Single Player?: Yes
Co-Op vs. AI?: No
PBEM/Hotseat?: No
Multiplayer Online?: No
# of Wizards: 7
# of players: 1
Skill Level: Expert
Password Protected: Yes
THE MAP-PASSWORD IS INNERSANCTUM (maybe that´s also good for me should I ever forget the password myself :)

HERE is the (slighty) 1.4 adapted - but most importantly - bugfixed version of this scenario!! Have fun!!

This is a reproduction of the original map of the Might & Magic 2 Role Playing Game - "Gates to another World".
Not only the map has been transformed into an Age of Wonders scenario but also some of the main plot of the original RPG !
This is why you start with all the 6 original Heroes from the beginning and it is meant, that you keep them together in one group!!! There will be situations in the game, where you are forced to put them together anyway so keep them together from the very beginning, this is the special kick of this map!
You will have to solve many scripted quests throughout adventuring!

A dark force of alien creatures infiltrates the Land of Cron. The evil dark Lord Sheltem and his minions, coming from another world, seek to destroy Cron and all it´s inhabitants... Seemingly endless hordes appear apparently from nowhere, roaming the land and destroying whatever they find... Will you be able to find their base and stop the intrusion before the whole land has been overrun...?

This is only the present situation you are faced with... The real story being behind all of this has to be unraveled whilst adventuring... There is, let´s say, a main plot with many main "quests" that have to be solved as well as some subquests of minor importance such as mere gaining of artifacts or so...
You should always read the messages that will appear throughout the game, watch out for signposts and I´d recommend using scouts of any sort... But be careful with sending out single units or even small groups. The chance for survival in the land is very small in these times...

© 2005 by Sure Valla ;-)

Uuhps...I´ve just seen whats all new with the 1.4 patch... It is definitely possible, that all these changes may have some impact on the difficulty of this scenario.... This map has been playtested by two Experts and one novice ;-) but we all played with the 1.3 patch...
So please don´t kill me, if this scenario kills you should you be using the 1.4 patch :-))

Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
rat_peddler
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
The early game is very hard and takes patience to accumulate the power to move to the harder challenges. The trick is figuring out in which order to tackle them.

Balance: 5
Early game is much in favor of Sheltem. However, the peacemaker setting really helps give Merlin a chance.

Creativity: 5
I am not a M & M player, but the idea of translating a board game like this here was good and soundly executed.

Some of the none traditional transporters and "jails" made the quests even more challenging.

Map Design: 5
Very well done. A good mix of detail and geography without getting too busy. XL map does get to be alot of time in movement though.

Story/Instructions: 5
Well done. They were clean enough that a person could figure things out.

Additional Comments:

I can tell alot of effort went into this. It took me 276 turns (over almost a week) to finally win. I wasn't really completely in control to after 200 turns.

I played with the U1.4 Patch! So you can rest assured that it still works just fine.

[Edited on 01/16/06 @ 06:18 PM]

morgul666
File Author
Thanks for the fine rating!!!

Some comments from my side:
It is absolutely meant, that Sheltem is superior to all the others - that is the core condition and the sense of the whole scenario!! He has built up a strong army before he started his intrusion and his troops won´t become less throughout the game... Don´t expect balance in it´s original sense - just hope, to gather enough strengh in time to avoid being crushed like a bug sooner or later before you finally manage to find a way, how to defeat Sheltem...
Never was a good defense as important as here ;-)
The idea with the non-traditional transporters came up, when I saw, that with the existing, traditional teleporters I couldn´t achieve what I wanted, namely to be able to control at some stations in the game, WHO will be teleported to a special place. And nobody else! This was one of the hardest nuts to be cracked whilst editing...
In order to shorten distances, I´ve placed several teleporters on the map that are connected with eachothers, so by using them, you can spare a lot of nerve-racking walking ...
ibobs Hi,

It seems like a good scenario and I love those that have quests to follow, but I cannot for the life of me find the bleeding wizard at the beginning!!! I.e. you meet and greet your ally from the first message and it says go and find the wizard to the south of the mountain. I did this but found no wizard. Can he be killed or something? Where do I find him?

Good scenario none the less.

Ian
morgul666
File Author
Hi there!

you were right there - He is well guarded by some strong undead ;-)
You´ll have to rescue him.
There will be more of those not too obvious quests throughout the game...

cheers
Marc
ibobs I see the stack now. I had avoided it at the start. Tx.
DesertRanger Thx for the map, not a bad one, I think.
And a very good idea for an old m+m player like me.
Hard in the beginning, but things get ridiculous easy after you are able to build air galleys, which kill the lord stacks in seconds - and later rochs, angels and faerie dragons - and after building 70 outposts :).
Maybe you can find a way to make your map more challenging later in the game (more black angels or black dragons constantly spawning, etc...) - shadow demons are really crap against flyer producing races.
And I don´t understand that you start with 7 wizards when 3 or 4 are killed by Indies before turn 10?????

