bar would get to about 80% and stop.

Practitioner of Whimsy
    posted 12-29-08 02:09 PM EDT (US)     376 / 385  
    well... If you were the first player to test this map beside me I would be very worried now...
    But in fact you seem to be the only player so far who has this problem.
    Itīs very difficult up to impossible to make a statement what could be the rootcause for this problem. I have to admit it sounds weird.

I tell you what I would do if I were you: I would de-install EVERYTHING that has to do with AOW (EVERYTHING!) and would install the game new (maybe on a different drive as well (to be on the save side) which is only possible of course if you have more partitions than C: )
    then I would re-install AOWSM, patch 1.3, 1.4 , DWIGGS 5, and if the map doesnīt still run then...then I would check if thereīs an apple imprinted on your computer...
    (sorry for that one - I tend to talk BullS.. when Iīm running out of good ideas...

posted 01-01-09 02:07 PM EDT (US)     377 / 385  
    This issue I'm having with trying to play this has gone from annoying to irritating, and is threatening to become maddening before too much longer.
    As outlined above, I have followed SOP, as well as extra extraction to Resources.
    For unrelated problems which apparently turned out to be video driver issues, the whole game was removed and re-installed, and new drivers downloaded for vid card. Every single other application or program is operating correctly.
    However, when DtU resources selected, the game will not boot up, let alone play. I am stumped...

Practitioner of Whimsy
    posted 01-02-09 03:54 AM EDT (US)     378 / 385  
    If I could beam myself right infront of your PC (it definately seems to be a PC ) Iīd do it to check myself whatīs going on.
    I canīt help myself but I highly assume that a silly mistake like weīre all doing them at times must be the rootcause but I couldnīt think of any other than that maybe the wrong resource folder has been copied in another folder than "User" ?! (but I think you have done all this stuff often enough so that shouldnīt be the case...!?)

It worked in the beginnig when we started the project - why shouldnīt it now?? Only because many more changes were done on the resources? Nay...

I will send you a screenprint of my settings in the AoWSM Setup.exe in a second that you may doublecheck everything.

Maybe somethingīs wrong there? wrong language?? (no way - Iīve also chosen english )

posted 01-03-09 10:52 AM EDT (US)     379 / 385  
    Nothing I have done has rectified the situation.
    I guess I am simply doomed never to play the map I helped make...
    It simply will not load.

Practitioner of Whimsy
    posted 01-05-09 04:40 PM EDT (US)     380 / 385  
    Kaskoid, are you able to open the editor with the DtU resources selected? If yes, try re-saving the resources from the editor and see if the game boots up.

2009 1v1-Mapmaking Champion, Former PBEM Singles Champion, Proud contributor to the UPatch 1.4 and 1.5 effort
    War of the Twins- 1 vs 1 PBEM map, Too Much Water - 1 vs 1 PBEM map, winner of 2009 1vs1 Mapmaking Challenge
    My Dragon Age development blog
    posted 01-06-09 02:07 AM EDT (US)     381 / 385  
    somebody else reported a similar (the same?) problem in the game thread. I answered but I doubt that what I wrote is really the solution to his problem (it might be though, given the fact that he missed out the point with choosing the DTU-resources in the AOWSM setup.exe before starting the map). But while this guy could not start the map he was at least able to open it in the editor.

posted 01-06-09 03:25 AM EDT (US)     382 / 385  
    Kaskoid:

on this thread somebody had a similar problem as you had and the solution was pretty simple:

http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=32&tn=5307&st=recent&f=32,5307,0,60

Please check, that you copied the DTU resources into the right folder

AOW/USER/resources (I think there are several folder in the AOW Directory named "resources" for whatever reason so the chance to copy them in the wrong folder is given...On the other hand, you wouldnīt be able to pick the DTU resources from the AOWSM SETUP.exe but I think you havenīt ever confirmed anywhere that you in fact chose the DTU resources there before trying to start the map.

It all makes somehow sense to me... Iīll never forget that one session in a pretty early map-status when you forwarded the map to Ravencourt after adding your portion and Ravencourt forwarded it again to Albaron without ever touching it and the map was totally corrupted...

Maybe you never really worked with the DtU resources without ever knowing it ?!?!

Itīs just an idea...

M

posted 01-10-09 03:14 PM EDT (US)     383 / 385  
    If the resources were not in the right folder, I wouldn't see them in the setup.exe, would I? I did see them, and I have used Explore and determined that they are in the right place.

I will check the Editor angle and let you know.

Practitioner of Whimsy
    posted 01-11-09 12:56 PM EDT (US)     384 / 385  
    After interminable, fiddling, diddling and twiddling, I can finally play DtU! I have no idea whatsoever how I finally got it to work, but it does.

Practitioner of Whimsy
    posted 01-11-09 05:03 PM EDT (US)     385 / 385  
    Glad to hear that! Would have been a shame. Especially since you worked on this map yourself as well!

« Previous Page  1 ··· 8 9 10  Next Page »
    Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Scenario Design » NEW Mapmaking by email /MMBEM) project - based on DWIGGS MOD!
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames