Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Misc. Downloads » AoW2-WT Better French translation

Download File Post Review Post Comment

AoW2-WT Better French translation

Author File Description
Rodmar18 The official French translation of AoW2 - The Wizard Throne is of good quality overall, but some sections look hastily done, up to the point of generating serious false meaning, or out-of-place weirdness (a striking example for this are the powers' and mages' messages). Also some consistency in the GUI was lost through the translation process. The following file is a try to correct all those small imperfections. Perhaps I went to far in translating some English names of heroes and towns, but this can be reversed.

The ZIP file contains a complete \Dict repertory to replace the original one (the multilingual resource game files), a comprehensive list of all the corrections made with location in the files and justification of the choices, a saved game with all the campaign scenarios unlocked (to make it easier to test the translation). This way, anyone could alter those files to his/her own taste.

Installation is straightforward: just save your original \Dict repertory in case you want to revert to the official translation, and dump in place the \Dict that is stored in the ZIP archive.

To some extend, this file could also be useful to anybody wishing to translate AoW2-WT in a different language (in place of one of the currently supported languages): provided he/she can read French as well, he will know where and what to change.

Please read the explanation text file before use. Feedback is welcomed. I could repost a new version if errors are found.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
nobreSoldado Hi,

Could you please say the tool you are using for translation? I google but I haven't found any tools :/

I want to translate the game to Brazil Portuguese (pt-br).

Thanks!
Rodmar18
File Author
Hello!

You only need a hex editor.
I used Winmerge too, when I had messed up things and had to compare different versions of my edited files (because my free version hex editor has not the feature), but it's not handy (bad handling of null characters).

A hex editor usually has two windows, one presents the data in hexadecimal code, the second presents it through ASCII transcoding, making text displayed as clear and readable. Basically, your only work will be:
1/ to change the words that you read in this second window, e.g. the Polish version, into your own Portuguese version;
2/ to change the length bytes according to the new length of each Portuguese character string (you become faster at this the more you practice);
3/ verify that the game loads and test the result in game.

It's all explained (in French) in one of the files in the archive.

Install the game, patch it, save your \Dict repertory somewhere, get a hex editor, and open one of the smaller files in your original \Dict (not the copy, of course), either Install.mld or Setup.mld, to have an insight of how mld files are written. Then, you can try to replace one of the languages (Polish?) with Portuguese and see what happens. I can give you a hand if first tries are unsuccessful.

Expect a long, but easy and very interesting task!

Btw, don't worry if you are not fluent in hexadecimal maths (conversion, summation): you'll be soon enough.

[Edited on 04/23/17 @ 05:24 PM]

Naf185 Hello

Can you please uploade also the French voices please ?

Thanks in advance

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Statistics
Downloads:207
Favorites: [Who?]1
Size:771.72 KB