Ok, the real reason for posting was, that I cannot figure out how to open that shadow gate?
(and you passworded your map --- grrr :( )
I have all talons, the elemental orb and all initial heroes in one group (and 60 red dragons and 50 angels behind them) before the gate - did I miss anything?

morgul666
File Author
Hell on earth, you´re a crafty one, no doubt about that ;-)
Building 70 outposts, 60!!! red dragons, 50!!! Angels ...You seem to have managed to build an empire where I thought, something like that was almost impossible in this scenario ;-)
But on the other hand - you could achieve such an outcome with every scenario when you play long enough, I think...
OK, to answer your questions: The reason, why some of the others get crushed so early is to demonstrate the Power of your enemy, no more and no less. You won´t need them anyway due to the relatively poor AI in general.
Why are there just Shadow demons? Hmmm, because that´s the race, our evil intruder has just at hand... I think, it wouldn´t make much sense, if an alien intruder possessed resident armies of the land he infiltrates... This is, let´s say, content of the story/background even if you may get bored after having killed your hundreds´ stack of shadow demons ;-)
The main focus of this scenario is the line of quests your group of heroes has to fulfill. Preventing Sheltem from overrunning you is "just" the basics... ;-)

But now to your main question: You need now to combine those 5 artifacts! Mr. Wizard should have told you that after leaving Dawn´s mistbog dungeon!!
If you can´t find that message anymore, I´ll tell you what you have to do:

You need the help of the gemmaker!
He can be found in the volcanic area not far from the city of Vulcania in
the far northeast.
You have to go there together with all the 5 items and he will forge quite a nice artifact for you ;-) from then, you will be advised further on...
DesertRanger thx for your answer.
So my error was to do the dawn thingie without mr. wizard.

Of course you are right,you can build up incredible strength in almost all scenarios where outpost building is allowed.
morgul666
File Author
Hmm, but you´re right anyway - If I had thought about that, I would surely have disabled that feat...
There are some more minor changes that I´d like to do afterwards and of course - an adaption to the 1.4 patch edit but otherwise - who will play a scenario like this a second time when you are through the story once...?
But I´m wondering, how you could have possibly managed to do the Dawn thing without Mr. Wizard since you shouldn´t be able to leave the dungeon (with the Orb) without him?!?
Ravenclaw73
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Playability: 5
(I´ve sticked to the 'rules' and kept together the six heroes in one stack throughout (almost) the whole scenario and had a hard time to survive defending myself against Sheltem.
It turned out to be extremely challenging mostly in the beginning but as soon as the heroes reach higher levels it worked just fine and was a damn lot of fun! Because of the rare mana and gold income structures, it´s very hard to come along with your ressources and to build up more troops than an adequate defending army ...)

Balance: 5
(There´s no f***ing balance in this map ;) Sheltem kicks ass from the beginning making it a hard time for you and the other wizards to resist his assault but I think, this was planned and it´s OK because it´s part of the story and not meant as multiplayer scenario.)

Creativity: 5
(That´s (together with the "story/intructions" category ) the icing of the cake of this scenario!
I loved the idea with the "restricted" teleporters (especially the timemachine *lol* but I don´t want to give away to much...) and most of all the idea of translating a computer role playing game into a strategy game - which worked out brilliantly!
Unfortunately, I never played this one but some other parts of the M&M series )

Map Design: 5
(Solid mapmaking! Unfortunately not done with the 1.4 patch which surely would have helped adding even more atmosphere but that doesn´t take off the fun of this map. Good Idea with the four elemental planes which add a lot of variety, challenge and fun (especially the scene at the beginning of the Air-plane :D ) to the whole.
)

Story/Instructions: 5
(I haven´t played a scenario that outranks this one with it´s extensive and most of all, exciting story. Most of the messages are a really good read! No more (well known) bored "klick-aways" ! I was curios for each new appearing message!)

Additional Comments:
Having successfully finished this one after almost two weeks of challenging play, I really have to review this one now due to it´s originality!
There should be more of such inspiring and exceptional scenarios!

This one is really outstanding due the lot of never seen before ideas! Certainly there exist maps which would earn a slightly higher rating was it just about design but since it´s the whole, the fun, that has to be evaluated, this is my personal Number One up to date and therefore I have to give the highest ranking! Thanks for this one! I hope to see more from this mapmaker soon !!
Pages: [1] 2 3 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability4.3
Balance4.3