Skill Level: Expert
Password Protected: Yes
Surface Minimap:
Cavern Minimap:
Shadow Minimap:
Password release Update:
Only the pasword is released here, not a new map update:
Password is: Kay

This Revision 74 is massive updated and corrected since the last revision here on Scenario heaven.
One very important thing is that the Computerwizards do not die in the first 25 rounds. Thy where killed by computergenerated wandering troops. Thats over now.
Many new changes.

Marlenes Schatten is full of never seen Quests, and have its own storry.
More than 93 new, never seen Heros each with its own new, never seen picture (therefore the 2296 kb big Map file) and every one have its own storry to tell.
Much storry text for the scenario and every Hero and Quest. If you want to feel the storry.
Very much new designed items for the new heros !
All the old heros are here too.
New pictures for some of the Wizards.
Very high detailed Landscapes at 3 Levels.
Changing Landscapes !!! The Land will Change its face if you do some things, like you have never seen it before.
This scenario is not designed to play it only one time.
Some Surprises.
Every race have its own heros and Quests. Not every hero will join every race. Not every Quest will come up to each race.
You will find some strong enemys, that will bring fear into your heart.
Two very dark and real bad secret non-player kindoms that will crush your Armys if you try to beat them to early.
Non-Player kingdoms, some friendly, some bad, some hidden ! Try to find them.
Hidden places behind walls of earth. Read the signs and upcoming informations. Find the items to dig.
read the datailed info at the intro of the scenario.

Races in Marlenes Schatten are:
1. Tigraner
2. Humans
3. Dwarfes
4. Drakonier
5. Ork-Goblins
6. Nomads
7. Frostlings
8. Hobbits

Some facts at the end:
8 players possible
XL Map, 3 Levels
All Landscapes on the map, very high detailed
Many, many Quests
93 new heros.
All Old heros
Very, very much new Artefacts
Difficulty: High
Paßword: Yes
Working time: more than 160 hours
Language: German
My Name: The Groll
Date: 13.07.2004 - Revision 74
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
hooterville
Rating
Breakdown
Playability3.0
Balance1.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions1.0
Playability: 3
Parts of this game are fun but when you can't go 1 hex without a fight against an independent with 8 units then you've gone overboard. Too easy to have peace with all the computer players. How about an English translation?
Balance: 1
In the several times I've tried this map, almost always a computer player gets killed early on by independents. Some players are so hard at the beginning (Draconians) you can't even get started.
Creativity: 4
There's some very good effort that went into this map.
Map Design: 4
Map's good. Could have been great if attention was paid to playability and balance.
Story/Instructions: 1
Can't tell if there is a story here since there's no English translation.
Additional Comments:
Designer has work to do. Take some of the independent stacks out of the game as they drag it on too much. Make the computer players less likely to get have peace.
tremor_I Guess you'll make another final version ;-)

Not bad, map is really good, but... Well, you now...

Da i hotelos by chtoby bylo na angliiskom, a to hren poimesh!
Der_Zorn_Gottes
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Playability: 4

OK, I am well aware that this map is not everyones taste. In fact, you will be fighting incredibly (sometimes ridiculously) strong independents. But that is just the way I like it. I love exploring a beautiful landscape, without the AI disturbing me. For those of you who like building uplarge empires, superheroes, and stacks of level 4 units, this is the map.

Balance: 4

Some wizards have it harder in the beginning than others, but none has it easy. By the time you have fought your way through the indies, the starting positions don`t matter any more.

Creativity: 5

This is not a map, it is a world. You will find all kinds of places, oceans, (independant) empires. It`s just wonderfull. The only map that is comparable on that behalf is jaimies battle of creation.

Map Design: 5

One of most beuatifull maps I have ever played. Every single place on a XL-map is detailed. From one corner to the other, you won`t find a place wich is not filled with beautifull details.

Story/Instructions: 3

There is no story going on, and no instructions either. On a few places there are events, and there are signs all over the map explaining the landscape.
Everything is in german, however.

