Single Player?: Yes
Co-Op vs. AI?: No
PBEM/Hotseat?: Yes
Multiplayer Online?: No
# of Wizards: 2
# of players: 2
Skill Level: Average
Password Protected: No
Welcome to your TNS, that's right, the Tournament News Station. Today we are pleased to announce that the last straw broke the camel's back, the mouth has been opened and the foot inserted for the last time. The.. the... well... you get the idea. The Flanders brothers have agreed to a duel! That's right, Flander the Wizard vs. his twin brother Flander the Knight will battle it out for bragging rights in their homeland of Enioch.

Now, I know what you're saying, how come they're both named Flander? Well, that's a long story for another day that involves goblin apprentices and squires and a mug (or more) of ale. But today, we bring you the Battle of Enioch.

As you may recall, Enioch was once a great and thriving land. It has been said that Meandor spent much of his childhood here. In fact, this vacation spot was visited by noble families from many lands. Some still recall the times when Fangir and Mab played side by side as children, with Sarena and Arachna watching from a distance. Who could forget the time Marinus fell into that bog, Yaka called it a mud bath. Karissa always seemed to spend time hanging out with Sahira. Oh, those were they days, and then... they all grew up and the friendships were lost, the rest is history. Their family retreats and villas still stand today but have been all but forgotten, falling into great neglect over the years. No one has visited in ages, the saddest site lies at the heart of the land, where sits the Flander Family Homestead, atop a now dormant and snow covered volcano. This mountainous land is rich in history and childhood friendships, and now it has been turned into a battleground… for Flander and Flander.

Can Flander the Wizard lead his Apprentice, that Dear Little Boy, to victory? Can Flander the Knight with the help of his Squire be victorious? Oh this is going to be a great battle that we're sure to see fought time and time again.

Stay tuned, for the next installment of the TNS where we will discuss the strategy or folly of the initial first steps of these players. Until next time, your TNS is signing off.

--------------
Play with Sanctuary disabled (no lvl 4s), no customization
Designed for 1v1 but possible to play SP (don't expect much from the AI though)
Online play and/or simultaneous play may have problems with the starting events so play Classic turn mode.

This map was created as part of the 2010 1v1 map making competition. Special thanks to my two playtesters who had fun with an early beta version. Thanks Unicorn77 and Oleg. Also thanks to Swolte for feedback on the starting items.

Version 1 - same version the tourney judges received.

Tourney Version - updated for the 2010 1v1 tourney finals. Following changes were made:
1 - removed "spy" TNS reports
2 - added some digable terrain underground for more access/options
3 - added some mountain passes aboveground for more access/options
4 - changed the teleporter in the SE to a cave entrance
5 - relocated the prod resources underground 57,24,1 to 57,26,1 so they can now be used for the capital (same as on other side of map)
Feel free to provide feedback so I can update and make a new and improved version.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Timelord Hey Enginerd,
Great map though I guessed as much once I went through the events. This map is a very good example of staying in character throughout and one that is well-balanced. One point that might not be to everyone's liking, especially when playing competitively, is getting intel via TNS. Some of them are obvious anyway (like hero death) but when a particular town was captured can potentially give away the strategy.
Also, it would be better to provide escape routes across the mountain barriers - basically, to make the approaches flexible.
PvP takes quite some time to come into play. Perhaps have the spawn-in earlier?

All that said, this was a great map that ended up almost at the top in my ranking. I'll post a review once you upload a revised version. Maybe even a 1vs1 game?

Edit: Forgot the starting items. Vision 4 on a small map can be a deal-breaker.

[Edited on 04/15/10 @ 09:25 PM]

ibobs
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
This is very good. We are playing and up to turn 45 or so and it is still a game of cat and mouse where the cat seems to change sides as many times as the mouse.

Balance: 4
I am not sure in a long term engagement like we are having whether there is a money advantage from the evil sides - goblin vs elf - but then again maybe that is my fault for non-conversion. But then again my opponent has several thousand gold in reserves and I have basically nothing except day to day costs and a few extra troops.

Also the first choice of items is nicer for the wizard

Creativity: 5
Fab.

Map Design: 4
Good stuff.

Story/Instructions: 5
Got to give full marks here for TNS. A laugh.

Additional Comments:
This is a good good map.! Congrats on winning the tournament!

As to a tournament map I have a couple of comments:-

1) The item choice for Wizard Flander can give an advantage.
2) There is no way to meet before turn 10-15 depending on whether you summon over the wall. You cannot get the corner city, produce a champions guild and then a digger before the free digger turns up. All well and good for how I like to play, but it does not make for a quick map.
3) I'm sure there was something else I meant to add but I forget now... ;)

But as I say, we are loving playing this map and it is probably the most enjoyable contest me and my standard opponent have had!
rat_peddler I will not review as I play single player. As stated the AI does not handle this map well.

I think a single player version would be easy to make. Just make one side AI only. Then give it the best item for an AI and put them in their capital city.

It was still fun to play to explore but no real threat.
Charx Just a short note: I wanted to play this map in simultaneously LAN mode, but it does not work because the second player won't be teleported to the items. But i think this should be somehow possible with proper event implementation (i know it means a lot more work). So my suggestion is: Maybe next Christmas, you send your family to church alone, faking some pain in your stomach because of too much eaten food. When they are gone, you will have probably more than 2 hours to fix this map, what do you think?
Swolte
Staff
PLAYABILITY

I'll start with this quote from iBobs, as it summarizes the one big problem I have with the map. Ironically, iBobs meant it as a compliment...
;)
----------------------------------
Playability: 5
This is very good. We are playing and up to turn 45 or so and it is still a game of cat and mouse where the cat seems to change sides as many times as the mouse.
----------------------------------

This would make the map impossible to play for tournaments... It confirms the feeling I had when I looked at the map. I didn't really see a lean and fast tournament map! In theory, with careful players, it can take 20 days before you get first blood (if they don't go through underground). So, I see long drawn and epic battles, which is great... but simply not for tournament maps!

However, this is not beyond fixing, of course! TL already hinted at some things. We definitely need more connecting sites. Perhaps some more ways to get to the surface would certainly help, as well.

Love the creativity with the choice of the items. I don't think we have seen that before in maps!

BALANCE
I think the balance is good. It will need a bit more thought regarding turn effects (and first choice of items), but overall, I am quite confident being able to win (or lose) with each side.

Oh, have you considered the Wizard razing the UG teleporter and then the Knight can hardly get up to the surface again?

ATMOSPHERE
Superb! Although I agree with Timelord those TNS messages can be an annoyance from a strategic perspective, they can also be seen as an integral part of the strategy. For example, avoiding taking things to not get those 'progress' messages may spread misinformation. And there's also still a lot left that IS unknown... (+ I can see the Flanders getting irritated at the TNS giving away their strategy... :p)!

In sum, a great effort and worthy winner of the competition. Especially once its made to play faster!
ibobs Hi Swolte - my later comments did also mention that this would be too slow for a tournament map... :)
Ibobs

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0