Single Player?: Yes
Co-Op vs. AI?: Yes
PBEM/Hotseat?: Yes
Multiplayer Online?: Yes
# of Wizards: 8
# of players: 7
Skill Level: Advanced
Password Protected: No
A very large map (3 levels, small shadow and cave level) for 7 players and a strong Ai. Made for BNW 3.2. An Upatch version may follow.

All races have support events for the Ai.
Starting races:
*Humans
*Orcs
*Dark elves
*Shadow Demons
*Asgardians (Frostlings)
*Halflings
*Undead/Arabians (Tigrans)

*Syrons (Ai only position)

Update v1.1 (Thanks to Roger for some very fast feedback!)
-------------
* Removed the razeable seeing waters that can cause crashes.
* Made the initial orc position easier.
* Changed some things so the Syron Ai won't immediately kill the undead/arabian player.
* Fixed a lot of small bugs and other things.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Natsu just downloaded i will rate it soon =) it's been a long time since someone uploaded a map so this is something of great importance.thanks up front.
RogerRabid
(id: Roger the Rampant)
EDIT: did a proper full review subsequently.

[Edited on 11/22/10 @ 10:00 AM]

rat_peddler The Asarians receive too much hassle from the AI. By the time I had one level 4 unit, I was facing stacks of Eternals. The only city not in the posion, damnation, and fire domains is the home city. I made the mistake of trying to expand and then lost my home city.

I find the run times way to long because of all the resources the AI has to manage.

I could not recommend either the Halfings or Frostlings as viable races for single player.

UPDATE:

I had left the Syron AI at the Emperor level on 1st try. King on the second.

I have now started with updated version on Orc as that was noted as fixed. I put Syron AI at Lord level. Run times are still long, but at least there does appear to a be some glimmer of hope ;-)

UPDATE2: Playing the Orc against CPU Lord. I am still alive and trying to find the Syron HQ. I can just barely move around with two uber heros in one stack. There are only 2 other AIs left and one is the humans which are pretty safe. A great game if you are a masochist.

[Edited on 11/14/10 @ 03:55 PM]

RogerRabid
I had the syrons set to CPU Squire, possibly that was what kept the turn times reasonably bearable? Actually on some turns it wasn't the syron player that finished last out of the AI-controlled races.
rat_peddler
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Playability: 4
Very long run times probably due to the dominate AI.
Balance: 4
Once set AI to CPU Lord there is a chance to more around.
Creativity: 4
A really amped up AI!
Map Design: 4
This is strongest part of the map. Interesting navigation issues and a vareity of towns and cities with different settings.
Story/Instructions: 3
None really.

Additional Comments:

This is based on playing the Orc race.
Duffydodo Hi Lord Duck,

I started this scenario with all races. From this point of view, I could see that the starting conditions are totally unbalanced. But I don`t care about it, because it makes a lot of fun playing your map. Shadowdemons are very nice, but the most challenging race is for sure Arabia. I don`t know, if I ever will finish this huge map, but it doesnt matter. Usually if I reach the point of having too strong armies, that the rest of the game is only a boring slauthering till I come to an end, I quit anyway. But I am still far away from this point.
So thx a lot for your immense work and enthusiasm.
Duffydodo
RogerRabid
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 5

Extremely good fun to play. I tried playing as various races, and they all play differently. You generally have some strong spells and a decent hero to start with. There are plenty of unusual ideas, such as being able to open and close the mouth of a river at will.

The use of so many teleport structures in places where bridges would suffice does potentially allow human players to abuse the AI, and to severely restrict AI access to certain areas of the map.

Balance: 4

Not balanced, but doesn’t claim to be balanced. At the moment the humans are far and away the easiest race that I have played, because they are stuck away in a corner of the map on an island. The AI didn’t turn up at my capital at any point during the game when I played as humans. Some sort of land connection between them and the rest of the map would be better IMNVHO.

The asgardian (frostling) wiz only has a narrow bottleneck connecting their land mass to the rest of the map, which potentially they can block, but they are connected and the syron AI race start with strong units in that bottleneck, so hopefully they will receive some hassle from the AI, unlike the humans.

The toughest race that I have found to play so far is the arabian/undead wizard. I love the idea of having damnation and animate ruins as starting spells, but being a neutral wiz with a lot of undead units inevitably means that a lot of care must be taken over stack morale. This confuses the hell (pun intended) out of the AI if it is left to control this race, leaving a lot of strong independent stacks roaming around that evil wizards can then recruit.

Also I had strong syron AI stacks turning up at day 8, but Lord Duck has edited the map now to sort that out, hopefully.

Creativity: 5

Plenty of novel ideas, including the Gobo’s Pit of Doom, various teleports (some visible and some unexpected) and a strong AI presence to keep you on your toes (unless playing as humans). A super-tough Kirky hero rushing around in a ship with tough support units and attacking anything on the water is also a lot of fun!

Map Design: 5

Very smart map. I wouldn’t really call it a map “made for BNW 3.2” because it has very few BNW structures in it, but it all looks really good, and different types of terrain blend seamlessly together.

IMPORTANT: I did find two seeing waters at 43,83,0 and 183,104,0 which were razeable. The map has subsequently been edited and updated by Lord Duck, but if you were one of the first 76 people to download the map then I recommend that you download it again, or change them to the older non-razeable type BEFORE playing the map, otherwise the map could hang if indies raze them. This could be disastrous if you are six months into an email game, for example!

Story/Instructions: 4
No story.

Additional Comments:

If this map had a decent storyline, and the human starting point had a proper land connection to the mainland, I would be giving it 5 out of 5. Great map! Highly recommended!
Nephrati Hoy Lord Duck!

I started playing your map with two friends. We were looking for a nice and challenging map checking out BNW mod (which we do not know that well).

We decided to play the evil side (Dark Elf, Shadow Demons and Orcs) and declared war to each non-human player. Further we used some "own" rules (no gold/mana/spell trading, no razing teleporters and so on).

We are around day 70. The undead was killed at turn ~50 (nope, wasn't us).

Your map is looking very fine, I love the map-painting!
It was a challenge, each of us had to face some larger armys to get rid off.
There always was action, so we never get bored.
It was fun to play your map so far!

With regards
-Nephrati

[Edited on 01/20/11 @ 06:03 PM]

Nephrati Huhu!

..now solo playing Asgardians.

Seems the races are different balanced, but that is ok. Maybe you could add a message for this: Beginners please take Asgardians, Experts Arabians ..

Solo playing Asgardians. Declaring war to the others. I am going fast forward with the help of Ragnaroeks and my action teams...

Turn 60-70, I can't remember.

Please
-check signs
-KI blocks at recruitment places

With regards
-Nephrati

PS: I think I will go on playing Arabians soon. Let's see if I can survive (at my solo Asgardian play, he was kick out at Day 25).

[Edited on 01/21/11 @ 06:31 PM]

W4rb1rd Roger the Rampant: "no story" and still gave 4.0 points for that. This guy's ****in' awesome... more like file author's alter ego I'm afraid.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.5
Balance4.0
Creativity4.5