Additional Comments:

If you don`t mind playing against indies instead of the AI, by all means play this map. If you understand german it will help the experience a lot, but even if not the landscape speaks for itself.
Chat Noir
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
(Insert Playability analysis here)

Balance: 5
(Insert Balance analysis here)

(Insert Creativity analysis here)

(Insert Map Design analysis here)

Story/Instructions: 5
(Insert Story/Instructions analysis here)

Additional Comments:
Beautufil map, challenging terrain/indies/opponents (depending on setting).
The Groll
File Author
Hi all!

If you need help, playing my maps, finding secrets like keys or somthing else visit:

The Conqueror's Fieldguide to The Groll's Universe - All about his maps and mapmaking - DO Panic!

http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=26&tn=4992&st=recent&f=26,4992,0,60
Lightfoot1678 Dear Groll,

I'm new to Age of Wonders (and addicted), and have just finished your "Secrets of Marlenia" map - it was fantastic. I'm sure you hear it a lot, but you do an excellent job. I spent countless hours playing your map, and plan to spend countless more.

I was looking through some of your other maps, and see that many of them are in German (including this one!). I know it's selfish, but I want more! I hope the lack of english comments doesn't discourage you too much from doing the translations. I love the depth you put into them, but I can't read German (though I may start learning).

Anyhow, thanks for the great maps, and don't let the English-speakers get you down.

~Lightfoot1678

The Groll
File Author
Thank you Lightfoot for this nice comment.
Some of my maps are in German. some are in both languages. You should seach for them and download them. Then you will see. Only for an example: My Marlenes Gnade Maps was just translated some weeks ago to the english language by naeco. Simply seach for 'Groll' in the HG download section and you will find all my maps and otehr stuff. ;-)
Watschenbaum
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance3.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
(Insert Playability analysis here)

Balance: 3
(Insert Balance analysis here)

(Insert Creativity analysis here)

(Insert Map Design analysis here)

Story/Instructions: 5
(Insert Story/Instructions analysis here)

Additional Comments:
Since German is my mother tongue, I cannot be neutral about the language question. On one hand, I see that not understanding the signs, comments, tips, is frustrating but it is not decisive for this game. On the other hand, those people who both speak German and love our gorgeous language will enjoy numerous subtle jokes and fantasy names.

About playing this map: 6 of the available races are OK to play but not dramatically interesting. Tatz Scharfzahn (funny name!) was more challenging.

Mya Drachenblut, however, made me furious: Setting off from a poorly equipped town, you command an army of five units (2 x level 3 + 3 x level 2, no hero). You fortune mounts up to 200 mana and 250 gold but you loose 25 bucks a day. The indie stacks hanging around your cap are ridiculously strong. The only village in sight is protected by shooters and level 3 units hiding behind a city wall. Any attempt to fulfill the start-up quest or conquer a mine in a straight-forward manner ended up in pressing the “reload” button. After half an hour of permanent failures I was confronted with making a decision: Either admit to my three kids (and those to be born in the future) that an AoW map has defeated their father. Or abandon my traditional easy-going AoW strategies, exercise myself in patience and efficiently exploit the 250 gold and 200 mana for a single goal: Break out of the home town to conquer those source of gold needed to get a “normal game” running. Well, after several save-and-load cycles I finally escaped the threat of eternal shame and found myself in a difficult but manageable AoW map. Later my patience was rewarded with an extremely beautiful heroine who grew up to one of the strongest AoW heroes I have ever seen.

A must-be for Gefahrensucher!
The Groll
File Author
Thank you a lot Watschenbaum for three votes at one day for my maps.
This is the right spirit.
Even when I am not total happy with any result of the votes (GoE) for example I ned to say that you made nice votes and explanations how you played the maps.
Why I post in this thraed of the download area is beacuse of you interesting words here.

I often hear that my maps are also to easy ;-)

I don´t care to much about to much balance btw.
NOtt any race need to be as strong or weak as the other.
I like to play with stronger and weaker players and than if one knows a good map he can set up games where stronger and weaker players can have fun together.

You should try this one in a PBEM game.
I know how hard it is to grow and survive as Mya Drachenblut in this map,. I have played her in SP, hotseat and now in PBEM.
It is really interesting to survive in this land full of swamp and no crop fields around the cities but I managed it so far and we are far in game. ;-)
Watschenbaum This is still the best map I've ever seen. Playing the weak races - Humans, Tigrans, Draconians, Dwarfes - is a lot of fun. And a challenge, too.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.3
Balance3.3