Map Size: S
Levels: 2
Single Player?: Yes
Co-Op vs. AI?: No
PBEM/Hotseat?: Yes
Multiplayer Online?: Yes
# of Wizards: 3
# of players: 3
Skill Level: Any (depends on AI difficulty setting)
Password Protected: No
Surface Minimap:
Cavern Minimap:
Life has been good in the Vale of Topia. Ever since Marinus broke free from the clutches of quarreling warlocks and settled here, he and his people lived peacefully and prosperously. But now, coming from the darkened southeast and from the caverns below, Arachna and Mab are preying on his riches and have allied to destroy him. On top of that raiding orcs have been spotted and zombies are roaming the countryside. It is up to Marinus to make sure his people can continue living the good life.

This is my debut scenario.
The project started in AoW WT ed.
It features Marinus in SP-mode. (I expect Marinus to be everybody's favorite wizard)
Work continued in AoW SM ed.
Added events for Arachna and Mab, so it would fit PBEM-mode.
Then I installed Upatch1.4 so I implemented some of that stuff as well.
Hope it's all well balanced.

I marked it positive for SP, PBEM and MP. It has never been tested in MP, I really don't know if it's any good in that respect. I marked it negative for coop against AI because artificially intelligent Marinus doesn't really stand a chance if Mab and Arachna are human players, could still be fun though.

TIPS:
Build up in the beginning is slow. Be careful and heed warnings!
Call Hero should be the last spell you research, as there are no heroes to answer your call.
(There's a fair bit of heroes making their appearance though.)
Item Forge is off, gain items in structures or with quests.
Don't freak out when your newly acquired hero has to leave.

A big thanks to everyone active on the forums, responding to my questions and basically teaching me how to. (I made myself a nice little waterfall, for instance)
Enjoy the map, please let me know what you think and please report any bugs/errors/typos.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
rat_peddler I played the Haflings and it was good fun for the most part. A little more clue about how to find Lilly might help as I didn't find her very early.

Most of the resistance came from the Dark Elves. The Goblins never really could get free from the guards put on them. I think they lost a big battle trying to take out drawf guards at the center choke point.

Not sure what the UG center area and destroyed city were for. I am guessing they were to help if other races are played by humans.

feargus
File Author
Aye,

Thanks for commenting on my map!

Some more hints about where and how to find Lilly; that can be arranged.

Yep, Goblins don't seem to be very dangerous,
I'm thinking of decimating the dwarven guards.

The underground maze is created for Mab as a human player. The razed city might be grabbed by anyone, really.

When I get some more feet back i'll adjust the map.

cheers

[Edited on 08/24/11 @ 06:05 AM]

feargus
File Author
So,

since noone else has indicated any faults or disturbances, i thought i just tweak my map regarding the issues rat_peddler specified.

i sure hope there's people playing my map.
meriaklis Very very nice scenario!
W4rb1rd
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity3.0
Map Design2.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Playability: 5
Playability is very good and action is fast paced. That's how I like it. Slow build at the beginning? I didn't notice. All in all, good job.

Balance: 4
I only played Arachna (dear author, you failed in your expectations in thinking that everyone should like Marinus; failed miserably! :D hehe, 'cos IMHO there is no other choice than playing Dark Elves) so I can't say much other than that I've won hehe, sided with Mab dwelling below I saw her domain guessing it's pretty balanced too. Marinus died in around 130 turn so I guess it's the not very balanced side or it's just that Halflings are useless! ^^ I had some problems at the beginning countering some pesky independent fools, but I overcame them and then made my way to Halfling bloke.
Mab should be more active. Most of the time she stayed below doing nothing (I guess) or maybe it's just I set too low level of difficulty, who knows...

Creativity: 3
It's ok actually, nice stories and hero events. Wizards have new descriptions etc. On the side note, I'm not very fond of the thought that Arachna is a "product" of Meandor's experiments using spider and dark elf. What the? Is it like spider mated with dark elven female lol? I'm saying this, because I made a campaign where it states that Arachna is Meandor's sister from Inioch's first marriage, but it's all fiction anyway and I rather think of her as just another wizard of Wizard's Circle of Evermore who happen to be a Dark Elf woman, that's it. OK, enough already with this digression.
What else? Oh, too many sign posts! More like a "triumph of form over content", not serving it's purpose and it's unrealistical too. Sometimes LESS is MORE.

Map Design: 2
Very... simplistic. I understand it's a small map, but still it looks too cramped. A lot of different and random stuff packed in small areas. There wasn't a single area that gave that feel of nature, but oh well, I guess you concentrated your efforts mainly on gameflow, right?
Caves were just so-so too.

Story/Instructions: 3
Story is good. I liked that Ryltha event. I even more liked that when I forgot Mab saying that I'm supposed to stay out of the caves, I got down there and then she said something like: "I told you! Now you've done it!" Hehehe, funny auntie Mab. Later I was in war with her and some big trouble arose, but fortunatelly, she quickly got to her senses and proposed peace and later even an alliance. Good buddy!
Other smaller events like chaplain saying this church is for humans only were nicely done too.
No instructions. That's a big flaw in the eyes of beginners just to remind you. Not a big obstacle for me, still, a more professional approach is in order.

Additional Comments:
Good job. Not many maps based on AoW lore out there and even less featuring Arachna, so to cut long story short, I enjoyed your scenario.

Now I'm gonna try playing auntie Mab.

PS. Care to make part 2?

[Edited on 09/06/13 @ 11:22 PM]

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown