Co-Op vs. AI?: No
PBEM/Hotseat?: Yes
Multiplayer Online?: Yes
# of Wizards: 2
# of players: 2
Skill Level: Expert
Password Protected: No
** Description
This map is a 1-to-1 tourney multi-player map with a very high demand on player skills. The classical confrontation of Good versus Evil is brought to its peek by playing Anon vs. Nekron. The map has developed into a host of adventurous playing possibilities. It holds a lot of scripted events and quests which may also gain strategical importance. Last but not least the map applies a technique of "leveled revealment"; parts of the map become available only as a response to players' progress. Thus it can be played either quick and hot or with longer perspective.

A hive of 24 custom made heroes, with individual history, and many new items are available, making an important difference in playing fun.

** Balance Status
I consider the map roughly balanced. Judging the balance of such a map is, however, difficult. Too different are the abilities of such extreme positions as Good and Evil. Nekron will command more dangerous striking power from the start while Anon is in favour of speedy and camouflaged units. The present edition reflects already a lot of test-playing and improvements.

** Patch 1.4 Warning!
This map is optimized for AoW-SM 1.3. As the balance situation here is very delicate I expect games played with "Unofficial Patch 1.4" to offer large advantage for the black side. If you still want to play it in 1.4 I recommend to modify the map by the following points: a) give Archon Frostbite the Shrine of War building, b) disable Champion Hall in Orcish Slaughter Hall.

** Single Player
For playing this map in Single Player modus please set the adversary to CPU-Emperor.
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Kzaar
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Man, very good map but hero can reach only 16th level. Why?? It is a catastrophy:((((((((.
Final Bolt
File Author
Thanks for the evaluation! - About your question: it is a balancing topic. Games on this map shall focus on gameplay tactics hence I don't want heros to become "catastrophical" super-powers! In practice it doesn't make a difference because in the vast majority of games there is not enough fighting opportunity for a hero to evolve beyond 16! ;) Furthermore, there are some reward heroes under way in this map which are already very strong and I also don't want them to break the ceiling in becoming a menace.

P.S. If you don't like this restriction you can modify it during game setup!

[Edited on 09/27/05 @ 02:07 PM]

Final Bolt
File Author
******* UPDATED Version 221 *******

Please, people, download this new version because 220 has a serious bug.

Log update:

Ver. 221 - 17. Oct 2005
- corrected a severe bug that allowed early "undeserved" award hero in sanctuary
- modified content of Magic Vaults near home castles and Draconian cave
rat_peddler
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 5
Even as a single player map it is fun because of the additional areas revealed by certain actions.

Balance: 5
An Emperor level AI as the Undead can hold out quiet awhile even on single player.

Creativity: 4
I liked the changing terrain events.

Map Design: 5
Very nicely done.

Story/Instructions: 4
Good events and messages. Quests are somewhat better as they leave a stronger hint and reminder of what is expected next!

Additional Comments:
I think you could list this as suitable for single player as well.

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity4.5