Single Player?: Yes
Co-Op vs. AI?: No
PBEM/Hotseat?: Yes
Multiplayer Online?: Yes
# of Wizards: 2
# of players: 2
Skill Level: Average
Password Protected: No
A small map with two levels made primarily for 1 vs 1 human play, but should be ok for a game against the computer AI. Some story elements and events. This is my second map submitted. Made primarily for a fast PBEM experience. You should be able to scout your side of the map within the first 10 days after which it will take some time to scavenge, explore and build up for a strong strike against your enemy.

The premise...
Queen Noora and Cruel Grumshank are the two most powerful forces in the small but prosperous valley. A peace has blanketed the valley for the last decade as many independent war leaders hold fortifications separating the two would be antagonists.

By coincidence both leaders have decided that it is now the time to consolidate their power, spread their rule across the rich valley, and dominate. May the strongest and most cunning wizard prevail.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »
AuthorComments & Reviews   ( All | Comments Only | Reviews Only )
Swolte
Staff
Very nicely done!

Some of the mappainting is stunning and very inspiring! It almost seems like the map was too small for you, it kinda is filled with a lot of variety!
I'd love to see you take on a big project!

As for balance, I am not too worried as I know you to be one of the best pbem-players around! The map seems symmetrical but there are subtle differences.

The one that concerns me the most is that the elven players domain is much more effective than that of the Orc one. This in terms of summoning scouts to places and having domain cover more key sites (certainly when domain is expanded), to name a few.

I didn't spend more than 15 minutes staring at it, so correct if if I am wrong!

I like this type of map and I hope that Timelord will take a good look and use it for the Pbem Tournament. It might need some balance testing, though!
rat_peddler
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Playability: 5
Played fine as single player vs AI. Looks like would be even better as two player.

Balance: 4
Seemed like indepedents focused more on evil player (or was that human)?

Creativity: 4
Nice events.

Map Design: 5
Good layout interesting underground.

Story/Instructions: 4
A decent story line as well.

Additional Comments:
gerd The story makes hungry.
The map contains buildings which are not to easy to take. That's what I like!

But in my case the game ends after 34 days because red player was defeated and I've never seen a red unit. So, it would be good to give red player a stronger position!
Fubarno
File Author
Swolte: Thanks for the kind words and encouragement. You are right about the advantage to the elves by having an aboveground wiz tower as most action will take place aboveground. Lordtheron and Timelord are playing the map so I'll have to see how this discrepency plays out in their game. I mostly put the orc tower underground for map design flavor and gave the orcs a better network of underground tunneling possibilities to somewhat compensate. The orcs also have access to a slightly more powerful hero in the 'rescue' event than the elves.

After my large map, 'Destiny of Rivals' I wanted to try something that I could finish quicker and also start to play with events. Right now I'm working on a XL map. This should take me.... forever! ;-}

If TL uses the map in a tournament, that would be great... for me in the tournament! :-}

Rat_Peddler: Thanks for taking the time to try my map and review it. I like your AoW Heaven name and would like to name a hero in my next map after you.

Gerd: Thanks to you for your enthusiasm and comments for my map. Sorry about the untimely end, but the AI isn't human and doesn't react too well on maps designed for tricky balanced play, as I'm sure you know. I see a Gerd hero too on my next map.

Thanks guys!
donarudo
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.0
Creativity4.0
Map Design4.0
Story/Instructions4.0
Fun and challenging!

Balance: 4
Quite Winnable either side.

Creativity: 4
Very Good but small map.

Map Design: 4
Very well done.

Story/Instructions: 4
Interesting leaders, discriptions would have been nice.

Additional Comments:
Try bigger map...if you've got the time.
Ikki Fun one, first elves which went nice.. i did all the digging tho..

Then i tried orcs, and the elves died around turn 30.. never saw one of their units. I was pretty badly pressed by roaming neutrals aswell.. all energy went to that for a long time.

Access to third level units from the start, nice cash, along with full construction buildings would help quite a bit.
Fubarno
File Author
Donarudo; thanks for the review and glad you had fun with it. Unfortunately it seems that the ai wizards are getting destroyed by, I'm guessing, some raiders that make an appearance around turn 30. For the human player you get warnings of these events and can plan somewhat to counter.

Ikki; thanks for the comments. I purposely made the towns very primitive and in some cases specialized as to what can be built because on a small map like this, if too many powerfull units are being made too early the game won't last too long. It gives the player more time to build up, make strategic decisions, and struggle.

I'm working on a new map. This should take forever, but all people that comment, or review one of my maps will become a hero in my next map. I don't know if this is an incentive to contribute, but I'm too poor to send cash. ;-}

Swolte; couple other thing on the balance. I gave the orcs a slight advantage in their town growth potential. The orcs have a one step advantage on one of their towns. Also, The elven wizard domain doesn't reach across the water until 3rd level wiz tower, or 2nd level wiz tower with the farcaster upgrade. Finally, the orc leader will tend to leave the wiz tower and accompany the troops. He has the ability leadership 2 and the stats of a decent warrior to encourage him to get out and stay out. The two wizards will probably experience two different play styles.

[Edited on 08/04/06 @ 01:26 PM]

luna park
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
i can defintly play this map again

Balance: 5
even tho i only played orcs, my opponent played elves and we played tactical so i saw it well balanced.

Creativity: 5
lots of creativity here

loved it!

Story/Instructions: 5
i was attacked by cats that were giving the nomads trouble :)

Additional Comments:
nice job. Plenty of fun
Fubarno
File Author
Very (too) kind of you Luna Park. I'm glad you had fun with it and appreciate you taking the time to rate my map. A hero in my next map will be in your name if that's ok.
Idealistos
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance5.0
Creativity5.0
Map Design5.0
Story/Instructions5.0
Exceptionally good for PBEM due to the good balance (see below) and an interesting early game. Two starting parties and lots of places to explore lead to many actions each turn, starting from the first one. SP and MP online might be fun also.

Balance: 5
This map is probably the most balanced one I've played so far. Of course, each wizard gets something that another one lacks, like domain on the surface for Elves and ability to research Weaken or get Balloons quite early for Orcs. But overall, both races are almost equally strong.

Creativity: 5
Interesting dungeons, a lot of things accessible by digging, and nice concept of the map itself, with the river with only 2 bridges that divides the lands of the two wizards.

Same reasons as above, plus good usage of different terrains that makes the map look good.

Story/Instructions: 5
Quite a few heroes, each with his or her own story. The player is warned each time when some independents are spawned.

Additional Comments:
Although I've played this map only once (with Fubarno himself :)), I'd say that it is my favorite small map so far. The only map I can compare it with is Choice of Weapons, but I prefer Valley of Turmoil because it is simpler in design but still opens more strategic opportunities, at least in the early game.
Pages: [1] 2 » Last »

Post Review Post Comment

HGDL v0.8.2

Login
Forum Username:

Password:

Create a new account
Forgot password?
Rating
Breakdown
Playability5.0
Balance4.4