PBEM/Hotseat?: No
Multiplayer Online?: No
# of Wizards: 2
# of players: 1
Skill Level: Novice
Password Protected: No
A Dying world

---Story---

The world as you know it is coming to an end. The land which your family has ruled for centuries is now taking it's final breath, as the shadow demons convert the fertile grasslands into...nothing. The Gorgan mountains, the Forest of Shadows, the Fields of Emor, all gone and in their place a void so empty it hurts your soul just too look at it.

You gather your last men in an attempt for an escape from your capital Ardelm, which is almost completely surrounded by shadow and won't last much longer. You're going to make a run for the old teleporter to the west. No one knows where it leads, and no one who enters it ever comes back. But you figure there won't be much to come back to soon anyway. As you walk down the halls of your castle, the paintings of your ancestors look down at you, and you can't help thinking ; "All their pain and suffering. All that for nothing."

You ride out of the gates of Ardelm for the last time.

---Info---

This map uses the latest version of the 100 units mod. You have to install it to be able to play. The mod can be found in the HG modpacks downloads section.

The map was supposed to be the first in a campaign, but when I realized the campaign tool was unusable because of all the bugs, the map was left to rot on my harddrive (until now...). It has a time limit (as you will notice) and is not that hard to beat. Still, I consider it playable and I think you will have fun with it. :)

/Magog
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
psykitty
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions3.0
Playability: 4
Lots of fun. If you like old NES, SNES or arcade games(preferrably side-scrolling beat 'em ups or shooters), you'll probably like this map. Now, that may sound like an odd description for a map that's for a turn-based strategy game, but meh. I am Psykitty. I don't have to make sense if I don't want to.:p
I just shied away of giving it a perfect score, mostly because I probably won't try to play it now that I've beaten it. I don't think I could have beaten the map any faster than I did, and bragging rights don't mean a whole lot here. To be honest, I even get bored with Super Mario Brothers sometimes, for pretty much the same reason. There's just not a lot to do after you've beaten it(unless you play with a second person. Then it's a lot more fun, but that's not exactly possible here.)

Balance: 5
It can be frustrating at times, but A Dying World is a lot like the Super Mario Brothers games. And TMNT IV. I remember the first time i played TMNT IV, I couldn't even get past the first level. Now, I look back on that and feel really bad for my lack of skills. Anyway, this map is the exact opposite of impossible. If you can't get past a certain part, just give it a rest for a few days and try again later. Worked for me.:)

Creativity: 4
As I'll probably mention under 'Map Design' as well, the map is designed very well--there's always a sense of tension, and the possibility that your units could be swallowed('crushed') by the shadow void. Also, unit assignment is very well thought out--you pretty much have to rely on the units you start with, and honestly, you don't really need much else.

Map Design: 4
Terrain itself, while not spectacularely detailed, looks really good, and it looks like a lot of thought went into the placement of the shadow void(I tried to cheat, using free movement, to take a shortcut over the mountains. It doesn't work. Guess why?:p)
Also, I think some of what I said under 'Creativity' goes for this category too.

Story/Instructions: 3
I like apocalyptic stories, but to be perfectly honest, this one felt a bit flat. Not that it wasn't bad, really, just not outstanding. Also, the messages were interesting the first time, and did a good job of giving instructions, but after a while I just started to ignore them.(besides, I can't give *ALL* 5's and 4's on my first review... people will think I'm an idiot.:p)
However, I would like to say that I didn't find the story to be of much importance. The last few times I played, my goal wasn't to save the humans, or see what's on the other side of the teleporter, but simply to beat the computer.(if there is a nobler goal than that, I don't wanna know about it!)

Additional Comments:
I don't like time limits in most games. When done badly, they seem annoying and unnessecary. But when done well(like in Super Mario Brothers), they add a whole lot to the game. Let me say that A Dying World does it very well; the game just wouldn't be the same without a time limit.:D
One last thing(promise), I was a little disappointed with the ending. I don't want to spoil it, so I won't say anything more, except that I'd like to see a sequel or something...

For trivia's sake, I didn't write the categories in order from beginning to end, but now I cannot remember which order I DID write them in... so much for wacky trivia. Anyway, go and download the map. And the 100 units mod. Go now!:p
Magog
File Author
Thanks for the well written review! :)

[Edited on 11/22/04 @ 04:13 PM]

Magog
File Author
The map has been updated for the 100 Units mod v1.30.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.0