Map Size: M
Levels: 3
Single Player?: Yes
Co-Op vs. AI?: Yes
PBEM/Hotseat?: Yes
Multiplayer Online?: Yes
# of Wizards: 6
# of players: 6
Skill Level: Any (depends on AI difficulty setting)
Password Protected: Yes
Surface Minimap:
Cavern Minimap:
Shadow Minimap:
Password Release for v.2i & j: Kay

Small Update from v.2i -> v.2j
Date: 12 January 2009

Some smaller errors.
- The Elven Wall still had one hole - fixed
- The Dark Elven got extra units when played by a human player on day 5 - fixed.
- Some other smaller errors fixed.
- Still Password protectd but only unitl I have released Marlenes Laughter. After this map I will remove all passwords from my last maps.

Major Update from v.2g -> v.2i
Date: 09 September 2008

I have collected many ideas, hints and errors over near three years now.
I think it´s time for a big update of the Secrets of Marlenia map.

What has changed in this Major Update?

- Many, many technical map changes. To much to describe them all here. Examples are regions like the pharos tomb or weapon, where it was possible to cast units inside.

- AI player push up events.
This events will make you fear the AI player in this version.

- I made round about 500 new events in this new version v.2i
This map is no longer compareable with the earlyer versions of Secrets of Marlenia when it comes to gameplay and balance. Therefore I will put the latest old version v.2g and the new version v.2i together into this mappack. Be carefull!
The AI player becomes much more dangerous now in this new version v.2i
I used some tricks (events) and if you think you can easy declare war to AI Players and beat them you will fail.

- You can belive me that this 500 new events has changed 'some' ;-) things in this map and the aditional map changes and error corrections have changed the map a lot too.
I have not really tested this new version of the map so far but I can imagine that you need to be an advanced or expert player to deal with the AI players now. The AI players where very static and often for example Lord Morgai even never left his Isle. This all is history now.
The AI players are for sure hard to beat and they are very aggressive now. Their stupid doing is still the same (I can´t change AoWSM) but they have become much more powerfull and will wipe you out if you are a novice or if you think you can hendle them like other AI players in normal maps.

I wish you much fun with this new and maybe last update of Secrets of Marlenia.

As I said I have not tested the map so far.
So feel free to give me feedback here (nice comments or votes) or when you have hints under:
http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=26&tn=4992&st=recent&f=26,4992,0,60

- I think the map is now very interesting for PBEM games to where not all players are played by human players. This map can be a hard challenge for humans when some players are set to AI Players in PBEM games now.

Up The Irons & Good Luck

The Groll - 09. September 2008

The older Version v.2g is still included in this zip file.

Version: Secrets of Marlenia v.2g
Date: 12 December 2005

You know this map if you have downloaded the unofficial patch.
This is a update for "Secrets of Marlenia" the single player map shipped with the unofficial patch, after user feedback. I found some errors that aroses when the map where converted from one patch version to the final. Now it is much more balanced.
The problem was, that there where mines gone in the final version 2f that came with the path.
Now the mines are there again and the Draconians have a much better chance to win this map now, because two of the new crystall mines are in their range at the beginning of the game.
Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Stillborn
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
This is a top notch map, alot of fun MP as well because players can't charge right at each other, forces a turn 30-40ish confrontation.

Alot of fun, alot of detail, ever race has its own challenges.

Honestly It could be harder, but some may find it hard enough as it is.

Great map, for 1.4

Groll keep them comming!
I've played through most of this map with 3 races now, hope you have another amazing map comming up. And am currently playing it in a MP game with 3 other friends, suffice to say everyone thinks its awsome.
psykitty
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 5
Map is very fun; text messages add to an immersive experience. Definately one of the best SP games I've played.

Balance: 5
I don't see what all the fuss was about. Granted, I'm not playing as the Draconians, and that's the one everyone's complaining about... but if the AI can survive with 'em for 47 turns, they can't have too bad of a start.

Creativity: 5
Not only does the map look great, it has a very unique look and feel. And The Groll uses the editor to its full capacity, and shows a very deep understanding of both the standard rules and the uPatch additions.

Map Design: 5
Simply beautiful. There's maybe ONE area that I don't like so much, and that's the place around the goblins' start city, but the rest of the map looks gorgeous, and that one little area isn't worth taking any points off for.

Story/Instructions: 4
The opening description is way too long for me. I still haven't read all of it...:p Also, there are several typos, and some messages can be a *little* difficult to understand. No problems that seriously affect gameplay, but they can be a little jarring, and stand out in what is otherwise a flawless addition to any gamer's scenario library. :)

Additional Comments:
I haven't played any of The Groll's earlier maps, but this one certainly makes me want to. Luckily, school's out for a couple weeks or so(Xmas break). See if I can tear myself away from this one, though... :D

One more thing: We need more uPatch maps. Currently, the only maps that use the uPatch are the four that come with it, and my own offering that I rushed to beat the deluge that I'm still waiting for. :p
skin
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
(Insert Playability analysis here)

Balance: 4
(Insert Balance analysis here)

(Insert Creativity analysis here)

(Insert Map Design analysis here)

Story/Instructions: 5
(Insert Story/Instructions analysis here)

Additional Comments:
What an absolutely drop dead gorgeous map, every hex has been filled in with a LOT of TLC. I love the fact that there are SO many scripted events which really brings the scenario to life.
I cannot believe this is just a medium sized map, every races starting place is well seprated and thought out BUT the biggest joy is finding the hidden areas, the Pharoes tomb quest and the Ultimate weapon are fabulous additions....by FAR the best map i have played...the one tiny flaw is that if the AI plays the humans at start out they never seem to break out of their city.
Oh and did i mention the beautiful visuals, the stunning and very well thought out map..oh i did...well whatever PLAY this map...but a word of warning, it dramatically raises the bar for EVERY other map maker out there. So cmon guys 'cause the Groll has outdone everyne with this beauty.
The Groll
File Author
Only this:
Life can be beautifull - maps too.
Thank you guys for this words.
That is one of the reason why I upload maps.
Jacob Marley
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Note: this review is based on the original version. If the issues here have been addressed by the new version, I apologize.

Playability: 4
A fun map, but there are a few things that seem a bit off to me.

1. The ancient dragon guarding the hoard in the SE part of the underground is set to Raider. Because of this, once I had opened the wall, I could just get my valuable units out and wait for the dragon party to leave and plunder the place at will. I think that it would be better to have the party set to area guard so that you have to take them down to get the treasure. Secondly, eventually, the party attacked Morgai (I was playing humans) but had lost half the stack. I was able to bind summoned the ancient dragon, which was a major asset (especially against the sandworms.

2. The phareohs crypt should be all anti-magic zones. I was able to curcumvent the whole quest for the keys by summoning gold dragons inside the crypt. Plus, the sandworm stacks will not attack flying units.

3. I was a but disappointed that the Secret had nothing to do with the keys in the end.

The main balance problem I encountered was being able the bind the Ancient Dragon.

Very creative, with great use of events.

A nicely decorated map that shows off the new features well.

Story/Instructions: 4
Nice story, but marred by the fact that the secret and the keys were not connected.

Additional Comments:
cartonete
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Muy buen escenario. Muy logrado con vertienntes dimilares a otros juegos.
naecO
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
(Insert Playability analysis here)

(Insert Balance analysis here)

(Insert Creativity analysis here)

(Insert Map Design analysis here)

Story/Instructions: 5
(Insert Story/Instructions analysis here)

Additional Comments:

A lot of writing has just been lost by a crash of memory !!! I have no inspiration rewrite all that. Sorry! Another time maybe

But there're things I've not said, unfortunately, I often save bad points at the end. However, it's just a small issue that some magic vaults with their strong guards don't have the spells that's worth the defence. Most of it have just lv1 or lv2 spells which may disappoint us a bit after a breathless fight with a bunch of dragons and angels

[Edited on 04/11/06 @ 01:21 PM]

chillidog Hello, I am new to this site, aowsm is my favorite game and my parents do not let me go on-line very often (I'm 12) I found this site and I very excited. new scenerios to keep playing this game. Enough of the introduction.
Groll--- I just played this scenerio and I think it is great. I do not know much about payablity, or balance or game making. To me the most important was it was fun and kept me wanting to play more. I played as the dark elves, I won by beating everyone else (sp) I did not get the keys. I am going to continue playing and enjoying will try the oether races. Keep up the great work, I am going to download your other scenerio "gates of elocin" I hope you will continue making scenerios I look forward to them. Again I thought this one was excellent
The Groll
File Author
Hi all!

If you need help, playing my maps, finding secrets like keys or somthing else visit:

The Conqueror's Fieldguide to The Groll's Universe - All about his maps and mapmaking - DO Panic!

http://aow.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=26&tn=4992&st=recent&f=26,4992,0,60

@Cillidog
Very nice! I´m happy that even such young guys like you, like to play this wonderfull game. It´s nice, not all kids only want to play 3D shooters. Welcome to this HG forum. It´s OK wehn your parents don´t let you go to long online but maybe you can show them what a nice community we are here.

[Edited on 08/16/06 @ 02:17 PM]

Frall
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
It's an excellent map, what more can I say? The story is nice and the terrain looks very beautifull.

There are a few issues with being able to summon units into the pharaos crypt and in some treasure chambers. And you can capture the hero with physical and magic immunity very easily due to a lack of willpower. But I know you'll fix that soon, thus I won't let that affect my rating. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.7
Balance4.5