Top-Rated

Submit File
Browse Categories
New Files

Misc. Downloads » Middle Earth Geography

Download File Post Review Post Comment

Middle Earth Geography

Author File Description
Rorschach For mapmakers that wants to make a Middle Earth map but feel that making it accurate enough is painful and time consuming. This representation of the north western part of Middle Earth is accurate to the limits of the AOW editor. Any mapmakers that wants to use it as a base for their scenario is free to do so, edit all you want. A few cities are placed as referencepoints with the actual names. All mountainranges, rivers, forests and main roads are painfully accurate, as are the positions of the placed cities. A few key caveopenings are placed, but no extensive underground is made due to the fact that it would be speculative at best.
The map is made in AOW2 but is of course fully usable with AOWSM.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Galahad_2nd Nice job. Hopefully this will kick-start some more Tolkien maps, or you can do a finished map of your own.

Overall this seems quite accurate and well done; the various regions and places are all where they should be. The base map of my Middle Earth in the Second Age scenario is quite similar; you must have used similar sources and methods. I could have had my map finished much quicker if you had posted this a year ago!

Just a few comments/suggestions:
1. This map has the same issue as most ME maps that I've seen -- not enough river crossings. Tolkien only put bridges and fords on his maps where they are relevant to the story, but for a playable, interesting AoW map you need to make up some new crossings of the lower Brandywine and Greyflood rivers, upper Anduin, etc. so that they don't become impassible obstacles.
2. I don't recognize some of the town names such as Minas Girithlin, Minas Durlith, etc.; not sure if you made them up or if you know of some obscure references that I don't. I think it is better to name towns after the region that they are in -- Dunland, etc. rather than making up new names. But at least your names are Tolkien-like.
3. On the other hand, I don't see any cities for the Haradrim and Easterlings, who surely should have them. Umbar at least is quite an important city.
4. I would have more steppe and less grassland in the area just east of the Misty Mountains, such as Dunland and Eregion.
5. The Emyn Muil needs more rough terrain.
6. More forest in Harlindon.
7. I think that Linhir should be somewhat east and closer to Minas Tirith than it is on your map.
Rorschach
File Author
Thanks for your comments Galahad 2nd.

The map was meant as a basis for whatever scenario one would like to create for this part of Middle Earth. Details like city placement, bridges and various graphical elements were all added in the end to give some suggestions or just plain old spice up the map:) They are not meant to be a completion of the map.

City names are genuine, based on I.C.E's various publications for Rolemaster and MERP. So they are not first hand material from Tolkien, but I believe those names are plausible. Especially Dunland and the west, and lower Gondor were taken from these publications. These areas would be hard to depict in detail for an average map maker.

Geography was made with a map from I.C.E

Your points, in order:
1. Top of this post.
2. Second part of above.
3. As explained above, the map is not a completed scenario, it is a basis for others to create what they like.
4. The overall features, like grassland and steppe are accurate in this map, but details are not meant to be final. Filling in grassland in an area of steppe would be highly appropriate in some areas, I agree.
5. As above
6. As above, although I disagree. The amount of forest is accurate.
7. Linhir is correctly placed in my opinion. Osgiliath in this map is just a suggestion of how it can be done.

I really appreciate your constructive criticism Galahad, thankew.

[Edited on 12/05/03 @ 03:05 PM]

BlackRose
Rating
Rating: 5

Simply put as a starter to any ME scenario this is the way to go. Geographically down pat. I've played every LoTR map out there and designed many of my own, when I decided to build a LoTR map mod pack this was the map I started with.

Additional Comments:

Incredible job! It is what it is and you get exactly what your asking for - so a five it is :)
THE TOMMYNATOR when i go to scenario then single player and select this map when i start the game, the map is all black then if i end my turn sauron automatically dies...the end....any answers?

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Statistics
Downloads:4,308
Favorites: [Who?]0
Size:80.14 KB