Please login or register

AoW2/SM Mod Making
Moderated by Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Resstr.mld responsible for spell names and other such questions
posted 12-14-06 07:41 PM EDT (US)   
What file is are responsible for spell names?

Ever since I manually installed gloranthia according to rosens instructions dwiggs spell names are off. Like fire spirit has the name of fire element and giant beetle, basalisk. (yes I switched over to the dwiggs file, least Im pretty sure it is. someone even sent me what they said was a dwiggs resstr.mld file and all them except th aog one are exactly the same size)

I asked rosen a number of questions about these files a few times but got ignored.

Also am I to understand stranger that dwiggs replaces more then resstr.mld? What other files?

I've heard a number of complains about dwiggs silently replacing these files BTW. I recommend having a dwigg install version that only places a file named dwiggs resstr.mld and tell people they need to switch these files. That and/or develop a program that automatically switches with a click. Like rosen tries with aog(currently incompatable with win98 though). Of course if you did, it would be nice if you worked with rosen to make sure of compatability and not replicate efforts.

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 12-14-2006 @ 07:44 PM).]

Replies:
posted 12-15-06 04:11 AM EDT (US)     1 / 16  
This is, unfortunately, a known issue. AFAIK, three mods change the ResStr.mld files: BlackRose's LOTR, Age of Glorantha and Dwiggs 1.4. The problem is that when these are installed, switching back to standard AoW requires a file swap, and if the .mld file that was in use before AoG installation was not the regular one the version that is restored is not standard.

I think you should look for a file named ResStr.mld.Dwiggs14 or something similar in your AoW directory to restore Dwiggs names, TruePurple. My installation has it since I DLed and installed Dwiggs1.4. I cannot remember if the installer asked me whether I wanted to replace the standard file with it, though.

I am currently planning a set of NSIS scripts that solve this issue. These installation programs work under all Windows version and are far more effective than DOS scripts, so the problem should be solved for AoG. However, the coexistence of several mods is a more complicated issue. I think PawelS is planning something that addresses this subject for UPatch 1.5.

Paolo Guccione
Alephtar Games
posted 12-15-06 04:34 AM EDT (US)     2 / 16  
I made a back up of the dwiggs ResStr.mld. Someone even sent me a dwiggs resstr.mld file (least thats what he said it was) As I said in my initial post.

So it is resstr.mld that is soley responsable for spell names? If so, what the hell is going on then?!

P.S. AoG didn't put any such file "ResStr.mld.Dwiggs14" in aow directory or aow/dict.

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 12-15-2006 @ 04:38 AM).]

posted 12-15-06 05:22 AM EDT (US)     3 / 16  

I'll make some more investigations this weekend.

Paolo Guccione
Alephtar Games
posted 12-16-06 05:25 AM EDT (US)     4 / 16  
I created the 1.4 installer for Dwiggs and AFAIK, Dwiggs installer doesn't replace any file 'silently' except for the ugpm ones and in that case, it is better to have the latest ones.
You should find ResStr.mld.Dwiggs14 in your dict directory when you install Dwiggs. If you had changed it later to ResStr.mld to play Dwiggs with the new names, switching to different mod versions/standard version should be taken care of by you.

As Rosen said, Pawel is working on something like that for 1.5 but its not even a concrete idea yet.

Quoted from TP:

P.S. AoG didn't put any such file "ResStr.mld.Dwiggs14" in aow directory or aow/dict

Rosen said...

Quoted from Rosen:

I think you should look for a file named ResStr.mld.Dwiggs14 or something similar in your AoW directory to restore Dwiggs names, TruePurple. My installation has it since I DLed and installed Dwiggs1.4.

2009 1v1-Mapmaking Champion, Former PBEM Singles Champion, Proud contributor to the UPatch 1.4 and 1.5 effort
War of the Twins- 1 vs 1 PBEM map, Too Much Water - 1 vs 1 PBEM map, winner of 2009 1vs1 Mapmaking Challenge
My Dragon Age development blog
posted 12-16-06 07:20 AM EDT (US)     5 / 16  
TL, I've gotten many a report from people who have installed dwiggs and were frusterated at everything suddenly having dwiggs names. A number of which didnt even know of resstr.mld so they couldn't have manually replaced it. So obviously dwiggs does so automatically.

@TL's rosen quote
And I said its not there!! Never was there as far as I know. Lets ask other people who have installed dwiggs and see if they have ever had such a file.

Anyways I've had people who report seeing everything as dwiggs names send me their resstr twice (two different people) Yet it still doesn't show dwiggs names. Something about the gloranthia installation has it locked into regular names. Maybe resstr isn't the only file responsible for spell/race names? Maybe some gloranthia script is doing some weird run around of the resstr file?

[This message has been edited by TruePurple (edited 12-16-2006 @ 07:23 AM).]

posted 12-18-06 04:04 AM EDT (US)     6 / 16  
In fact there is another file, aow2.mld, that is changed. As I recovered a working CD reader, I am sending you all the "regular" files, plus dwiggs, in a couple of hours, so that you can restore a "regular" situation.

