Map Size: XL
Levels: 2
Single Player?: Yes
Co-Op vs. AI?: No
PBEM/Hotseat?: Yes
Multiplayer Online?: Yes
# of Wizards: 8
# of players: 8
Skill Level: Any (depends on AI difficulty setting)
Password Protected: No
Recently i decided to finish my map Valleys of the Lost II , which had been waiting for release since 2003(ish). I already had a playable version ready at that time but got sidetracked by other games. I finalized it with upatch 1.4 ; updated the scenery slightly(not much though) put together a hero picture collection (which can be downloaded here: http://aow2.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=1058 )added events and new items.

Features:
-Highly detailed world
-Custom hero's and items (alott of new hero pictures)
-High replay vallue (i hope) since you can choose out of 8 wizards

What you can not expect: A big story.
There is a background story and a few popups but otherwise not much. Imo as you replay the map you will skip the story anyway.

Update:
3 versions are available now:
VotL2gve3-2-3:
3 good starting races: Elves,Dwarves and Archons.
2 neutrals races: Nomads and Draconians.
3 evil races:Dark Elves , Orcs and Undead

VotL2-2e4n2g:
2 evil starting races: Dark Elves and Orcs
4 Neutral races:Frostlings , Nomads, Draconians and Humans.
2 good races: Elves and Dwarves.

VotL2-gve4-4
4 good starting races:Archons, Syrons, Elves and Dwarves.
Against 4 evil races: Dark Elves, Undead, Orcs and Shadow-demons.

Anyway i hope you'll enjoy the map as i enjoyed making it.

PS:
If you find flaws , mistakes , bugs, broken events, empty signs etc. or have any other idea's, remarks or comment(s) just email me (damon.rellik@gmail.com)or make a comment here and i'll rectify/implement it
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
ibobs Good stuff that I have seen so far. Very tough though. My one comment so far would be maybe you should consider a serious warning on the teleporter to gateway room or whatever it is called. Coming out to meet a stack of 8 area guards is very nasty and could end your game real quick. ;)
Maybe you could move the teleporters a few more days away from the start positions as I was tempted to charge straight through with my one stack.
Just some thoughts.
Cheers

[Edited on 09/17/10 @ 07:52 AM]

Damon Rellik
File Author
As far as scouting goes, i gave as a start message a warning to take a strong scouting party. But then again the area guards after the gatewaychamber are indeed stronger then most.So yes you are right, after thinking it over, i'll implement a warning. What race did you start with anyway?
ibobs We are playing undead vs archon.
rat_peddler
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 5
Map was very fun to play. More then I would have thought at first.

Balance: 4
AIs aren't real strong but enough independents to make it a challenge to expand.

Creativity: 4
Interesting suprise teleporters, etc...

Map Design: 5
Good mix of open navigation on surface and more restricted in the underground.

Story/Instructions: 4
Good background and some interesting if not too important of pop-ups.

Additional Comments:
I liked that there was a variety of statuses at the towns etc. Some area guards, some guards and some garrisons. It made approaching each town interesting.
Violet Lev
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 4
map is too easy

map is not balanced against ai

Creativity: 5
great

best map design I have ever seen, looks like real magic land. Most important map is not full of towns

Story/Instructions: 5
not applicable to this type of maps

Additional Comments:
I suggest to make many different variants of the map for each human player, and give other ai players big starting army, vast domain etc.
Damon Rellik
File Author
@rat_peddler and Violet Lev :
Thank you both for your favorable reviews and ofcourse the time you took in doing so.

As for difficulty lvl that varies ofcourse per person, if you take for instance the comment from Ibobs, he did find it very tuff. And i must admit i only recently started playing again after 6 years, the first few times i played the map i had difficulty to keep the AI at bay.(although i admit i might not be the best player around :p) Now i find it rather easy.
Atm i am trying out the map with BNW-mod, which spices things up a bit. I could make different versions for each player like Violet Lev suggested but what sets me back from that is the only major flaw i think the editor has and that is not having a copy-event function.
But i am still contemplating about it though.
Tx again.
Violet Lev Do not enhance AI with evenets, AI could not use event units properly. Creating many versions is quate easy. Just need to create one with all strong AI wizards, and for each player position load ai map and create one player pos and save.
Violet Lev Btw, events could be copied with ctrl-c ctrl-v.
Rattomalato This is a great map! I love the heroes and the descriptions!
ibobs
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 4
A very nice map that allows for lots of space and roaming. The beginning is tough in PBEM as I mentioned - as you have to be aware of area guards attacking in the night. As the days go by it does get a lot easier though.

Due to the variety of terrain, I think that the AI suffers with expansion as it is not so bright. I also have found a lot of archon and undead cities on the map that are independant. This is not an issue in our game as we are playing archon v undead :), but if you play a neutral side, then you might be at a slight disadvantage with oncversion time. Still good though.

Creativity: 5
Very good

Very good

Story/Instructions: 5

Additional Comments:
My only other comment is that there are no real direct avenues of attack. This is ok for humans, but this also impacts on the AI.

Congrats for the map.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.3