Moderated by Swolte, Ziggurat Mason

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Middle Earth Mod
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 10-26-09 02:12 AM EDT (US)   
Hello and welcome,

Please read the opening post, then reply away!

Current items wanted:

-Seeking a Gandalf the Gray ilb, and other hero ilbs (I want the hero graphics to be distinct from regular units).

-Ideas for races.

-Anyone interested in editing city images for Maiar and Rohirrim?

Items completed:

-Spells tentatively renamed and spheres assigned to Manwe, Ulmo, Aule, Varda, Yavanna, and Melkor.

-Global spell effects for Flash Flood, Plague of Neekerbreekers, and Rockslide are functional!

[This message has been edited by The_Stranger (edited 11-01-2009 @ 00:42 AM).]

Replies:
posted 11-11-09 01:13 AM EDT (US)     41 / 65  
Hello Beren,

You are correct in that no new abilities can be made. Thus all the abilities that I’ve mentioned are based on existing abilities. Some of them will be modded in terms of the visual effects chosen, others in terms of the damage types and so forth. But all listed so far work quite well. The same will hold true for spells. For example, I have entangling woods, flash floods, rockslides, and so forth, that all work quite well, though there are a few glitches that I need to iron out.

Melkor’s sphere is definitely the most diverse, although the others are more element based than alignment based. Keeping all the useful spells and giving each sphere five spells per level, not many decent spells are left over for a cosmos sphere. The few nice remaining spells I thought I’d use as rewards of the Valar.

Thank you for the feedback on Gandalf and Saruman. I’ll follow your advice there. Also, on the steed of Rohan, I’ll make it grace of Manwe as well.

Now, in regards to gunpowder, while explosives existed (firecrackers, tricks of Saruman—and I’m keeping those) nowhere in Tolkien, at least that I’ve read, is there mention of guns. In the Hobbit, Goblins are credited with many of the devices that kill many people at a time, but this refers to our world, not the Hobbit’s. There are plenty of abilities that can replace the gunpowder ones also, which makes the decision an easy one for me.

What I’m curious about is whether there are any abilities not in Shadow Magic that you would like to see in a Middle Earth mod. Some abilities are quite flexible in terms of what you can achieve. For example, in another project that I was working on, I managed to get a working Invoke Death ability out of Strangle, and Blood Lust out of Shadow Walking. Also, if there’s anything that doesn’t seem to fit and shouldn’t be in such a mod, I’d like people to mention those things too.

Thank you for all your feedback so far!
posted 11-11-09 02:10 PM EDT (US)     42 / 65  
i'm wondering how you will do trample too but there IS a poison breath attack. Beren must not have gotten the memo.
posted 11-11-09 11:35 PM EDT (US)     43 / 65  
Concerning spheres, there is no reason why a single spell cannot belong to multiple spheres, just as a spell could easily belong to no sphere, not even Secret (which would disable it). As such, there is no reason why you couldn't add a seventh sphere of your choice - the only problem would be that everybody would have access to it.

As for guns, again I am not objecting to your taking them out - only to the statement that others have made on this board that they must be taken out. I am curious as to how you turned Strangle into Invoke Death, or Shadow Walking into Bloodlust!

-Heir to Beleriand, Heir to the Silmaril, Chosen of Illuvatar-

GM of the Glory of the Past Middle Earth Roleplay Thread

Creator of the New Keepers Campaign
posted 11-12-09 00:12 AM EDT (US)     44 / 65  
Hello Beren,

And I'm pleased to say that I've had some success recolouring various Elvish units, and so we seem to have three fully functioning Elvish cultures now: Noldor, Teleri, and the Fell. They all look different enough to satisfy me too

Regarding abilities, for some reason I hadn't realized that the maximum assignable damage was more than 20. And so, for Invoke Death, I changed its damage type to "death," gave it a damage value of 99 and watched what ensued. Occasionally, a unit would not die when hit due to low damage, but for the most part it works really well. And the ai seems to use it decently, which is always tricky when changing abilities.

The blood lust was done by changing attack and damage values for Shadow Walking, changing the spell icon, and substituting the "fury" fx for the shadow walking one.

So, no completely new abilities, but abilities that are new enough to make the game feel new, I hope!

Can you think of some naming ideas for Holy Bolts, Fire Bolts, and Lightning Bolts?

Cheers,

Brad
posted 11-12-09 08:20 PM EDT (US)     45 / 65  
Hi Brad,

I do not like calling #12 Steeds of Rohan either. While wonderful horses, they were not really magical.

In terms of the renaming issue, I would point you to the final appendix in the Sil - titled ELEMENTS IN QUENYA AND SINDARIN NAMES. This could be what you are looking for. You might need to actually do a little "inventing" yourself, but the spirit of Tolkien would be there. For example, you do not want to use holy or death, but their Tolkien equals are "aina" and "gurth" and already there is a different feel to them. You could look for something to combine that with or just leave them as is.

If you want more specific input, I would be willing to venture a few. However, it would be easy to get lost in this area and rename many items, spells, etc..
posted 11-12-09 10:18 PM EDT (US)     46 / 65  
Hello Katieandbo,

And thank you for your response. What I would like is something that is not language specific to a given race, but simply Tolkien like. So, instead of death, something to do with Melkor, shadows, ect. Instead of life, something to do with Valinor, Varda, and so forth.

I'm actually quite happy to rename most of the spells and abilities...it's not much work to actually do once I've got the ideas. I've been concentrating on recolouring units lately, and so have not had much time for naming and so on. So, any thoughts you care to share would be very welcome.

Cheers.
posted 11-12-09 11:49 PM EDT (US)     47 / 65  
Well, just a little backstory: the original power of Melkor - before he became evil - was the extremes of nature, "immoderate" heat and cold. I wonder if you could work that in somehow.

posted 11-13-09 02:47 PM EDT (US)     48 / 65  
If the mod is intendend to single player too or coop vs AI, I think a good idea is to make separate single player variant. With some tweaks for better ai. For example, in my own private mod I am making some races playable only by AI. So, they have much better units etc. Also, some spheres are for ai, that way they contain only spells ai can use better way. It is possible to make 2 variants, good human vs evel ai and good AI vs bad human. With very enhanced ai races. I prefer single player now, but ai is way to weak ordinal way.
posted 11-14-09 03:59 PM EDT (US)     49 / 65  
Hi Violet,

And tricks that you want to share for making the ai perform better would be welcome! I've looked at Web Server's mod for better ai, and adopted some of his changes but I'm always looking for anything that will make the tired old ai perform a bit better.

Also, I missed responding to Pawels' suggestion that the Istari be wizards. I'm not sure this would be implemented all this well. Gandalf ran around so much, he doesn't seem to suit a stationary wizard. Saruman, on the other hand, would make the perfect wizard.
posted 11-15-09 04:03 PM EDT (US)     50 / 65  
The wizards don't have to be stationary, in my pbem games they often travel a lot. On a LoTR map, Gandalf can be a wizard without a tower, while Saruman of course has one.

Not sure about Radagast, he didn't play a very important role, so he can be just a hero (I'm not sure which race).

Blue Wizards - not much is known about them, I think they can lead the Easterlings or Haradrim in more speculative scenarios.

Melian can be a wizard too, she ruled in Doriath together with Thingol, who can be a hero.

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.
posted 11-16-09 09:08 AM EDT (US)     51 / 65  
Hi Brad/Stranger!

A LoTR Mod sounds very cool, good luck in this ambitious project.

I highly recommend getting in touch with Kirk and Awegust. They were developing a LoTR Mod some time ago, check this thread: http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=26,5084,0,365

It seems it has been paused/discontinued but maybe with your assistance they could get it done? To me it always seemed such a shame that project wasn't finished; the previews they provided were absolutely stunning.

cheers!

Artist, Sorcerer, Monk and AoW Series fan
Proud citizen of BRASIL \o/ |o/ \o| \o/ |o| /o/ \o/
Blog with some art
www.the-battlefield.com ex-member with fond memories:Battlefield Player of the year 2003;Battlefield Winner of 4 Tourneys;Battlefield Winner of AoW league 2004
Proud owner of an AoW SM poster signed by Devs!
Please try the fantastic BNW Mod made by my friend Kirky Picardo! The best AoW:SM Mod!
posted 11-17-09 03:52 PM EDT (US)     52 / 65  
Hello Merk,

I sent you an email yesterday, but I'm not sure if you got it. I also emailed Awegust, and he indicated that he simply doesn't have enough time to work on his mod anymore. So, full steam ahead here!

Good to hear from you :-)
posted 12-07-09 00:28 AM EDT (US)     53 / 65  
We were wondering if there were any updates available.

Get the unofficial Patch v1.4. here!
My best AoW-Sm map: Drums of Death (This is the multiplayer version; for single player, or AI use different version)
Other proud AoW-sm maps: The Key of Kharzul, The Fight for Light, Waikiti Island, Goldrush Mountains
My proud AoW2 maps:The River Arne
Coordinator of the v1.4 and v1.5 patchteams, Seraph of AoWHeaven, PBEM Singles Champion 2008
posted 12-07-09 00:55 AM EDT (US)     54 / 65  
Yes: I've got the unit bodies sorted and the units made and documented in excel format for about 2/3 of the races (good and neutral). I am working on evil ones at the moment. I've also got most of the spells and abilities renamed, though I need to test some of the spells.

I've also started working on a map for "The Hobbit."
posted 12-08-09 00:36 AM EDT (US)     55 / 65  
Fascinating and ironic - the map that I was going to release along with my Arda Mod was to have been a Battle of the Five Armies map. It seems we share quite a lot in the instinct department!

posted 12-08-09 02:20 AM EDT (US)     56 / 65  
Hello Beren,

I'm not sure what I'll do with "The Hobbit" as a map, yet. I may make two maps: one, a role playing single player version, and number two a pbem five player version. As for now, I'm just trying to get the landscape right. I have a collector's edition Hobbit book, which has nice maps, but if you know of anything more detailed, I'd like to have a look.

Regards,

Brad
posted 12-08-09 11:59 PM EDT (US)     57 / 65  
I don't have any really detailed maps that I think you could use, unfortunately (and what I have is on a computer that will need some work to connect it to the internet again).

posted 12-09-09 03:55 PM EDT (US)     58 / 65  
That's all right, Beren Mainly, I'm interested in town locations for such a map. Clearly, one can scatter Gobbo towns around the north, woodsman villages around Mirkwood and so on, but if there some definite locations, I would prefer to use those.
posted 12-09-09 04:03 PM EDT (US)     59 / 65  
The most detailed Middle Earth maps that I know of (including the stuff from The Hobbit) are there:

http://www.lords-of-blah.nl/mearth/mearthmap.html - black, white & red version

http://www.ititches.com/middleearth/ - colored version

The maps are a bit different, some stuff from one is not on the other, and vice versa.

A proud member of the Unofficial Patch team.
Creator of the AoW1 Mod.

[This message has been edited by PawelS (edited 12-09-2009 @ 04:10 PM).]

posted 12-10-09 01:42 AM EDT (US)     60 / 65  
Hello Pawels,

And thank you for the maps very much! They are both a bit different, and have more detail than my map.

Also, if anyone knows of any sites with good non game affiliated middle earth art, I'd appreciate knowing about them.

Cheers,

Brad

[This message has been edited by The_Stranger (edited 12-11-2009 @ 02:22 PM).]

posted 01-12-10 09:45 AM EDT (US)     61 / 65  
Brad,

Been over a month now. How is the project going?

Mike
posted 01-12-10 09:26 PM EDT (US)     62 / 65  
Hello Mike,

And progress has been made...I think there will be a fairly substantial report by the end of the week!

Cheers,

Brad
posted 01-13-10 10:43 AM EDT (US)     63 / 65  
Glad to hear that. I look forward to your post.

Mike
posted 01-21-10 09:13 PM EDT (US)     64 / 65  

Well, it's a bit later than I typed, but here's the news:

Kirky Picardo, maker of the Brave New World Mod, had also been working on a Middle Earth Mod. We've decided to combine our efforts and hopefully produce a Middle Earth mod for the ages!

I'll be opening a new thread soon for updates, suggestions, teasers, etc.
posted 01-22-10 09:27 AM EDT (US)     65 / 65  
Brad,

Thanks for the update. Will be looking forward to hearing more about the combined effort.

Mike
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven » Forums » AoW2/SM Mod Making » Middle Earth Mod
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Wonders 2 Heaven | HeavenGames