I have written an NSIS installer for AoG 2 that solves this problem, so users of AoG will not experience the same problems with the final release. Including Win98 users...

Paolo Guccione
Alephtar Games
posted 12-18-06 07:50 AM EDT (US)     7 / 16  
Hmmm, I made a back up of aow2.mld as well as aow2ed.mld Resources.mld & ResStr.mld before replacing them with the glorentha versions. Then used those backups to replace them back. But maybe the partial install already replaced these files under dic director before I backed them up?

I wonder then why its showing me names in plain AoW SM and not glorantha then.

So dwiggs replaces aow2 and ResStr.mld but only those two files?

posted 12-19-06 05:07 AM EDT (US)     8 / 16  
3 dwiggs resstr.mld sent to me and I still don't see dwigg names. Why don't people answer my questions or hear me when I say its clearly not just about the resstr.mld file?
posted 12-19-06 06:40 AM EDT (US)     9 / 16  

Quoted from TP:

3 dwiggs resstr.mld sent to me and I still don't see dwigg names. Why don't people answer my questions or hear me when I say its clearly not just about the resstr.mld file?

The Dwiggs installer installs only one mld file - resstr.mld file. Further, the 1.4 installer doesn't replace the default file with Dwiggs at all. It just places a file called ResStr.mld.Dwiggs in your Dict folder and you have to change back and forth with the standard version if you want Dwiggs names and standard names. The Dwiggs_1.4patch installer replaces the Resstr.mld file directly. No other mld file is touched via the patch installer too.

I have done a clean reinstall of SM on my office machine and have reinstalled Dwiggs 1.4 and I see exactly the same behaviour as I have described in my posts.
The spell names are present in the Resstr.mld file alone. I have checked this and it works for me - I have one email game going on with Dwiggs and I see the new spell names.

Edit: And please try to relate to what is being said with who is saying it. Rosen said Glorantha will replace aow2.mld - not that Dwiggs is replacing it.
So, you clearly are doing something wrong if you cannot get the spell names to appear after putting in the Dwiggs resstr.mld file. I'd suggest reinstalling the Dwiggs_1.4patch to get the Resstr.mld file again rather than borrowing from other players.

2009 1v1-Mapmaking Champion, Former PBEM Singles Champion, Proud contributor to the UPatch 1.4 and 1.5 effort
War of the Twins- 1 vs 1 PBEM map, Too Much Water - 1 vs 1 PBEM map, winner of 2009 1vs1 Mapmaking Challenge

[This message has been edited by Timelord (edited 12-19-2006 @ 06:42 AM).]

posted 12-19-06 09:45 PM EDT (US)     10 / 16  

Quoted from timelord:

The spell names are present in the Resstr.mld file alone.
I'd suggest reinstalling the Dwiggs_1.4patch to get the Resstr.mld file again rather than borrowing from other players.

A dwiggs resstr.mld file is a dwiggs resstr.mld file. Whether gotten from someone else or put in place by a dwiggs install. I would think that would be obvious.

Rosen said Glorantha will replace aow2.mld - not that Dwiggs is replacing it.

Its not just spells that have wrong names, fey show as syron and deamons as shadow deamons. The corrections to that in dwiggs is all in Resstr.mld?

posted 12-20-06 01:35 AM EDT (US)     11 / 16  
*sigh*

I don't think there was anything ambiguous in what I said earlier. Resstr.mld is the only file installed by Dwiggs and it contains the changes to all names.

If you won't take the advice offered to reinstall the Dwiggs patch and continue asking the same question again and again, there really is no point in giving answers, is there?

Quoted from TP in post 10:

Rosen said Glorantha will replace aow2.mld - not that Dwiggs is replacing it.

Quoted from TP in post 7:

So dwiggs replaces aow2 and ResStr.mld but only those two files?

I'd suggest reviewing your post after posting it because the above certainly led me to believe that you believed otherwise

posted 12-20-06 02:57 AM EDT (US)     12 / 16  

Quoted from timelord:

Resstr.mld is the only file installed by Dwiggs and it contains the changes to all names.

Then why don't I see dwiggs names when I use a dwiggs resstr.mld file?? I wonder if the gloranthia installation is working around the resstr.mld file or something else, I don't know.

I shouldnt need to reinstall any of dwiggs if what your saying is true timelord.

posted 12-20-06 06:05 AM EDT (US)     13 / 16  
There is absolutely no way to work around the resstr.mld file. Period.

Nor does the current Glorantha installation do anything else other than replacing files. The next version will do something more, but at present it is safely locked within a folder in my laptop.

Paolo Guccione
Alephtar Games
posted 01-08-07 08:09 PM EDT (US)     14 / 16  
Then why don't I see dwiggs names when I use a dwiggs resstr.mld file?????????!?
posted 01-09-07 03:48 AM EDT (US)     15 / 16  
Uhm, you better ask The Stranger about that

Paolo Guccione
Alephtar Games
posted 01-11-07 04:50 AM EDT (US)     16 / 16  
Problem solved, I needed to set it to english instead of auto in set up.
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Mod Making » Resstr.mld responsible for spell names and other such questions
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames