Home
New Releases
New Reviews
New Comments
Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Scenarios » Nordic Star v.1.03a (upgraded 'Master of Wonders')

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Nordic Star v.1.03a (upgraded 'Master of Wonders')

Author File Description
Webusver
File Details
Ruleset: AoW2: TWT - TS Standard Rules
Map Size: L
Levels: 2
Single Player?: Yes
Co-Op vs. AI?: Yes
PBEM/Hotseat?: Yes
Multiplayer Online?: No
# of Wizards: 8
# of players: 6
Skill Level: Any (depends on AI difficulty setting)
Password Protected: No
Surface Minimap:
Cavern Minimap:
NORDIC STAR v.1.03a - (upgraded 'Master of Wonders')

AoW:SM scenario with custom spells by Webusver@mail.ru
Spells' descriptions are included in file "levels.htm"

Hall of Fame
1. Idealistos played at average difficulty with orcs and defeated everybody in 65 days!
2. Andrey Goncharov played at average difficulty with archons and defeated everybody in 175 days.
3. Gerd played at average difficulty with elves and defeated everybody in 230 days.

Features
Battle&Magic scenario. L-map. Tough AI. 2 strong AI wizards + 6 playable. Starting races, spheres and wizards are customisable. Picturesque landscape. Smart lads and gals heroes. Subclass hero's system. Custom spells. Custom diplomacy system.

Package
The archive contains three scenario files with different difficulty - average, hard and impossible. Impossible scenario file is password protected. Every player, who beats AI in this scenario (at any difficulty level), will be included in the Hall of Fame. Just e-mail to webusver@mail.ru your savegame which was played with original resources and my spells. (spells.pfs -file, which is included in the archive).

Gameplay
You start with a bunch of 0-level troops with weak city and have to grow your army to 4-level monsters. But even they are not enough to achieve victory. You have to find the legendary sword, which can help you to be victorious.

The beginning of the story
Glorious Saurak the Nordic Star was killed by mysterious assassins who wanted to steal the legendary sword Nordic Star. But the sword was hidden somewhere. There's no evidence who owns the sword now. But at the same time the most noble gentlemen Sir Algernon and Sir Lambert accused each other in thievery without explaining reasons though. And war began between them. And all wizards were involved in this war. Algernon hired Dread Knights and prepares a huge army which will be ready in about 1-2 months. Lambert tries to unite all wizards to fight against Algernon but wizards have already declared numerous wars against each other and all peaceful efforts fade. There remains the only way. The way of the sword. Nordic Star sword.

Player instructions
1. Eklo has a magic cloak. Don't throw it away. It's the key to the treasury room with reward. Eklo must be alive too.
2. If you don't plan to rescue Eklo, go the harbor near Lambert-Hall, take a galley and sail to your castle. This may be essential for cooperative multiplayer game.
3. Try to avoid making alliances or declaring wars if you don't want additional problems.
4. Keep peace with King Lambert. Don't try to ally with him or declare war. He will never accept peace or alliance offer. You will not be able to use the Stone of Request if you are at war with King Lambert.
5. Check descriptions of your heroes. If you keep more gold in your treasury, you will be able to hire better heroes. Remember that heroes of lower subclasses will never gain as much abilities as heroes of higher sublasses already have.
6. You will need the sword Nordic Star to defeat Algernon. Otherwise it will be almost impossible to kill him.

Installation
1. Copy file "Nordic Star.ahm" to folder "../Scenario/Custom/".
2. If you don't want to play with custom spells, stop accomplishing this step. Copy file "spells.pfs" to folder "Resources" if you use Default resources. Copy file "spells.pfs" to folder "User/Name_of_your_Custom_Resources" if you use custom resources.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Webusver
File Author
V.1.08 vs. 1.06 has lots of enchantments and improvements.

- Added special areas for "vip-players". Others will not pass.
- When set to "King" or "Emperor" status all AI wizards receive "vip" status and are equipped with "vip" items which are treated as "cursed" by all non-vip-clients and can lead to defeat of every no-vip-player.
- Removed all spoilers allowing to gain vip-status by human players at the beginning of the game.
- Now it's impossible to engage spectators at gladiators fights to prevent a player from receiving excessive experience at the beginning of the game.
- Removed spoilers allowing to get some "property" of the red player at the beginning of the game.
- Removed raider attacks. Now it is not necessary to control the remained gold over 50 gp. Instead of this was added a "lose game" condition when gold and mana are at zero.
- More diplomatic triggers added.
- Some minor corrections to the map were done.

Visit http://www.webusver.chat.ru for more information. You may also download there my two scenarios: "Nordic Star" (for AoW2) and "Warlords" for (AoW).
EyeBall
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 4
(Insert Playability analysis here)

Balance: 4
(Insert Balance analysis here)

Creativity: 5
(Insert Creativity analysis here)

Map Design: 5
(Insert Map Design analysis here)

Story/Instructions: 5
(Insert Story/Instructions analysis here)

Additional Comments:
omega
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design2.0
Story/Instructions2.0
Playability: 3
Ok

Balance: 4
good

The events used to give the computer an advantage are very clever. I would like to know how you did it.

Map Design: 2
Far to many areas of endless solid trees. Map has a password which gives me immediate negative feelings. The fact that you can find out the password in the game doesn't make it any better.

Story/Instructions: 2
The begining story is ok and the events supporting it. However the signs about "VIP clients" and the letters of the password are AWFUL. I could not think of a better way to smash the players feeling of being involved in the game. At least make the signs seem to fit in with the world around them.

Additional Comments:
Some clever events used but the scenery and story need some work.
Webusver
File Author
Well, thanks for comments: EyeBall and omega.
I will think about those "solid trees". Is that the only drawback, which reduces the rating below average?
I agree that a password gives a great penalty to the map. May be v.1.09 will be free. Some instructions may be added. For now, just type "razreshenie" - the password. In the future I plan to adapt the map to AoW:SM.
Visit http://www.webusver.chat.ru to preview the scenario and get my other map "Warlords" (AoW1).
All comments are welcome at webusver@mail.ru
Webusver
File Author
Update to v.1.09.
1. Fixed bug with no-exit from treasury room.
2. Removed spoiler, allowing human players to recruit superheroes.
3. AI players automatically recruit superheroes.
4. Automatic spawning of new AI heroes instead of those, who were killed in battle. (It's not endless, don't be afraid).
5. A twist of fortune - a surprise added.
6. More cannon-fodder for later "bloody-mess".
7. Map is no longer password-protected.
8. Names of provinces added.

Andrew_P
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
This rocks! Better read below.

Balance: 5
Great challenge for experienced players and normal challenge for others by choice.

Scripting was done well. I also enjoyed custom items.

The map is smart.

It is not dull with the story and also good that the story does not dominate over strategy.

Additional Comments:
All fives because the scenario is really great. :-)
ArgonautS This is a great game. I enjoyed it very much but am having problem at mid-game.
I am at the Arctic Peak to look for the Nordic Star. Found the dead king in a tower, who ask me to search for his soul that is taken by Sir Algernon.
Problem is : where do I find the soul?? In Algeron Castle?? Clicking on he "center" button for the quest focus me to the dead king instead of his soul. I am unable to progress....

BTW, too many Dark Lord Spawns. I've killed about 10 so far, and they are extremely hard to kill. Everytime I killed one, Sir Algernon recruited a new Dark Lord. How long will this continue.

This game is extremely hard even when I set all the players to "Squire" level. The computer gets way too much stuffs.

Is there a forum where we can discuss about this game?? I search under "Master of Wonder" and "Nordic Star" and there is no thread for discussion.

Thanks.
Webusver
File Author
Argonaut,
the Soul Quest leads directly to the mighty sword. It is very powerful, so there will be no help how to find the soul. Explore the land. It's not too large.
Yes it's hard. You'll meet lots of dark lords and black dragons.
You can win the game by killing Sir Algernon, it doesn't matter how.
Be strong.

Sorry, I don't have time for forum discussions now.
tremor_I
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 4
(Insert Playability analysis here)

(Insert Balance analysis here)

(Insert Creativity analysis here)

(Insert Map Design analysis here)

(Insert Story/Instructions analysis here)

Additional Comments:
I enjoyed this scenario very much. Almost every battle with black player was as difficult as an epic battle. And the final was awesome. And sudden betrayal of the ally was very unexpected. A greedy fool.
Great! I rarely go to sleep at 5 in the morning... He-hm ;-) I didn't try your recent 1.8. version but in 1.6 (or 1.5?) it took me a lot of time to wait for AI players to make their moves. That makes a minus for playability.
Sir Lazyborn XXL
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
Very intensive gameplay. I didn't spend much time for just travelling. Opponents are everywhere. I like the strategic placement of mists, which cover enemies. It is the first map where I encountered challenging sea battles. And here is a real need to have fleet. There is also a good opportunity for tunneling. (Surprise!) Also I like your "alchemy" option. It is very convenient to transfer gold into mana and back.

The game is very challenging and I like when everybody starts equal from the beginning and then there is a strong opponent at the end.

Very interesting scripting. Also I would like to know how did you enable additional abilities for heroes and artifacts. I didn't find them in the editor. And how did you place buildings in outposts? I played with your Microsort Windblows mod and liked the spell system better.

The map is very beautiful and each hex of it is pained with some decorations. Absolutely no blank places. Well thought strategic placement of mountains, water, mists, caves makes worth to try lots of optional abilities that I earlier never used. There is real need to swim, to tunnel, to have true seeng and so on.

Though you positioned the map as a hack&slash type scenario, I was very pleased to encounter a smart storyline which developed while the game was going on. All events are supplied with instructions which are also helpful.

Additional Comments:
Thanks. This was a great game and I enjoyed it to the end. I may recommend this map as a long-play scenario with lots of clever scripts and advanced gameplay. Very hard. But the final battle brings complete safisfaction. :-)
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.4
Balance4.8